Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I got back into GunPla after like a decade of Warhammer 40k, and it is definitely an interesting change of pace. Impressive in a lot of ways (the movable frame, price, usable instructions despite not knowing a lick of Japanese, molded in color, the sticker-decals are amazing) and less impressive in a few (surface detail, durability).

Anyway, first go was the RG Zaku II:

I have the RG RX-78 on the way as well. Figured I may as well get the two most iconic UC suits, made easier by the Shinanju being like fifty bucks.

This kit was an absolute pleasure despite the high part count. I think I dicked up the wrists, but the rest of it went together super easy, and with the decals and the panel lines (the one thing I did that wasn't out-of-box, was scoring them in with a .2mm Micron pen) the detail is amazing. My only concern is that it might have ruined non-RG kits for me - I don't remember all the Gundum Wing MGs I did in the early 00's having this level of detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

The RGs are mostly great, but I wouldn't discount high grades just yet. The recent releases have been very impressive with regards to surface detailing and engineering.

I had a bunch of the old HGUC ones back in the day - the only one I remember for sure is the GP03 Dendrobium - and some of the HG Gundam Wing kits, and while I assume they've gotten better in the last 15 years, I have no idea how to tell what's new and what's old anymore. Are there any HGs as good as the old MGs? I'd love to build the MG Tallgeese, but I have no idea if it's cool and good or not.

Zonekeeper posted:

I feel the same way after my first RG. I built a 00 Qan[T] in transparent trans-am colors and now HGs don't seem all that appealing to me any more. (Aside from the more modern kits like the Origin line)

This is exactly my problem - I love the old designs, but I want a modern kit of them.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I got trashed last night Christmas shopping on Amazon and threw in a PG Wing Zero for myself, so I guess that's happening now.

Neat.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Finished my RG RX-78, to go with the Zaku I did before, and posed them both up:

Only GunPla left in the queue is the PG Wing Zero I bought while drunk, but I kinda want to stick to RG/HG kits after that, the 1/144 scale works pretty well with stuffing them into the extra shelf in my 40k cabinet.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Buy the cheapest primer you can find.

I was thinking this exact thing, I've accidentally gotten pretty much the same texture over-spraying cheap primer.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 20, 2018

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I just spend like 3 hours building one arm of the PG Wing Zero, and I counted up the parts involved: counting the screws and stuff, 75. For an arm. Which is already almost the size of the RG Zaku it's going to end up next to in my case. This thing kicks rear end.

Midjack posted:

Handpainting can look as good as airbrushing but takes more practice to learn and more time to execute.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The trick to good handpainting is watch enough of the Warhammer TV's Duncan's tutorials until he convinces you it's as easy as he makes it look.

Hell yeah. The key is just to do maddening numbers of thinned coats until eventually all the brush marks overlap in ways that hide everything and it smooths out. I've done a mess of Warhammer dudes with 3-5 coats in some spots, it just takes patience and practice. Absolute worst-case, you ruin a $20 HG kit, and you can try stripping the paint off and re-doing it later. But you still learn something doing it, and that's the important bit, because it means the next one will be better.

That said, when I do larger models, I do try to spray on the base coat - if not an airbrush, at least a rattle can.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I have a DETOLF and a KLINGSBO - the Detolf is universally adored in Gundam and Warhammer circles, but if you want a different sort of look (or a lockable door), I ride hard for the Kingsbro. It has a bit of extra space - its a few inches wider/deeper, and there's a fifth shelf inside plus a wire rack on the bottom - but you could also get two Detolfs for the price of one of them, so just go with that unless you dig the look of the Klingsbo.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Insanely stoked for that RG Tallgeese, objectively the coolest suit from Wing.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

RillAkBea posted:

Straight out of left field, the ReGelgu goes up on P-Bandai today.

http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000124859

You know, in case that was a thing that anybody wanted. ...anybody? ...no? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Man I love the Gelgoog but this is, uhh, a bit much.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

If that is an RG Sazabi I'm absolutely buying one of these to go with it. http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10022752

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I'm most of the way done with the HGIBO Reginlaze Julia and it fairly owns. I wish all kits came with a stand, janky as this one is, but the fact that it's a High Grade with a full inner frame (albeit not a super detailed one) is pretty neat. Fun little kit, snaps together quick but I'm taking the chance to paint it up and it takes to washes really well.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The review doesn't mention that issue, but I suppose that doesn't mean it's not there.

He did mention a little flap on the back of the torso that you have to unlock to get the ab crunch. He doesn't outright say it, but I'm guessing it's there to keep the boosters from pulling the thing backwards. I'm also surprised that they just got rid of most of the whole-limb-molded-in-one-piece frame and went with a normal MG-style one with separate parts. I guess they learned after the Sinanju (which I built and adore, but also is a huge pig) that that wasn't really gonna work?

