Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Origins has a pretty good story. It redeems Bane a fair bit from the Asylum entry too, and the new enemy types give a little extra challenge to the combat system. It's not really bad per se, it just lacks anything that you could call sequel-worthy. It's basically a 60 dollar DLC pack.
That's actually one problem I had with Origins: it has way too loving much Bane. In a game where there much more interesting antagonists to explore Riddler before he went Riddler, Black Mask, Anarky, loving Firefly and it's all based on the two characters everyone knows from the prequels. Mind you, I don't really know anything about the comicsverse but by the end of AO I was thoroughly and decidedly sick of Joker and Bane and just wished they'd involve some other characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

Arkham Origins was just more of the same which I was pretty cool with.

The coding was a big buggy mess though, I don't know if consoles had this, but at release the pc version literally had a fairly major sidequest that was incapable of completion without abusing a bug to launch batman into the stratosphere.

Dunno about that one, but bouncing off the air while gliding happens fairly frequently. Also doors that refuse to open while they should.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't there a TAS episode where the punchline basically was that she got closer to offing Batman than Joker ever did - on her own?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Gotta admit, she got me fooled in City, I thought it was still her. Unlike some voiceswaps coughtoriginscough that one was fairly subtle.
Anyway, I don't really like Harley in the games compared to the TAS (which I - coincidentally - downloaded and watched as a result of the previous LP) where she was one of the most enjoyable characters. I think she got hit by the transition towards grimdark style and more mature audience the most - in the show she's actinbg whimsical and carefree which works as a perfect contrast to her actual situation (making the fact she's the only one who doesn't realize it that muc sadder), but here she's delegated to being a Joker#2. With boobs. And being annoying instead of funny.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It looks like he needs a fist firmly planted inside that smug face. No offence to sexy batman apologists, but anime pretty boy doesn't really seem to be a good style change.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
We should really start running a Steve Blum Thug count.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Style issues (and there's plenty of those) aside, what I hated most about Catwoman was her climbing mechanic. At the start it feels kind of neat but it gets old unbelievably fast.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Funny thing about the first Riddler riddle: you say he's softballing it, but it's the one I had the most trouble with. An instrument where music comes from the heart? We're in a church? WHY ISN'T IT THE loving BELL?!

edit: Nevermind, apparently it's a language thing and it's called clapper in English. Silly me.
Still, the absence of riddles is in my opinion the biggest fuckup Origins commits.

VVV Yeah, I get that. It's just that in my language that part inside of the bell is literally called the heart. But hey, Riddler is educational.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 14, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Harvey Bullock is the best TAS character and I won't hear otherwise.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It is according to the OP. It isn't very good, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

You can use the shockwave on the test of strength towers?! That... would have saved me an awful lot of time.
I thought you can't do them without it?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gothsheep posted:

You do use the vantage points in predator rooms an awful lot. Which is understandable because they're super-useful, but it might be nice to see you do some of the predator challenges while making more use of the other stealth options. I always liked to do that, since the rooms become a lot more tense when you're using the grates, vents and terrain to hide you instead of just swinging around in the rafters from pounce to pounce.
He'll have to. There's one Predator room in particular that only really allows you to use vantage point for escaping.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Now that's what I call a killer font.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, comic book Batman has been known to utilize cakes in the past. In pretty much the described fashion, if I remember those advertisements correctly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing so. He hasn't even got any dialogue so far as I can tell.

Thugs do get different dialogue in Predator sections though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It just feels really unpolished. It's still a buggy mess, the city is flat and boring compared to AC - hell, you can't even reach most of the high places you see - and there are no loving riddles.
edit: VVV Not even Batman bouncing off thin air while gliding? I've got the fully patched Steam version and still keep running into that.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 24, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I like the look of the environment, there finally seem to be some tall buildings again. Kinda nonplussed with the car fighting and a big "what the gently caress" at the final little bit about pre-order DLC.
edit: VVV Well, his moveset is in the game for story reasons.
edit2: Oh, Asylum? Didn't know that.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 24, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Right, so how about that psychological warfare? Bats are cute, fuzzy and completely harmless little things. They got a lot of bad rep in the middle ages but I was always a bit surprised when I found out that Batman (whom I really only knew from the Clooney movies) is usually portrayed as seriously intimidating, and even that I attributed it to the "man" part.
In short - why bats? And yeah, I know there's an origin story somewhere in there, but I mean from an author/reader's perspective.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

If a bat flies into your bedroom in the middle of the night, cute is not the word you'll use to describe the nigh-invisible screaming furball flying around somewhere above your head. (Seriously, I thought bats are supposed to be mostly silent, at least in human-audible frequencies, but that jerk was loud as gently caress)
Well, we had bats in the house where I grew up and this did happen to me. It's scary until you figure it out and catch it, I guess. I know I got to pet a couple of bats that wondered in like this when I was a kid, that probably skews my view.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Combat mechanics, area design, sidequests and level-up systems are worse than AC. It's a decent game, just not as good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

