Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

Good thing all I want are MGs at this point. I was just checking because I'm looking at kits for Shelf Part Deux (old school Zeon suits) and a lot of them (Z'gok, Gelgoog 2.0, Zeong) are listed as backordered/out of stock, and I know the HG 00 kits are listed that way and have been for approximately Forever.

Don't quote me on this but I believe backordered means they're waiting for a certain threshold of people to order the model before they go out and buy them. It's a real crapshoot to how long it'll take. I've ordered backordered stuff that's gotten payment requested in a week, but on the other hand I ordered the ESF GN-XIII last March and it's still sitting there pending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ka0 posted:

If you're ordering vallejo make sure it's model air and not model color, which is harder to work on an airbrush without medium retarder. The paint dries so fast it tends to clog the exit nozzle and you end up losing time cleaning it.

He's asking about Handbrushing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I have no idea where I'm gonna put this thing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Frankenstein Dad posted:

What the gently caress is that and how did you do it

It's the Tsugumori from Knights of Sidonia.

Fauxtool posted:

now buy 30 more and pose them in the ring formation

It actually has a special set of hands for putting units the model in the clasp formation. The manual only shows two units but I'm pretty sure you could extend it out to any amount of Gardes.

I actually feel kind of bad that they even bothered putting in the Kabizashi and other weapons because even if I might actually be able to pose it better or make it look cooler with the other weapons there's no way in hell that that cannons ever coming off once I finish the model.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

is the the Kabizashi not an add on item or did they make non named suits too?

The Kabi is included. It's actually kind of lame it's just two plain white plastic pieces. There's good detail work on the tip, but it seems odd to me that They couldn't have molded the tip in a different color. Actually for a 50 dollar I would've liked to see some better seam line hiding and color separation. And actually despite it being accurate to the Show/Manga I think the kit would've benefited from using two tones of white to make it a little more visually enticing. I guess that's what you get for buying Kotobukiya instead of Bandai though. That and the Fuckhuge box.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Apologize for the lovely camera work and posing I should actually be sleeping right now.

The Tsugumori is a pretty good kit I'd say.

Height Wise it's taller than the GM sniper K9 and my Nonscale Takemikaduchi. But it's a very lanky streamlined kit, the legs are actually thinner than the GM's. Since it's a 1/100 scale kit I'd show it with a master grade but I don't actually own one.

Detail wise it has quite a few panel lines all over the kit but especially on the back thrusters which are covered with the drat things. This is great because other wise the fact that ninety percent of the kit is solid white would really bring the whole thing down. It's also got a set of waterslides I haven't bothered putting on. If you want it to look great your looking at some seam filling on the limbs and some painting on the tips of the fingers and on the Kabi.

Articulation is okay the Backpack can move up and over it's head and the pointy part of it can extend upwards to give it some more height. the arms and legs can bend pretty far but it's practically impossible to get the thing to actually stand on it's own two feet. The manual does show it transforming into a kind of "dog mode" wheres the garde stands on all four. The red toes flip out and there's an attachment that has a red blade that can pop out that attaches to the forearm. The Visor on the head can also pop up to fire its Higgs cannon.

Accessory wise it comes with the Cannon, the Kabi, two forearm blades, three forearm shields for each arm, one that's the standard shield one for helping hold the cannon and one with the cutting blades extended. It also comes with two stands a Toha heavy industries one for holding the Tsugumori and a generic one to hold up the cannon.

The cannon Attaches to the forearm with two pegs and then is further secured with the forearm shield. You can put the barrel tip on now and Have a reasonable cannon that you could pose the model with or you can take the four barrel extenders that each slot in to a peg on the end of the last one and then connect five more times with it's opposite piece. The cannon is remarkably stable and bends far less than I would have thought it would. this is helped by the included barrel stand that is practically required to use with the full barrel. Really with the cannon out there's only one pose you can do but that one pose is also the only one you need.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ka0 posted:

I have no idea on how to order from samuel decal. I sent a couple of emails a year ago about some decals but never got an answer.

Make sure you email order@samueldecal.com and not orders@samueldecal.com.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Exact scale is kind of a bullshit concept when talking about fictional robots anyways.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I do not believe it;

A couple of years back, I made an order on HLJ for a Nirvash Spec 2 Bandai kit while it was Backordered, and it's just sat that way ever since. I never really minded, just never bothered cancelling it just to see what'd happen.

I just got a payment request for it :allears:.

I just got an order filled that I placed 2 years ago...and they sent it to the apartment I lived at 2 years ago.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Holy poo poo I'm trying to put together this 1/72 scale VF-1 and the hands are loving impossible. Seriously has anyone here done this kit before and have some tip I'm missing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The nub marks on this are killing me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Or the zephyranthes

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm glad I'm not the only one with the gp01. I eventually just stuck it back in it's box

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I thought I was on a fitness thread for a second and you were doing some forbidden bio hacking nonsense.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's one of the gruntyest grunts. Feds kept it on operation for decades

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Alcohol will do it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've been outta the game for a minute but I'm feeling like makin' kits again. Did they discontinue the re1/100 line, I was hoping they'd make a rebound first, it's meteorically the sexiest gundam ever put to paper and I want a large model of it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

Anyone here with any experience with the muvluv kits? I've been rereading alternative and it's made me tempted to grab a couple, but the price range and quality seems to vary pretty wildly going by dalong. Mostly interested in the 1/144 scale stuff since I don't wanna break the bank, though if anything in the nonscale line is especially good, I'm open.

The Non scales are definitely the way to go. I have the Berkut and Takemikazuchi 1/144 and they're both very stiff, need a lot of paint, and don't stand up very well without some creative posing.