I badly want that kit, though I can't justify it until I clear out my backlog. The reviewer seemed extremely pleased with it.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Anora posted:

Wow, after putting both the RG Banshee Norn, and the Johnny Ridden's Zaku II, I don't think RG is really for me. I think I'd be fine with them at 1/100 scale, but there are way to many tiny rear end parts.

I'mm sticking to HG and MG at this point.

The RGs are fiddly and I almost always break at least one tiny part trimming nubs, but I kinda still like them - the Sinanju was a real mother fucker, but I've done the Zaku II and RX-78, and they were neat. The Gundam in particular is a fuckin choice kit. The thing I currently hate working on but am forcing myself to slog through is the PG Wing Zero Custom. Two hours and like 75 parts to build one giant arm, assembling all the frame joints from individual parts and screwing stuff together, can get hosed. Totally feel you on just opting out of certain lines, is what I mean, and slapping up a HG in an evening is so relaxing after one of these big 200+ part kits that come on 15 runners.

The end result is dope as hell but man this is a death march. I picked up an MG Gelgoog as a reward for myself when I get done with this monster.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

The Muffinlord posted:

Not really. FM's gimmick is that they are Full Mechanics, meaning a complete inner frame. That was core to the Iron Blooded Orphans design philosophy, where the designs were essentially modular armor and parts on top of standardized frames. They aren't as detailed as MGs or REs, but they have the full internal frame in every kit.

I built the HG Reginlaze Julia and even that thing has a full internal frame, albeit not a terribly detailed one, though it painted up nice. The IBO kits are all so good, mostly because like you said, the designs kind of force them to go with a full frame even on the High Grades.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

It's an easy enough build, but everything flops around and parts fall off every time you try to mess with it. It does look like it's hauling rear end when it's standing still, so if you like the design go for it.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

The Battletech designs from MechWarrior Online and the new turn-based game are so loving good, but the tabletop models look dumb as hell - I played a shitload of MWO back in the day, and if they ever made a resin/plastic model of the Jenner design from that game I'd scoop it up in a hot minute.

I have a decent collection of Warhammer robots and mans, but you really have to buy into that space goth wizard aesthetic to like them. They're both cool, but I tend to use one as a hobby palate cleanser when I burn out on the other.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

asterioth posted:

We already have a PG Wing tho

Hell yeah.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

EVGA Longoria posted:

Need to find a pose I like and do some real pictures in the light booth, but wanted to share my latest creation.

Vallejo mecha primer for everything. Purple is the SpectraTex metallic purple I mentioned before, gold is just Tamiya Gold, and the white is Tamiya White. Topped with a few coats of Future, and let set for 4 or so days.

I think it came out pretty awesome.

Confirming that this owns.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Zark the Damned posted:

This looks like it was created by the Whizzard.

Dare you enter his magical realm?

New line of Bandai PGs (Piss Grade) looking good.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Zedd posted:

My "Yay im slightly less sick" self-treat arrived. :toot:

That Reginlaze Julia is probably one of my favorites that I've done recently. Posability is a bit hosed unless you pop the bottom of the leg binders out of the lower leg (they hold just fine with just the top set in), but the design looks mean as hell, there are minimal stickers, and I'm still getting over a High Grade with a full inner frame. Took to paint really well too.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Monaghan posted:

Speaking of decals it is legit bullshit that pg zaku doesn't come with waterslides or dry transfers. Just ugly, ugly, stickers.

I don't think I've ever used a sticker as a decal once. They just always look like trash to me.

The PG Wing Zero Custom didn't come with anything at all, and I'm not sure if that's better or worse.

I still use the stickers, mind - I'll take what I can get, and I think all the tiny warning labels and stuff give the model a good sense of scale - but they don't look as good as dry transfers or waterslides, for sure.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I still need to build his stand and guns/shield, but main construction is complete, and I love my large perfect son:

MG Gelgoog 2.0, first Master Grade in, uhh, at least 15 years. Panel-lined and dull-coated the outside, did a bunch of painting on the frame and a few details on the outside, then just the stickers and dry-transfers (which own) from the kit. Extremely happy with this enormous plastic lad.

And one of him back in town, with the boys:

EDIT: Christ, I promise the nub marks don't look that disastrous in real life - they're noticable, and bad in a few spots, but the harsh lighting there is doing me no favors.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 1, 2018

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

asterioth posted:

That looks like the PG Zero, iirc theres no stand for that one.

It is, and there, as far as I'm aware, isn't a stand that'll hold it, though if there is I'd 100% pick one up, in general GunPla looks so much better on a stand.

