Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Man breaks tooth on over-crisped rasher, sues

quote:

A MAN who broke a tooth after he ate a rasher he described as being “hard like a brick” from a Swords restaurant has been awarded €4,250 at a civil sitting of Swords District Court.

Judge Patricia McNamara said she was satisfied to find for the plaintiff, Shane McQuillan (32), as there was no proof in court from the restaurant that the food had been changed every 90 minutes.

However, she said Mr McQuillan was “guilty of contributory negligence” as he “should have been careful of a crispy rasher rind”. She initially awarded €6,500 in general damages and €2,500 in special damages.

But, as she held McQuillan 50pc guilty of contributory negligence, she halved the damages to €4,250 and ordered the defendant pay his legal costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Das Boo posted:

I saw the word "rasher" and without ever having heard it before or even knowing what it was, I knew it must be British.

Wrong!

Irish actually - Swords is in north county Dublin, but to be fair, we do use a lot of the same food terminology as they do over there.

Choco1980 posted:

I've heard the UK keeps the bones in the bacon. Confirm/Deny?

I'm only familiar with irish rashers and I'd cautiously deny this - you might occasionally come across a hard bit but it wouldn't be a regular thing.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 11:51 on Aug 2, 2015

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

When I was a kid, giving someone a "rasher" was a common school prank - you used a swift swipe of steel ruler to "slice" a rasher off their arse, all done while shouting "Rasher!"

Fun times.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Irish jockey kicked in face by horse then run over by ambulance

quote:

Crossgar man Chris, whose father teaches paramedics how to drive ambulances, was in Italy for a hurdle race when the animal kicked him.

"The starter came over to help me because I was on my back and choking on my blood," he explained.

"He put me in the recovery position, with my right leg out straight.

"As if (my injuries) weren't bad enough, the racecourse ambulance came up alongside us and reversed up onto my leg.

"They stopped it on top of my leg, so I started screaming, but it broke it straight away.

"Everyone around me had to push it off me. You have to laugh, really."

Ow.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

http://www.independent.ie/weather/pictures-ireland-wakes-up-to-a-stunning-sunrise-35003364.html

TL/DR, the sun came up this morning.

(to be fair,it was a very pretty sunrise)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

The Troika are taking over our skies!!!!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

He was obviously in training for the World Bog Snorkelling Championships

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/anger-after-holy-well-tree-is-stripped-of-hundreds-of-prayer-rags-35347209.html

Hopefully the rag thief woke up on New Year's Day completely covered with warts.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Shikantaza posted:

RSPCA warns of false alarms after call to catch cuddly toy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38633548

eek snek

quote:

A welfare officer was called to help a collapsed horse but instead found only a pile of hay.

Glorious.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

On the homepage of a national paper here, not hidden away in the regionals, I love this island :allears:

quote:

Alfie Greenaway said he had to stand back and look twice before believing what was before him.
He took this photo on Saturday morning on the way to work and posted it to his Facebook page where it sparked disbelief.
"This section of the road looks complete and is open. It's strange that they left the lamp post in the middle of the footpath," he said.
"I take my grandkids for a walk here, and if holding one in each hand, will have to move onto the cycle path to get around it. If cyclists are coming then we could have total gridlock."

Chaos reigns

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/lamp-post-installed-in-middle-of-footpath-sparks-outrage-among-locals-its-ludicrous-35629065.html

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Murphys Law posted:

Oh my god! He really WAS a prince! Why did I ignore him?

All these years that poor Nigerian Doctor Judge Prince has been trying desperately to get the money out of the country but everyone either ignored his pleas or gave up before the big payoff.

:saddowns:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Prêt à manger!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

He may not be kosher, but at least sausage roll Jesus is circumcised.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Quote-Unquote posted:

No that's the one where Bruce Campbell is the devil and he just wants to have a normal looking baby with a human, so he has sex with a whole bunch of women but all the foetuses start developing horns so he causes them to miscarry.

There are two episodes about people loving with IVF clinics: 'Eve' (where one IVF doctor was using her eggs for everything) and 'Small Potatoes', where a janitor at an IVF clinic who cold take the appearance of anyone was tricking patients into having sex with him. He used to have a tail, and all the babies are born with tails too.

Now that I write this out, I realise that X-Files is pretty drat rapey

edit: there's also the episode 'The Great Mutato' where a deformed mutant guy that loves Cher goes round town drugging and raping women and then Mulder and Scully take him to see Cher in concert as a reward or something.
'Home' is the episode with the inbred hillbilly family that all have sex with their quadriplegic mother and all their sperm combines to make super deformed babies that they kill and bury in the yard. Jesus Christ...

And the guy who played the tailed- IVF Clinic janitor was Darin Morgan, who also played the Flukeman, and wrote some really good X-Files episodes, like Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Two charged after eyeballs thrown onto pitch during match with one-eyed former Dundalk player

And I though this was supposed to be a Foot ball match!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

jojoinnit posted:

It's like the complete opposite of any American politician, drat.

He's just managed to engineer an escape from a government that absolutely has to produce some kind of Brexit deal in the very near future.

He was probably ready to resign if the canteen ran out of teabags.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

spog posted:

I am reasonably confident that 'if you tamper with the card that we own and are lending to you, we will make it invalid' isn't a particularly unusual legal precedent.

Yeah, If I stuck a USB flashdrive up my cat's arse, I haven't invented a cybercat

Too late.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Nine arrested after Dublin Lidl store is looted before thugs rip off its roof with a digger during Storm Emma wipeout

For context, it snowed heavily in Ireland about 3 days ago and because it was so bad, the majority of shops didn't open for ONE DAY.

