Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003

Puddin posted:

The ball and pin kit would be perfect if I could find one that's 4mm in diameter.

According to the CAD drawing on Koto's site, that pack contains 3mm, 3.5mm, 5mm, 6mm, and 8mm balls. For 4mm balls, I think you want Wave's BJ-04

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003
Also you'll see a little " mark on some parts, like so:

That means roughly "look at this edge of the part to make sure you've got it facing the right way".

Numbered diamonds indicate order of operations, like so:

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003

Romes128 posted:

Is gundamplanet ok to order from? I see they have some kits cheaper than amazon, but never had any experience with them.

I've ordered a lot of kits from them, they've been great. Prompt shipping, sturdy boxes with bubble-wrapped contents, and shipping manifests that have obviously been double-checked by a human. The closest thing I've had to an issue with them is that sometimes they'll stick something small (like an LED kit) inside an MG box, with an accompanying note on the manifest.

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003

asterioth posted:

but cleaning the topcoat out of it wasnt fun

What're you using to clean with? Airbrush cleaner is kind of weak in my experience. I'd recommend 91% isopropyl alcohol in a wash bottle as a standard cleaner. And for really stubborn gunk, Mr. Tool Cleaner R will melt just about anything.

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003
I got VMC paints from Squadron. A couple of them came with cracked nozzles, but they shipped replacements no questions asked.

If you want Gunze Sangyo or Tamiya paint, nobody beats Sealmodel's prices, but you have to be willing to wait for shipping, plus they've been known to fart around on actually getting orders shipped out. If you're willing to wait 2-3 months though, everything I've ordered from them arrived in pristine condition.

You'll also want a spray box for airbrushing. All the ones on amazon are the exact same model (I have it, it's flimsy enough that I wouldn't be comfortable re-packing it often but it does the job. Also, Micromark sells the replacement filters much cheaper than anybody else.) Or you can make your own with cardboard, a furnace filter and a box fan - but you'll need to figure out a way to vent outside if you're spraying anything other than acrylics.

Tsubasa2004 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 4, 2018

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

This just asks for a home country then shows different goods based on the selection. What exactly are you linking to?

Select a language, then click on the original link again.

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003

OscarDiggs posted:

Whats the best way to deal with stress marks, or even avoid them in the first place?

Cutting technique is a big part of it. Make two cuts - one through the gate, and then a second cut flush with the part. Single-bladed cutters are good for that - they crush the plastic less which reduces stress. Also, just rubbing the stress mark with your fingernail can make it much less noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003

wdarkk posted:

If they are model kits, are they using the tech from the figure-rise labo series? I thought that was cool but a bit skeezy.

1999.co.jp has posted the guts of one of the kits, and the answer is no. Looks like the eyes and a lot of details are stickers, and the skin is single-tone plastic.