Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Slime posted:

I know a kid named Charlie Brown, the poor bastard.

As long as he doesn't play football in school he should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

trapped mouse posted:

So today I learned that "gently caress her right in the pussy" was completely made up by one dude who created a series of hoax news bloopers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuck_her_right_in_the_pussy

This is a sad day

drat it. :negative:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unfortunately Birdemic 2 is intentionally bad to play on the "success" of the first so it is nowhere near as good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

If you have somehow not watched Birdemic in 2015, please do so. I know this has nothing to do with weird news headlines, but it's important.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I mean, they're not wrong, that is true. Is it news? Debatable.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lizard Wizard posted:

...well, what happened?

http://reductress.com/post/this-woman-baked-an-egg-in-an-avocado-what-happened-next-will-blow-your-tits-clean-off/

Apparently it was delicious.

OW MY TITS

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

So THAT'S how he got foxdie.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

blugu64 posted:

How is that legal, not malpractice, etc

It's most definitely not, and it most certainly is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gogo Logo posted:

Nova Scotia man breaks into Kamloops home, feeds cats, watches TV, takes a shower

Some dude made himself right at home in this stranger's house and even wrote a little log of his doings there :crossarms: You know, totally normal things.

Before I read the article I was like, "Well I guess at least they weren't hostile, it could have been worse, yeah they broke in and the resident wasn't home but that doesn't seem all THAT bad all things considered"

But then I read

quote:

“He used (the residents’) toothbrush and shaver, he had taken some meat out of the freezer to thaw and he had written in their diary.”

“Today was my first full day at the ranch,” he wrote in the diary. “I fed the cats and horses. So much I can do here I have to remind myself to just relax and take my time.

“I don’t feel alone here, I guess with 2 cats and 3 horses it’s kinda hard to be alone. Last night I had a fire in the house. It was so (peaceful). I slept like a little baby.

I saw a picture in the basement on the wall of a man holding and weighing fish on a boat. Looking at him I realized we look a lot alike, but I think I’m more handsome.”

and yeah ok nevermind that's fuckin' weird

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:01 on Oct 3, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Me, just a minute ago: "Who would want to have an orgy with Cor -- OHHHHH... right."

...I'm a little slow today.

I'm assuming your realization was 'who wouldn't want to have an orgy with Corey Feldman'.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Can someone let me in on :thejoke:?

Orgy is the name of a band, one-time sorta-star Corey Feldman is not actually having an orgy. The joke is that people are pretending to wish he actually was even though that's a thing no human being would ever actually want because corey feldman is grody

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

drgnwr1 posted:

Anyone else see this picture and think it is a relative of Gregory House?

He's also got a little Stephen Fry in the eye area I think. Really to me he looks A Bit of Fry And Laurie more than anything.

:downsrim:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Just occasionally Wikipedia manages to be both witty and scrupulous.

If you want more non-stick-up-rear end-for-once Wikipedia, here's their pretty humorous list of a gigantic assortment of weird-rear end articles on the site.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Very clever, Lewis Brothers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can ride elephants in Far Cry 4? :o

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I think probably my favorite part of reading that article was learning that Norfolk's crime hotline number is 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rube Goldberg is laughing in his grave right now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Listen, Chicago PD, when your house is on fire you don't have time to spell out that you want the whole fire department, sometimes you just need some good hose. :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Please don't post news articles about me

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Like an old friend...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Since it's been posted a few times in the thread: I have just learned that The Sun's massive "HOME OF THE PAGE 3 GIRL!" advert on the cover is actually trademarked by The Sun's parent company, News International Ltd. They literally trademarked the phrase "Page 3".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

“nothing on but a hat and a smile”

I just want to say that I've always loved this as a way of saying "they're naked" and I'm glad they have put it to good use.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11p0y9z1XOU

David Lynch might have a thing or two to say about that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cleretic posted:

So this guy just wants a Top Gear headed by James May instead of Jeremy Clarkson, then?

I could get behind that.

James May is my favorite middle-aged lesbian.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
♫ Take one down, pass it around, don't drink anymore because in the time we took to mount it on the mantle it's become gross warm beer on the wall ♫

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
While the copyright almost certainly should belong to the guy, the copyright not being in the hands of PETA is a very acceptable alternative.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It really boils down to how much value you place on the various 'if' statements involved. If the guy hadn't brought the camera, the monkey wouldn't have been able to gank it and take the picture. If the monkey hadn't grabbed the camera, the picture wouldn't exist. And so on and so on forever. It's one of those things where there really is no answer and the only thing that can be done about it is for it to be argued about in circles until it's forcibly resolved by the person who throws the most money at it.

