Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Man
Nov 22, 2006

IWHBYD...
TIS/TIG are being phased out with an emphasis on EPRs. Also quotas for 4/5 ratings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Just wrote what's hopefully my last EPR, 3 months before it's due, and 3 months after my last one.

Also got a talking to for something I wrote on an Excel spreadsheet two years ago. Apparently the word FUBAR is not an acceptable term for the status of something.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
New evals are gay, old evals are gay. Evals are super gay and I'm tired of hearing everyone I know talk about them.

Who has the best Halloween drunken debauchery tales? Unfortunately I had to help a buddy work a haunted house dressed like an eighties zombie punker ala Return of the Living Dead so the only action I was getting was some Spanish AWACS dude's trophy wife grab me in fright and press her tits all up on my arm. That was lame but we did make a couple people piss themselves and a bunch of dependent children cry so it wasn't a total loss.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Wild T posted:

New evals are gay, old evals are gay. Evals are super gay and I'm tired of hearing everyone I know talk about them.
Who has the best Halloween drunken debauchery tales? Unfortunately I had to help a buddy work a haunted house dressed like an eighties zombie punker ala Return of the Living Dead so the only action I was getting was some Spanish AWACS dude's trophy wife grab me in fright and press her tits all up on my arm. That was lame but we did make a couple people piss themselves and a bunch of dependent children cry so it wasn't a total loss.

Some hot drunk chick in a slutty referee costume shoved my face in her cleavage. Of course she was pretty much doing that to everyone else in the bar.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I spent it in transit back to Kunsan. Thanks for scheduling that bus ride back at 5pm on Halloween!!

Plowed my girlfriend when I got back though :unsmith:

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
a sad air force thread

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Don't worry, it was actually smertrioslol's passed out coworker.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
Anyone at Offutt?

Anyone know much about Offutt?

I hear it's flat, and it gets a moderate amount of snow, and the winters are cold.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I know there's a decent brewpub downtown, and a candy store that has candy cigarettes, something I hadn't seen since the 80s.

Edit: And yeah, it's flat. And there's a building on base that may or may not have a man-sized hole cut through a wall above the drop ceiling. :ninja:

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

antimatt posted:

Anyone at Offutt?

I hear it's flat, and it gets a moderate amount of snow, and the winters are cold.

An airman I rate on said he would have killed himself if he spent more than a year there.

Happy resiliency day :toot:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

antimatt posted:

Anyone at Offutt?

It's not actually that flat in the area around Offutt.

Honestly, the winters are bitter cold. But everything else is okay, unless you like watersports stuff, then you're hosed.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Skiing or having people pee on you?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you're in Nebraska, life is already pissing on you.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Godholio posted:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

antimatt posted:

Anyone at Offutt?

Grew up about 15 minutes down the road. Like TLG James said, the area around Offutt actually isn't that flat, there are bluffs on either side of the Missouri (Offutt is about a mile away from the river). As you get further west in Omaha it gets flatter, and then get more than an hour west or east and it's back to pancake flat, but the area around the river actually has some topography.

Old Market/downtown is a lot of fun and keeps getting more and more development, there's the College World Series in the summer which is a month-long tailgate, a surprising amount of good restaurants + a couple of good breweries...overall Omaha isn't a bad city by any means. If you've got a family Sarpy County (area right around Offutt) is a great place to get a house/raise kids, if you're single I'd recommend living somewhere else...midtown and downtown are both good options depending on what you're into, the only problem with living outside of Sarpy County is the commute.

The winters can be pretty bad (depends on your threshold...it's not like -50 Minot weather but every winter there's at least a couple of weeks where wind chills will dip into the -20s, also usually a fair amount of snow) and the summers are hot and pretty humid...standard Great Plains weather.

\/ If you're in the Omaha - Lincoln corridor that's okay, if you're outside of that I don't know what to tell you \/

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 5, 2014

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Godholio posted:

garbage man got out of usmc to go to school in san diego, gods own paradise, and then voluntarily moved to nebraska for ... reasons

so what's happening in that case? I was gonna use that smilie that had the guy making GBS threads in his mouth but apparently ralp is a butthurt bitch

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Omaha is actually pretty awesome, Offutt is a giant incestuous self licking ice cream cone.

