Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Bandai at least had the foresight to make the sleeves markings raised, so that doing a reverse wash or detail painting is easy as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

First think I'm gonna do with a Hi-Mock is make a Hi-Mocku Shiki.

On a somewhat related note, is there a rattlecan chrome color that you guys would recommend? I don't have an airbrush yet but I want to do blue candycoating on my Hy-Gogg. I used Tamiya Silver Leaf and Clear Red on my red frame, but it didn't come out as metallic as I had hoped. Am I screwed until I get a sweet airbrush?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I usually do a chrome enamel with some clear green/blue/red over it.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

For a kit described in-continuity as "a gunpla made for girls" it's probably got some of the broadest appeal of any kit.

Can you still get the original Beargguy? I remember seeing it said the Gunpla Builders kits were pretty limited.

That one's pretty popular so you shouldn't have much problem finding it. One of my friends picked it up at a convention and they had tons.

Edit: here's one

My friend is painting it like Kamen Rider because she loving loves Kamen Rider.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Hey guys NZ is on sale, if that's your kind of thing.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I still can't get over the photo of the woman holding the box.

Yeah this thing is XBOX huge.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Just ordered my first airbrush and compressor! My life has officially been taken over.

On another note, I've been working on my Red Frame for months now, I'm almost done but I've hit a snag.

I'm doing a panel wash for the first time, but it never seems to turn out quite right. The wash is going into the panel lines with the magic of capilary action, but when I go to clean it up, I always end up making the lines look like butt, and the q-tip doesn't seem to absorb the paint, so I end up pushing it all over the panel. Has anyone else had this issue? What can I do for it? Am I just getting the Q-tip too wet with lighter fluid?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

Hell yeah it does. Have you seen the Try Burning yet?

The Try Burning has too much fire imo. Makes the kit look way too busy.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Can I use thinner to clean an airbrush if I don't have any airbrush cleaner handy?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Someone please take a pic of your Mock holding an MG 7 sword gundam giant rear end sword.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Welp, I think I just wrecked the red frame astray that I've been working on for months. In the home stretch. Fun fact, Testors Glosscote can seriously make enamel washes cloudy as gently caress. Just gonna let it cure and snap it together. I've done all I can and need no move on to other kits.

Edit: I normally use Mr Topcoat but my lhs was out.

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 16, 2015

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I just got an airbrush so future floor polish is now an option for me.

I know they changed the name or something recently so just to clarify, this is what I want right? Do I thin it with anything?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

It kinda matches the show though!

I envy your ability to paint, I'm still on spoons.

I'm starting on spoons this week. Just got my airbrush. Before now it's always been hand painting and rattle cans.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Can I get some sage airbrush advise? I just got my badger 105, and I went to put the little nozzle guy in:

But I can't get the tip to unscrew. The manual says it should be able to, but I've tried several times to no avail. I'm afraid of exerting too much force and breaking it before I get to use it.

Am I just being a wuss? Should I break out the pliers? I think a few other people in this thread that have the same airbrush, so please let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Oblique Angle posted:

The tip in the little vial is the spare; there's already a tip in the brush. As for removing the cover, I would stay away from pliers unless it's a last resort. What I've used in the past when there was dry paint in there was a clothespin. It gets a really good grip and since the wood is softer than the metal, there's less chance of catastrophic damage.

Awesome thanks. I didn't know the little needle was supposed to stick out of the end so I though I had to add the tip.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I've had success stripping paint (specifically Tamiya Spray) By soaking the parts in dot3 brake fluid for 24 hours, and then gently scrubbing with a toothbrush (not the one you use on your teeth dummy). One 24 hour+ scrub took off the layer of clear red, and another took off the layer of chrome underneath. Didn't hurt the plastic or make it brittle or anything. I highly recommend it.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Bimmi posted:

There are basically three good ways to get that frost effect on the beam parts:

-- water-buff it out with a soft toothbrush and fine scouring powder. Brush along the length of the part on both sides until it gets that gauzy appearance (note: may take a gently caress of a long time)

– spray it with a flat clearcoat. Nothing will fog your clear poo poo up faster than this, which is bad if you're building a car but often good for Gundams.

