Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 06:37 on Nov 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You couldn't have told me this five minutes ago? :argh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

They also give the source for the figures as being their opinions. They literally say that they just made them up on the spot.

It says "Opinions Dynamic" and it's a polling company. "Results from Fox News polls before February 2011 were conducted by Opinion Dynamics Corp"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Mail Online is apparently the most popular new website in America. I can't believe it either.

I imagine it's because of all the celebrity photos they get.

I assume it's because no one's heard of the NT News.

Historic piece of furniture used by world’s first dick joke correspondent for sale.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

syscall girl posted:

I keep seeing the name 'Maisie' come up as names of kids or cats in the UK and can't help but think that's a Game of Thrones thing.

It's just a normal name though. :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I went to school with a Wayne Kerr.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Quebec girl told to stop reading book by school bus driver

quote:

An eight-year-old girl in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que. was told she's no longer allowed to read books on the school bus because it poses a risk to the safety of other students. The bus driver suggested they might stand up to see what she was reading, or she might poke herself in the eye with the corners of the book.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Croccers posted:

Where does Pall Mall cigarettes come into this? Most of the time it's pronounced Paul Maul I've found. Get a few people saying Pal Mal.
The best ones though is when I get feralbogans asking for JBS :sigh: It can't just be a northern suburb thing right?

Bendigo, Victoria has a Pall Mall and a Hargreaves Mall, and an annoyingly large number of people pronounce them both "Mell".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pogues frontman fractures pelvis after 'complicated dance move'

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

They weren't saying it would be 100% effective in every case though, they were saying that you don't need to program the car to choose whose life is more important or whatever, you just have it do the thing that is statistically most likely to avoid deaths/injuries. The article being discussed was bout the moral dilemma of creating intelligent cars because they might have to choose whether to swerve left and hit a child or swerve right and hit the mother, but in reality it would do neither of those things because that's dumb.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

Sure, but the moral dilemma lies in the fact that people want to create self-driving cars and give them the agency to decide who lives and dies, which seems like a bad plan

You can't give a self-driving car agency to decide anything, it's a machine, it will do what it's programmed to do, which is come to a stop as rapidly as it can in whatever conditions it finds itself. It can't choose to drive onto the footpath because it can't choose anything. If something appears in front of a self-driving car it will attempt to stop to avoid or minimise damage and injury, because statistically that is the safest course of action.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

rock rock posted:

From the Timaru Herald, a small New Zealand newspaper, I present the best thing I have ever read in a newspaper.

"New Race Relations Commissioner not afraid to call a spade a spade."

I don't get it. :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/heraldsunreader/status/687138852171956224

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Regardless of your position on hot dogs or open‐faced sandwiches, I think everyone can agree that burritos are not sandwiches.

Wrong. They're food in bread, therefore sandwiches.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

I love how back in olden times, they though something could frighten you unexpectedly and you'd be driven irrevocably mad on the spot.

Or pass out or die. And it could be really minor things, too. Like, you think someone's gone home but they missed their train and so when you see them you just fall down unconscious, because how could they be here now?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

The NT News is ridiculously self-aware, they actually sell a coffee table book of their best headlines.

They used to have a great social media person/team too, but at some point they switched to very generic clickbait-style headlines on FB and Twitter.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

I forget are there male sheep, or are they just rams. Because they might be playing the name game and mean only female variants of the animals and not rams and bulls, thus excluding women from the loving.

Female sheep are ewes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

Nearly half of British women cannot identify the vagina

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/health/female-anatomy-identify-vagina-vulva-eve-appeal/

Might be :nws: if your work gets mad at diagrams of the body.

Only 7/10 women could correctly identify the penis, testes and foreskin? There's got to be some pretty major methodological flaws in this survey.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That age range is pretty weird. Being a virgin at 18's a lot different to 34.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

The whole point is to experience both at the same time, right?

No, the point is to have some weird novelty food.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Afaict it's an Australian football league show?