For the non scales I can vouch for

The Takemikazuchi is pretty killer, Muv Luv kits in general seem to have trouble standing because of their design but the way the feet are spread out helps give it a much more stable base. You can also use the Flight units as extra contact points for the ground, but I always keep them off as they block too much of the side view. The Red accents on the body are also clear plastic and won't pop unless you hand paint them, But that's easy as they're all separate pieces. You'll wanna watch out there's a regular version of the Takemikazuchi and a 1.5 version. You're gonna wanna get the 1.5. I can't remember what the difference was but as someone whose built multiple of each the 1.5 is distinctly better.

The Shiranui is pretty bland, not a bad kit if you like the design but it's not super posable, and the accessories leave a lot to be desired.

The F-22 Might be cooler than the Takemikazuchi, The takes feet allow a little more posablity, and it's colors pop more if you paint it, but the knee daggers is such a fun unique gimmick. It's up to personal prefrence, but I coloring of the version from Total Eclipse. If you hit the Gun Sights with some orange and highlight some of the minor details with some light blue the thing really looks like an extremely high performance machine, just as capable of assassinations and covert operations as it is with fighting the BETA.

There exists a Super Hornet kit that looks dope as hell but I've never seen it listed anywhere but a super overpriced seller on amazon. If you want it you'll probably have to trawl Mandarake or Yahoo auctions.

I have no opinion on any of the other kit's. I personally find all the series after the original Trilogy/Duology have been sort of awful.

Edit: Also I've found with all the kits the plastic is much more brittle than the Bandai ones, you need to be very careful to avoid stress marks if you aren't doing a full paint job.

Also the shipping is bullshit Kotobukiya sucks at packaging. The Take's box is nearly the size of my MG Hi-nu despite being like half the size. So much wasted space, so much yen wasted on shipping.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 14, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sounds like a great way to spend your day, and a great way to spend the following picking glass out of your carpet. IKEA shut is flimsy enough as is removing the support ain't a good idea

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Didn't see a single guy in a cardboard box with I'm a gundam written on it 0/10

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's been awhile since I been in this hobby. But if no one else answers. The cement us the kind of "glue" that mel's the plastics together. The thin cement just has less solvent. So it should work for smaller details but won't hold if your trying to fuse larger parts. You should be fine with thin for your first few models.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There used to be an archive of all the old stuff but I lost the link awhile ago.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you're assuming the dullness that comes to the kit's plastic after you finish sanding it is an imperfection don't worry a coat of matte will make it unnoticeable.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sucks RE/100 is dead, It was one of my favorite lines I love being a chance at getting some of those weirder more obscure kits, I could've actaully seen a Gabthely or Baund Doc in RE-100. Can't say I'm ever seeing them in Mastergrade

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

drat that's a steep price for a cool stand

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wish Bandai et all would just do two seperate kits for the robot and it's transformed state, I loving hate building these incredibly fragile over-engineered kits that break the second you stop looking at them. Yes I did try and build a VF-1, and yes I'm mad as hell about it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's crazy seeing so many people have problems with FedEx, I've never had problems with them or UPS, only with the us postal service.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

Yeah! The deal is basically Syd Mead was an incredible designer and so making his concept into a real toy was easy and the MG still stands with modern ones even 13 years later.

It's amazing what small considerations like "How can I make it's legs fully bend" and "How can I keep this robot armored while still alowing torso movement" will do to a final design

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Speaking of some crappy engineering I'm pretty much finished the Kotobukiya jehuty and this is one of the most annoying kits I have had to deal with in a while. Seam lines everywhere, including areas in which I am surprised that there's seam lines and had to glue a ton of parts together after they didn't fit after painting, also parts inexpicility breaking after doing my first disassembly. I'll take some pictures of it once I get my new phone.

The only reason I got this thing is because Jehuty is awesome. I have anubis and I'm hoping it's a bit better, but man, Bandai is the top selling model kit maker for a reason.

Sounds like a kotobukiya kit honestly. They're trying but holy poo poo are they behind bandai

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The 144 muv luv kits have the same problem with seam lines down the front of the legs and on the arms. They're also nearly imposable.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

The G-Self is consistently the #2 master grade request in fan polls

Please tell me reborns is #1

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

It's the Gaza-C

Are you loving kidding me, the weird pole thing?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Onmi posted:

Big box is BIG

Go buy an Neo Zeong then you will understand the concept of BIG box.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

I will never buy a kit from unicorn
I Love the Jesta's dumb Tacticool flavor, but I'm with you in spirit. Unicorn was loving awful

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

If you're going to get snobby enough to turn down a kit over appearing in Unicorn, why would Stardust Memory be acceptable?

They're both pretty awful story wise but at least stardust doesn't have pretensions about being a coda to early UC like unicorn. Also the designs and animation are better

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

God I wanna do that up in Titans colors so bad

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You guys haven't seen the Tsugumori's full cannon have you?

I think I might still have a pic

Edit:

Forgive how poo poo I was at taking Pictures years ago

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bandai really needs to step up for the next eva kit and provide a tiny homonculus that you fit the frame on

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kotobukiya has pretty good licenses though, I mean it sucks they aren't Bandai quality, but nothing else is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

From what I remember they're a real small retail operation hand packing orders, they're not amazon where all this stuff is sorted by robots and a million staff, someone had to tag and bag that order by hand and prepare the labeling and everything. Canceling would mean they wasted hours of time for no reason. I doubt they have the margins to support that especially for international clients, just take it and see if you can flip it on SAmart or ebay, who doesn't love a scope dog