WendyO posted:

Maybe I just like westerns, but this was always my favorite.

http://youtu.be/1819yLFaAZ8
Sorry Bats, the guy with the guntar is my new hero. For someone like me who has basically no idea of the whole combic book culture, it's amazing to see the degree of silliness present.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 1, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Fairly sure it's possible to do the electrified floor room just by repeatedly changing direction in mid-air thanks to Batman's gravity-defying magick. Might take some damage at the end, but I remember doing it without the upgrade.
And yes, Talia's outfit is horrible.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

mikemil828 posted:

No, he really is that good, being prepared for any situation is for all intents and purposes his superpower. You are talking about a guy who has shark, barracuda, whale, and manta ray repellant sprays in the cabin of his batcopter, just in case.
I have no idea whether this is canon or what but... aren't manta rays completely harmless?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Judge Tesla posted:

Steve Irwin might beg to differ over that.
And he'd be wrong, seeing as he got offed by a stingray. They're poisonous, mantas aren't.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I liked Mad Stan. Wish he got his own show.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

How did the Riddler figure out how to set up all those perspective puzzles? It's best not to question how the gently caress Riddler gets his poo poo done.

Well, he is a genius, his spatial imagination could be off the charts. Or it's remote drones. You can always bet on remote drones, it's like the nanomachines of our era.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened yet. One would think that 60+ years of Batman would try everything once.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Plus he didn't exactly execute them. That, coincidentally, is something that's not going to happen because comics have a very recycling-friendly policy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
lovely recording equipment. He blew his budget on trophies and notenigma replicas.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The idea of a predator bossfight is great and executed perfectly here. Now if you want an example of this done wrong, look no further than AO's final battle. Repetitive and stupid.
Guess what I'm trying to say is that this fight really only works because of all the amazing ways you can interact with the environment in this game - and all the environmental toys they give you. Predator sections are honestly the most fun part of the Batgames for me.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this is where the game gets rushed. Reused environment doesn't get either, but you're pretty much on rails from the moment you enter the steel mill for the second time. It's a good sequence and there definitely arguments for doing it that way but I feel the pacing could use a little work and maybe another level.
Also, I hate the raft sections. They're slow, frustrating and there's just so many loving secrets hidden in them in both this and AO. On the brighter side, the freeze grenade is just about the best combat gadget in the game, instant tie-up on anything. Among other things, it makes moving around the city at the later stages when there's gunmen on every single loving rooftop much, much easier.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I feel this story would make it into a batman comic at some point anyway. It feels good enough for comic books.
From what I'm reading in this thread, the criterion seems to be "silly enough".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so the point where you deal with Ras? Storywise, the game should've ended right there. Don't get me wrong, the upcoming bossfight is pretty drat great, but Joker just feels so shoehorned in here, even with the cure plotline. He just politely waits until you're done saving the city and then pops up for a final showdown. I think they just had this idea that the game simply has to end with Joker since he's Joker, right?
Well gently caress that.
Not sure how many other players/batfans/whatnot feel the same but there's way too much Joker in the first two games. At this point, he's just boring. He's been given too much time in the spotlight, you're not expecting anything (I know it's kind of the point, I played the game. Doesn't change the fact this feels stupid as hell.), you just foiled a supervillain and look, it's the clown again.
Of course, then the third game does exactly the same thing with Bane. And that's even more of a shame because it's got a great villain gallery, they just choose to run with the least interesting ones.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Actually, while he is making it look remarkably easy, that last arena on top of Wonder tower is a massive pain in the rear end to clear, especially on an challenge extreme run.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, it definitely requires some amazing suspension of disbelief. I mean, as a non-comically groomed person, my first interpretation of that would be that that Luthor fellow isn't all that he's cracked up to be.

edit: VVV I really don't see how that proves anything about his personal qualities. I guess what I'm trying to say that superheroes are less super and more abusing their respective worlds' idiocy. It's less "that Superman/Batman/whateverman is great" and more "that Luthor/Joker/baddymcmurder#238 is a complete twat and the authors are just inefficiently trying to convince me otherwise".

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 20, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Prime example of the stupidity I keep talking about: Joker chooses to stab batman right in the arm holding the cure.
Not hard to be the world's greatest detective when your opposition is this.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Because there's no way she can have anything bigger than a kevlar bra in that outfit.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

thetrueoskar posted:

I also got the $10 Batman Bundle, despite the fact that I really have no idea what a "Season Pass" even is, or does?
Steamese for All DLC, I believe.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, it could've been "Fuggit".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer