Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Stealing Zorak's description from the Fall 2014 thread:
New original slice-of-life anime produced by Studio Gokumi, it's being directed by Seiji Kishi (Persona 4) and written by "Takahiro" (Akame ga Kill). As it's an original IP and there's so little known, I'm just going to copy the summary given by the studio here: "The story takes place in the era of the gods, year 300. Yuuna Yuuki lives an ordinary life as a second year middle school student, but she's also a member of the "Hero Club," where club activities involve dealing with a mysterious being called "Vertex."

Anyone coming into this anime based off that description is going to be in for a bit of a surprise. This is actually a by the numbers team of magical girls fighting to save the world anime.. or is it!? Well that 'or is it' is probably what Takahiro and Studio Gokumi want you to believe. All the signs have been pointing to a Madoka style sudden change of tone.

Did I mention ALL THE SIGNS?

Our Cast:

From right to left (because :japan:)

Yūna Yūki - The Genki Pink One
Titular hero and surprisingly not the first one to become a magical girl. Punches things.

Mimori Tōgō - The Quiet Blue One
Wheelchair bound and smart. Shoots things.

Karin Miyoshi - The Tsundere Red One
Shows up late to the party and only plays along because she has to.. Swords things.

Itsuki Inubōzaki - The Innocent Green One
The younger sister to the walking death flag, shared tragic past of some sort. Vines things?

Fū Inubōzaki - The Walking Death Flag
Listen if this girl doesn't bite it by the end of episode 5... Double Swords things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Keiichi Okabe does a lot of anime music, but Emi Evans was a surprise.

e: guess it's worth mentioning that this is one of those big cross media things, with like three mangas going and a prequel LN and a vita game next year.

Prequel characters

Washio Sumi
Nogi Sonoko
Minowa Gin

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 3, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Is there actually anything interesting about this show at all? Because adding Cute Girls Dying to a very generic looking cute girls fighting monsters series is not as inherently awesome and original as people seem to think.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

Fangz posted:

Is there actually anything interesting about this show at all? Because adding Cute Girls Dying to a very generic looking cute girls fighting monsters series is not as inherently awesome and original as people seem to think.

Not so far. Apparently the fact it was a magical girls show at all was some sort of twist as nothing before the show airing alluded to it being one. Really episode 5 will give us the answer. If they go the obvious route and just dust yellow then there will be nothing of note here, if it turns out to be some elaborate bait and switch the show might have narrative legs. Right now it's super generic though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fangz posted:

So far it's been fairly amusing and cute but if you're not into that sort of thing, probably not. Also, no-one has actually died yet and I think that the death flag thing is going to be a running joke that never happens. I could be wrong though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

So far it's been fairly amusing and cute but if you're not into that sort of thing, probably not. Also, no-one has actually died yet and I think that the death flag thing is going to be a running joke that never happens. I could be wrong though.

It can really go every way. Either Yuuki Yuuna will be a super happy hero and everything will be fine, or Yuuki Yuuna will be the sole survivor in a devastated world where she only managed to save herself (but she saved someone, therefore she's a hero.)

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

What I wonder about is the way they've done everything they can to not talk about the state of the world. It isn't exactly normal, modern Japan. Maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe they're just saving all of it for the LN or whatever.

btw they showed the first five episodes in a theater or something over the weekend. You can find spoilers if you go looking for them.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Does it at least have its own style or does it not really stand out aesthetically? You're making it sound mediocre enough that it's a wait and read reviews later deal, but if it has a different enough but still coherent and thematic aesthetic to it I'd probably watch it anyway.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The transformed world/magic battle environment is visually interesting, although obviously inspired by Madoka Magica.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay uh... that was actually kind of underwhelming. What now? The only kind of interesting hook in the preview was something about lingering effects of :ssj:.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

Yeah, everyone powers up and defeats the all out assault of the last of the badguys, what the heck is left?
Anyone not already watching this show: I can't at this point recommend getting into it, it's very much a show you keep watching just to see it through.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I thought the new transformations kicked rear end. Especially the super gun ship and Yuna's big rear end fists. Now that the main plot is done so early I'm looking forward to what comes next.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

After the screening the cast came out and made fun of the audience for expecting someone to die.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

straight jerkers posted:

After the screening the cast came out and made fun of the audience for expecting someone to die.

They certainly didn't pull any punches in terms of building that expectation, to the point where I don't have any sympathy for anyone who didn't have at least some doubts about it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Amstrad posted:

They certainly didn't pull any punches in terms of building that expectation, to the point where I don't have any sympathy for anyone who didn't have at least some doubts about it.

Well Red didn't transform to her Mankai and there's still this lingering background that we still know nothing about beyond vague snippets mentioned during the class lectures. I'm sure the next episode will set up Act 2 where everything falls apart and/or poo poo gets real(er)

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Well Red didn't transform to her Mankai and there's still this lingering background that we still know nothing about beyond vague snippets mentioned during the class lectures. I'm sure the next episode will set up Act 2 where everything falls apart and/or poo poo gets real(er)

8 episodes later...
No guys really, next episode things are going to get real, just watch!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Xelkelvos posted:

Now we get to find out whatever terrible system is behind Shinju and the vertexes. My money is on a Bokurano-style elimination game between alternate realities, with the "vertexes" being other worlds' magical girls.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Um, I don't think every magical girl anime post-2011 is going to get—or for that matter, should get—an EDGY TWIST. maybe they're just going to do a normal. . . . Wait, Takahiro is the writer?! Well, better fasten my seatbelt.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Now we get to find out whatever terrible system is behind Shinju and the vertexes. My money is on a Bokurano-style elimination game between alternate realities, with the "vertexes" being other worlds' magical girls.

