Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Generally speaking from my experience the cheaper kits (HG, SD) tend to be quite heavily marked up in price but the more expensive kits are usually about the same in price.

For some quick price comparisons:

MG Gundam X
Hobby Search: 3,230 Yen or £17.77
Hobby Link Japan: 3,040 Yen or £16.72
Japan Cool: £36.99
Gunpla.co.uk: £29.99

HG Gundam Double X
Hobby Search: 1,775 Yen or £7.95
Hobby Link Japan: 1,360 Yen or £7.48
Japan Cool: £18
Gunpla.co.uk: Not Listed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

DigitalRaven posted:

Looks like I'll be finding out. I'm not going to pay eBay scalper prices for it, and the Yen's so far in the shitter that Gentei's price + shipping is a third less than the eBay listings.

Normally, someone like tokyo-hobby on eBay is my best bet in the UK since HLJ's prices are a bit better but the shipping eats the difference. Yen's weak against the pound and the dollar; I poked at HLJ and could get for £80 (inc shipping) what would be £120 on eBay. Then again, I'm buying mostly HGs (drat you, Build Fighters). Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but mostly because I don't have much space to store a backlog.

For that much money you probably won't dodge customs so don't forget the 20% VAT and whatever Parcel Force decided to charge as a handling fee.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

DigitalRaven posted:

That's true for the big order, but I can ship it out in smaller batches with HLJ's personal warehouse thing. Hell, even if I do go nuts and get it in one big box, VAT + handling charge on top of the price is still going to be cheaper than eBay.

Not by much and it'll take a lot longer to get here. It's just generally worth keeping in mind that when you do pay a mark up for it already being in country even with relatively slow shipping/postage it'll get here a lot quicker than SAL or EMS, the latter because it sits in customs hell for around about two weeks.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

DigitalRaven posted:

I don't know where you're buying from that's shipping kits already in the UK, but pretty much everything I'm after doesn't have that option. The few that do are are priced ridiculously high. Tokyo-hobby or J3 have a significant markup over HLJ and still ship SAL or EMS. I don't give a poo poo about the wait because I'm already waiting a loving age.

Mostly dumb luck on someone listing a kit on ebay.

edit: I've not bought an expensive kit since the Sazabi vKa, any big orders of HGs I make I have shipped separately to keep the product value below £15~ to try and stay on the safe side. That said Hobby Search combined my last order without asking me and a £30 order sent through SAL got through customs without charges.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Does the product value, for the sake of customs, include shipping?

Ahahaha, both! When determining if you should pay vat it's just the value of the products sans shipping, however if you have to pay vat you pay on the combined value of the products and shipping. Parcelforce 'conveniently' pay this for you and you then have to pay them your customs charge plus a 'handling' fee which is usually around the same amount as the customs charge.

There's also duty fees but you need to order something like £200 of stuff in one order for those to apply.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Luminaflare posted:

Ahahaha, both! When determining if you should pay vat it's just the value of the products sans shipping, however if you have to pay vat you pay on the combined value of the products and shipping. Parcelforce 'conveniently' pay this for you and you then have to pay them your customs charge plus a 'handling' fee which is usually around the same amount as the customs charge.

There's also duty fees but you need to order something like £200 of stuff in one order for those to apply.

tl;dr: gently caress UK customs.

God drat it, quote is not edit.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

EthanSteele posted:

So what's good primer and top coats to go through an airbrush? Future is out cos I'm in the UK and it sucks. I heard Vallejo primer is good. This is probably mostly to runwiled (thank you for more project posts).

I use Vallejo Model Air, the primer can go through without the need to thin, although I tend to thin it a little my self.

As for top coats I'd like to know my self, I managed to get a hold of the UK Future mix but I get results nothing like what's shown from the US stuff.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

EthanSteele posted:

Nice, do you use Vallejo for all your stuff or just primer? Like I think panel lining acrylic over enamel is easy because you can just rubbing alcohol/wipe away acrylic over the enamel but the other way round is a little trickier. I had to be very careful with the gold trim on Sinanju which was acrylic gold with acrylic gloss clear and then black enamel on top, which I then lighter fluid rubbed very gently, but it ate all the way through on a couple of pieces and I had to redo. Gimme all your secrets.

I had the same thing with my bottle of Future, it's the milky stuff and just no good.

Yeah, model air is premixed so it's a lot less pissing about when airbrushing.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Bimmi posted:

It's doable with rattlecans too, provided the colors you're looking for are available.

I'm no authority on candy finishes, but they're basically accomplished by laying down lots of coats, sanding each coat to within an inch of its life and then hand-polishing the living poo poo out of the topcoat. Very labor-intensive, not for the meek.

