Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bimmi posted:

Guess I have to post this at least once per thread:

note: this photo is several years old, and the back wall is now almost totally obscured by a giant stack of HGs, MGs, and random miscellania. Also, my collection 20 years ago covered approximately five times the wall space it does here.

So please, tell me more about your loving backlogs.

I'm glad to see this is a even bigger problem with small plastic robots than it is with small plastic tanks and airplanes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A question, thread: what are good sniper bots in high grade? Is there like a grunt sniper?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

TaurusOxford posted:

GM Sniper II, or GM Sniper K9 if you want a fun Build Fighters variant.

I'm not quite sure what "build fighters" is but it's the same grouping as the Hi-mock, so I'm going to say yes.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And Pandora's Box creaks open on another hapless soul's wallet :unsmigghh:.

Look up Gundam Build Fighters episode 1 on youtube, it'll go right to the official Gundam.Info youtube channel.

I've been browsing the thread and that Eureka 7 mech you have looks cool; you should try to work it into the Nixon admin

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Taintrunner posted:

I'm still waiting on decals before moving on buuuut...

I actually wish the screws for joints was mandatory, they really help keep the joints together in a way I really appreciate.

I like the hoses. Boot lace?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Neurolimal posted:

I demand consistency in my bizarre series of anime robot shows that include a show where people do kungfu to win a robot tournament, a show where little kids paint war machines and then make them duel, and a show about an experimental tall grunt suit where everybody in the universe dies

Lol what's that last one, it sounds like "On the Beach" but with giant fighting robots

I've already seen "a GBS [George Bernard Shaw] play, but with giant fighting robots"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I feel like my take was better

Nebakenezzer posted:

Cross post from a group build thread:

I don't know where this dude comes from. He is named...Watermelon SEED?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So I noticed Netflix has a Gundam, Mobile suit Gundam UC. This is the first gundam I've seen aside from one ep of build fighters. My observations so far are:

1. The mecha are cool, those basic soldier types don't last long do they

2. I'm in the middle of the start of a confusing war, and about half the characters are slan or something

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Arcsquad12 posted:

Quick rundown: the show takes place sixteen years after a giant war where half of humanity died in one month. Instead of a decisive victory countless smaller successor conflicts spurred up in the aftermath, and the Sleeves are the perpetrators of the latest war. The major conflicts of UC are the One Year War (Federation vs Zeon), the Gryps Conflict (Federation civil war between Earth supremacists and Spacenoid sympathizers), the First Neo Zeon War (where Zeon attacked a weakened Federation immediately following the end of the Gryps Conflict), the Second Neo Zeon War (Where ace pilot turned Zeon icon Char Aznable tried to throw asteroids at earth to force a mass migration to space) and the current Third Neo Zeon War (the Sleeves and Federation fighting for control of a mysterious trump card called Laplace's Box, which is supposed to contain incriminating evidence that could cripple the Federation and galvanize spacenoids into joining the Zeon cause)

If you're unfamiliar with UC Gundam, just know that anyone called a newtype is a psychic human who can 1: communicate telepathically and from beyond the grave and 2: pilot mobile suits really really well. Char Aznable was a notorious Zeon mobile suit pilot turned revolutionary who went on a vendetta against Zeon's ruling Zabi family for (allegedly) killing his father, and later fought for the independence of spacenoids from the Earth Federation. There is a shitton more to say about Char, but for the intents of Gundam Unicorn, just know that Full Frontal is trying to live up to Char's reputation and to serve as an icon to draw spacenoids to the Sleeve's cause.

It's a Universal Century show, they always come with ludicrously high bodycounts for named characters. If you're in a grunt suit, your survival rate is measured by how fast you transfer to a grunt suit custom or to a protagonist/antagonist mobile suit.

Pop your head over here in the main Gundam thread if you want to talk about it some more.

Thanks. Didn't know that was a thing.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Is there a good gundam e-shop in Canada?

Amazon.ca seems mostly to be resellers based out of Japan.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

tenderjerk posted:

how does one topcoat over acrylics? Is it even possible to do this without your paint bleeding all over the place?

If you look around scale models, you can find discussions on how "hot" a paint is, IE what paints can go over what paints. Acrylics don't handle other paint types over them very well, but have no problems above other paint types.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Do Gundam instructions come in English?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I just got me the Zaku sniper, but it's a character name custom, and it had little extra bits that you are supposed to glue on.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Why the cloak?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

As someone who's built many scale models and is building his second gundam, I get why people don't fill in seams. The kits have incredible engineering already, and gundam are kinda weird in that the things they are supposed to look like are more or less designed to be a graded model kit in the first place, so even just constructing these things gets them drat close to the original. That said, I'm erasing lines and primering poo poo, because...this is how we do it?

I'm building a HG Zaku Sniper. I have a few ideas for painting, no idea if they will work or not.

Also question gundam nerds, do gundam get any wear or weathering? It seems to me they are made of space-age material and get as much maintenance as a F-14A.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 17, 2018

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Xaerael posted:

Ask me about the massive decal on the PG Banshee shield :suicide:

In other news.... I think I'll be getting some serious mileage out of this technique...

Nice. Black, then some....magic paint? It looks really good whatever you are doing

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Stopped in at my local hobby store, and drat.

That's some expensive plastic.

Ended up buying an Ez8 to build my first kit in like, eighteen years

I've spent nearly that much on a model, (Tamiya with many extra features I-400) and may meet that price if I'm serious about buying Revell's 1/144 An-225.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Noice

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ka0 posted:

I have the other problem, I'll build and paint my kits but I hoard building supplies and paints.

I'm seeing a doctor on Wednesday

Good lord man

You remember when that goon posted pics of his 30K or so gun collection, and later some people broke in his house and stole 'em?

I'm just saying, I'm out here, watch out

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phy posted:

It's in DIY, the Scale Model megathread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3148869&perpage=40&pagenumber=380#pti20

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Merilan posted:

Speaking of the Nu, the MG Nu was my first ever Gunpla that I did when I was like 13 or 14 and it still lives in a very special place in my mother's bric a brac cabinet:

I remember being astounded that it had diecast parts for the hips and the legs, probably to prop the Funnels up? It was a very neat birthday present to be certain.

Wow, those are cool seashells beneath the urchin shells.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If you want pictures of some p. cool gunpla mixed in p.cool other things, the modelling news has been posting pictures from the 58th Shizuoka Hobby Show

part 1
part 2

I understand little about gunpla but I think a bunch of manufacturers are banding together to make a new gunpla thing?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Gripweed posted:

Maybe "30MM Group Build! ends March 30th"

e: durr nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So around this time last year I finished a Zaku Sniper. Pictures were long in coming because I wanted to build a light box for photographs, and that took longer.