Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012

Polaron posted:

Fun note, the Mysterious Watcher's not kidding about his having been keeping an eye on you. If you pan the camera up a bit when Penguin first shows up as the doors to Arkham City open, you can see him watching from a nearby rooftop.

In fact, you can briefly see him briefly in Scruffy's first video. Oh, and another thing - during the fight with the Penguin gang, you can in fact attack and knock him out before he has the chance to hobble to the gate :haw:

rotinaj posted:

They really go hogwild with the damage to the Batsuit by the end of the game.
Indeed, although it's kinda strangely used. But I'll get to that later :)

Anyway, Vicki Vale - why is she blonde? I can kind of understand Alfred having more hair because of Michael Gough and Michael Caine, but Vicki? Surely, one Kim Basinger shouldn't make that much of an impact? :(

Oh, and have you noticed that the Penguin has a speaker implanted in his throat? Because I didn't, not until the Arkham Knight trailer :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

You should really show what the bat swarm combo does to mr hammer the next time he pops up in a challenge room.
If you know how to fight him, he's hardly challenging :)
Just like Scruffy has shown, one only has to jump over him whenever he's winding up for attack, or if there's a thug(s) coming (since countering them leaves you open for hammer hit). Or, you can use bat swarm, since it stuns both thugs and Mr. Hammer and gives you an opportunity to quickly hit him another five times and regain Special Combo ability. His brother is a bit more annoying, since his sickle can hit you even when you're behind him :argh:

I must say, watching other people fight is rather educational. For example,I was having problems with combat challenges, watched some youtube videos, went :aaaaa:, picked some neat tricks, like finally learning how to cancel Aerial Attack into Directed Aerial Assault (which comes in handy when you accidentally try to evade over the enemy you've just stunned :v:).

Scruffy, tell me, do you have PhysX on? 'Cause for me it's pretty much the leading cause for game slowdowns.

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012

The Casualty posted:

Re: rifle calibers, this "10.36x77mm Sniper" cartridge didn't ring any bells to me, but a quick search tells me it's actually very close to .408 CheyTac (which comes in at 10.4x77mm). This is a rare and powerful round developed specifically for the CheyTac Intervention, an extremely accurate sniper rifle (...)
And yet the "sniper rifle" used in Arkham City is a Tavor TAR-21 assault rifle (chambered for the same kind of cartridge as M4 rifle), only with long barrel and scope attached :rolleyes:

Getting back to Batman's costume damage - the weird thing is, all those tears and scratches he's got after being pushed through the window constitute like 90% of the cosmetic damage we're gonna see, even though (obviously) there are still quite a few boss battles remaining. Compared to Arkham Asylum, with its gradual damage accrual, this is rather... disappointing.

Samovar posted:

I never really liked combat sections with Catwoman - mainly because her combat moves are more limited than Batman and I think her combat takedown takes even MORE time than Batman's, which I didn't think was possible.
Catwoman's main combat advantages are quick stun moves (compared to Batman swinging his cape), which comes in handy when stunning the big guys, and quick ground pound finisher. Aside from that, yeah, what Samovar said :)

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
Yes there is. We'll get to that later in this side-mission :)

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
As far as I can tell after doing a bit of googling, some of the concept art for Harley was done by Brandon Badeaux (warning: also contains concept art of one character that haven't appeared yet in this LP), with some pretty exquisite facial studies, but the main work was done by Carlos D'Anda, who was working on Arkham Asylum as well.

So it looks like D'Anda started with dominatrix design, was asked to lose the mask and tone it down a little, which he did, which eventually led to a version with fluffy handcuffs and exposed belly, which was toned down even more in finalized design.

(it's kinda weird that notes on those concept drawings kept referring to "original Rocksteady design". I mean, aren't they Rocksteady? Shouldn't it say "out original design"?)

Kazeite fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 12, 2014

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
Going briefly back to the clothing problem, to be (slightly) fair, Joker's thugs are dressed just as light as Harley is - they usually wear just pants and tank top, unlike Penguin's thugs, who usually wear actual winter jackets! :)

(Also, as far as I recall, the highest temperature in the city is only 2 degrees C)

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
What's puzzling is why exactly is this killer bothering with bandaging his victim's faces after cutting them off? I mean, he has their faces, they are dead, so?..

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
Batman's face looks... weird in this trailer. It's like he's... bloated or something.

