Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Got my first high grade kits today at Ottawa comic con. The booth guy was super helpful. Got myself an RX-79[G]EZ-8 Gundam and a YMS-07B-0 Prototype Gouf tactical demonstrator. He didn't have the Gouf custom but close enough. Time to break out the knife and cut my hands open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished up my ez8 hg. Took me about four hours. Biggest pain was applying the decals. I have big hands so I had to carefully fenagle them into place using a toothpick.

Trim is a little rough in places and I accidentally put the hip joints in backwards which required a fix, but overall I am satisfied. Now onto the gouf prototype

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just Droyer being a control freak.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Got a question about joints. Some of the joints on my hg kits are loose, leaving legs or hands limp wristed. Is there a way to tighten these up?
Additionally a question about the waist skirts on zeon models. The gouf model I have has very loose frontal skirts that only have one ball joint to attach them and even then easily popped out of place. How can I reinforce these without making things too tight?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Apart from the wobbly hands, my HG builds went well for a first time, and I don't feel too overwhelmed. I think I'll consider a master grade or a real grade for my next build. Please tell me if you think I'm jumping the gun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Swagger Dagger posted:

You can do it!

You'd only be jumping the gun if you decided you really want to buy something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTTWeSCUoXw

I think I'll go with a real grade then. I'd like to keep most of my models the same size for obsessive compulsive reasons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BlitzBlast posted:

You'll get over it in time. Also get ready for some small rear end parts.

Honestly, this is actually a lot less frustrating than Warhammer models. Being able to just snap things together and go back and fix mistakes is a godsend compared to working with plastic cement.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ka0 posted:

Are there any plans to release Origin MGs beyond the RX-79. I would love to see a Zaku I.

Seems likely. I saw a bunch of the mobile suit discovery line the other day at comic con. One of them looked like a proto zaku 1, so I'm sure they'd make another one

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm looking at the MS-06F Zaku II Real Grade, because if I'm gonna get a Zaku, I might as well get a good one. I'd considered getting the Char custom Zaku RG, but I saw the HG Origin Zaku for Char and it looks awesome.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Speaking of rg, I got myself the rg rx-178 mk ii kit. Will see how things go

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished the main body of the Real Grade RX-178. Still need to do decals and make the weapons, but overall I am quite happy how it turned out. Toughest part was doing the tubing on the calves, the wire didn't want to stay put long enough for me to seal it in.

Alongside Ez8 and the Prototype Gouf. Still need to finish decals on them as well.
and as a bonus:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Whats the consensus on the HGUC Gerbera Tetra?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Went ahead and ordered my second Real Grade, the MS-06F Zaku II. My RX-178 build went great, so I'm moving onto some grunt suits. When I drop by the store, I might also pick up the Gouf Custom, or the Thunderbolt Zaku, because holy poo poo that thing looks sexy.

A question on detailing. I've been using a .005 micron pen to detail panel lines, but I don't have the steadiest hand. I've considered doing the inkwash technique, but I don't know how I'd go about doing it. Using the pen means I have some wobbly spots, but it is easy to clean off while it's still fresh.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 26, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I just wanted a straight-out-of-MGS REX, not a jungle camo :negative:

Speaking of things that have ludicrously large guns and radomes:

Head, upper/lower torso, chest... thing, left and right arms, I-Field generator, main gun, radome, backpack, and stand are finished. 11/18 steps done, finally getting there. :toot:

Unfortunately this leaves me with the waist, 2x leg thrusters, 2x main thrusters, gun, and verniers. And all but the gun and verniers are hilariously parts heavy, and the verniers, for being one step, still involves building four of them. :shepface:

And then there's the decals, because I am basically going to glue this thing in when I put everything together, so I'm gonna decal everything up first before I do the final assembly and :shepicide:

I've been following your progress on this for a little while now, and I have to ask just what in god's name this monstrosity is supposed to be?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Monaghan posted:

God drat do I love the anime north nominoichi. I got all of this stuff for only 200 dollars

Did you happen to pick those up from the Toys on Fire booth? You didn't see them selling an rg zaku 2 did you? I ask because I ordered one from them, went over to their store to pick it up, and discovered they'd taken their entire stock to AN in Toronto, taking my order with them.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 31, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Monaghan posted:

nope. Only thing I bought from a dealer was the hg nobel gundam from silver snail.

Okay, just thought I'd ask. I like buying from them but that was a screwup on their end. Got an email apologizing for the mixup.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

My Prototype Gouf found a friend. This kit is pretty drat solid. Only 90 degrees of elbow movement, but the thing is chunky and easy to pose.
Now onto the RG Zaku II.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On the topic of topcoating, if I were to use a matte finish, would that go on before or after sticker decals? I wonder if the film on the decals would be covered up by the matte, or if it would stick out more if I placed them on top of the finish.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Midjack posted:

After. Decals need a smooth surface to adhere. The matte will help mask the film as a bonus.

Edit : you said stickers but I thought waterslides, sorry.

Okay cool. The gouf pic I put up above was halfway done the decals and is now complete. So it would be good now for a spray down

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Finished the main body of the RG Zaku II. This thing can crouch like a pro. Puts Ez8 and the MK II to shame in that category. There were some fiddly bits I decided to superglue around the wrists, but once I get the weapons finished it remains to be seen how well that patch job will hold up. Also, the feet are super articulated, so sometimes it's a bit tricky to get a flat contact point. But I love the spring cables for the leg tubes, and the fact that the mono=eye self swivels when you move the head. Gonna decal and panel line it next.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I found a piece that I think dropped off of my RG Zaku II, but I looked over the piece list in the instructions, and I looked all over the model, and I can't see where it might have come from. It just dropped into my lap.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 7, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sazabi posted:

Is it the same color as the zaku? Can you post a pick? Does it have pegs?

This is the best picture I could get. I'm not sure what it is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

muike posted:

is that the butthole cover for the stand hole

No, It's far too small, and the RG Zaku II doesn't have a butthole on the main body. It attaches to one which then attaches to an action base.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

zelah posted:

Is it a plug that you have to pull out for the arm or leg inner frame assembly?

Might be the one you pull out of the arm assembly. You're probably right it looks like it slots in

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone built Char's Origin Zaku II? I'm debating between getting it or the RG version. Right now it's a matter of price. The main point of contention apart from that is the head sculpt, because I really like the RG Zaku II sculpt over the HGUC head sculpt.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2015/08/p-bandai-hg-1144-prototype-gouf-msd.html

Goddamn. If this keeps up I might as well label my collection the Gouf Troop and occasional other mobile suit. I wish I could paint as well as that, but a Gouf with a gun! And if it wasn't a sold out exclusive.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 12, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Suzaku posted:

Well, that does it. I need to stop putting off getting that Gouf.

It sounds like the plastic is more like the IBO kits. That stuff is super easy to clean up.

You should check out the Prototype Gouf as well and compare the two. That kit is great except for the side skirts. For some reason the front panel of the skirts are not attached to the crotch but to the rear side skirts, so they tend to fall off a lot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That big centerpiece model is asking me to go at it with a hobby knife. Even my Gouf Prototype I made when I started doesn't look that bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bimmi posted:

Wait, they made B&N employees build the kits themselves? That's not just idiotic, it borders on the sadistic.

You know you'd still do it if it was your hobby and your job. Poor buggers who don't do gunpla would be screwed but you could carve out a market for yourself. Blue table painting for gunpla

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neurolimal posted:

I'd disagree there, at least for the Z'Gok; their inner-frames come pre-built on the sprues, and the majority of your work is just putting armor onto said skeleton.

I've heard that the gundams themselves have their own unique issues though. The only problem my RGok has had was the elbow armor sometimes falling off.

The earlier RG kits have some issues with loose parts. I've already lost the trigger finger for my RG Zaku II and had to swap it out for the solid gun hand. Ironically, without the trigger finger, it actually holds the heat hawk better because I can wrap the thumb around properly.

The Gundam MK II RG is a lot better for stability, but again, those manipulator hands are very fragile, and the beam sabers do not fit in them well at all. I want my next RG to be one of the Zephyranthes variants, though I've heard they have some loose parts around the Core booster.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BlitzBlast posted:

Also it seems like every single new person never ever listens to "just put on the stickers you think look cool" and goes and puts them all on and drat near almost always complains about how many stickers there were and ugh. Uuuugh.

Uuuuugh, I just put all the stickers on my Gundam MK II and it took me three hours and was finicky and now it looks really good, kill me uuugh!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress ankle guards on Gundam type suits. Except for the Ez8. That is all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The mk ii is a great kit. Really solid construction

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Well, my country just shat the bed, I may not be able to afford Gunpla for a while.

Enjoy not paying the EU 350 million (allegedly according to idiots) a week so you can instead pay double that as fees for imports skyrocket!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Red Bones posted:

Without the EU holding us back, obviously we'll finally be able to secure that cushy tariff-free gunpla trade deal with Japan.

The most important aspect of the tpp trade deal. Though you guys will have to go via the north pole

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I found the rg zaku 2 piping rather easy actually. They pop on quite smoothly and having them on flexible coils instead of solid plastic makes posing so much better.

The big problem with the zaku for me were the flimsy trigger and three finger hands and the rear bicep pieces which like to come loose

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does anyone know if there are anymore kits in the Origin line coming out? I watched some videos about the Origin Zaku 1 and the articulation on it looks great. My Origin Char suit hasn't arrived yet but it's got me excited. Also, is there a Gunpla equivalent of THIN YOUR PAINTS?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 28, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

As in unannounced, or just in general?

Because we're at bare minimum getting a Gundam in July, and with the movies getting extended, it's pretty likely we'll get some nice battle of Loum kits.

I noticed the Local Type Gundam coming out in July and it looks awesome. I'm more curious about later stuff like an Origin version of the GM or a Gelgoog. There's bound to be a regular Zaku II around the corner, since they did the Black Tri-Stars and Char suits,

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I doubt I would ever collect pg kits but maybe get one as a centerpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Got a question regarding front skirts. My HGUC Ez8 has front skirts that move together. If I cut them apart so they move individually, will that make them fall out or will they still be held in by the rest of the waist construction? I don't want to make a cut I might regret.