Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
I enjoyed this game, but there are little aspects, mostly with the combat, especially having recently played it, that bother me. Sure, by the end of the game I'm pulling off large combos, but that is lessened by the idea that I hadn't so much mastered a difficult system as learned to overcome the system's shortcomings. The story is also weak. Some of the plot points are just great. However, the game also has a good number of mediocre plot points or plot points made mediocre by trying to be grand. Plus, I think the overall progression of the story suffers at some points.

The side quests are another mixed bag. For the most part they are fine. Most are unobtrusive to the main game, and I really like the way the Riddler is handled. As for the bad: the sheer number of Riddler trophies is ridiculous and the timing on some of the quests. Seriously, I think the Riddler realized he had more trophies than necessary and started to get lazy with some of the puzzles.

Discendo Vox posted:

Rocksteady have proven themselves really, really good at building out the conditional logic of their spaces. Just about anywhere you go, at any time, things will be set up and make sense- and often there will be a little extra for the curious player on their second time through. It's one of their major contributions to exploratory design, and part of why their spaces feel a lot more alive than other open world games. (We already had several hard-to-notice hints to future big spoilery events in these first two videos- one of them so subtle I only noticed it my 5th time through the game!)

Rocksteady did do a good job of creating an environment for experienced players and for after-the-fact first time players, but getting around is sometimes a pain. The layout/geography of Arkham City really lends itself to taking the same path over and over and over again while explore parts of the game.

Mr. Highway fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

Now that they've been mentioned in the video, the quickfire gadgets and disarm and destroy technique can be annoying. While playing new game+, some enemies, who we'll not see for some time, gave me a harder time than others. These enemies also seem to have less "priority" when it comes to the disarm and destroy. The same applies to the quickfire batarang. In one combat challenge I tried throwing the batarang at an enemy about to throw a canister but kept hitting the baddie right next to him.

These are minor annoyances, but they sure do disrupt the flow of combat when you run into them.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

For about everything cool in that trailer there was a questionable counterpart. I was excited by the chain takedown in the predator section. It looks like it could be fun and cut down on some of the tedium of those sections but also look like it might make those sections too easy.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Calling it now -- the Arkham Knight in the new Batman is Jason Todd.

I know its a longshot, but I've got my fingers crossed for Jean-Paul Valley.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I have two problems with the Ra's section. One part is that the gliding challenge isn't much of a challenge. The scenery looks nice but there is no interactivity with it. All the player does is fly forward. The other problem is that Ra's's elbows are so bulbous. I swear his elbows are almost as wide as his torso. His arms look like they rubber tubes or something.

• Locked thread