If you're single and 21+, I recommend living in the Old Market, between Dodge and Howard, 10th to 15th street. It's reverse commuting so there is rarely any traffic during rush hour, took me 12 minutes + gate traffic to get to work.

If you want to be around Hipsters, Benson'ish is good.

If you have a family and don't make decent income, (E-2 through E-5ish), many people live in Bellevue by Offutt.

If you have a family and make decent income, most people live in Papillion. It's about a 20 minute commute and constantly ranked in the top 10 places to live in the US: http://time.com/money/2791418/papillion-ne-8-best-places-to-live/

Omaha is a million+ people, has a Costco, a premier Ducati dealership, local race tracks, and scenes for pretty much everything. They won't be in your face as much as say, San Francisco, but it literally has everything you need (except a major sports team, loving Husker fans.)

Let me know if you have any more questions... I was stationed at Offutt until 2013 and will probably be coming back in ~2016.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

xaarman posted:

Let me know if you have any more questions... I was stationed at Offutt until 2013 and will probably be coming back in ~2016.

What's the name of the brewpub that's a lot of red brick and dark wood paneling...pool tables near the front door, and I think a second floor balcony area...and a central bar with growlers.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

xaarman posted:

a million+ people, has a Costco,

:eyepop:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Priorities.

<3 Costco.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's loving Nebraska. The only thing not listed is goddamn corn.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
I did my first gear inventory today. The military is so gay and pointless when it's not directly supporting a combat mission in a combat zone (from what I've heard).

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

xaarman posted:

Mwa Ha ha. Welcome back. You going to live in Ahmad Green's building again?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

terrez posted:

I did my first gear inventory today. The military is so gay and pointless when it's not directly supporting a combat mission in a combat zone (from what I've heard).

No it can be pretty gay and pointless there too, especially if you're in the AF.

e: Obviously places like the bases in the Persian Gulf are retarded because you get the double whammy of being "deployed" to a place that is basically like a stateside base with shittier living, dining, and recreational facilities, but even places like BAF/KAF are incredibly retarded and pointless. Ask me about being ordered to park a quarter billion+ dollars worth of combat assets in the same spot on the ramp in a place that got rocketed on a regular basis so a bunch of colonels could take pictures in front of them.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 7, 2014

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
Well for EOD I hear the life is a lot more meaningful when you're actually out clearing things regularly. I got stationed with some ncos/leadership that seem more like admin personnel and will prioritize stupid poo poo like counting how many widgets we have in the warehouse over eod training. Coincidentally these same people somehow managed to graduate school in early to mid 2000s and never did a combat deployment.

There's plenty of cool bros in the shop though who definitely have done some poo poo and know the line between important and blue poo poo.

4 day weekend though time to drown my problems in beer and video games.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

terrez posted:

Well for EOD I hear the life is a lot more meaningful when you're actually out clearing things regularly. I got stationed with some ncos/leadership that seem more like admin personnel and will prioritize stupid poo poo like counting how many widgets we have in the warehouse over eod training. Coincidentally these same people somehow managed to graduate school in early to mid 2000s and never did a combat deployment.

There's plenty of cool bros in the shop though who definitely have done some poo poo and know the line between important and blue poo poo.

4 day weekend though time to drown my problems in beer and video games.

I've got some bad news for you

zombieswithblenders
Nov 21, 2008
Wow I passed my EOC today. Didnt think I would make it this far willingly. Now time to sit back and get free monies.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

TLG James posted:

Mwa Ha ha. Welcome back. You going to live in Ahmad Green's building again?

Of all the things to remember!

No, unfortunately not. I've taken up the hobby of racing motorcycles, and absolutely need a garage.

Still own it though and it is being rented out :>

xaarman fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 7, 2014

terrez
Mar 20, 2012

Well yea but there's other stuff we do and when we're out working on the world all the dumb poo poo gets set aside.