I thought you just laid down a base coat of black enamel and sprayed a translucent colour on top of it?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, that was the source of my confusion about acrylic thinner washes. When I googled what sort of paint gundam markers are, I somehow found multiple forum posts saying they're acrylic. Knowing that they're enamel explains a lot. To be clear, I'm talking about the paint pens.

Thanks!

Actually when I was experimenting with panel lining using different washes and techniques I found using acrylics to be more annoying and give a sub-par result compared to using a small nib marker or an enamel wash. No where near as much control over it as a marker and it didn't engage the wizardry of capillary action like the enamel wash.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Samba De Amigo posted:

Oh wow that's cool. I've never bought a frame arms before, I considered the Doulger but ended up not buying it.

Pretty sure I'll need to grab this though.

To be fair I have one of the older kits but it has really poor colour separation. So be prepared to paint.

That said they could have gotten better since.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

pilots naked.

Why?! What possible advantage does that offer? More convenient use of the toilet facilities during combat?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

Ever since Astray hit Destiny era it's been impossible to tell if it's ridiculously stupid or straight up parody.

Well it makes about as much sense as dissolving a giant giant robot by saying nope or stopping an alien race with a giant flower projection.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

ActionZero posted:

Have you not been watching Reconguista?

Only seen the first few episodes, I'm waiting until it's finished to watch it. However the preview with that is what inspired that statement.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

What's the Zaku F2000 kit like? For reference I really liked the Zaku Amazing.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Tenzarin posted:

Its more of alittle extra paint is smuged on an area and i'm trying to get it off.

Are you painting the entire kit or just spot painting?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I was intending on waiting for the MG versions but none seem to have been announced yet. Did the Build Fighters MGs not do very well? Or is it because the BB would need an entirely new mould and that the Winning is an SD?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Where do you live? If you're British, I recommend japan-cool.co.uk. They have a little bit of a mark-up, but it's domestic rates for shipping, and you won't get stung with customs charges.

If you want him to get hype for getting Kampfer Amazing, here's a video of it's crowning moment of glory.

Their HG prices are nearly double for some kits. Plus unless you're ordering about 4 HGs at a time you won't be hit by customs and even then not always. Customs only comes in to play when you order over £15 of stuff.

However their MG prices are quite reasonable. Its just that HGs cost so little that they need a relatively big mark up to keep them profitable due to taxes etc.

Edit: Actually, looking again, their MGs can be really expensive as well. Although you're avoiding customs so its probably still cheaper.

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 19, 2015

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They've posted more Try Burning info

So much fire! :allears:

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Dre2Dee2 posted:

What grade is this, I NEED this :stare:

HG, there aren't any BFTry MGs yet.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So me and a buddy are going halves on an RG double pack containing the justice and the freedom. Are either of those significantly better than the other or are they about the same?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

Neither of them can do much without an AB, but Bandai was at least kind enough to include a little prop for the Justice so you can theoretically pose it standing with its backpack unfolded.

I have some ABs, although I really need to get around to ordering some more.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

What are the LBX kits like? Judging by the instructions they seem to be somewhere between SD and HG?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Woah, these prices are good. How are their delivery times? I currently use Japan-Cool, who are more expensive, but if I pay for express shipping, I always get it the next day as long as I order in the morning.

I had a parcel accidentally shipped to the wrong customer but the guy who runs it couldn't apologize enough and refunded my postage cost. Still got the package in the end too. Although on the note of shipping, it's really expensive. More than EMS from HLJ expensive and it takes 7 to 10 working days to get here normally.

Still though, it avoids nutso customs fees.

Just keep in mind that it's generally cheaper to import HG/SD/Boosters and cheaper to just pay the mark up on RG/MG. There's exceptions such as the Neo Zeong etc.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

GUNPLA IS FREEDOM

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

closeted republican posted:

What sort of experiences have people had with Hobby Search? They seem to have a lot more in stock than HLJ does, uses Yen instead of USD (so I can exploit the weak Yen), and their shipping doesn't seem too bad. I'm in the USA, if that means anything.

I'm UK and outside of getting good deals on a eBay these guys have pretty consistently been good in my experience.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

dogsicle posted:

What kit is this? It looks awesome.

Don't know about the giant rifle but that's the Frame Arms Zennrai. I have the Assault type version of that kit. It's pretty rad, just not much colour separation.

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 7, 2015

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Are the decals with my RG Justice waterslides or stickers? Why are some of them numbered in a solid black circle rather than an outlined one?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

HG V2 has the exact same problem, and I think F91 too? Future didn't fix it, but dried superglue did the trick.

Turns out that no, Bandai still can't really make Late UC kits.

