Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So you've captured Bruce Wayne. You know Bruce Wayne is Batman. You know how much of a threat he can pose to your plans. What do you do with this rare opportunity and knowledge?

Apparently Dr. Strange chose to just release him into the general population, assuming he'd play nice under the threat of having his identity revealed. Kinda dumb though. I mean, if you have Batman captured *right there*, without any of his gadgets, it's a rare opportunity to kill him. And if you don't want to kill him, then at the very least strip him of all metallic objects on his possession. Hell, strip and cavity search him and put him in one of the prisoner get-ups, then... I don't know, put him in solitary confinement. Or if you have to release him, if they did that it would have at least taken Bruce an extra ten minutes or so to contact Alfred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

Sure, but Swamp Thing isn't looking sexy as hell in a thong. There's the key.
Now, how female-gazy does the male superhero have to be? Are we talking chippendales or could we scale up to George Clooney Batsuit With Guy-Nipples

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

goatface posted:

Are there any women in the game other than the named villains and rescued medical staff?
Unless you count Catwoman as a villain then she doesn't fit either of these categories.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

This goes back to the idea that he really is being kind by waiting until all his buddies are out cold to interrogate them- not knocking them out afterward would turn out poorly for them once their buddies caught up with them.
I mean, everyone else in the group is probably even worse off. At least one of the guys probably has a shattered femur. A mild concussion is a kindness.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I would pay far more money than necessary for a Riddler's Angels comic.
"Angels! A crime is in progress! To stop the evildoer in time, you must decrypt this rhyme..."

"Edward... have you been taking your medication?"

"... I... I have problems, okay? Just solve the riddle and beat the guy up."

Half the time Riddler would cause more problems for the Angels then the baddie of the day.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Fabricated posted:

The popular Joker going forward for a long time is probably going to be based on Heath Ledger's anarchist Joker; he finds regular old mobsters and criminals really boring, thinks Batman is a loving hoot because he tries to preserve the system while working outside of it, and wants to prove that society is a "joke" to Batman while simultaneously kinda hoping he doesn't break because he finds his steadfastness fascinating and endlessly fun to poke at.
Ledger's Joker was based off some of the best comic versions of Joker, so that's not really a bad thing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

We've been over this. Most people don't listen to or pay attention to things with that level of detail.
Yep, a ton of players might have just ambushed that group of guys before they got too far into that conversation and not paid too much attention to the poster as a result, or maybe only thought it was an easter egg.

I like to think that despite the unholy beating Batman gave Grundy, Grundy still isn't dead and he'll reanimate just as good as he was at the beginning of that fight given a little time and the slightest bit of electricity.

Janderbuilt posted:

So how did that cop get the gel pack over to Freeze like Batman asked him to if the ice had mostly thawed and Batman took the closet raft? Did he shark-surf across? :v:
He swam. Batman straight up knocked the shark out, so it was safe.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Kal-L posted:

Well, he did at least manage to get Jim Gordon, the only honest cop in Gotham, to be police comissioner, and start cleaning up the GCPD. He also helped Harvey Dent, back when he was district attorney, to take on the heads of the Falcone and Maroni crime families.

There was a kinda neat story from Final Crisis, where we see what would've happened if Bruce's parents didn't die: he became a timid surgeon (think Clark Kent), and his rogues gallery did a lot more damage, since the police found it very hard to stop them.
I can't help but think that if there was no Batman... well, there'd probably still be SOME crazy super-psychopaths in Gotham, guys like Zsasz would have existed regardless of Badman. But it probably would have been more of a case of "organized crime run amok" than "supervillains running unchecked", because the personality of Batman kind of attracts the insane personalities of his rogues.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

The really confusing part is that he's said he spent weeks shipping it around. Batman's crashing after like 5 hours of being exposed to the blood - how has this not ALREADY been a known problem?
I can only guess that Joker gave Batman a lot more than you'd get from a normal blood transfusion.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

This is one of the best action-adventure game boss fights of all time in my opinion, and specifically it's the perfect Batman game boss fight. Perfectly executed.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

(Freeze puts the cure and the blood of Ra's in the centrifuge. It opens: it is finished. He opens his mouth to say they have bonded... and then closes it. A plan comes to his mind.) "It appears that it was successful. However, it will take some time for the two components to fully bond. An hour, I would estimate. I will keep an eye on them here. In the meantime, Batman, would you do me a favor?"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I always thought this was Freeze 100% getting Batman back for the thing back at the Museum.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Or is it Sputnik posted:

I agree that the lack of jumping on-points is a problem in comics. However, I think it is a percieved lack of jumping-ons - to an extent. Jumping into comics with the annual sales bonanza, tying-loose-ends beast that is event comics is probably a bad idea.

For example, if Blue Beetle (vol 7) is your first comic, you might be a little confused why, in issue #7, he's on an exploding satellite with Batman, Robin Hood and Leather Swimsuit Biker Woman. Wait, there was another Blue Beetle before him? TWO? Would you better understand if you had read Omac Project and Infinite Crisis? Yes. Is it necessary to enjoy the story? No. Are you likely to be further confused about other things when reading Infinite Crisis? Definitely.

I'll admit that Blue Beetle is easier to get into than Batman. The natural jumping-on in titles that run into the three digits is when a new writer comes on. Even though new issues build on a solid foundation, each "run" is usually selfcontained. Grant Morrison draws heavily on 60's, 70's 80's and 90's Batman comics for his run, but you don't need to read any of that. What you need to know is explained in the comic. If you think El Gaucho, the Batman of Argentina, is cool and want to read more about him, go hog wild and dig up that 50-year old issue!

The problem, again, is the perception of inaccessability. Comics need to make the effort to get people to notice the jumping-on points. Marvel publishes Point One issues that are meant to bring people up to speed. That's good, but the comics community could do more to recommend good books to new readers.
If they were willing to 'clarify' characters for people getting into comics for the first time and still wanted to sell some comics, the suggestion I'd make is to create a sort of "codex" for every character. A list of issues and one-off graphic novels that go over the most important moments in the character's history, comprehensive enough that you'd have a good idea about what their deal is no matter what issue you picked up from that point on, but not so comprehensive that you'd spend months going through every issue they ever appeared in. Ideally the entire codex would be purchasable in the form of a single e-book or something.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The Arkham City environment will, of course, change after the confrontation with the Joker and upon initiation of Protocol 10. That's not really a spoiler. I'm just wondering when, exactly, the point of no return is. Is it literally the boss fight with Joker? Can you have Dr. Strange go "30 minutes until Protocol 10", clean out the Steel Mill including picking up the final gadget, and then go back into the city and do like 5 hours worth of sidequests?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

grandalt posted:

Yah, having a Strange would have been good. As I said before, Strange is crazy, and the city plans for Metropolis and Keystone are crazy. Not just for the fact that the superheros of the cities can easily handle the city; the flash can run up and down walls and Superman, is well, superman. The other issue is their villains. There is no way that Lex would let something like Arkham City be built in his town, and the Rogues have Mirror Master who regularly gets them out of prison through the mirrors. Its only in Gotham that this plan could even hope to work, and as the bad end shows, it wouldn't have.
I dunno, might have worked in Bludhaven and Star City.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Ra's was dead in Arkham Asylum. You can find his corpse in the mortuary, I believe. It vanishes at one point, of course.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

This game has a number of unfortunate implications actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The character in the Incredibles who makes costumes, Edna, her no capes rule is a pretty direct homage to Dollar Bill and Watchmen. It's related to a long laundry list of cape-related deaths, including but not limited to people's capes getting stuck in the turbines of jets.

• Locked thread