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
Going back to LP, the Museum area is the first time when Batman starts to show signs of sickness - you can see some veins on his face now.

And of course, that ninja girl inside display case isn't dressed for the weather too. Apparently protection from elements is part of the training :rolleyes:

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
So I wonder how exactly Batman can jam assault rifles? There shouldn't be any electronic equipment inside them, unless...

"ID-tagged soldiers carry ID-tagged weapons, use ID-tagged gear." :D

Or, all weapons provided by Strange do indeed have safety switches like that, in case they get used against him :)

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
So... was Wonder City built in a crater or something? Because Gotham proper seems to be located at sea level.

Also, the second part of Ace Chemicals Infiltration Trailer has been released.

... I must say, the more I look at Batmobile blowing up those tanks, the more... wrong it feels to me. It's like this Batmobile was built specifically to fight those things (which it kinda did, from certain point of view :)), but Batman had no way of knowing he's gonna need such heavily armed vehicle - he's good, but not that good.

Unless he has like a whole lineup of increasingly more powerful Batmobiles, and this one is just one step away from Bat-tank from Dark Knight Returns :rolleyes:

My point is, rolling around blowing things up doesn't feel like something that should be in Batman game. An exciting chase, sure. Riddler challenge, why not? But those sections are straight from Call of Warfare: Modern Duty :v:

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012

Fabricated posted:

not sure why people are annoyed at the batmobile having guns when it has had guns and missiles and other poo poo in almost all of the movies and frequently elsewhere it has appeared
Yes, but in the movies 1. Batman actually kills people, and 2. it's more subdued, so it's not that jarring.

quote:

arkham knight features the batmobile prominently, they need poo poo for you to do in it, drones and unmanned vehicles are a big deal right now in popular media/culture/politics so hey blow up some robotanks and poo poo with it. That's it who cares
I do! And my opinion matters! I'm on the internet, you know! :colbert:

But seriously, like I said, all things considered, I can kinda see Batman having Urban Warfare Batmobile prepared just in case - it's just, compared to the previous games, it's seems a little out of place. That's it.

Now, Talia. I suppose they gave her this outfit because her default getup looks like she stole it from the Catwoman :) But still, yeah, I agree - it's pretty bad.

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
Please do the side stuff first - especially try to destroy all the cameras beforehand :)

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
Amusingly enough, as I have discovered, you can do Riddler combat challenges while inside Demon Blood induced hallucination :v:

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
^-- What they said :)

But I'm sure we can pick the plot apart further when the LP is done :)

Anyway, you've probably noticed that Batman's cape has some new gashes now - in fact, at 8:23 mark the game has switched into second set of damaged suit textures, with couple of more holes and lots of dirt all around - Batman's face has also some gashes and blood on it. Strangely enough, the preceding cutscene still uses previous set, without bloody face and dirt, even though he should already have them :)

Moving on - "Dini Towers" are, of course, the reference to Paul Dini, the creative force behind animated Batman (and first two Arkham games as well :) )

Also, at 14:50 Batman uses the line launcher to save Vicki, just like in the first Batman movie :D

Did you also noticed phantom blimp popping up out of nowehere at 16:03? :ninja:

dscruffy1 posted:

The plan is to do Arkham Origins but I've got an international move coming up in February. I will be separated from my PC during that time frame until probably March or April. It's coming! I just don't know when.
Oh, hey, that means you can go straight to Arkham Knight after you're done with Origins :D

Kazeite fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 11, 2014

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
Yay! :dance:

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

I have to say it would be really cool if more thugs - like, last thug in ~10% of encounters maybe? - did what the first Riddler informant did; "Oh god I'm so screwed I give up please don't break my face Batman".
One of the few ways Arkham Origins have improved upon City is having the last thug in the encounter indicate that by a unique quote. Of course, he would still fight to the bitter end, but... yeah, it's a small thing :)

Oh, yeah, and Batman: Vengeance had a system where you had to cuff all defeated thugs - otherwise they'd just go back up in few minutes and attack you again like nothing happened :v: Running around the level, scrounging for batt-cuffs was... annoying. :sigh:

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
2:00 - aren't you supposed to run over those pads, instead of just walking over them, one at the time?

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
I... didn't know that you can go Solid Snake on that competent thug with the sniper rifle :monocle:

Now, this is one of the reasons I watch LPs - I can usually learn something new, even about a game I've finished couple of times already :)

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

If anyone has taken advantage of the $10 batman bundle, I see it includes the season pass for Origins. Does anyone know if that does include the Freeze DLC? If it does I may take advantage, otherwise... I got all of it already, so meh.

