Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Is there a consensus here on what spray can top coat is the best? Airbrush is not an option for me. I recently got back into the hobby and the best thing I could find at hobby shops in the area was Testors Dullcote. It wasn't bad, honestly, but it looks a little splotchy if you get up really close. I think I remember hearing there are some laws preventing Japanese brands of aerosol sprays from being imported to the states?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

The main thing I'm working on now is my resin GP-03 though. While I appreciate how much effort Coreworks put into this kit, sawing off all the pour tabs and filling in all the imperfections is a total pain in the rear end.

Do you have some more info about this? GP-03S is one of my favorite suit designs and it's kind of a bummer that the MG and HG are both pretty dated. I know nothing about resin kits.

Unrelated; is there any Wing Zero Custom kit besides the PG that has white hands? Everything I've seen has the standard gray fingers with the white bit on the back of the hand. Even the RG. I guess I don't really get why it wouldn't have white hands like the official artwork, clips from EW, etc.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Well Manicured Man posted:

why isn't the Exia Amazing from Build Fighters red?

Wasn't it a rushed prototype that became the base for the Dark Matter? Or am I remembering that incorrectly / making poo poo up completely?

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Droyer posted:

So i've been building the Kotobukiya Shun Getter 1.

Sorry for the bad image. Would it be ok if i kept posting pictures when i build more?

I'd like to see more but yeah maybe don't let Michael J Fox take the picture next time.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

I know this isn't the point, but ninety five goddamned dollars? You could get a White Ogre, some grey paint, and an airbrush for that much money.

...forgot the White Ogre doesn't have high-mobility calves/backpack. SHIN MATSUNAGA CUSTOM, paint, and a lesser airbrush?

I know it's been talked about in this thread before but I'm using this post as my in. Is there such a thing as a cheap double action airbrush with compressor? Don't assume from my knowledge of these terms that I know what I'm talking about - I don't. I just heard these are the things you want to have. Can anyone make me a recommendation? I don't think I'm really willing to invest more than a hundred bucks.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

How garbage is the HGUC GP03S? It's super old but it's one of my favorite designs. I was actually thinking of using it for a kitbash but I'm guessing it wouldn't jive well with newer kits. Anybody built one?

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Yeah there's only ever been the ancient HG and ancient MG. Wish we could get a modern version in any scale, it's such a slick design. The Dendrobium kit is on my bucket list just because it's so ridiculous and really captured my imagination when I was younger, but yeah it's the same HG Stamen inside. Oh well, as far as a kitbash goes I guess it's not the worst thing in the world to grab an old cheap kit so I won't really care if I end up trashing it. Thanks all.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

So I'm picking up from this thread that the RG Sinanju is bad? I'm putting together the Unicorn right now and loving it and was thinking of getting him a friend. I guess if the Sinanju is no good I could go for the Banshee instead but the Sinanju is just such a nice looking design and I don't build enough Zeon-type kits.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

To whoever posted those Mazinger/Mazinkaiser kits earlier in the thread, I just noticed a new one this morning:

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

EVGA Longoria posted:

How do people paint really tiny parts?

I'm doing the 1/100 Grimgerde, and there's this tiny piece on the neck. Too small to alligator clip, and doing a stick w/ poster tack would either cover part of what I want painted or be so lightly attached that the pressure of the airbrush will blow it off.

I'm considering trying a dip, but I'm honestly not sure if that's any good?

Just out of curiosity, are you doing a custom painted build or do you just want it to match the rest of the grey frame or something? I had to go find some screencaps from the show but the piece is supposed to be white.

It would take some extra curing time but you could probably just lay it in a box and do one side, then flip it over and do the other side after it dries? Trying to be helpful but I don't really do much painting.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Finished an RG Unicorn and it's probably the first kit I've seen through from start to finish in a long long time. It was a very satisfying build and it looks great. The transformation is a little fiddly in a couple places but once it's in a fixed pose it holds together fine. Also got the Bande Desinee version and the big chunky shield was a nice touch and looks great. Also love that it can carry all its accessories regardless of what loadout you go with. I have it in Destroy Mode with the beam rifle in its hand, bazooka hooked to the backpack and the bazooka ammo clipped to the back waist skirt. Gunpla is freedom and I'm back in big time. Newly motivated to wrap up some half-finished kits in my backlog. And I ordered Beargguy [P]retty and Papagguy because they're perfect.

edit: Forgot to ask if anyone here has taken advantage of the HLJ Bonus Parts sale? If you buy a qualifying kit you get 2 randomly selected bonus weapons parts free. I'm gonna wait and see what I got and then maybe put together a custom based around whatever they send me.

