Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Alright, I think I am going to give this Gunpla thing a try for the first time in my life (even though I have bought several because "they looked cool and maybe one day I will actually assemble them").

Watched a few vids and I do have some basic tools to start with (cheaper Godhand nipper, X-acto knife and hobby knife, and self-healing cutting mat). I want to gradually escalate things in terms of difficulty so based on what I have, from start to finish, would it be recommended to do:

1. Gundam MK II HG
2. Zeta Gundam HG
3. Vidar HG
4. Barbatos Lupus Rex HG
5. EVA Unit 08 RG

For right now, I just want to bumble through getting used to assembly and maybe getting stickers on decently well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Finishing up with the weapons and remaining stickers on my very first gunpla ever (stuck with the HG Mk 2) and outside of some super minor scratches when snipping and having one hell of a time putting stickers on at first... this actually wasn’t too bad at all. Kinda calming really.

Honestly I think I’ll build a few more so I can work on some stuff (namely snipping a bit better). I posted my order list a page or two back but I also impulse-bought the HG Moon Gundam because it looked nice so.. uh, I guess this will be my new hobby for a bit

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Alright cool, my Moon Gundam stealthily arrived this evening; kinda want to do that first but I already started unboxing my Lupus Rex. And also the Lupus Rex seems to have a lot less parts than the Mk II (so does the Vidar oddly enough).

I also saw on reddit that there were some complaints with the HG Lupus Rex? What was that all about if true?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I'm working through my Barbatos Lupus Rex (man some of the stuff on the joints seems kinda.. loose? dunno, maybe need to check if I put them together right) but pretty excited to get through my current backlog.

Also, I kinda really... want to build a Liger Zero for some reason. Are the armor parts kinda interchangeable between the Panzer/Yaeger/Schneider modes for the current Zero kit out, or are people expected to buy three separate Liger Zeroes?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It's not gunpla or even a Gundam, but I bought a Lego Eva

lol this thing is huge too

where did you even get this

MechaX fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 4, 2021

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Finished the HG Lupus Rex finally and jeez the mace is pretty heavy for it (took several minutes to pose in a way where the torso didn’t just topple). Dunno if I want to do an IBO suit next so I’m eyeing doing the HG Zeta or Moon Gundam.

I do *really* want to buy at least one MG for my first MG and I’m thinking a SEED suit for that. So far the MG Aegis and Blue Frame 2nd Revise speak to me the most. I guess there are other Blue Frame kits out there that look good to me; was always a bigger fan of the Blue Frame out of all Astrays. Any pitfalls/warnings to know ahead of time if I bite on either of these?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I’d open my Moon box now but I do want to take the next step in learning how to panel line and I figure I would try to test it on one or two things I also have first just in case I screw up a few times (Likely the Zeta and/or Vidar are going to be the guinea pigs).

I dunno what made me want an MG all of a sudden though, but I may check one of the shops around here and see if they have an Aegis/Blue Frame though

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Stepped into the big wide world of panel lining this morning (thank god Hobby Lobby sells all the Gundam Markers I needed so I didn't have to order online) and knocked out the HG Vidar in one sitting. Glad I chose this one because man, the suit would look so weird without panel lining on a lot of its stuff, most notably its shoulder pads. Articulation is a little more limited than I would have liked without a stand because what in the gently caress how did it ever actually move its shoulders with those backpack binders lmao

Only have the HG Zeta, HG Moon, and RG Eva Unit 08 out of what I currently own left. But the HG Zeta is transformable right? ... sounds like it might be a pain in the rear end but I'm leaning towards just knocking the Zeta out, because the Moon and Unit 08 looks super fun (and I only just discovered the Moon comes with a stand!)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

After starting out with four HGs (Vidar and Gundam Mk II were really cool builds, Zeta and Lupus Rex... eh...) decided to try out the Eva Unit 08 I got a while back as my first RG.

At first the tiny pieces were kinda annoying, but I am starting to enjoy this and I'm eager to see how it turns out. My biggest con so far though, the undergates... I swear none of the HGs had under gating at all on the parts, so it's something to get used to

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Azubah posted:

I expect they'll only have 20 in stock like last time.

Goddamn, is the popular P-Bandai stuff always like that?

I really want that Perfectibility

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Napoleon Nelson posted:

There were some things at last year's g-expo that sold out in hours, some in minutes. The RG Perfectibility is the only one (that I can recall and was interested in) that sold out in seconds.

Oof. Welp, better start looking at some back up plans so I can at least get some of the stuff I’m interested in (not sure if I dig a lot of these clear versions to be honest)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Finished the Eva Unit 08 RG very recently and I also recommend the EVA stuff. The biceps coming off with rotation and fiddling with the shoulder pylons were slightly annoying but it's a real solid model and the sniper rifle is super nice. Ended up picking up the Unit 00 and Mark 6 as a result, and will probably end up getting the Unit 01, 02, and 03 at a certain point.