I did try and do the "leaning way back firing the guns with the wings propping him up" thing, but one of the legs fell off. Once I get a second display case and have enough room that I can put him in it instead of on top of it, I might get more adventurous with the posing, but this was basically a way to make it not eat poo poo tumbling onto a cat from 5 feet up.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I've been following this thing on twitter for some reason, but I still have no idea what that mech is. I love the giant goober, I just don't know what it's supposed to be, other than like maybe some weird design from Zeta or ZZ?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I don't think there's been a PG that wasn't a movie/series lead Gundam since the Zaku (which was one of the first ones), unless you count the red Astray with the samurai sword, and I figured they'd be running low on those by now, but now that I think of it, there's kind of a ton? Nu, Barbatos, ZZ (which would be quite a loving kit), Turn-A, the Alex, Gundam X, Ground Type from 08th MS Team, probably more I'm forgetting, and it just keeps going. There's a shitload of Gundams, goddamn.

I mean I understand the motives behind doing variant re-releases and whatnot, it's way less work for them, but I'd love to see a whole new kit, and it would have been the perfect time for a PG Nu (which I would instantly buy, because the design owns).

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

The fuckin' screws and metal pieces in the PG Wing Zero made me give up on the kit after doing the first arm, and I didn't go back to it for several months. Eventually I plowed through and finished it, but more out of spite than anything else.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I'm excited for that thicc boi no matter what scale he's in.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Not to defend the GW models, because they are absolutely insanely priced for what they are (even compared to other wargaming minis), but the detail molded into that tiny $35 character model completely destroys what you get on any GunPla I've ever seen.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

The commander models tend to be on the most skewed end of the scale, but I have both a GW Imperial Knight and a PG Wing Zero, which cost roughly the same, and the knight is about half the size, though I'd put it as high if not higher in quality, depending on what your personal rubric is - the Knight's an easier build, but requires way more painting, the Gundam beats it in posability, but the Knight's never had parts fall off, etc.

EDIT: Also, yeah, in the wargaming ecosystem, Games Workshop just clobbers every other range out there.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

RillAkBea posted:

Schizophonic9s pictorial of the RE/100 Base Jabber is up.

http://schizophonic9.com/re4/re_basejabber.html

It doesn't look… great. Color separation is not much better than the HG. If PB would let me cancel single items I'd probably cancel mine as if that's the final result then it doesn't feel quite worth the novelty.

quote:

The grip for MS is fixed and does not move. There are also a few meat removers.

The landing gear is 2 parts and there is a meat punching on the back side.

I don't know what Google Translate did to this page, but I think I like it.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

The IBO High Grades are dope if you can get into the very particular aesthetic that IBO has.

asterioth posted:

So I built the HG Moon Gundam and god drat is this a great kit, it's so good for a high grade. I see now why some people are calling it a HG 1.5/RG 0.5, it has so much detail in it for a HG. No stickers for the kit at all, the eyes/cameras in the head are one green piece/one clear piece. The only thing I did besides panel lining was to use some micron pens to do the green on the head, the faint red on the rear antenna, and the red on the legs.

I love this kit, and you did a good job with it. I almost certainly won't get it (I think it looks neat but not enough for me to pick up, despite being from the Best Gundam Timeline), but I love it for what it represents. If this is Bandai's new standard for High Grades, then I'm very excited for future kits.

EDIT: colvinology (the beer and GunPla guy) has been one of my favorite instagram follows lately - he does repeat Gundams sometimes, but his beer recommendations are solid.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 23, 2018

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Also, multiple thin coats, is the most valuable lesson I picked up from warhams.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

The new ones do, I'm working on the RG Unicorn now and it has english instructions, but for the most part it's like Ikea furniture, just pictograms and a few symbols that are more or less easy to figure out. The hardest part, to be honest, is the ones where the sticker sheet is labelled in Japanese, so you have to look at it like "well this tiny warning label is...the two slash marks and then the...sideways U with the line in it??" and hunt that down on the sheet.

EDIT: Here's a random cheatsheet I found searching reddit, that explains them: https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunpla/comments/j5s17/heres_an_english_translation_guide_to_the_symbols/

You can see that they're mostly self-evident, other than the "do this first/last" and the "repeat for other side" ones, which I constantly get backwards in my head. Fortunately the pictures in the instructions are really good, like I think they use the CAD drawings of the actual parts, so you can rely on identifying little gribblies on the part to figure out the orientation if you get into trouble.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 20, 2018

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Booourns posted:

Banagher, remember the Neo Zeong? It's back, in Stein form

Hell yeah, hopefully it does more than show up and get instantly chumped in a fight against two Unicorns before taking them on a Willy Wonka hellboat tour of the Universal Century's hosed-up past.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I really love that Exia kit and every time I get drunk on the computer I want to get one as a second PG, but I just can't get excited enough about the suit itself to go through that build. Exia just always just looks to me like it has a giant head.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Puddin posted:

I never really liked the Exia and and of the other 00 models, but when I saw the PG with the lighting model announced, I thought that looks pretty good and bought it as a treat to myself.