Imo though the guy should hold the copyright because putting the picture in the public domain would be acknowledging that the guy had no part in its creation and does not deserve credit, which is untrue. He didn't take the picture, but he is as equally responsible for its existence as the monkey that did.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mulva posted:

Yeah but allowing for split "interest" in photos would open up a whole can of worms. If someone takes a funny picture or video of me in a public place and it goes viral do I get a shares of the copyright? After all I am the performer in this case and the work wouldn't exist without me. What about Apple? After all if not for them making the iPhone I could not have bought it and taken the picture? If the case was decided the way you want it to be, every photographic or video work done without a release or contract would be like a song with 1000 writers.

Yeah but in this case the other half of the split party is a monkey, a creature that has no knowledge of a camera or what it does or what buttons are or how to purposefully press them for the intentional action of creating a photograph. Just because the monkey is sentient doesn't mean that it taking the picture was as intentional as if a person did so. Like someone else said, it's closer to a rock falling on the button or something. I would certainly say that in such cases where the party that actually took the picture had no possible way to understand what it did, that it did, or how it did (or is not sentient), the copyright would fall on the owner of the device, the other half of the "split".

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Jan 8, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't want to live in a world where people cite "Man v. A Monkey (and also PETA)" as a defending argument for who owns a copyright in a court case

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yeah, yeah I could see this guy not showering for 12 years.

edit: he looks like he has visible comic stink lines coming off of him in the pic

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Phlegmish posted:

Anti-environmentalism bordering on racism

What the gently caress

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/22/thomas-the-tank-engine-children-parents

The full article is pretty lol. Some highlights:

quote:

There are many terrible children's programs through which parents must suffer during their child's young life. For every Sesame Street, there is an annoying Caillou or an acid-trippy Yo Gabba Gabba. But Thomas and Friends is – or was – the one show with enough subversive messages to make me turn it off for good.

quote:

Thomas and those friends are trains that toil away endlessly on the Isle of Sodor – which seems to be forever caught in British colonial times – and, on its surface, the show seems to impart good moral lessons about hard work and friendship. But if you look through the steam rising up from the coal-powered train stacks, you realize that the pretty puffs of smoke are concealing some pretty twisted, anachronistic messages.

quote:

these trains perform tasks dictated by their imperious, little white boss, Sir Topham Hatt (also known as The Fat Controller), whose attire of a top hat, tuxedo and big round belly is just a little too obvious. Basically, he's the Monopoly dictator of their funky little island.

Inevitably, the trains get in a fight with or pick on one another (or generally mess up whatever job they are supposed to be doing) until Hatt has to scold one of them about being a "really useful engine", because their sole utility in life is their ability to satisfy his whims. Yeah, because I want to teach my kid to admire a controlling autocrat.

quote:

(For the record, all the "villains" on Thomas and Friends are the dirty diesel engines. I'd like to think there was a good environmental message in there, but when the good engines pump out white smoke and the bad engines pump out black smoke – and they are all pumping out smoke – it's not hard to make the leap into the race territory.)

quote:

But once James gets back on the rails and picks up Granddaughter Hatt and her friends, all seemingly ends well because the girls love pink.

Well guess what? It's not OK. You think a little boy watching Thomas is going to file away the lesson that pink is OK for boys? No, what kids remember is that James was laughed at, cruelly, over and over again, because he looked different and was clad in a "girly" pink color.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Put this in perspective for yourself: This person called Thomas the Tank Engine racist because the steam trains billow out white smoke and the coal trains billow out black smoke. Just think about that for a second.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Westie posted:

presumably you mean diesel pumping out black smoke?

Whatever man, I'm not overly invested in children's shows like Tracy Van Slyke is

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For those that haven't heard this story, it's pretty great:

quote:

Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix star Daniel Radcliffe enjoyed annoying the paparazzi during his recent stint on the London stage - for six months he deliberately wore the same clothes when leaving the theatre so photographs would be worthless. The 17-year-old was greeted by photographers each night outside the Gielgud Theatre during his stint in controversial West End play Equus, where the teenage actor disrobed onstage every night.

Radcliffe quickly realized newspaper and magazine editors wouldn't publish photos of him wearing the same outfit night after night, because it would look like the pictures were taken on the same day. He says, "They (the paparazzi) were outside the theatre every single night, but we came up with a cunning ruse. I would wear the same outfit every time - a different T-shirt underneath, but I'd wear the same jacket and zip it up so they couldn't see what I was wearing underneath, and the same hat. So they could take pictures for six months, but it would look like the same day, so they (photos) became unpublishable. Which was hilarious, because there's nothing better than seeing paparazzi getting really frustrated."

"There was one hysterical moment when my 'stage door outfit,' as it was called, ended up on, like, one of the fashion bits in the newspaper, which is like an old dirty hat and a jacket that hasn't been washed in ages and somehow it got in there. I was very proud," he told Leno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RandomFerret posted:

I thought they already had him in custody in Pennsylvania.

:rimshot: