Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

BlitzBlast posted:

I was all ready to blow my latest paycheck on a MG Tallgeese II and some more 1/100 X kits when I stopped, looked at the Gundam X shrine in the corner of my room, and realized I have enough kits.

It's like I'm learning!

You should instead buy 8 1/144 X's and the resin kits to convert them into GX-Bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

How are you going to do the heads? Take them off GMs or something?

Also, how'd you wind up with that title, anyway?

You seem to have missed the resin conversion kits that are also in that picture. They're $$$$$$$$$$$ of course. But hey G-Bits.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

signalnoise posted:

You guys totally got me interested and I looked up what a Gundam X looks like and now I'm glad I have personal preferences because I laughed and didn't buy it

No wonder you're friends with Dickeye. Badpinions aplenty to be had!!!

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

I also dont care for x gundam designs. I have never seen any of its media. X Maoh is cool, but only because it has a laser skull chest.

That's crossbone maoh. You can tell because its backpack is two huge rear end bones.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Monaghan posted:

All right guys.

I want something big and dumb for Christmas. I haven't done a pg in about ten years. So far I've whittled it down to:

PG Strike (or Rouge, getting the pack either way)

PG MK II

PG GP-01

PG Unicorn

Give me your thoughts. Should I even risk getting the PG unicorn giving that the multitude of problems that could arise?

HGUC Neo Zeong. Or Dendrobium. Whichever plastic atrocity you prefer. Way better investments than wobbly PGs.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Kibner posted:

Yup. My favorites so far are Acguy, Juaggu, Hygogg, and Z'Gok. The Gogg, Zock, and Zogok are ok. Any other Zeon suits I left out of that list?

The Capule! Which is the true best amphibious suit.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Warmachine posted:

What are everyone's opinions of the RG Zeta? Is it well designed? Does the transformation gimmick work well?

It's a god drat zeta kit and an RG. Guess.

If you even look at it funny it will break into a million pieces and it is poo poo at transforming

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

TARDISman posted:

The other Rex is black.

Yes but they posted the Rex model that came out before the black Rex. I'm assuming it's a preorder for a new run of the older Rex model?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

The answer is always Dragonar colors you gat drat plebs.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

I think the white looks really cool when it's weathered. It's a transformable kit that I've never built so I don't know how paint on the frame will mess with that, but if it doesn't I think a cool dark gunmetal works well as a contrast to the white/red, with the thrusters a lighter silver.

Also, watch Gundam, it's pretty good.

It's an old Zeta kit so as usual, do not transform it unless you want it to fall apart.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I think I won't touch those series with a 10-foot pole now.

But you watched 08th MS Team which also has really bad writing? 0083 at least has it being really good looking going for it. 08th MS Team has... the Gouf Custom I guess?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

RG GM, RG Gouf, and RG Ground Gundam have been in planning hell for... four years now? Anyway it's not all that weird of a guess.

I'm pretty sure the image you're referring to was just a silly promo thing. Since the only thing from it to ever materialize from it was the Z'Gok and it was Char's at that.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Colon Semicolon posted:

So this arrived today. wanted to see if the Volks offering was any better than the kotobukiya kit. looking at the runners and instructions, it's got a few parts that have simpler joints, so hopefully that translates to not having to cement-meld every tiny thing in place.

One thing is bothering me though:

What do I do with this? is this a wet decal or something different? I've never had to work with wet decals except on the other Fei Yen kit, and I ended up ruining those and having to paint that kit manually. can't exactly afford to make that mistake with this though, so figure I should ask.

The sheet is blue so those are waterslide decals yes, also as with most volks/hasegawa kits you have to do those mandatorily bc they dont hold your hand like koto/bandai

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

What's the deal with the MG Turn A arms? I've looked it over several times and I can't see how I've built them anything but correctly, but the elbow joint pops off at the slightest provocation, and doesn't ever slide fully into the slot it's meant for. Also, the bicep armor just kind of jiggles around on the bicep, it doesn't actually click on to anything.

Push it in until it pops. thats literally all it is.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Char's Z'Gok by far. Followed by the MK II. The SEED ones are even more fragile than the RX-78-2 from what I've heard.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

OK, MG Turn X owns except from it's floppy right arm. I guess it was inevitable due to the extra weight of that big claw.

The arm is fine if you don't use the effects parts if I remember correctly..

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

SD suits that were announced but not revealed some time ago are probably BFTs triplets suits.

Except only one of them was an SD kit, the other was a parts set and the third one was a regular HGBF. It's the Gunpla Academy set obviously.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

It could be one SD kit that makes all three suits, like the EZ-8 they just put out.

It's the dragonar units god drat it not a lovely EZ-8!!!

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

AGE's saving grace was both sides having great suit designs. I mean, the plot is incomprehensible, and a solid 30% of the action scenes are reused at some point, but the suits look cool, and they make great gunpla.

Don't make me do this meng, Don't do it! I will :words: about AGE if you don't stop.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

The Dregs posted:

I don't know anything about this hobby, but my son and I saw some models at the local hobby store and he really, really wants to get into it. He is 10. I looked around a bit on Amazon and found this: http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-MS-06F-2-Zaku-Zeon-Scale/dp/B0032ZD5P2/ref=pd_sim_t_46?ie=UTF8&refRID=1SQ5HVZP2CH2HGCSDDDP . H e likes the beefier looking ones like as opposed to the skinny ones with huge guns and fins errywhere. Can you perhaps point me towards some more affordable models in this vein that would be approriate for a 10 year old.

We tried watching some old Macross stuff on Hulu today. Macross 2. He didn't like it. Too many weird girls in bathing suits he said. Are there some cartoons more suited to the younger mindset as well?
Macross II is really bad, so that's a good sign!

But yeah like the post above me said, Gundam Build Fighters is the ticket.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

The Dregs posted:

We actually just tried to watch the show and he hated it. The robot parts were cool, but most of the show seems to be about teenage girls gushing over various things. So that link is very appreciated!

Your son might hate fun. :negative:

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Wrong beargguy. Post above me linked the correct one though it ships from japan via SAL so might as well get this one: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10122422

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The first half of Build Fighters Try isn't as good, but halfway through they've brought the chief writer back just in time for the Nationals tournament taking up the rest of the series :allears:. The kits are pretty good though.

Uh, Kuroda was always the writer for BF Try.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

dogsicle posted:

How does the customs stuff work with HLJ in the US? I've got several kits and some supplies sitting there now and, being new to this, didn't expect any hassle beyond regular shipping. :ohdear:
Everything I've ordered from Japan previously was from individual sellers and much smaller.

It's untaxed. Don't worry unless you're ordering a literal shipping container via freight.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

pope archibald posted:

Does Hobby Search still have $12 flat shipping? if so ho does one go about getting it? I was about to place an order until I saw my shipping was going to be $40 which is only a $3 difference from amazon.

It's my brother's birthday and they are having a sale so I figured it was time to get some more gunpla.

That's hobbywave, completely different site. HobbySearch has never had affordable shipping.

e: the op is wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Droyer posted:

The Bandai 1/20th scale Scopedog is very good. There's also 1/35th models by Wave, but I don't have any experience with them.

The Wave models are ok, but they're way too expensive and just barely above the level of detail of a high grade for 3-4x the price. Go with the Bandai ones.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 7, 2015