JoeGlassJAw fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 30, 2018

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

Taking bets on whether those green stripes on the Moon Gundam head will be stickers

The highest res pic I can find of a finished kit from some hobby show seems to imply it has to be panel lined. I guess if you're willing to buy a weird kit from a weird manga you're expected to be the kind of person to spend actual money on a green marker to panel 4 tiny lines on said kit's head.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

1st Stage Midboss posted:

I finally got around to building my HGCC Turn A, but there's absolutely nothing making the lower body together and I can't find any steps I've missed. Did I cut/file down something too far, or is this a known issue?
There is a piece that the instructions make a point of saying "get this the right way round" and I can't see any notable difference (not that having it either way has changed anything) so I'm wondering if I messed that up without noticing.

I think the piece in question (A1, the one you have on top of the manual) is just there to cover up the peg connection for a stand so that shouldn't have any effect on the actual construction. Not sure about your main question though, I guess the waist parts aren't securing to the frame part that connects the legs? It looks like there's a groove in there that should slide onto the tabs on the front and back of the peg sticking up, but I haven't built the kit so I can't actually help with that bit.

edit: ah yeah it's probably what these guys said about step 23

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

PG GP03S. Followed by a 1/60 Dendrobium I can drive to work

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

OscarDiggs posted:

Torso plus head get.

Also stopping for today because my eyes are going cross-eyed every few minutes and it's giving me a head ache.

Those stickers are a huge pain in the rear end to get right and I put it more to luck then skill that they came out alright.

Really unhappy with sanding; it seems to do nothing to the nub itself while scratching the rest of the piece to high hell.

By clippers work out fine but the knife I got is some serious poo poo. I've been working with it for half an hour and the tip has bent slightly. Sure, £5 knife is £5 knife but christ that did not last long.

Also the little pole on the left keeps falling off while the one on the right is completely secure. No idea why.

Not sure if you're interested in panel lining at all, but I put together a sort of novice/intermediate building tutorial a while back to show my friends who have never done Gundam stuff how I do my thing. I don't put in nearly as much effort as some of the super skilled people in this thread, but this might be useful to you as a beginner. My approach is basically low-cost/minimal effort/pretty decent result. All the tools I use can be bought locally for a low price (microns, q-tips and a pencil eraser) or obtained from Amazon or similar retailers for pretty cheap (mid-level sprue cutters, gundam markers). It's a good way to improve results without investing too much in the hobby imo.

https://imgur.com/gallery/kNXggLR

Hope you find this useful if you continue with the hobby!

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

OscarDiggs posted:

It is!

And it looks like I can do most of it even though the model is part way done.

Thanks!

No problem! Glad it helps. And yeah you can do it while building or when done, I know a lot of people in this thread alone do it after the build is done. I like doing it beforehand for a lot of reasons but mainly so that when I snap everything together it's just done.

The only investment outside stuff you can get at a craft store that I would definitely recommend is the grey gundam marker. For whatever reason a fine tip permanent grey marker is hard to find (I don't think micron makes one, for example) and grey looks great on white plastic - which you're going to have a lot of on the RX-78-2 - as opposed to black which stands out a little too much imo.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

man I'm I think in the minority here when I say I'm a huge fan of the G-Self design so this may not come as a surprise but I actually do not like that at all. Adding a bunch of sharp angles to it is jarring and really messes with what I like about it. Love the head though. I will always agree with more mustache.

edit: oh what a horrid snipe but I have nothing else to contribute so here's the post again

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

BadMedic posted:

How do you pre-order it? I'm not familiar with the site, and I don't see a purchase button.