Now going to do the Freedom 2.0, which is my first MG. Heard a lot about how the hips can be danger sections, so hopefully this goes well. And very nice of them to include a stand.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Picked up the clear color Haze’n-thley II Rah on P-Bandai and I can’t find anything online showing good views of it; guess this is the first print of this particular color?

Either way, these AoZ suits need to be more widely available. They look so goofy but so awesome to me

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Managed to get the Perfectibility from P-Bandai before it poo poo the bed, so I'm happy about that. Also have an RG Banshee Norn I need to build and the Perfectibility box apparently has extra parts, so might as well slap that poo poo onto it and see how it looks.

But how much of a pain in the rear end is the Banshee (or I guess just RG Unicorns in particular)?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

tbh, I kind of want to hop on that wild ride to build a Liger but why is it so expensive

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

The Gundam expo stuff and getting the RG Nu recently cleared out my Gunpla funds for awhile and besides the MG Virtue or a good Zoids kit at a reasonable price, dunno if finances or backlog would justify it, but I will definitely set my sights on that Hi-Nu in the future

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I went ahead and preordered for the Harute and Zabanya just in case (going to look weird next to the 00 Qant FS MG I got tho, and gently caress the Raphael Gundam), but man, didn't even think the Hi Nu's Hyper Mega Bazooka would run out that quick

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I ordered both my RG Sazabi and Nu from Amazon recently but how does one go about seeing if they are bootleg or not?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

MG Qubeley Damned and Stormbringer FA is up on P-Bandai. Just snapped up the later.

I really, really wasn't expecting to put any more money into P-Bandai, or any kit in general unless it was the Blue Frame Revise MG or the Virtue 2.0 MG, for the rest of the year, but that Stormbringer FA just looked too sleek so I picked it up.

It's absolutely criminal that these suits are P-Bandai only though

MechaX fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 8, 2021

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

The RG Perfectibility I managed to luckily snag from P-Bandai in that Expo is finally here and man this thing looks… daunting.

And I hear it’s easy to break the psycho-frame parts in these RG Unicorn’s? Tempted to just use the Banshee Norn I got as a test unit. If it goes well, then cool, Perfectibility won’t be that bad. If it doesn’t go well, gently caress Riddhe.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I’d probably buy an RG Turn A

But what I’d like to see is an RG Hy-Gogg

Edit: actually RG Aegis is good too, even though I haven’t built my MG Aegis yet

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Has RG EVA Unit 13 been formally announced yet

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Endorph posted:

rg master when

Buy the RG God and RG Master is guaranteed to come

On p-Bandai only

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

So I've bought the RE/100 Lindwurm from P-Bandai and I'm trying to understand something with these RE/100 lines; so they are not MGs in the sense that they have inner frames; so are they just big HGs? Just trying to figure this out because I watched a few Mecha Gaikotsu vids in which they were not big on a lot of the RE/100 line, but they never reviewed the Bawoo which the Lindwurm shares a lot with.

Realistically, I'm going to assemble it and stick it on an action base without transforming it, so there's that.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I've spent most of my evening in a painting/top coat rabbit hole and my god, people have a lot of different ways of going about this.

So my situation is that my partner got me a HG Destroy Mode Banshee Norn. The "gold" plastic (the V fin, the collar armor, and two of the back psychoframes which have large sickers) look like cheese and I wish to just use gold paint over them. I do have the X-12 gold leaf Tamiya paint in the small bottle, and also the Tamiya gold TS-21 spray can. I also picked up the Tamiya Semi-Gloss and clear spray cans for top coating. I am perfectly fine with every other bit of the Banshee besides the gold plastic.

If I wanted to paint those parts, would I use primer, then hand paint or use the spray can, then top coat it, then panel line, and then top coat it again? I have been getting a lot of varying answers about top coating before and after panel lining given all of the Tamiya spray can stuff is purportedly lacquer, the Tamiya accent panel line paint is enamel, and the X-12 is acrylic, and the gundam markers are "???"

Any assistance or clarification from anyone more versed on the top coat/paint situation would be greatly appreciated

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Doing the RG Sazabi for the first time and.. yeah, I definitely am noticing a step up in the engineering for the inner frame for sure (at least compared to the older MGs and HGs I have done so far; HG Moon and HG Vidar might be the newest HGs I have done and I definitely saw a big difference in the HG Moon for sure). I still have the Nu and Hi-Nu to do, so we'll see how those up the ante.

I dunno how I feel about them starting with the legs first since that is usually the most boring part of building Gunpla for me, but hey, fine, get that out of the way early.