Its now hands down one of, if not my favourite kit. It is a ton of fun to build, even the plastic feels of a higher grade and easier to work with. Finished it looks amazing and once I was finished with it, i was actually kinda upset that the build was over.

If you can get your hands on the MJH (Dragon Momoko) aftermarket LED kit it is a 1/3rd of the price, which if you bought the base model of the PG reduces the price considerably and apparently has one less bay for batteries, but gains a micro USB port so you can plug the thing in and have the lights on all the time and use it like the best lamp there ever is.

God I wish they all had this, I'd buy one of the lit-up PGs and use it as a slightly less trashy version of the leg lamp from A Christmas Story.

That's good to know though, and I really do think the kit looks awesome, I just wish it was a mech I liked more - if they do a PG Nu up to the same standard I'll buy it in a heartbeat, and I actually almost picked up the Unicorn, but I already have it in RG and I don't know if I want to build a bigger version of the same one when there are so many other designs out there.

RillAkBea posted:

I ended up ripping off the waterslides and throwing them in the garbage. Handpainting the gold trim actually worked out much easier than I thought. Gold on black just works really well and with an ultra fine brush there was never really enough paint in play for it to flow away.

This seems like the way to go, I can't imagine those waterslides going on well at all, and the gold all being raised detail is going to make painting it on go pretty easy (with the caveat that I've been painting models well before I got into GunPla, so I'm used to dealing with that).

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

PG Nu seems inevitable sooner or later, but I figure we'll get a RG of that real soon now that there's a Sazabi.

I'd love anything that came with a bunch of dumb lights and gimmicks, and realistically they're never going to do anything that isn't a series-lead Gundam, but I kinda want something stupid like a Geara Doga or a Gelgoog, one of the UC grunt suits. I think seeing that PG Gouf that someone converted out of the Zaku II and entered into GBWC broke my brain.

EDIT: Actually, how has there not already been a PG Nu? It feels like a slam-dunk for Bandai, but somehow they skipped that when they were going down the timeline of UC hero suits. 0083 got a PG, there's gotta be a reason that Char's Counterattack didn't. Is it just too drat big?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

There was a 1/550 one of the Dendrobium, which I remember having years ago, and they did a Neue Ziel too.

It was pretty grim. The doors on the containers opened, but there wasn't a hinge, you had to pop them off and then back on again, and the only articulation I remember is a couple of joints in the claw arm. I'm not even sure it was molded in color at all - at best it might have been white and grey. Was still dope to have it in plastic, but the kit itself, I know my 16-year-old rear end didn't to it justice, and I'm not sure it'd look that good even if I had.

EDIT: Took a minute, but I found it on Dalong, and it might be even worse than I remember (not bad as a normal model kit, but if you're judging it on GunPla standards, it's rough): http://dalong.net/review/etc/hgm1/hgm1_i.htm

EDIT2: Sorry to keep updating this post, but HLJ has the wretched thing in stock and for twelve bucks it's time to put my money where my mouth is and give this bad boy another go.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 25, 2019

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

RillAkBea posted:

I have the 550 on my shelf and it's not awful. It's just that despite the High Grade *cough*Mechanics*cough* label it's definitely more of a traditional model kit than a Gunpla. For a cost and space effective way to get the Dendrobium on your shelf though, there's not much better.

You mean like this?

This isn't even all of them. :negative: And I have to move apartments next month god help me, though it might be a nice opportunity to get some better shelves because I build up that wall piecemeal and it really shows.

Yeah, I'm not going to say I never thought about the HG, but the 1/550 is by far the easier one to afford/build/store. I might not have been entirely fair to it, like you said, you have to think of it as a normal model kit, not a GunPla. And by those standards I think it's pretty decent for what it is, but I guess I'll find out for sure when it shows up.

That's a really nice collection, by the way, both in content and presentation.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

For what it's worth, I just use a set of wire cutters I got from Home Depot or something 20 years ago, and a generic exacto knife, and things seem to come out ok.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

https://twitter.com/mountain_goats/status/1110542243507699712

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

chiasaur11 posted:

Wing is pretty tiny by Gundam standards. There was a stretch from F91 to X where Gundams were shrinking. Ended with Turn A, which got the main Gundam back up to a comfortable 20 meters.

I love seeing the MG F91 next to the RG Sazabi, and the Sazabi is noticeably larger despite being a much smaller scale. UC suits just kept getting bigger from 0079 through 0096, and then got way smaller after.