– wet it up with a thin corrosive solution like Bestine or even paint thinner and let dry. I like this method best even though it's kind of tricky and also fairly fuckin' incovenient.

I think a good effect would be doable with sandpaper alone if you really know your poo poo but most people don't. I'm kind of curious what a wire brush might do on it tho.

Flat topcoat confirmed for making clear effects parts seem lighter.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

No, the Cancer that is trans-am kits is leaking into build fighters!

Why sell one kit when you can sell one kit twice? Except to no one.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

You wouldn't be resting the gun on the asteroid or bit of debris or whatever, you'd be bracing the gun on it.

It's more likely that the feddies wouldn't make a completely different gun just for space. If it still shoots who cares if it can also be used on earth?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I just used my airbrush for the first time. Holy poo poo the difference between it and hand painting is night and day. Painted all the grey parts on the Hy Gogg I'm working on Gunmetal, and it actually looks like gunmetal, as opposed to sparkly dark grey when I hand painted it. I can't wait til all the blue parts are ready. This kit is turning out sick as gently caress.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Got some potato quality photos for of my WIP Hy Gogg.

Tamiya Gunmetal for the frame pieces, and Tamiya Metallic Blue for the outer plates. I really like the way it's turning out. I know that clear colors over chrome gives a better candy coat look, but I'm on a deadline with this robot so I figured I'd give the metallic colors a shot. They look way better when used with an airbrush, all my previous experience is using them with brushes, which looks like butt.

Coated the gunmetal parts with future, coating the blue tomorrow. Then I get to start detail painting and putting it together!

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Ka0 posted:

For those of us without access to future, this is the perfect replacement and you should have a bottle

I haven't used this, but alclad II chrome is amazing.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

i think you should properly credit artists, especially if their art is childrens model kits

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

WIP In Progress Hy Gogg:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

An Angry Bug posted:

peeNamaste, that is god damned gorgeous.

Thanks :) I've been working really hard on it, and it's finally starting to come together.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Supposedly another season of Build Fighters is already in the works.

I hope they don't make the TRY mistake of adding so many antagonists that we don't know what the gently caress is going on.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Now with legs!

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That looks gorgeous. It's just the right shade of metallic blue.

Thanks! I just have to do a little more detail and another coat if future and its done! Going to make a base with some foam rocks or something too.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Ka0 posted:

I like this. Paints and coats plz.

The blue is Tamiya Metallic Blue. It looks like butt when hand brushed, but great airbrushed. I know people usually get better results by doing clear colors over chrome over black, but I'm building this on a timeline and didn't have time for 3 coats of paint.

The grey is Tamiya gunmetal. Also turns out great from an airbrush, but looks like just sparkly black when hand brushed. L

The topcoat is just pledge floor shine.

I just finished detailing and panel washing, so after I put the final clear coat on this baby it's time to start working on the base!

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Sorry if I missed it, but could you step me through the technique for the metalic painting, or point me to a guide?

Sure, it's nothing too complex. I did a coat of gray primer to start, and then I used Tamiya Metallic Blue for the blue bits, and Tamiya Gunmetal for the inner bits. (Airbrushed both colors, as when they're hand painted they look like wet butt) Once that was done I used Pledge Floor Polish as clear coat. The red tubes are Model Master "chevy engine red" enamel. I painted those by covering the whole pieces in liquid mask, and cutting out the tubes. Then the trusty airbrush again. This didn't work on the hand tubes though, because I guess I didn't put a thick enough clear coat on, so I had to repaint those a couple of times. Luckily they were big and straight enough to mask with tape and foil. I did some heat effects on the claws and boosters by doing a few passes with clear colors. I started with a very thin layer of clear yellow, then added some clear red around the tips, and some clear blue at the base. It doesn't show up very will in photos, but when it catches the light in person it looks really cool.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I hope that helps.