RillAkBea posted:

You can't purchase direct from the bandai site, you just have to wait until it comes up for preorder on retail sites.

Some sites are already sold out on preorders though.

HLJ's still got em https://www.hlj.com/rg-all-purpose-humanoid-decisive-battle-weapon-artificial-human-evangelion-unit-01-dx-transporter-set-bans59015

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Napoleon Nelson posted:

I don't know if these are real, but I want them so bad:
https://twitter.com/iyo2014/status/1228697930585923584?s=19

dang these are slick. would love to see this design aesthetic scaled up to regular zaku proportions. giving me metal gear vibes a little bit

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

RG Tallgeese II goes up for pre-order on P Bandai USA in about 20 minutes if anyone is interested!

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Burns posted:

I want to start doing my own panel lines especially on HG kits. What are the best/most user friendly tools for that?

It comes down to personal preference because there are a few ways to go about it, but my technique of choice is micron/gundam marker, draw in the lines, then take a q tip and rub out the excess and use a pencil eraser to clean up any further smudging. Quick and easy!

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

MGEX should've been a GP03S with a 1/100 Dendrobium the size of my car with lights and sound and could actually fly don't @ me

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

First pics of the new Wing Zero Ver. Ka are out.

https://bandai-hobby.net/item/3954/

It looks pretty good! It comes with the non-canonical shield so it can do bird mode and it has some hardpoints in the wrists for the twin buster rifles which should be required by law, really.

Wow that crouching pose looks amazing, that's really impressive. The old 1/100 HG was one of the first kits I ever built so it's nostalgic for me. I prefer 1/144 these days but I might have to pick this up.

Also Xaerael I'm excited to see your Dendrobium build. I don't do much modeling anymore but that kit was like my holy grail as a kid.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Gonna post this here instead of BSS action figure thread. Anybody have any of the Mafex Evangelions? I got Eva-02 and the first thing I did was try to swap the shoulders and broke it. There's a miniscule ball joint on a peg that connects the swappable shoulders armor to the arm. I've never had to do a fix like this, any tips? I've heard of pin vices but I have no experience. Could there be one small enough? I'm worried about just using like, super glue or something because it's a joint that is going to take stress. I'll take a pic when I can if needed.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Does anybody know of a glow in the dark paint that actually paints on green in the light, rather than white? Was thinking about picking up an RG Eva and was hoping to make the green parts glowy. I know of the p-bandai night combat version but I missed out and it's pricy aftermarket.

On that note, I swear I saw a post on instagram earlier of an p-bandai RG Eva 01 reissue (maybe slight recolor?) that comes with the launch dock and the spear of Cassius like in the new movie, but I think it got deleted because now I can't find it, but keep your eyes peeled for that if that sort of thing interests you.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Some Gundam Expo stuff is live on P-Bandai! Looks like they're already getting hit with some congestion. I managed to get a crystal body Unicorn and two painting model entry grade grandpas before it crapped out.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

JoeGlassJAw posted:

I swear I saw a post on instagram earlier of an p-bandai RG Eva 01 reissue (maybe slight recolor?) that comes with the launch dock and the spear of Cassius like in the new movie, but I think it got deleted because now I can't find it, but keep your eyes peeled for that if that sort of thing interests you.

It went up again on some socials so keep an eye on P-Bandai. The launch dock will be a standalone release with an AT Field. Seeing Feb 2022 release date for both. Eva 01 JPY 5,500; Dock/AT field set JPY 2,420

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Anybody ever ordered from Samuel Decal? They've got a kit I want for a really good price but I've never heard of them. Any experiences on whether or not they're legit/shipping costs/times?

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

I also got a present from P-Bandai and I am very excited to put this thing together

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Digihazard posted:

I just finished the MG Strike Rouge and real happy as its the first one i've panel lined (and 4th ever gunpla build) and im eagerly awaiting delivery of my next one, the RG Eva01 Night combat version

I have a couple of quesions for the experienced - do people recomend lining the Eva's? I got 00 and it looks pretty awesome without any, and secondly when it says "neon" for this version's green parts does that just mean see through or will it actually glow?

