Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Big...Onions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Tae posted:

Big...Onions?

Onions is kind of a weird choice.

One day I hope a player buys a bunch of court side seats and gives them to fans/friends that know choreographed celebrations for when the player does cool things.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tae posted:

Big...Onions?

This is a really common euphemism, especially in basketball since it's one of Bill Raftery's catchphrases.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It was kind of funny because he was holding his hands up by his abdomen while doing it. I wanted to .gif it but they never showed a good angle :(

Props Department
Jul 10, 2007

creamed corn & confucius
I always assumed the thought behind 'onions!' was that your shot made the other team cry. It's a testicle euphemism??

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Libertine posted:

I feel like it's a given that Shabazz will take over the starting PG job by the end of the season just because of how underwhelming Cole and Chalmers are, but they could both linger on for quite some time, and Shabazz might also suck.

Shabazz has been alright so far but he'll hit the rookie wall at some point. I think his ceiling this year is settling into the primary backup PG role as it looks more and more like Chalmers is going to play a lot of shooting guard this year.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Props Department posted:

I always assumed the thought behind 'onions!' was that your shot made the other team cry. It's a testicle euphemism??

I assumed it was because onions are round.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Props Department posted:

He says "giant onions!" and stuff like that all the time.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Props Department posted:

“I remember it vividly. It was my first year and the Nets were playing a game down in Miami. And Kevin Edwards hit a big three from the corner to give the Nets a one-point lead late in the game. I had the call: ‘Edwards from the corner, three is GOOD.’ And Raf goes, ‘OOOOH, ONIONS!!!!’

And I turn to him, and I knew Raf’s Raf-to-English translation like the back of my hand. I was able to provide listeners with the track that they needed to follow along. But I had no idea what he was talking about. So I turn to him during the break and say, ‘Bill, Raf, I don’t get that, what is that? Onions? What, it was so good that you cried?’ He said, ‘Hey Bird (Raf’s nickname for Eagle) ... BIG BALLS.’ And that was it. That’s when ONIONS was born.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Ian-Eagle-shares-the-origin-story-of-Bill-Rafter?urn=ncaab,133366

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

nba n/v november: it's a testicle euphemism??

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm pretty sure it's still travelling if you jump.

e: that's why you never see players on a catch and shoot go in the air when they fake

You can do what you want with your feet while you're dribbling except go out of bounds, even if keeping the ball in bounds and not touching it while out of bounds.

You may not start your dribble after you've lifted your pivot foot, you must shoot or pass, which is why you cannot fake a shot and then start dribbling.

The Spurs may have the least amount of wins in the west come wednesday. Well, tied with the Lakers anyway. Currently a 9 seed!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Strawberry Panda posted:

Is there any team that hasn't extended their young PGs yet?

In one of the more promising developments of the Jackson Era, the New York Knicks aren't racing to re-sign their guards just because they're young+on the court.

Shane Larkin and Shumpert both didn't get extensions http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/59477/knicks-decline-larkin-no-shumpert-deal?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Has anyone watched the Hawks' two games? Will Schroeder ever see the floor?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Libertine posted:

I feel like it's a given that Shabazz will take over the starting PG job by the end of the season just because of how underwhelming Cole and Chalmers are, but they could both linger on for quite some time, and Shabazz might also suck.

Cole has been sorta really good so far though, unless you mean when he inevitably flies too close to the sun.

Chalmers is playing ok too this year. Honestly, for all the jokes about talent vampire I do think it's a challenge for a ball-dominant player to get in any sort of rythym next to Lebron. If your not a Wade/Kyrie talent it seems like you'll always take a dip.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Jack's Flow posted:

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

straight up brolic posted:

is it worth getting up at 5:10 in the morning to watch Dante Exum

Just wait for him to go to the d league and catch him on youtube

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
'Big Balls Dance' should become the base unit of fines in the NBA. ei Marc Cuban was fined 5 big balls dances yesterday for whining

Shear the Sheep
Dec 31, 2008

Jack's Flow posted:

Saw the floor as a backup against the Raptors. Was nothing special sadly. I expect him to get playing time this season with ATL running a lot of 2-3 guard lineups with Millsap and Horford as the bigs.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
is the guy who played Pedro Cerrano (voodoo slugger who does the balls dance in Major League) and The President still doing those insurance commercials where he stops time and steals people's chinese food

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

dokmo posted:

Just wait for him to go to the d league and catch him on youtube
i believe in dante

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

i believe in dante

So do I. D League is not punishment for being poo poo.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

dokmo posted:

So do I. D League is not punishment for being poo poo.
has any player made it back from the morass of the d-league and become a good player? serious question

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Jack's Flow posted:

Here's the highlights from all the Hawks games http://on.nba.com/1xTGFQc

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

has any player made it back from the morass of the d-league and become a good player? serious question

Jeremy Lamb is alright and spent a whole year playing in the D-League. Chris Andersen came from the D-League. A bunch of other decent dudes have spent a little time there.

I think mostly coaches and FO aren't using it right and need to let some guys get some playing time dominating rather than languish on the bench.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Here is a list of NBA players with D-League experience.
http://www.nba.com/dleague/tracker/

Lot's of useful players have played a few games in the D-League.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Why does the list top out at 4 games? is that really the upper bound or is the script hosed up? I don't know much about the d-league other than that no one plays defense and that 5'8 guy who's in Turkey or something dropped 75 on a team.

e: v :blush: i dumb

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 3, 2014

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Why does the list top out at 4 games? is that really the upper bound or is the script hosed up? I don't know much about the d-league other than that no one plays defense and that 5'8 guy who's in Turkey or something dropped 75 on a team.

That's their production from the 2014-15 season.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

^^^ Ahh, I see

Spacebump posted:

Yeah Lamb played like 20+ games in the D-League. This list is messed up.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Lots of Rockets players. Aaron Brooks, Patrick Patterson, Terrence Jones. James Johnson was there last year.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Nobody becomes a good player in the d league, they are good players who need playing time. Terrence Jones, Chris Andersen, Ed Davis, half of the OKC Thunder, Avery Bradley have all spent time there.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chris Bosh and Klay Thompson were the Players of the Week.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

PantsFreeZone posted:

I'd give it to AD over Klay but those are good choices.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

PantsFreeZone posted:

I see Bosh is transitioning from full-on velociraptor to dilophosaurus

Faxanadu
Apr 18, 2003

Chris Bosh: Onion Knight

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

@danmccarneysaen · 34m 34 minutes ago
Pop on how Splitter looked today in practice: "On a scale of 1-10, he looked fine. Handsome kid."
https://twitter.com/danmccarneysaen/status/529360108879626240

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
People are saying good things about the Kings I don't understand it I can't handle it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dokmo posted:

Nobody becomes a good player in the d league, they are good players who need playing time. Terrence Jones, Chris Andersen, Ed Davis, half of the OKC Thunder, Avery Bradley have all spent time there.

I think it's especially good for guards because although the quality of defender running the defense is less, the sets are fairly similar and it seems that if you can score there you can score in the NBA (at least over the past few years).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spoeank posted:

People are saying good things about the Kings I don't understand it I can't handle it.

Rudy Gay is good at basketball again. I don't know if I'd pencil Sac in for the playoffs yet though, this just screams "Hot start, end with 42 wins" to me.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Lockback posted:

Rudy Gay is good at basketball again. I don't know if I'd pencil Sac in for the playoffs yet though, this just screams "Hot start, end with 42 wins" to me.
not to sound bitter, but they shouldn't have won last night the clippers missed over 9000 wide open looks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Spacebump posted:

Onions is kind of a weird choice.

One day I hope a player buys a bunch of court side seats and gives them to fans/friends that know choreographed celebrations for when the player does cool things.

Wasn't there a poster who had an avatar of a raptors player with "Onions baby...onions" written below it?

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure Gerald Green spent time in D-league and came out OK.

• Locked thread