P.S. I finished it!

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I'm visiting Portland right now. Are there any shops I should stop by?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Turning a lovely kit I built a while ago into a trophy for a con panel I'm running.

To specify, the kit its self isn't lovely, but I was inexperienced when I made it, so the candy coating and panel wash looked like total balls. Plus I borked when I had to sand the elbows to prevent the paint from scratching off.

I'm getting some orange peel, but I'm okay with that since the base is going to be a pizza box. (first place will get a real prize, this is just something to make them laugh)

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Bimmi posted:

I'm not seeing orange peel so much as the paint having an adverse reaction to something. Did you lay any sort of undercoat first?

Big time. This baby was fully painted and glosscoated. I wasn't even sure if the plastic could handle this spraypaint. Just had to try it though.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I'm also paneling at a nerdo convention this weekend. Luckily it's a smaller local one that's mostly based around art so I don't think it'll be too bad. Doing a videogame tournament with gunpla as prizes. Should be fun.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

StalkofWheat posted:

I always pray for a G Gundam RG kit.

Please Bandai, RG Maxter ...

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

chutche2 posted:

I made a thing

I didn't put a lot of time into the nub marks because of how huge they are and how cheap the kit is, I sanded them down smooth but the ones around the neck are really obnoxious

Last page, but you should sand the nubs before you snap together, and start with a higher grit sanding stick/file. When you sand pieces individually you can get much better angles to get a smooth finish. If you start with rough grit, clean up with medium grit, and polish by wet sanding with super fine grit, those nub marks won't know what hit em!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyzqjTesJ-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJmPRnelZAY

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

EthanSteele posted:

RD are vaguely 1/144 ish with some obvious exceptions. Kshatriya is a little smaller than it should be and like 3 times the price but it has a million effect parts and poo poo. Personally I love 'em, especially for things to mess with compared to kits, but Bandai own me. Some stuff also doesn't have kits and I'm a Super Robot Wars guy.

I just used the Tamiya panel lining pre watered enamel stuff and its good as hell, I'm awful at mixing things and can't deal with the mess so it's perfect for idiots like me. Hopefully it lasts as long as I hope. I have the black and either the grey or brown so I guess I need the third one, especially if it's the brown because that should be good on the Red Frame Astrays????

Get the RE! The Gelgoog will always exist but who knows with the RE line!

Sorry if it's a dumb question but what's the difference between RE and MG?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Done my first two Reconguista kits:

Both were simple, straightforward builds, especially the Elf Bullock. The Montero had three downright evil stickers, and the Bullock was clearly a compromised design (especially where poseability was concerned), but the end result was good enough that it's hard to complain about either.

My gf build the Elf Bullock last month and was also super shocked at how easy it went together. It's definitely a weird design to pose, since the laser feet kind of always point backwards, which doesn't make much sense, and having them point forward makes the legs look dumb. She settled for Robot Jesus and that was that.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

dogsicle posted:

for some reason i couldn't find any posts of the G-Reco scratchbuilds in Hobby Japan. Gundamguy posted the Fold Knife but not the other two: Gaitrash and Z'gocky
my copy came today so i made some mediocre scans: http://imgur.com/a/aJh9v

Wow there's a robot called Gay Trash? I really need to watch g-reco. Too bad it's all blocked in the US now? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

So I've been in a huge gunpla slump lately, and haven't built anything in my backlog (not like your backlog, it's like 4 kits or so and hasn't grown in a while). I finally sat down and started breaking down the Build Burning / Ez-SR kitbash I started a month or so ago. It's going to be called "Fist of the Joestar". It's basically A jojo posed Kenshiro with a stand made out of the other pieces (with leds that I've been having problems with)

Once I sand down the putty on a few parts it'll be ready for primer. I'm excited!