I did a little bit of panel lining on mine, but especially with the dark purple of the night combat version you really can't tell. The engineering is so good that anywhere you might think you would have to line is actually parts separation so you don't honestly need to. Excuse the mess in the background.

And yes; you could even say it glows.

This has been by far my favorite RG build; I haven't had this much fun building since I was a kid.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Been playing around with the idea of a kitbash. I'm more of an illustrator than a modeler so I put some color tests together :

kits used are gn-xiii, amazing exia, and g bouncer. I don't have an airbrush so it probably won't get painted but I think it will be a fun test to see if it works proportionally. It's not a wild look but I think it's fun

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

I like the 01 scheme and disagree about the top heaviness, the thighs do a lot of work.

I'm kinda surprised it has the classic V fin instead of a Zaku/Graze/Unicorn style horn though. That seems like a gimme.

oh yeah i wouldn't actually go with either scheme in practice, just wanted to test it out with those since they're recognizable. if i did go eva though i do have a spare zaku i could grab a horn from...

unrelated: how are the OO RGs? P-Bandai US still has Exia Repair II, qan[t], and seven sword up. im gonna grab the new movie color eva 01 RG but need something else to get me up to $100 to take advantage of the shipping coupon (already used the other coupon on Zarbon). i think they all look equally cool; one better than the other? or if build quality is rough on them should i just pass and eat the shipping cost instead?

JoeGlassJAw fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 28, 2021

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

gonna dump my own twitter thread here:
https://twitter.com/JoeGlassJAw/status/1478118118803267584?s=20
i'm going through some old builds from when i was a kid (i'm in my mid 30s now so mostly early HGs/MGs) and finding newer versions of them to take a little nostalgia trip. just wanted to post here in case anyone else wants to follow along. so far i've done RG Z'Gok and the Entry Grade american grandpa from Target

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

What is a Core Gundam II and what is going on with it's legs? Looks like it got it's shins blown off in WW2 and it's been skipping leg day ever since.
https://www.target.com/p/bandai-spirits-hgbd-r-core-gundam-ii-titans-color-hg-1-144-model-kit/-/A-84679708#lnk=sametab

it's a little guy that turns into a big guy. the legs are small because it slots into armor that makes it more proportionally familiar

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Moai Ou posted:

FOMO caused me to snag the last PGUnleashed RX-78 that Gundam Planet had in stock. I've somehow never built a PG before in the 20 years I've been building, and I am psyched. It really does look like the ultimate gunpla. Are any other PGs worth the hefty price tag?

The Unleashed seems like an attempt to breathe some new life back into a neglected line; or just a space to have fun in spite of the rest of the line, depending on how you look at it. I feel like at this point there are better versions of every PG suit in either HG, MG, or RG form. Eva included, as grassy gnoll said. Exia was the last one that I think was well received and even that one is like 5 years old at this point. Unless you're crazy about 1/60 as a scale PG is pretty underwhelming imo. That being said I've never built a PG so I could be way off base lol

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Electrophotonic posted:

Built my first RG and boy was he a fiddly lad! But I love him

hey, great work. this is an awesome shot with those figure-rise effect pieces

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Warmachine posted:

Camo Sazabi is messing with my head though.

lol the camo pattern seems to be scaled based on what it's applied to. it's very crowded and small on the GM thing's gun and then it's huge and spread out on the Sazabi's shield. hope you can play with the scaling on patterns

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

never really tried modding before but i bought some tiny battery powered LEDs that switch on and off with a magnet. no wires or anything. I carved out a little space in my kotobukiya megaman x's blaster arm for one and it went great!

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Warmachine posted:

Very slick. It looks like it should come out of the box that way. Also, where did you get the LED kit from? That's a really useful way to avoid having to mod wires/switches outside of the kit.

these! https://www.ebay.com/itm/333762901757?hash=item4db5d1b6fd:g:YEsAAOSwPAVfkdaS
yeah I wanted to avoid having wires or switches, worked perfectly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

got my RG eva 01 3.0+1.0 version in and built

glad I went with both the P-Bandai variants on this kit (night combat and this one). they both look awesome. the glow in the dark gimmick rules on the night combat and the green POPS on the new 3.0+1.0 one, it looks amazing