Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think if the Pistons get in, they take the Nets or Pacer's spot, not Atlanta's spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dokmo posted:

Nobody becomes a good player in the d league, they are good players who need playing time. Terrence Jones, Chris Andersen, Ed Davis, half of the OKC Thunder, Avery Bradley have all spent time there.

I think it's especially good for guards because although the quality of defender running the defense is less, the sets are fairly similar and it seems that if you can score there you can score in the NBA (at least over the past few years).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Local TV is a giant chunk of team's revenue and the more national games the less valuable (to local networks) the service is, theoretically, at least.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Ish Smith might be the only player that makes me glad to have Ronnie Price on the Lakers roster.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Blinkman987 posted:

I think it's a little tough this year as Gentry was the clever offensive guy and I don't know if Lawrence Frank is going to be that guy. Woodson certainly isn't. The second unit is a complete rewrite from last season and they're struggling. Plus, JJ hasn't started the season well. From my own experience, Doc is willing to let a second unit go if they're running well, but he's also going to put Chris in if the offense struggles for stretches. It's a pretty easy fix, but I was hoping they would keep the minutes down on CP3 at least, if not both.

For all the credit Kerr is getting it couldn't be more obvious that the Warriors are running Gentry's offense, perhaps with the best collection of players ever to run it. He's my vote for coach of the year so far assistant or not.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lockback posted:

I enjoyed Pau Gasol 40+ minutes in a November game.

I miss when it used to be unusual for Pau to play less than 40+ a game.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Obviously blocked by the ghost of Paul George.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

roundmidnight posted:

Wow, the Lakers don't have another game until Sunday.

I was trying to find a winnable game for them, and I was going to say their next one against Charlotte is probably their best bet - maybe the Pelicans, but I could see them going 0-10 easily.

I don't like the Lakers against the Pelicans because of the back to back situation, and don't like them against the Hornets because a good defensive team could mean the Lakers shoot like 20% on the night. I think the Hawks could maybe be a win because their defense is so bad, but more than likely they bury the Lakers in sheer volume of threes. The team does seem to be getting better but even with that happening it's going to be a giant hurdle to win much this month since they're either playing playoff teams or in a back to back on the east coast almost all month.

The Nuggets at home are what I had marked as the first win, just because the Lakers will be rested and the Nuggets aren't as great on the road on either side of the ball.

And yeah I would rather the Lakers play another game this week instead of four games last week and four games the next two weeks.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Is anyone here still doing microcent betting? I want to put a theory to the test but am too chicken to gamble with real amounts of money.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

Dumb question,

Does SAS hate the Cavs for some reason? Just kind of curious, am finding I'm like the only fan, and just see threads filled with "gently caress the Cavs" "ahahahahah", etc.

Also not used to really cheering for the villain considering all of my teams are kind of underdogs often times (Browns, etc). So it's a tad bit weird to see people openly rooting for your team to fail.

e: It's weird to see the Heat get defended/cheered for than the Cavs. I recall a lot of people defending them over the course of a few years.

Funny you don't have a problem with being one of the haters-for-no-reason when it comes to the Lakers.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

I actually like this iteration of the Lakers much more than any lineup since, uh, Eddie Jones I guess

It is tragically flawed and totally likable

I liked last year's team more because Jodie Meeks and Pau are great dudes and at least the games went quick.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

I think this is Peak Rick

I hope you understand how much restraint it takes me not to respond all day long to the 10 Lakers Bashing posts a day. I mean I completely logically understand they deserve it at this point but the temptation, it's still there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lockback posted:

The Suns made the WCF before they asked Kerr and his staff to take a paycut and he quit. He left a team with Alvin Gentry and roster that won 54 games and made a deep playoff run. That's a weird definition of "destroyed".

I agree Jackson probably didn't have a lot to do with it, but the team did turn around. And VDN is a bad coach if you want to win games but he's a pretty good coach as far as sticking to his guns and making sure rookies get playing time. But the Bulls never won more than 41 games with VDN, GSW won 50+ with Jackson.

They "made the WCF" due to fluke causing their half of the bracket to be soft (They wouldn't have made it out of the first round on the other side), and a team was much worse than other playoff Suns' teams because of the bad moves that Kerr had made the two previous years. The success the team had was a product of Alvin Gentry coaching against the style Kerr over and over again said he wanted to play in the media.

It just looks like Kerr is yet again the face of Alvin Gentry's success.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

kyrie is not getting traded after a week why y'all so simple

Yeah hard to slam a guy for reposting reddit stuff when everyone then proceeds to post the same comments as they did over there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

It's entirely possible that the big weight loss was a miscalculation on LeBron's part and will bite him in the rear end but there were like a billion "WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE HEAT" articles in his first season there when they didn't immediately become the 96 Bulls (for most of the season they weren't even the best team in the East!). Eventually they got it together and made the Fianls. It takes time to learn how to play with people and learn a new system.