Also the Crossbone X Maoh (And I assume the normal Crossbone).

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I wonder how easy it would be to scratch build beam sabres out of sprues with a bit of plaplate and a pin vice.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You prompted me to check HLJ again and: http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN996694/Sci

1/72 Y-Wing is happening. :toot: :woop: :toot:

Now I just need the A-Wing and Interceptor.

e; also I know this isn't general mecha chat, but as someone who:
  • really likes Zaku- and GM-type mechs including stuff like the Sinanju/Gerbera Tetra because they look cool while not being overly complex
  • hates 99% of actual Gundams (pretty much the only exceptions are the AGE-1 Spallow and the nu Gundam, without its fin funnels) because I don't like the samurai head and detest the "stick more spiky wings on it" school of design
  • is okay with stuff like Full Metal Panic, VOTOMS or Zone of the Enders designs.
  • doesn't like super robots because they tend to look goofy
  • is in no way a mecha or plamo expert
what are some good model kit series I should look into? I'm interested in expanding my horizons beyond Gundam stuff.

Also, generally, how are Bandai's Patlabor kits? Specifically this one: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10019981

I was going to suggest their Patlabor kits before I read to the end of your post. I'm guessing you already have a Jesta?

If you can get a hold of them without paying the insane mark ups the Macross kits Bandai put out a while back seemed pretty decent.

There's also Zoids but I'm really unsure of how that falls in the realms of realistic design. They're very mechanical but well, they're all some form of animal.

Maybe Code Geass? That has some rad designs but I'm not sure if many (if any) of the grunts ever got kits.

Frame Arms has some really cool stuff as well, although the designs vary quite a bit from militaristic army robot to captain spikey pants.

Armored Core seems to fit your tastes quite well too. Heavily stylized, but still realistic mechs. Only problem is the kits are pretty expensive.

This is a good suggestion, although there some are incredibly spindly and/or spikey suits.

And as a final suggestion grab the Metal Gear Rex kit.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

You could probably scratch build a titan out of hi-mocks for a fifth of the price.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

chutche2 posted:

Is it weird that I kinda want to buy hi-mocks to use to carry all my random excess guns and beam sabers from my other HG kits

I think that's part of the point of them.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

TaurusOxford posted:

Buy both of them you cheapass. :colbert:

I'm really tempted to use the HG version to display the uncombined forms in front of the MG if that ever comes out.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Broken Loose posted:

Shoutouts to actually finding a Command Gundam.

Wait, are those actually hard to find? I grabbed one on a whim with reward points on Hobby Search while Build Fighters was airing.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Well, poo poo.

One of the barrel tips on my RG Justice's backpack has pinged off in to the ether while moving it.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

MJP posted:

I'm proceeding to do a diorama, a what-if bit of anachronism. Specifically, what if the Soviet military had Zeon grunt suits and pushed down the Fulda Gap circa 1985?

I intend to have a Dom Tropen hoisting a hammer, a Zaku II hoisting a sickle, and a Z'gok (somehow, with those claws) waving a red flag behind them to emulate the Soviet flag. There'll be damaged, burnt-up pieces of a GM and a few 1/144 Leopard 2A5 and M1 tanks burnt out/damaged as well. Pure propaganda.

I'm toying around with the Dom Tropen painted in the colors of a Frontal Aviation Su-17/Su-22, the Zaku II painted like a T-72's simple camo pattern, and the Z'gok representing Naval Aviation colors.

I suck at lineart, and I didn't bother to do too good a job since this is just an idea for color schemes. What do you fine folks think of these? Opinions and criticism are most welcome.

For the Dom Tropen, I'm going to paint the undersides of parts the same underside blue. Since Zeon never had a Base Jabber or equivalent (at least nothing available in HGUC without breaking the bank) it'd be a shame if the Tropen's undersides didn't at least pay tribute.

Good tip for using line art to work out paint schemes; set the line art's layer to multiply and paint the colours on a layer below it.

Also those paint schemes look rad.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

MJP posted:

I don't know what you mean about setting a layer to multiply but if it's anything more advanced than MSpaint, that's fairly overkill. Glad the schemes look reasonable, though. I was worried that not doing actual camo patterns wouldn't get the effect right, but I'm already in interesting turf given that I've got Soviet mecha that aren't in Full Metal Panic.

It's a Photoshop (and assumedly other photo editing software) thing. I generally forget I even have paint installed.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I'd love to see a Build Fighters spin off in to other plamo kits bandai has the rights to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I have also been messing around with my sale mocks.

There is no painting done to this kit at all. It's all various permanent markers and tamiya masking tape.

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 20, 2015