That sounds plausible. It might turn into a Saikano-ish scenario with power consuming them and causing habitual destruction etc.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I can't help but admire a show that dedicates its first five episodes to loving with people who expect it to be exactly like the Subgenre Zeitgeist Show. This show pulled it off pretty well!

I mean, seriously, it's been hilarious to watch the "WHO'S GONNA DIE" talk that springs up whenever this show comes up anywhere. We've gotten "OH NO CHARACTER X IS NOT IN THE OP" twice, and it's been just as funny both times. This is a show that I just really wouldn't appreciate as much without other people to :allears: over during the discussion.

If they spend the entire season ominously teasing dark developments and and it all ends on a happy note without any of it ever materializing, I will die laughing and then 10/10 the series forever. It will be the most magnificent act of trolling in some time.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What I like about this show over Madoka is that it does make an actual effort to develop its characters beyond putting them in harrowing situations. Madoka was good from start to finish but at some points it felt like it was loving with its characters because the plot called for them to suffer. I genuinely liked episode 3, which introduced a character and made me care for her in the span of twenty-odd minutes, which Madoka couldn't even do for me.

It looks great and polished, too.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

On the other hand, the show is aggressively boring, I couldn't care less if any of the characters lived or died regardless of their character development, and all of their motivations are paper-thin (aside from the younger yellow-haired sister).

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Yuki Yuna is a Hero: This Thread Is Already Dead

:rip:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I wasn't going to watch this show initially until I learned it had a paraplegic character, and was pleasantly surprised to see her treated with respect. I also like how her hero form doesn't cure her legs and she's no worse for it. (That transformation, though.)

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

That actually sounds kinda neat. Not like "watch the whole season because of that" neat, but I'll give the series another cookie towards watching it after I finish some older stuff I'm watching for the first time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kylra posted:

Yuki Yuna is a Hero: This Thread Is Already Dead

:rip:

You were expecting death? Too bad! It's only Yuki Yuna.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Paracelsus posted:

That was my suspicion from the start as well, the vertexes had a distorted magical girl motif, and you can tell they are dangerously intelligent.

Since this the "era of the gods", my suspicion is that earth has been split into the dominions of many gods (of which Shinju is one, and it and the Taisho are no secrets to the general populace). Some great unravelling has occurred in the past, there is absolutely no mention of foreign countries. The main characters use distinct flower and Shinto visual motifs, to signify how Japanese they are. So there's something uncomfortably nationalist about a show all about Defending the Homeland Against the Foreigners.

Bokurano wasn't afraid to make you question yourself. What little I'd seen about Akame ga Kill was that it was deliberately edgy as gently caress. Still waiting for the shoe to drop here.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if the only shoe dropping happened in that prequel LN, which is already more in line with what people expected this show to be.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Phobophilia posted:

Since this the "era of the gods", my suspicion is that earth has been split into the dominions of many gods (of which Shinju is one, and it and the Taisho are no secrets to the general populace). Some great unravelling has occurred in the past, there is absolutely no mention of foreign countries. The main characters use distinct flower and Shinto visual motifs, to signify how Japanese they are. So there's something uncomfortably nationalist about a show all about Defending the Homeland Against the Foreigners.

That'd make sense. If you looked when they kept going into space, the Shinju-area was just the one flower, presumably where Japan is on the globe, and then just Earth. And since they apparently can't do anything outside the Shinju's area, that'd make sense so long as you pretend it's area is just 2d.

Honestly, I'd be pretty happy if it just ended at six episodes. Not everything needs A SHOCKING TWIST, after all. I mean it won't, but that'd be pretty neat.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh hey, there's the despair. Finally!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

nielsm posted:

Oh hey, there's the despair. Finally!

I would've been surprised if it wouldn't have happened at some point.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

hahaha

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
For a show where nothing bad has really happened, this is oddly good at suspense. Something about the show just leads to this constant sense of menace. It's unnerving.

I don't think the show will really work if you're watching it once it's over, though. I mean, if you can know one way or the other, and if the rest is available to watch any time, can you really be unsure?

Wow, that is awful. Especially if that prediction comes to pass, drat. Good job, art people!

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

what is this supposed to be pointing out?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
3/5

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Pyronic posted:

what is this supposed to be pointing out?
Look at what spots on their bodies are being covered up, and compare that to what we learned in the episode.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Paracelsus posted:

Look at what spots on their bodies are being covered up, and compare that to what we learned in the episode.

I didn't see the episode yet! I'll watch it in the morning.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Please change thread title to Yuki yuna is a Hero: Tasteless

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Denial — As the reality of loss is hard to face, one of the first reactions to follow the loss is Denial. The person is trying to shut out the reality or magnitude of his/her situation, and begins to develop a false, preferable reality.

And next is anger...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames

Hmm, I think if they wanted to show Karin losing feeling in her left leg, they'd have put it behind Togo; actually, that looks like it's where her leg would normally be. Maybe it's shown because she doesn't lose her leg?

• Locked thread