I'm just bitter that I hear about other shops that are way more laid back while I feel like I'm in a Big Air Force unit.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Hello Osan, I think I'm gonna sleep for a week or so if that's fine with you. gently caress long-rear end flights.

on_ix
Nov 24, 2012
I have my choice of Cyber Systems Operations, Client Systems, or Transport Systems.
I'm on the fence between Cyber Systems Operations and Transport Systems.
Anyone have any experience with them to?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

The correct choice is to turn around and walk away, before it's too late.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

on_ix posted:

I have my choice of Cyber Systems Operations, Client Systems, or Transport Systems.
I'm on the fence between Cyber Systems Operations and Transport Systems.
Anyone have any experience with them to?

IN THEORY, 3D0X2 (cyber ops) is server administration. In reality, you can wind up doing anything from helpdesk to specialized program support at an Air Operations Center. When I went through Keesler we were getting Security+ as part of the 8570 requirement.

3D1X1 (client systems) are your CSTs, and mostly function at the base comm squadron providing end-user hardware support. Desktops, iPhones, printers, that kind of thing. I think they get A+ in tech school.

3D1X2 (transport) are the network hardware guys. Switches, routers, firewalls, IDS. Anything to do with the network that doesn't involve logging into a server, mostly. gently caress if I know what they do. At least they're not cable dogs.

If you have any questions about 0X2 specifically shoot me a PM. I could probably hunt down a 1X2 if you wanted.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
3D0X2 is alright, like Shalhavet said we pretty much do a wide spectrum of comm related stuff even though we are supposed to focus on server/system administration. Right now I am doing program/project management but have done a little bit of everything in the past.

3D1X2 is also decent, especially if you are actually good at it and pick up the right certs before you get out, you can make some nice money on the outside.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
If you need to hunt down a 1X2 don't look far, I'm it.

I worked at Little Rock AFB for five years doing Cisco access layer switches. Right now I'm in Korea doing a bit with Cisco routers but mostly still doing switch work. We do a little bit of work on servers but mostly it's making sure poo poo is plugged in and that it's configured right to go from point A to point B. Not every base uses Cisco, some use Brocade and some use Avaya. 3D1X2 gets a little broad, we do anything from what I'm doing to secure telephones to satellite comms. The career field does telecom stuff, and I've been shanghaied into being telephone systems NCOIC before. If it deals with an OSI layer 1 as in physical cable be it copper, fiber, or otherwise, 3D1X2 is it.

Shalhavet posted:

Hello Osan, I think I'm gonna sleep for a week or so if that's fine with you. gently caress long-rear end flights.

Sup buddy, let me know when you want to hit a bar or two.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

What the gently caress? Ramstein is having some kind of anime convention in the mall food court. We have fursuiters in line at Manchu Wok. This is not a drill, we have furries at the Manchu Wok.

Edit: Also a giant goddamn Warhammer fort by the front door. I'm more ashamed of the Air Force than usual

Wild T fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 8, 2014

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title

Wild T posted:

What the gently caress? Ramstein is having some kind of anime convention in the mall food court. We have fursuiters in line at Manchu Wok. This is not a drill, we have furries at the Manchu Wok.

Edit: Also a giant goddamn Warhammer fort by the front door. I'm more ashamed of the Air Force than usual

Betting that 90% of these peeps are Intel or Comm.

This does not beat the time I witnessed 2 guys in medieval armor with (blunted I assume) swords practicing "martial arts" for their LARP or whatever the gently caress, in front of their dorm in broad daylight when I was walking back from work at Osan. They were not ashamed. You fix computers, you are not Richard the loving Lionheart.

Winterfresh
Sep 11, 2004

Pro.
We have Bronies with associated tattoos working in our OSS. When confronted, they threatened EO action - I poo poo you not.

Motherfucker, the civil rights movement was NOT for grown-rear end men with pony tattoos.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wild T posted:

They had some pretty expensive stormtrooper costumes for sale when I was there in September, and that tactilol store, this is the logical next step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

There was a Darth Vader walking around with an entourage of storm troopers and one fat girl in those black Nazi outfits. My daughter wanted to take a picture with them because she loves the Vader's Little Princess book, but I could smell the dude from my table and I promised to buy her a toy instead. I spent twenty five dollars on some La La Loopsy bullshit, gently caress you unwashed Vader

This was my third day TDY here for NCOA. I hate you Ramstein.

• Locked thread