It clearly says NRL on the screen. :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

For the that to mean that Mandela was an 800-year-old dildo collector you'd have to remove the word "a".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3515202/Man-reported-police-Sweden-doing-revenge-fart-woman-denied-sex.html
Man is reported to police in Sweden for doing a 'revenge fart' after woman denied him sex
That's some real quality writing there.

quote:

disturbed her piece of mind

farting in revenge to being denied sexual intercourse

This disappointed the man who farted - and left the flat

I could pretty much copy out any sentence at random and find six things wrong with it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

No it isn't, it's from an anti-metal Satanism scare movie who's name escapes me

You should still watch season one of Danger 5 though. Season two's not nearly as good though so you can skip that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

It's funnier with sound
I disagree. I thought it was funnier when I imagined that the interview was just going on with no acknowledgement of the distractions at all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Except the sentence would still be awkward and difficult to parse even with the extra comma?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

dumb. posted:

Good thing they're on our side... for now.

In man's perpetual war against the insect world, his staunchest allies are the spiders!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

Many people find that breastfeeding is rough on the nipples, astonishing though that may sound. This looks like a reasonable representation from what I've seen in friends.

Why are your friends showing you their nipples?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

How does "swap bodies with a stranger" work?
Yeah, I really want to know more about this.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I find the use of quotation marks on "cop" intriguing. What's the thinking behind that? Don't want to seem uncool by using too-formal a term, but don't want to seem too casual by not signposting it as slang? Or is it literally a quotation? Did a witness tell them that a "cop" helped and they felt compelled to report their use of slang accurately?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cracked: 5 Newspaper Articles From History You'll Swear I'm Making Up

Cracked.com posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

Millennials are ruining everything.

Oh no! I like marmalade. :(

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

Vanilla is literally what it is.

It doesn't taste particularly like anything and it goes with everything.
Vanilla tastes like vanilla. If you think it doesn't taste of anything and goes with everything, try it on a hotdog. Put it in some mashed potatoes. Have some vanilla ice-cream with gravy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

Is intersectionality like a points system or what? How do I decide if I am more or less oppressed than someone else? What's my allowable trigger threshold? What if I "pass"? Do I still get to claim minority status?
Is there a pamphlet or something I can read?

Is "some people are more oppressed than others" really such a difficult concept?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Solution, British homeless people should eat anyone with Sir/Lady in front of their name. Slaughter them humanely using guillotines.
Why leave out the Lords and Dames?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Now I wast Eminem to challenge Kid Rock to a rap battle. It's pretty clear who would win.

I want them both to become senators first and then do it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I find myself wondering why nobody thought to ask Eric if he knew what a gazebo was, especially after "I call out to it".
Because that's not an exact transcript of a real conversation. When people recount stories they embellish for humorous effect. :ssh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The suspect told police ‘give me a lawyer dog.’ The court says he wasn’t asking for a lawyer.

Tom Jackman posted:

when a suspect in an interrogation told detectives to “just give me a lawyer dog,” the Louisiana Supreme Court ruled that the suspect was, in fact, asking for a “lawyer dog,” and not invoking his constitutional right to counsel.

Orleans Parish Assistant District Attorney Kyle Daly responded in his brief that Demesme’s “reference to a lawyer did not constitute an unambiguous invocation of his right to counsel, because the defendant communicated that whether he actually wanted a lawyer was dependent on the subjective beliefs of the officers.” Daly added, “A reasonable officer under the circumstances would have understood, as [the detectives] did, that the defendant only might be invoking his right to counsel.”

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Long Island Iced Tea Corp’s Shares Skyrocket After Renaming Itself ‘Long Blockchain Corp’

quote:

Beverage maker Long Island Iced Tea Corp’s <LTEA.O> shares jumped 300 percent after the company said it would rebrand itself Long Blockchain Corp [and] was shifting its primary business strategy to blockchain technology and was in the preliminary stages of evaluating specific opportunities to grow that business.

The company said it would still continue to operate its beverage business, under which it sells Long Island iced tea and Long Island lemonade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/VictoriaPolice/status/949149370833760256