Yes, yes it does. That's how I got mine.

So, the last time we saw Catwoman it was... 8 hours to Protocol 10 commencement. Right now it's, like, 10 minutes left? So Catwoman spent 8 hours dangling from Ivy's... ivy? :)

Also, couldn't Batman really free himself from that debris? He had one hand free, and it didn't look Catwoman helped him that much. To quote a certain nitpicker, "the rubble was exactly heavy enough to pin Batman without killing him, it was too heavy for his arm / bat-hook, but was light enough that the two of them could lift it together. That is a very specific amount of heavy" :)

Kazeite fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 17, 2014

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
No, no, you're missing the point of Strange's plan: as far as Gotham City Council is concerned, he didn't lose control of Arkham City - even though the inmates have managed to arm themselves, he had a protocol for just the occasion, thus preventing them for spilling into city proper. And I'm sure he could've spinned the inadequate security measures (which led to inmates having weapons in the first place) as Sharp/Penguin's fault. The prison cities at Metropolis and Keystone would be much better protected, you see :v:

Oh, and you've missed something, Scruffy: during Protocol 10, there's a group of thugs inside sewers hiding from the helicopters that you can talk to :)

Have you noticed that Gotham City has not one, not two, but three lighthouses? One is located on the Arkham Island, and the other two are south of the Wonder Tower, one the other side of the river, surrounded by tall buildings (and, as Wonder Tower plaque shows, that was the case even when Gotham City didn't had all those skyscrapers around).

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What about all of the innocent people that disagreed with him and just conveniently happened to be nuked on the exact same night that Protocol 10 needed to be executed?
Ah, but you see, nobody knew they were sent to Arkham City, and identifying all those bodies dug out from under the rubble is going to be rather problematic :smug:

In the meantime, holy crap, did you know that Bruce Wayne is Batman and therefore Strange was completely justified in "temporarily" detaining him? I mean, it's Batman's fault things were so bad Arkham City had to be built, amirite? :D

The point is, I can almost see Strange's crazy, crazy plan working in the Arkhamverse :)

... Something just occurred to me - obviously, at this point, Joker already knows where Lazarus Pit is. So, why not take a dip right now? It can't possibly make things worse for him at this point, right?

Now, Lex vs Strange... Again, I can almost see him agreeing to to cooperate (after all, it would permanently get rid of any undesirables in Metropolis), on the condition that Superman should end up there as well, obviously. Oh! Strange can deduce Superman's identity too, right? He could've used that as a bargaining chip (not that Lex would ever believe that Superman is Clark Kent, but that's beside the point :) )

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
Oh yes. Yes it is :eng99:

Hyper aware fast guards make for a miserable experience :emo:

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
So, the clues:

The Steel Mill conversation, the “Oh Mister J! You’re all better. Oh wait. That’s not you, is it?”

The "fake Joker gag".

The photocopy of Joker card in the safe.

The conversation between thugs in the elevator: one says that "Jimmy" saw Joker going heading out, and then the other says he's in the Funhouse (which doesn't really make sense - when you get to the Funhouse for the “Joker looking in a mirror” gag).

The Joker fight, where you can see he has no bones.

So, again, why didn't Joker take the dip as soon as he knew where the Lazarus Pit is? It's not like he had anything to lose at this point...

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

If Joker knows that the Pit is below the Theater, it's not clear he has a way to get there.
A copious amount of explosives? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012

dscruffy1 posted:

DLC Combat Challenge:Joker's Carnival/Polsy with Catwoman

This challenge map was tough to get into, took me about an hour to get this run from having never done it before. Discendo Vox thought he'd be clever and challenge me to do it with Catwoman, so I recorded this maybe a little after I started the LP.
There's a trick to this map, actually (which doctor hate! :D) - the bank actually has 8 levels. If you run the whole gauntlet without cashing in, right after defeating Titan thug you'll be rewarded with a million points and about three minutes of extra time, after which bank resets and you can run the whole gauntlet again, if you're feeling masochistic today :)

Me, I just spent that three extra minutes beating thugs without going above lv3 and without moving the camera too much (so the game doesn't get the chance to remove bodies), so every defeated thugs ends up on the growing pile of bodies :D

• Locked thread