Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

They killed Joker. Imagine how cool it would have been if they killed Batman! Next game you play as Oracle or Robin or something.

Pfft, like they'd let a handicapped lady be a player character.

The only handicapped character that comes to mind is Bently from third Sly Cooper game onward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So i've been playing Origins and i'm finding it difficult to actually believe it's part of the canon of the series. It's not a bad game, but it's a lot better if you just treat it as an Elseworlds game where Batman is just a total dickhead.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
To be fair, Batman's almost as much of a dickhead in Arkham City.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
For what it's worth, Rocksteady doesn't consider it as part of the Arkham series as far as continuity goes. So I don't believe there's anything from Origins that will be in Knight, which I kinda regret. There was some stuff in Origins I thought was pretty neat!

That being said, I heard rumblings and I don't recall where from that Rocksteady is pretty much checking out on Batman after Arkham Knight. But it's already been established that other companies can use the same engine, so who knows. Maybe we'll start getting Call of Duty-like installments of Batman every year or two.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

dscruffy1 posted:

For what it's worth, Rocksteady doesn't consider it as part of the Arkham series as far as continuity goes. So I don't believe there's anything from Origins that will be in Knight, which I kinda regret. There was some stuff in Origins I thought was pretty neat!

That being said, I heard rumblings and I don't recall where from that Rocksteady is pretty much checking out on Batman after Arkham Knight. But it's already been established that other companies can use the same engine, so who knows. Maybe we'll start getting Call of Duty-like installments of Batman every year or two.

Everyone I know is waiting with bated breath for the possibility of a Beyond Arkham game.

I appreciate Origins for trying something new, and I kind of hope people run with just having different Batmans without trying to make them all fit together.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Everyone I know is waiting with bated breath for the possibility of a Beyond Arkham game.

Give the license to Platinum.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Rules of Batman! :black101:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"We have removed Robin's Brain and placed him in this dog shaped robot."
"Doktoracle, why on earth would you do that?"
"I thought it was funny, we call him Ace now, it pisses him off."

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Ace the Bat-dog! :v:

Also I guess the surgeon would probably be Hush. Because reasons.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Probably, but I couldn't resist the terrible Doktoracle pun.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Glazius posted:

Nah, it's pretty clear what Rorschach and Ozymandias were. Rorschach is The Boy Who Always Did The Right Thing, and Ozymandias is The Boy Who Could Do Anything. (Dr. Manhattan is a slight variant, The Boy Who Knew Everything.)

The point of Watchmen is that superheroes stand for adolescence, and that people who are still becoming can't always come to grips with the problems of the world. I mean, maybe there was a way to advance world peace that didn't involve terror-nuking New York and killing everyone who knew or might find out. The point is that once Ozy got the plan into his head, he ran with it because he was The Boy Who Could Do Anything.

But as you said, when somebody looks at Watchmen and tries to emulate the surface of it, what you get is infighting and despair.

(When somebody looks at Watchmen and tinkers with the core of it, what you get is arguably Astro City.)

What I mean is that there's obviously a primary character interpretation, but the comic is willing to make the characters developed and more nuanced to allow for alternate character interpretations-I always saw Watchman as showing both the evils of extreme pragmatism without considering the cost and how inflexible the opposite, holding to an absolutely strict moral code (as well as how it's not guaranteed that the moral code is Generic Lawful Good Paladin) can be. Rorschach was willing to destroy the world again simply because he was incapable of compromise. Ozymandias killed millions because he was a strict utilitarian, and both of them are broken and horrible in their own ways. Most of the 90s Grymm Darke comics didn't do that-they confused nuance for edginess, the moral ambiguity with "everything should be made 'darker'." It was edginess for edginess's sake, not to make a point.

Which is often the sin of making a work "dark" and leads to "grimdark"-you don't actually have a reason to include this, you're just doing so because the work has to be MORE EDGY which never leads to good places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I actually don't give Harley much credit for her plan in this DLC. How'd she capture Batman? She shot at a guy who was kind of near him and hoped he dived in front of the guy. What would she have done if he pushed the guy aside or thrown a batarang at her gun instead? This wasn't so much a matter of 'Harley doing something very clever' as much as 'Harley doing something obvious and Batman doing something really stupid'.

• Locked thread