Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Hey all, first time posting in this tread and I would like to get you guys' opinions on something.

I got into gunpla building late 2019. At the moment I've only got half a dozen models built, mostly from the Digimon Amplified series. While they are fun to build, I decided that if I was going to continue the hobby I needed to get my own set of tools.

Just yesterday, I picked up a set of Klein Tool flush cutters and a hobby knife from a hardware store. Before that, I'd just been using what other people in my house had on hand so I can't tell you what brand they were. Before buying the hobby knife I tried to sand nubs down but it never really worked out the way I wanted it to.

Are the brand of cutters I picked up sufficient or should I have found a set specifically for gunpla? Also, do you guys have any tips for using a hobby knife to get rid of nubs? I don't want to cut myself on my first attempt. I did see a video where someone used a chisel head instead of the standard angled blade. Would that be an okay method.

Sorry if this got wordy, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to make this new hobby something worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Do you guys have a preferred brand of sandpaper? I found what looked like good, high grit sandpaper from 3M but I would like y'all's opinion.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

5/6 complete. Also first blood sacrifice.

Balache404 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 25, 2021

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you use imgur you won't have to contend with crap watermarks, just as an fyi.

Remedied.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Not really a Gunpla per se, but I did get the Gallantmon Amplified kit. Great overall kit, but the cape is VERY finnicky and I just kinda left it after getting it somewhat nice looking.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Probably the only one here that cares about this line but F it, it's going here anyways:

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1503218143908401154

Surprisingly, we're getting more models based off of side material. Wonder if it'll include the Ouryuken.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

He may not be a robot, but he's mine and I love him.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Finally got around to finishing this kit after leaving it for a few months. Really neat for my first RG. Noticeably more complex than the HGs I have though it didn't seem much more complex than the Digimon kits I usually build. Next step would be to stop being lazy and actually consistently sand away nibs instead of trying to polish scuff marks.

I will say though that I could feel my eyeballs inverting while I was placing all the decals.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, that's a thing with RGs. I've got the stickers to do on my RG God Gundam. I think I'm going to pick up another half-finished project and just bask in being finished building the thing. because that's a lot of loving stickers.

I put on most of the decals, but the tiny circles or rectangles that are just gonna get lost were too much of a pain and you can't really tell anyway.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

I made a huge lad. He is huge.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Only one more to go (until my local store gets ShineGreymon that is)

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Fun build, glad it came with a base cause the wings don't fold in well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Can I ask you guys what you do with the boxes your model kits come in? I'm running out of closet space and I might just stick the instructions and spare parts into ziplocks and put those in a case to make room.