Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Thanks Barnes and Noble. This is how the descent begins.

I already have an Z'gok-E on the way as well. At least High Grade are hella cheap.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
This was fun!

Last time I did one of these was some baby mode Epyon. This was incredibly more complex but was a pretty relaxing experience aside from the stickers. Am I correct in understanding larger kits and and Master Grade make less or no use of stickers? I managed to do most of them fine except for the eyes, which was probably the most important QQ. I'm thinking of doing some panel lining. I also need some better snips and maybe a few different tweezers.

Now I think I'm gonna work my way through all the goofy looking Zeon dudes in the HGUC line. Like I said I already ordered a Z'gok-E. Wanna work my way through Quebely, Hygogg, Acguy, maybe cap it with a Gouf. Can anyone comment on if any of those are particularly good or bad kits?

MJP posted:

Holy crap, I need to buy a whole new table O_O It'd kinda look awesome done up in Russian green with a giant USSR propaganda mural painted on the side in some bizarro-world Cold War diorama.
I think you mean paint it with a starfield and badass Wizard-on-a-Pegasus mural.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kibner posted:

I think most of those are relatively old kits. I enjoyed building my Hygogg and Acguy.
Yeah but they seem easy enough to find, and the Quebeley has a "Revive" re-release.

I assume I have my choice of like 30 different HG Gouf versions though.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Reds posted:

Z'gok E and Hygogg are a bit old so keep that in mind.

For the Qubeley and Gouf, make sure you get the Revive Qubeley and either the R35 Gouf or Gouf Custom! The original Qubeley and Gouf are outdated bricks, and the Qubeley Revive is brand new and has much better colour separtion as opposed to relying on stickers. You'll be very disappointed with the articulation of the old Gouf compared to the more modern versions.

Here's the Revive without stickers next to the original Qubeley, other than the eyes. The sticker sheet is tiny compared to the original.

Thanks for the input! I'm not worried about the Z'gok since he's a real simple looking dude I imagine they can't mess up that much. I may hold off on the Hygoogg though. That Build Fighters Gouf looks amazing and seems the way to go. I really like the articulated eye and the sabers. Related, do they make generic accessory packs to go with these? It would be cool if I could give that Gouf a Heat Hawk, bazooka, or machine gun.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You want the System Weapon packs (Specifically for the three weapons you want; 001, 002, and 006). They're a little pricey, but they're RG-quality weapons with a bunch of customizable parts. There's also the Build Custom line (HGBC), which is entirely HG accessory backpacks and weapons that are compatible with anything from the newer main-line standardized kits (the Wing Gundam onwards) as well as the Build Fighters line itself.
Thanks for the heads up. Those are like $18 each though and even if they're RG quality, for that much I'd rather just buy a Zaku kit and steal the accessories.

Is it crazy to get both the Gouf Custom and the BF Gouf because they each look good in different ways? Repeatedly buying kits of the same model is normal behavior, right?

Also I showed my wife Agguguy last night and she said if I bought one she'd throw it to the pets to destroy.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
My Z'gok is still on a slow boat from Japan, but I got my Build Fighters Gouf in today!

I haven't done the rest of the accessories yet, but this guy looks great. My only issue: Floppy Leg. One of the pegs is incredibly loose and I'm not sure what to do about it. I've tried to tacky it up by sticking on and removing tape from the peg and that's helped a little, but not quite enough. Any suggestions?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TaurusOxford posted:

In terms of aesthetics, they are:

Which is which?

Also what am I looking at for "best" MG Zaku II?

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 1, 2016

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Kinda got that GM Sniper thing going on with it's head, which is the best GM head
The best GM head is the one you toss in the trash.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 4, 2016

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Darth Walrus posted:

Get a mechanical pencil for panel-lining. It makes the details pop a lot more.
I kept reading to get grey marker. Why did no one tell me this before?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kibner posted:

:agreed:

Just wish more of them were into the aquatic UC suits. :v:

It's me. I'm the new guy into UC aquatic suits.

My Z'Gok is still on its way from Japan... :negative:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Most newer models are stocked on Amazon through US retailers. My case on the zgok is I ordered an older model from the cheapest retailer with free shipping which happened to be a Japanese retailer sending it on a slow boat across the Pacific.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kibner posted:

Yay! My favorite is the Acguy, but the Hy-Gogg is also really awesome.

I've heard the HGUC Hygogg is terribly engineered though = (

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
idgi

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

PaintVagrant posted:

Someone asked to see my little group of HGs. I am a filthy casual who doesn't really know anything about gundam.

Which one should I do next?

who is glowy greenman in the back right?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

mr. stefan posted:

Its far less interesting than it looks

I dunno, I'm kinda into these pictures.

Unrelated: Why do I keep looking at non-cheap Zaku variants? :(

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 9, 2016

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Anyone have any strong feelings about/between the following?

Zaku F2000

Zaku Warrior Live Concert Version

Zaku I Thunderbolt Version

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
1000 times better than the Zaku II F2 is what it is. It also has two extra arms in its backpack to hold more weapons.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'll skip the ZAKU warrior then since it's both $$$ and an old kit. I'll probably get that Zaku I first and F2000 after. I figured it would be a sticker nightmare looking at that pro finish and seeing all those painted circle things that are frequently bad stickers, plus the caution stripe trim. Maybe I'll get some paints and brushes to get in on that fresh nightmare, since it's a sweet looking kit with lots of details to pop.

Zugock-E update: still not arrived

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 13, 2016

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I just finished the HG RX-78-02 and it's pretty good minus some loose peg joints, but I can't for the life of me get a decent pose of it holding the beam rifle using the side swing grip?

Is this just a fool's errand?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Revive.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mordja posted:

"Bury me in my models."