So of course, occasional looting ensued.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 11:00 on Mar 3, 2018

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Phlegmish posted:

Isn't that every Sunday anyway

No, most shops open on Sundays here, we aren't Presbyterians you know.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

fizzymercy posted:

Nonono. That's straight up nightmare fuel for everyone else, right? I have some severe automatonophobia that I literally had to have therapy for, but come on. HE IS SCREAMING FIRE.

To be fair, when Big Tex went up in flames I had a freakout over a photo of it.

BIG TEX. Sleep tight, the giant pointless moving fire hazards need more souls for their flames.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Randaconda posted:

don't kinkshame

Is that Sarah Jessica Parker?

Sex and the City got really weird, huh.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I simply cannot see that as anything but a single shattered glass panel hanging from a free-standing L-shaped support and surrounded on all four sides by a tape barrier.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Man swinging dead cat over his head at 1am was on his way to see councillor

quote:

A 56-YEAR-OLD man seen swinging a dead cat above his head at 1am in the morning told gardai - when confronted - that he was on his way to see a local councillor about the animal, a court has heard.

Brendan Casey of Caltragh Crescent, Sligo was summoned for being intoxicated, failing to give his name and with urinating in public at Stephen Street Car Park on November 26th 2017. Inspector Donal Sweeney outlined how Gardaí received a report of a man swinging a dead cat above his head at 1.15am.

The Gardaí couldn’t tell how the cat died, the Inspector told Judge Kevin Kilrane.

Casey told the court he found the cat dead at West Gardens in the town and believed it to be a health and safety issue.

“I was bringing it down to Blind Tiger to a councillor there and to ask him what’s to be done about this,” he said.

He added that he had also come across another dead cat at Mail Coach Road some time previously.

The defendant then asked the court what had happened to the fellow who picked the cat up and “threw it in the river.” He wondered why he wasn’t in court.

Why indeed

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

They can have some for a 'small' fee

fi

fo

fum

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Boris Johnson is a career 'Interesting Person I met at Dinner' - he's a collection of outrageous anecdotes wreathed in cigar smoke and brandy fumes.

There is no actual substance to him whatsoever.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

"“We believe the sheep was uninjured and left the area unaided,” the team said."

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Milo and POTUS posted:

From Method Acting to Method Living: The Kevin Spacey Story

Beautiful.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bude supermarket tunnel tops TripAdvisor ratings at Cornish seaside resort

quote:

The 70-metre long structure has attracted 149 "excellent" reviews describing it as the town's "crowning jewel" and "a modern Taj Mahal" that warrants a place as one of the seven wonders of the world.

Other visitors have praised its "handcrafted Cornish Perspex", its panoramic views, and its proximity to shops, parking and a cash machine.

"On visiting Bude this summer we must have picked the only rainy day so we popped in to the supermarket picked up some pasties got our holding chairs out of the car and set up a picnic in the tunnel and at one point the sun came out and created a wonderful rainbow though the roof," said one reviewer who gave it the top rating.

It has even been described as a "great place for a divorce" by a user known only as Anne, who wrote: "The walk back through the elongated tunnel felt like the first step towards freedom from Steven and his massive collection of recorders."

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That's delightful! :neckbeard:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

'Let's be 'avin' you' is a thing that old-fashioned English police are supposed to have said to ne'er-do-wells, scofflaws and other shady characters -It means something like, 'stop what you're doing and come out of there'. It's the same sort of vintage as 'allo, 'allo, 'allo!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I have several questions.

I want to see what happens when you do that face illusion thing with these guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT9i99D_9gI

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/oct/24/blackpool-police-hunt-suspect-who-looks-like-ross-from-friends

I'd say he was stealing those cans to share with his

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Say Nothing posted:

I'm wondering if this is viral marketing for something, because this looks exactly like David Schwimmer.

Now I like David Schwimmer (was neutral before).

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

pidan posted:

The same thing happens in Europe and probably in large US cities too.

Chinese people love imported milk powder

Same here in Ireland; you're only allowed buy a fixed number of cans at a time to prevent shelves being left empty. At the same time I 100% understand why chinese parents want to ship in outside products - the very idea of your child starving to death because the loving babyfood is really ground up plastic is almost too nightmarish to comprehend.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...r-37588997.html

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Tiggum posted:

Was this written by a computer or something?

Well, they did fire all the copy editors and instead started asking readers to submit corrections in the comments section!

As to the teleporter-crow banger story, apparently the dead guy had the noisemaker set up in a shed on his land, which made it even louder that it normally would be, and had it set to go off every 4.6 minutes all day. The neighbour says he was driven berserk and just beamed him all the way up to heaven.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Good?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

quote:

Minutes before his death Cognito had made a joke about having a stroke. He then sat down and lay back in a chair, bringing a chorus of laughter.
Five minutes later, a staff member went on stage to find that the comic was not breathing.

Now that is commitment to the joke.

https://www.independent.ie/entertai...e-38011579.html

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Grim

Grin :skeltal:

But seriously, how do you accidentally recycle a skeleton? It's not like a dump where you could be throwing boxes away without always checking inside, you're supposed to be sorting your recyclables, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gerry-the-monk-hutchs-older-brother-fighting-for-his-life-after-horror-fall-down-stairs-38320578.html

Knowing the indo, I'm just surprised they didn't call it a 'Horror Plunge ' or Shock Stairs Smash'