Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
What's the difference between the different HGs of Barbatos? Lupus has claws and Lupus Rex has those and the tail blade, but they all have the mace and the same basic proportions, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That makes the differences clearer, thank you.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Do we know anything about how good/bad the Machinedramon Figure-Rise kit is? I am deeply, deeply tempted to preorder.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I had a question about Gundam Markers. I know they're used for panel lining ordinarily, but would using them to replace some of those awkward stickers (like the black bars on the HG Turn A's arms) be okay? The way people talk about them elsewhere it sounds like they're less markers and more pointy paint containers.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm a bit neutral on Unicorn but I can perfectly understand buying a kit of it and not either of Kou's suits, which are plain and a failure respectively.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I built it recently, it's pretty nice. Colors are good and the satellite panels look great when flipped out.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Yeah, the actual panels are textured with little dots. I haven't tried yet but I imagine some gold paint on them would look fine.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Wallets hate it! This beautiful son of a bitch is getting another kit, and basically, you're buying it!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is there something in particular you have to do to get the stickers off an RG sheet? I'm close to finishing the Crossbone but none of the eye ones want to budge.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The only problem I have with the RG is it's very picky about when it wants to stand up properly.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Within Canada they've always had good shipping time for me, if I order something on Sunday it's almost always shown up on Wednesday. I dunno what the turn-over time would be like over to America, but at the least they do ship stuff out quick.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Has anyone put together the Infinitism Kotetsu Jeeg here? https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10730566/70/7 I can't tell how I'm supposed to fit B15 into B11, it's really vague.

I got it, it was a really specific connection compared to everything else, wow.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 30, 2021

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10757216/70/6 I knew these were gonna be a nightmare the first time I saw this page, and it didn't make me happy to be right. Has anyone built here built him and gotten them on? Looking at build videos I seem to be the one person on Earth who can't figure them out from these instructions.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 6, 2021

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Suzaku posted:

I'll let you know when mine comes in the mail. The other ones aren't bad, but I haven't built him yet.

Get ready for a nightmare if you want to do the cape then, I'm getting madder at this than any set-up I've had to do before in a kit. Everything else about is fine but they really decided having a new gimmick here was worth more than it not being a pain in the rear end. It just refuses to stay in and it feels like you have no control over whether it will.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

SpikeMcclane posted:

Hot wings! Hungry time! Cybaster!

That pearl white will absolutely not photograph like it does in real life. It's amazingly pretty.

Nice paint job on the sword, after fiddling with it a bit trying to make it look good I gave up and just slapped the stickers on.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I hosed up the feet connection to a kit, but the open hole is still there. Is there a cement brand that could help me here?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It was on the Infinity Mazinger Z kit, the piece on the foot that would connect to the leg just snapped in half while I was trying to take the foot off. Glue made it seem to stick for a little while but it still came apart. I probably did it to myself because the reason I was taking the foot off was to swap out a part I put in that looked almost identical to the actual one meant for that spot, but I did everything else fine and now it can't even stand up.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

SpikeMcclane posted:

Can you take some pictures?

We managed to work something out. I need to be careful on that side, but the leg articulation's not crazy for this kit anyway.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
A store around my area has the Moderoid Ingram from Patlabor for sale. I checked the manual on Goodsmile's site and it's one of the ones that takes glue for some parts - is there a specific kind recommended for them? Never built one.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

General Ironicus posted:

I just built this, and the glue is more recommended than required. There are some detail parts that poke out from behind larger panels which could easily get shoved inside if you aren’t careful. Any sort of cement or glue would do. Here’s the relevant part of a WIP Twitter thread:

Neat, guess I'll order some Tamiya Cement with it when I do and see how it goes. Cheers.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The Shield really is jank, the only 'backpack' that cooperated for me with the Digimon kits is Machinedramon's cannons.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10631849/70/1 I started Master Grade Barbatos the other day and I gotta say I'm not having a great time. A1s 17 and 18 wouldn't stay in, and maybe I handled them the wrong way or maybe I didn't but replacing them a few times ended up stressing the plastic so that they can't stay in, and they're part of what the arms connect to. You'd think they'd make it a little harder to do that with the second-highest end kit. A bunch of other stuff doesn't really want to stay in either.