I thought the fact that he had all those other physical tools on top of being inside Karl Malone's body is what really caused him to transcend other players but those other physical tools are still really good so maybe it's just gonna take him some time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Bill Simmons turning on the Clippers mean they probably win the title this year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

WYA posted:

Can someone explain to me how StubHub manages to be so cheap?

Because they pay a pittance (or nothing) for unsold tickets that arenas used to give away for free or very cheap to lie about having a sellout, and have successfully screwed the consumer over while tricking them into thinking they're getting a deal.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

WYA posted:

Well you sort of are getting a deal because they are less expensive than any other option of buying those tickets

If the service would die it would go back to being free though )=

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

chilihead posted:

Not saying this is an insignificant amount of money, but the real money is from the TV contracts. In fact i would go so far as to only pay players based on the tv deals, the owners would get to keep the profits from tickets sales, if they have any profits!

Part of the reason the TV deal is so high because of the high number of games.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
There was never really a cohesive clothing culture where I was at in the 90s.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Drunk Canuck posted:

This team is going to be in the ECF and you're all gonna be mad that you didn't believe us Raptors fans.

The number of people who have posted negative things about the Raptors who aren't Raptors fans this season is roughly zero.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Now I have to cheer for the Cavs to keep Kevin Love off the Lakers.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Death By The Blues posted:

I seriously thought that when Cavs traded for Kevin Love they managed to sign them. You are telling me they traded two number one overall pics for a year of Kevin Love? Yeesh

That would've been giving up a lot of money, and he can't participate in any sort of binding agreement to re-sign (I believe the exact phrasing was "he would definitely consider re-signing with the Cavs")

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I feel like the more I believe in the Pistons the worse they get. This is all my fault.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The Lakers ended up not accepting the DPE for Nash (yet) in order to keep some trade flexibility going. They have all season to decide and there aren't a ton of unsigned players worth $5 mil right now so they aren't in a hurry to accept it.

They did take a $1.5 DPE for Julius Randle.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Igor Strelkov posted:

Jordan Hill's stat line against Memphische, 6/17, 14 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks, 13 points

Yeah he's playing really well and has started to come on defensively which is nice because last year even when he played well he often matadored.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Chris Johnson is kind of an NBA player.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The key thing that Kobe has in common with that MJ year is they both were putting up those numbers while being double and triple teamed most of the game.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I guess Ater Majok is a real player and not someone Mitch Kupchak just made up because they're flying him in to evaluate his progress.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

Also I found out that the Nuggets waived Quincy Miller before the start of the season for some reason, the Lakers should hop on that probably

Yeah they're bringing him in for a workout, expected to sign him if he can breathe.

Majok is not super likely to play this year actually, even if the Lakers like him, they just have to make their decision whether to keep him or not before the next draft and if they like him they can wait to sign him until after the season ends.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

commy gun posted:

He's 100% in being half the player he was.

He's pretty close to the player he was two years ago but at the Lakers also had a lineup that saw him see the fewest doubles of his career.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If you could combine the assets of the Lakers and Knicks you'd have an Eastern Conference playoff team.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
For whatever reason a rumor that the Lakers are interested in Austin Rivers is pervasive. Probably agent chatter but who knows.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I never thought about this but Denver needs to fire Shaw and hire D'Antoni

Brian Shaw's win total last year was like two years of D'Antoni's stint in Denver.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think Shaw had the right idea, but not the clout to really sell it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

The lack of good depth really hurts. And Ramon Sessions is loving terrible

Apparently Ramon Sessions is only good if he plays for a team based in the midwest.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Tae posted:

They're not fun to watch when every single time Rose goes down, it's possibly the end of the season+next year.

It's not easy, but if you put some effort into not buying this storyline it'll make things a lot easier on you.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lockback posted:

Microsoft isn't really a horrible company. Ambitious maybe, but they have been very progressive in things like same-sex benefits and treating their employees like human beings. Not that they are shining examples of goodness and purity, but on the scale of large American corporations they are definitely on the good side.

A lot of consumer-unfriendly stuff happened with Micrsoft under Allen's helm, but I guess it's kind of offset by how they helped the developing world for free, and even ignoring that, I think it kind of hard to equate that with some of the downright evil poo poo other owners do.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Like if you're going to argue that Scott is one of the worst coaches historically in the league just in general I'm right there with you, but giving him blame for what's happening with the Lakers is sort of silly, so if that's your angle I don't think he's done anything particularly wrong, even though he's said a lot of wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Mountain Time is good for basketball watching, but not much else.

• Locked thread