That full armor Unicorn looks so good = (

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Guess who finally showed up :3:

Came with a piece of candy and a kind note from the seller.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

mrg220t posted:

Guys, I need some help.
This is my first time using an airbrush and I just finished spraying my gunpla with Pledge Floor Polish last night and this morning I saw that there are dark stains on my kit.

What I did (all using airbrush):
1. Primed with Mr. Surfacer 1000
2. Sprayed with Mr Color Gold
3. Spray Pledge Floor Polish straight from bottle.

Could it be that I may have sprayed too much and it pooled and created the dark stains?
Anyone know the cause of this and how to fix this issue?

Looks like cool weathering to me!

The fiddly bits on the arm are as fiddly as I was warned and one of the peg sockets wouldn't hold until I gummed it up with adhesive, but I'm pretty satisfied with the kit. Not the most versatile when it comes to posing, but he can breakdance real good and I just love this mech.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 21, 2016

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kuvo posted:

Was thinking of doing the Qubeley next so Zeta wasn't so lonely on my bookshelf. What is the difference between these two kits?

http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-Qubeley-White-Basic-Scale/dp/B00030EVC0/
http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-Qubeley-Revive-Universal-Century/dp/B0162CNOCU/
Get the Revive any time it's an option. Here's a rundown between the versions someone gave me earlier in the thread.

Reds posted:

For the Qubeley and Gouf, make sure you get the Revive Qubeley and either the R35 Gouf or Gouf Custom! The original Qubeley and Gouf are outdated bricks, and the Qubeley Revive is brand new and has much better colour separtion as opposed to relying on stickers. You'll be very disappointed with the articulation of the old Gouf compared to the more modern versions.

Here's the Revive without stickers next to the original Qubeley, other than the eyes. The sticker sheet is tiny compared to the original.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So tell me about Perfect Grades. If MG Zaku is bad, is the PG any better? Is the Red Comet any different? I know it's a million years old but I really love Zakus and the rest of the line seems to be 30 different Unicorns.

Also, why aren't the 1/100 IBO models part of the MG line?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kibner posted:

Still, I highly recommend picking one of the Zeon aquatic suits and falling in love with the aesthetics.

He should get this

Then do a Zock after because it comes with extra decals for one.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So my wife decided to get in on this after watching me build some models, though she's never seen a Gundam. She picked out the Space Jahannam from B&N, or as she calls it "Space Jam Nick." Anyways I saw G-Self yesterday and decided to pick it up without looking at reviews. Once I saw the sticker sheet I knew I had hosed up.

It's still a fun build with a lot of engineered color separation and neat clear plastic and none of the stickers are in difficult spots. Still, there are so many, I immediately wished I had bought the Robot Damashii figure instead (which I have seen in person and looks goddamned SPECTACULAR.) I'll get some pictures of G-Self and Space Jam Nick later, and maybe a pic of my whole collection which has exploded, for a hobby I started at the beginning of the year.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Electric Lady posted:

It seems like the G-Reco models bring in new folks with their unique designs. My younger brother's first models were a "Space Jam Nick" and a Gaeon, respectively.

Definitely please post pictures later =)

I haven't watch G Reco yet but it just popped up on Hulu or Netflix, can't remember which. It's my impression a lot of Gundam traditionalists balked at the more contemporary shonen mechanical design. It's not how I want every Gundam series to look, but it's such a cool departure. Plus the Grimoire is so far in the other direction it's nearly a Scopedog.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 3, 2016

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Just went to a traditional hobby shop kinda close by to see if they had Gunpla. They do, but it's a of assortment and no models in really into but they do have the clear Juaggu for $27 too bad it's too ugly for me to be into unironically and my wife would be mad I bought it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Sazabi and Nu on display together might be the endgame for my collection

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Help, I bought the HG Graze and now I can't stop thinking about it. Is it possible to be too into a mech design?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Are the no grade 1/100 IBO the exact build just scaled up? Any difference aside from accessories?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Astro Creep posted:

Not too terribly worried about wrecking the treads, having shaky hands means you do stuff like that ridiculously carefully out of necessity! And that's kinda lame w/r/t the LED, but it would go straight from the Guntank's box into my Exia anyways :v:

Yeah, I can see how it's pretty outdated by today's standards. I've just always really liked the xguy design, aaand I've hit my limit of Beargguys I'm willing to buy, sooo...

And yeah, that is 100% my sorta thing.

Both of em sound great, just totally can't decide.

MG Guntank: Is an EFF mobile platform. One step above a GM. 0/10 would not recommend.

Acguy: Is a Zeon Aquatic suit. Looks both cute and menacing. Mono-eye. Is Acguy. 10/10 must buy.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm mad I have HG Barbados and Graze since I feel like a chump wanting the 1/100 versions

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
The shiny accents look kinda tacky to me = (

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Are these worker suits from Dort in IBO gonna get a model? They look kinda neat.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Darth Walrus posted:

Probably not (we're past the point in the 1/144 release schedule where they would likely show up, and there's no goddamn way they'll get 1/100 kits), but P-Bandai might eventually feel generous. On the plus side, we do have kits for the military suits based off them, and they're pretty adorable.
Oh, those are variants of the Man Rodi. I've seen people talk about Spinner Rodi but didn't know what it was. I knew the triangles eye looked familiar. I still think the Spinner looks way more interesting, excepting Gusion.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Yawgmoft posted:

I maintain my hope solely based on my assumption that Japan does not do any April Fools stuff and Americans being too lazy to do cross cultural April Fools jokes.

Japan, a country that made a cottage industry of televising toilet related pranks, is in fact a fan of the holiday dedicated to the art form.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Dang I want those Valkyries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Only see one arm, it's hobo exia :haw: