Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hello all, I started watching Gundam build videos whilst working from home and checked prices and it turns out that gunpla isn't so expensive after all. Talked to some goons and got the RG Tallgeese. Very cool.

Terrible picture, will get a better one once I buy a stand. I feel like RG is the perfect balance between detail and storage size for me, so might try and tackle Full Armour Unicorn (yes I know it's got a bazillion parts), or Sazabi/Banshee Unicorn once they're back in stock in my local shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Argas posted:

I got the RG Banshee + P-Bandai Armed Armor parts from its initial outing. I'd say avoid the Banshee if only because its collar completely restricts sideways head movement. Having built a MG Unicorn in the past, it's amazing seeing the same-ish thing scaled down while still packing most of the gimmicks, albeit implemented differently due to size. The MG transformation feels more solid and stable since stuff stays in place more solidly.

Thanks for the heads up, I was mostly interested in the Banshee for the colour scheme and aesthetics honestly so poseability isn't super high up in my priority list.

Are there any other RGs that people would suggest/not suggest? I've already been warned against the Sinanju.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I built the Tallgeese recently and it ruled.

If you scroll up a bit you will see my picture of my RG Tallgeese :v: It did rule though!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Are ya kidding me, 5 minutes after I send in an order for an RG Zaku II and I get an email saying that RG Sazabi and Banshee Unicorn are back in stock at the local store :negative:

Guess I'll finish my Zaku first before buying either/both of them. Unless they sell really quickly, I guess.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah my local store has all 3 of the RG Unicorns in stock, but assuming they're still in stock after I do my Zaku for the group build, I'll probably get Sazabi first before committing to a Unicorn. Also considering I just started with gunpla I'd rather not burn myself out too hard on Full Armour :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

What's the one that won't get reprints?

RG Zaku II ready for the group build.

Also got my Tallgeese a stand. Very cool.

I think I've caught the gunpla bug.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

OK I think I can now safely join everyone else in saying "gently caress zaku pipes".

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sykic posted:

For anyone who's built an RG Zaku II, how good/bad is it? I'm trying to decide if I want that or the The Origin Zaku II C-6/R6. They both have a ton of detail for a Zaku and I love the rifle that comes with the C-6/R6, but there's a part of me insisting the RG must be better just because it's an RG kit.

I'm building the RG Zaku II right now, just have stickers left. Like most RGs the stickers are a right pain in the butt, with some really tiny ones. Outside of those, the pipes are annoying too as mentioned by others, but not too bad IMO. As long as you don't let them slip off the tubing and be in some random order, it does matter.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm doing most of them, but I lost a couple thanks to bad timing on my fan/AC. A couple of my panels will never be shiny... :negative:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've been freed from sticker hell. The build itself was alright, leg-waist connection could be sturdier though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My gunpla shelf looks quite nice in natural lighting.

I'm starting to think that I need to get a better phone camera, though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

So, uh, I went to the store just planning on getting the RG Sazabi.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

drat this RG Z'Gok kicks so much rear end, I love it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Decided the little pilots deserved to be on the base as well. I cannot reiterate how much fun the RG Zgok is to play around with, it can even do handstands.

RG Sazabi next!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

RIP, managed to twist off a peg in the shoulder assemblage of the RG Sazabi. Time to break out the superglue and live with some lowered articulation.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Snail Information posted:

how did you break it?

Not my picture, but this person broke it in the exact same way as me. When I tried to flip out the shoulder assemblage it got stuck on the peg and instead the peg twisted right off. I would pin it down but the hand drill I have sucks so right now I've just superglued it down until I can dig around in the family toolbox after work. It won't be able to flip out but I wasn't really planning on doing poses that it would need to anyway.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Marx Headroom posted:

Don't feel bad, I accidentally nipped off a piece of the visor and had to do some precision gluing too. That kit demands respect from modelers apparently. God is the end result beautiful though.

Yeah, even only halfway complete it's intimidating as hell. Hopefully should be able to complete the main suit tonight, accessories tomorrow.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Just stickers left. This kit is rad.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

RG Sazabi done and all stickered up. Love this big boy.

The Char shelf begins...

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Does anyone have strong opinions on the RG RX-78-2? I know it's the very first one so probably have a bunch of teething pains but hey, gotta have an RX-78.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah I'm more of a pose-once kinda guy. Will think about it then.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

drat, how big are those boxes?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Jesus Christ.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

You should also be able to find paint-on primer if you don't want to spray paint. Again, check out tabletop mini stores or something.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Once the month ticks over and I let myself buy some more gunpla I'm going to get the RG RX-78 and the RG Nu Gundam to die of gunpla quality whiplash.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

For me I just stick to 1-2 RG kits a month which I can get through in a couple of weeks. Keeps me paced.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah it looks drat cool. Apparently it's slated to cost more than the RG FA Unicorn though? :negative:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

LibrarianCroaker posted:

technically yeah, msrp 5500 yen vs 5400 yen. the FA Unicorn might have a cut down price if your shop wants to move some old stock or something, i guess.

unless you want the last shooting premium kit, which yeah, way more expensive.

Nah, just the regular. I guess the high price despite not having as many accessories as the FA Unicorn is because the Zeong is just a massive chonker?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I am ready to be intensely shocked by quality disparity.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

The finished look of each is still terrific, but you will definitely see the improvement in the internal mechanics of the 93 over the 78-2.

You're right, the RX-78 does look pretty drat cool when done, even if it feels pretty flimsy.

Nu Gundam next.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

RG Nu Gundam owns like crazy and I'm glad that I picked up the effects set. Going to pick up a second set when I'm next at the store so that both the Nu and the Sazabi can have 3 out each.

Might also go ham and pick up the RG FA Unicorn whilst I'm there...

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

drat, makes me wish I had a better camera/photo setup.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Is there any actual difference between the RG Gundam Mk II Titans and AEUG other than colour scheme?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The Titans version has some minor parts to convert it into a test type but that's about it.

Hmm, fair enough. Might just end up picking up both when I get around to them.

asterioth posted:

Ty! It's just my phones camera + a cheap photo box I got on amazon a few years ago.

Might just be my phone being poo poo then :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

LibrarianCroaker posted:

It's possible, but most phone cameras are pretty good. Most quality issues with phone shots are a. bad lighting, and b. not configuring your camera well. Here, check this out.

Yeah it's probably the lighting in my room, it's not great for taking photos.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The RG Zakus have had an interesting solution to the issue by having the pipes be plastic on a separate runner and the circles are on a runner that is made so that you can slide in the plastic piece then snip off all the circles. The issue comes if you accidentally let the circles slide off and don't know what order to put them back in.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Xaerael posted:

RG Zakus are also one of the most on-sprue breakage ridden nightmares I've ever encountered.

Oh yeah, I got very lucky with ordering mine online. I have a local shop that I go to nowadays so I can at least check the runners beforehand if I ever feel like getting the other RG Zaku variants I didn't get.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Maybe, I got mine a couple of months ago so it's possible.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Anyone have any strong opinions on the RG Build Striker Full Package or Force Impulse Gundam? Eyeing getting one of them next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Veotax posted:

I enjoyed the RG Force Impulse, I made a post comparing it to the old MG a few months back that I would link if I wasn't on my phone.

Ooo, thanks, I had a look through your post history and found it. Also cool that you reviewed the RG Titans MkII, I was eyeballing that one too.

I'm probably gonna be the guy who ends up with only RGs lol