Maybe I can still make the arms work, but it's gonna be a fine thing.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 2, 2021

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I imagine if I had gotten them both to stay in there until I connected them to the upper cockpit part and what the arms go into it would have been fine, but now that and some other connections are gonna need to handle it if possible. I'll keep that in mind for the other sections though, thanks for the warning.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I thought I was doing okay and then it turns out one of those parts is in just the right make-shift position that I can't fit down one of the pistons properly, so any movement with the arms is gonna make me have to pick it up off the floor. I know it's my own fault and extra steps is why people get Master Grades but what was wrong with a socket connection? I don't see any reason why it couldn't have had that and the piston connections beyond them wanting some people to break it and have to send out for duplicates. Are all Master Grades like this or did I happen to see the absolute worst one in a local store?

edit: sorry for bitching, I just feel suckered

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 2, 2021

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Complaining worked and now it's more or less in a stable state. I'll shut up now however it goes next since nobody wants to hear bitching, sorry again.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh, meant to say I did get the thing fully together, and it looks really good sitting on the shelf. The arm set-up with the piston does make me reluctant to mess with it there though, and I think that'd be a bit finnicky even if I hadn't messed up those pieces. But then again, that is just how Barbatos is and the rest of it fit together fine. It does make me want to try another Master Grade, though I dunno which.

I didn't intend it as an entry, though (and it wouldn't have really been in the spirit of it if I had), so no worries.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 13, 2021

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I have it ready for when I'm done the MG Freedom 2.0 (good kit aside from the hip railguns being a bit jank), so thank you for bringing that up.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Now that I'm done the Freedom's wings I have to give the guy who snapped the box photos some credit, because getting one that implied you could have it standing and in a natural pose with them in could not have been easy. Probably shouldn't be telling you to put them in before you have the stand together.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Gallantmon and now RG Exia - PET seals for important parts really haven't made a good first impression.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The RG Wing and Crossbone are also very good incidentally, the former in particular has really nice colors.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Marx Headroom posted:

me, refreshing the preorders page to see if the moderoid White Lily and Viola Katze are up yet:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
About finished with the RG Eva-01 myself, and it's pretty cool, but I almost wish I'd gotten one of the others that doesn't have those chest parts that stick out, because they're the kind where if they pop out you basically have to reconnect them from scratch all over again. Wish the shoulders were a bit less goofy of a connection too.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I probably won't get it but I have to admire that people sat down and clearly put a fair amount of thought into how to do a horse girl kit.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
White Lily and Viola Katze waiting room.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
One of those series is Shin Mazinger Zero which hasn't had any kits, so it'll have at least one new thing.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I imagine it'd be more like scaling the MG Barbatos down than making the HG nicer given how simple the latter is, and having built the Master Grade that has its own problems. The pistons were already fiddly enough without making them 1/144th scale.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
https://twitter.com/GoodSmile_US/status/1550317732188639233

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I don't have that much to build, but I'll at least share this time around.

Starting with the Kotobukiya J-Decker, which I'd rate as a big High-Grade. Sorry for the awkward shot, kind of a big box.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I picked up the Alex 2.0 MG since I wanted it for a while, and the consensus online seems to be I'd need to sand down the wrist joints or else they're probably gonna break on me. Has anyone here done that with the kit, or a ball-joint in general? Everyone I see mentioning it just says to sand it down without much description of how they did, and I've never done that with a part before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Finished up J-Decker last night, he's not too bad. Not as good as the first Brave kit I built (Da Garn X) and he's definitely less steady on his feet, but has the same level of color separation and High-Grade level articulation. Also comes with four different kinds of hands.

Next up I'll be working on the Moderoid Zeorymer. Only got it on a whim, but I haven't been unhappy with a kit of that line yet.