Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So for the first time in *checks notes* a long time, I did some building again.

Didn't line the panels, mostly because I wanted a derust, but the wings on the MG EW Wing Gundam are so heavy it needs the stand :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

so this is how i die

:same:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Does G-Self transform?

No?

Then it's trash. :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Phy posted:

FAZZ doesn't transform.

I always liked that the double z in FAZZ is pronounced like the one in pizza.

What do you get if you put twenty FAZZ in a row and then push the first one over? FAZZ Domino.

It's a ZZ that worked out.

The original ZZ can transform. Therefore better :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Got a 1/144 HG Wing, and I'm curious to see how it compares to the old wing from the early days of the US boom

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace posted:

Got a 1/144 HG Wing, and I'm curious to see how it compares to the old wing from the early days of the US boom

Verdict: a lot higher quality. The elbow and knee joints are plastic instead of PC into a nub on another part, the hands are plastic, not PC, the shield actually opens up to store the beam saber, shoulders are multiple pieces, not stickers, the leg articulation improved, the rifle actually slides into a slot in the shield for bird mode, the grip folds into the rifle...

I could go on :v: I'll get some pics shortly.

I think the biggest change is not using stickers for major sections but for highlights only.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ANAmal.net posted:

Looking back on these kits, which I loved at the time, I'm amazed that anyone stuck with GunPla when this was our introduction to it.

It's the big reason why I was hesitant to buy a 1/144. My reintroduction was buying an MG 1/100 kit. I'll probably stick to 1/144s from here on out, they're actually nice now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bloody Pom posted:

My introduction to Gunpla was when I was still a kid, I think I had the old NG Epyon. After several years I was given an NG Exia.

No Grades are bad. I don't think the Epyon could even partsform.

Epyon was one that I wanted, still sort of do. The hilarious thing is that of all the NGs I own, only one is in "decent condition".

Except the nub that held the shield on broke :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

chiasaur11 posted:

It can.

Some no grades are okay-to-good, like the FLAT from Turn A, but the Wing and G 1/144 kits were pretty bad.

I think the problem with the Wing and G non-grades was they wanted to get them out the door to the US ASAP, seeing as business was booming. It was the model equivalent of shovelware and it showed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

She's good, OP.

I'm waiting on a few supplies to get in, then I'm going to try my hand at doing a custom paint job. I have the idea in my head, it's just executing it now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Got my first RG today.

It's going to be a project :stare:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

chiasaur11 posted:

Which one? They've got a spread in how sturdy they are once they're done.

Freedom Gundam. Was hoping for a v Gundam but alas.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:stwoon:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm sad, the HG RX-93 can't be posed left handed :smith:

It's a back-heavy unit though.

e: are the decals that come stock with units dry or water applied? The RX-93 has two and those definitely have to go on.

iospace fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 5, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I need to stop buying back heavy models. Also, the wing assembly on the RG freedom is cool, but it does feel fragile.

Also another right handed only model :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

General Ironicus posted:

The exception is those terrible poseable hands that are never ever going back on this thing.

Gonna echo this. The MG hands, while less dexterous than the RG ones, per se, are much more stable. The other joints are cool though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tomorrow marks the start of my first paint project.

I'm nervous but I'm using a relatively cheap MG to start.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bill Posters posted:

This is the key. Don't get disappointed when your first attempt doesn't meet your expectations. You'll learn so much from just doing it that each subsequent attempt will turn out better and better. It's that constant improvement that it just so satisfying.

My biggest mistake (and I'm calling it now): bad masking.

But I'm being pretty ambitious with this one but hey, gotta learn.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Found an RG Zeta :getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Well, my painting took a turn when my can of primer ran out. :negative:

I bought backup cans of the other colors, now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Azubah posted:

I kinda want the F90, anyone know of a place where I can get it without bullshit prices?

This but with a ReZEL

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Are they still making ReZELs or is that a single run? :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Painting isn't quite done yet, but enough to get some assembly done:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, when painting my GM, I was able to break a stuck part free pretty easily

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Having now tried a panel line wash for the first time, holy crap it's great.

Also having built the MG Alex 2.0, it's great.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

K Prime posted:

Finished my first perfect grade!

:hellyeah:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question regarding clear coat: how long should you let it sit before putting the wash on? I let the parts I'm practicing on sit overnight, but was curious how quickly you can start with the lining.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is that the ver.ka?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's a beast of a build, eh?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TaurusOxford posted:

It's easily identifiable as the ver ka. cause the original was literally unable to point the gun straight. :v:

Did not know this!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I dig the ZZ's goofy oversized beam sabers

They're so big, to the point where the "blade" is taller than the unit without the backpack.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I want that GM Sniper II/RX-79(G) mashup.

E: because it was a reverse snipe:

Gripweed posted:

And a wave of P-Bandai releases

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Finished my ZZ Ver.Ka. I'm pleasantly surprised: for being a build with a complex transformation gimmick, it's sturdier than I would have thought.

I want a Nu Ver.Ka now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Droyer posted:

:hfive: fellow ZZ ver. ka builder! The transformation isn't very fun, is it?

The v-fin drives me nuts, but beyond that it's great

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, so question: I'm going to be building the RG Nu Gundam, and I want to panel line wash everything. So, the question is:

If I apply sufficient amount of lacquer clear coat to the underframe, would it be safe to put a wash on? Or should I not bother and use a marker?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Puddin posted:

I would advise testing out laquer on the runner that the frame pieces come off first. Laquer can cause bare plastic to crumble.

But you definitely want some top coat on, cause clean up of enamel wash also eats bare plastic.

Alright. I didn't seem to have problems with clear coating an HGUC RX-78NT-1, but I'm guessing different models can have different results for plastic comp?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright. I love the RX-93 and want to sort of go all out on this kit (not going to do a paint job on it though, mind you).

Seriously, I think it's the funnel "curtain" on the back that takes it from "relatively plain" to "epic badass"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, I find it much easier to wash the feet as opposed to marker.

Then I remembered that it's a super dark blue in which it doesn't show up at all on.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a Real Grade. They've got a very specific aesthetic of sliding plates on the inner frame.

The interesting thing is they don't have pre-assembled joints in the more recent RGs. The Nu only has the funnel hinges pre made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Paper Kaiju posted:

Finally started work on my RG Sazabi, and I've got to say I'm really liking not have the premolded inner frames. It's making the build much more enjoyable than previous RGs, and it actually feels more sturdy. I can't wait to see this old girl when she's finished.

I had that same thought with the RX-93. It really feels like a 1/144 MG now in that aspect, with a few key joints premade, like the funnels for the Nu.