Also on the subject of red, my red Empire Liger Zero is still set for preorder (I caved and bought the normal Liger Zero for $100 in September); anyone else getting this Liger?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

The fin funnel effects pack definitely does not cost 100 bucks lol

This is correct

It’s actually going for $169.99 in some parts (lmao hell no Amazon)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

If I've learned one thing in the current Gunpla drought, it's to pick up kits when you see them, and then you'll be able to build them later. Meanwhile, if you miss your shot, it's probably going to cost a lot more to get it.

If money's tight, of course, that's different.

That's kind of what I did; like, I have like 25 kits now but I picked up whatever ones I was interested when my local store had them in stock ASAP because I knew it would probably be a pain in the rear end to get later (especially for stuff like RG Hi-Nu, HG Nightingale, or MG Ex-S). I recognize this is FOMO at its highest, but goddamn the online prices are pretty high (and only like one hobby store around my area prices stuff sensibly, other hobby stores price match whatever they see on Amazon/Ebay so that's how they end up with $120 MG Alexes or Hyaku Shiki's and poo poo lying around).

Now I'm at the point where I pretty much have everything I'm interested in outside of some new releases this year (like the RG God or that Big O model) and can coast for the rest of the year hopefully.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

You are probably the 3rd person I have encountered in the last two weeks that hosed up that peg/ribbon part. The other two are just going to glue it and be done with it.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

What is the painting experience like for clear part models?

I’m getting more into painting Gunpla now and I just had the thought of just repainting the Hazen’thley Rah II I got off of p-Bandai if i end up not liking how the clear parts look to just it’s normal colors, was wondering if there are any caveats I should know about dealing with clear plastic pieces in general

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Mordja posted:

As someone who's been disappointed by Koto kits in the past (I bought an Armored Core and a Muv-Luv--both had poor colour separation and the former was barely poseable and fell apart during a move while the latter was just kinda unimpressive for its price), are their Zoid kits worth a drat? I have no real affinity towards Zoids, but building something less humanoid sounds like a change of pace. Was looking at the Lightning Saix and the Liger Zero because they're relatively cheap, or splurging on the X because it's fancy looking and newer.

I had to get mine for almost $100 on Amazon several months back, even with whatever shipping hlj has going on, that is a good deal and I know the Zoids kits are good, especially the Liger line

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah that gun has been on P-Bandai twice last year

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Looks like p bandai might be stealthing some RG/HGs for pre-order later today as opposed to continue screaming at me to buy this Super Astray Red Dragon for $400.

https://twitter.com/BandaiHobbyUS/status/1494371067082657796?s=20&t=Uc9vkUIV9gh7NXzPOmPtyw

Other suits are on their FB/Instagram and from what I can see, it includes a red Gelgoog with massive shoulder pads, Zssa, what I am assuming is the RG Phenex, Cybuster (probably Titanium color), Aescalpius, and Quanta.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 18, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

YanniRotten posted:

I don't know what a Zssa is but I need it.

If you've ever played TIE Fighter, it looks like the Missile Boat equivalent of the Methuss

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

What are people's experiences with Frame Arms kits?

I've seen a few at my local shops but never really bit on any of them; I did order the SX-25 Cutlass RE2 just now because for what reads as a "grunt" suit, the thing looks remarkably slick, and hopefully a good build

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Man, and I was completely soured on the Zeta (despite loving the design) after the HG version; can't even imagine how other grades still are not enjoyable

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

HGs of the Phantom and that new Heavyarms are dropping on p-Bandai tonight for those interested

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah... my target was the Astrea only but the Phantom, Efreet, and Riders went out of stock before the minute was even through.

Even if it's obscure, I'm surprised they are not trying for some kind of retail release like the Moon Gundam; show a good picture of it with the flames, some people will still likely scoop it from shelves at a Hobby Lobby or something

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Neito posted:

Plus, Bandai could be the one price gouging instead of some nobody middleman at an anime con.

Not saying they will, just the history of Japan and re-importation...

Bandai in 2023: We are releasing the HG of Johnny Ridden’s special Zaku II custom seen in this obscure side-side story; it has a different antenna and if you squint, it looks a little like the popular Efreet model! [$64.99 without shipping, P-Bandai exclusive]

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Got a hold of the Virtue and holy gently caress this box is huge (or rather, more long than I was expecting)

It looks like the Nadleeh looks really awesome too, but I absolutely do not have the money to be throwing it on a second Virtue, so it'll be in big boy form forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Funny enough, I just picked up a Delta Kai knowing full well that I’d need to paint a little bit because all people like MechaGaikotsu complained about were the stickers

Lmao I thought that would be the worst but this is just as bad and doesn’t even look that easy to mask and paint either