Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Certainly not as rousing as the previous games' themes, but it seems to fit the era just fine. I think 3 is my favorite, followed by 2 and Black Flag. I can't quite say the same for the in-game music for Syndicate, as it sounds like it's cribbed directly from Zimmer's Sherlock Holmes soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So does AC China play like Mark of the Ninja? Because Mark of the Ninja was ridiculously good.

Also can I get it stand-alone or do I have to throw money at Unity to get it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scyantific posted:

So does AC China play like Mark of the Ninja? Because Mark of the Ninja was ridiculously good.

Also can I get it stand-alone or do I have to throw money at Unity to get it?

AC:C is like a less-good MotN. I don't mean bad it's just... more linear and straightforward and less well designed. I had fun with it but MotN is a better game by several orders of magnitude.

It is stand-alone though.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

kinmik posted:

Certainly not as rousing as the previous games' themes, but it seems to fit the era just fine. I think 3 is my favorite, followed by 2 and Black Flag. I can't quite say the same for the in-game music for Syndicate, as it sounds like it's cribbed directly from Zimmer's Sherlock Holmes soundtrack.

I was really disappointed with the soundtrack for Unity after I was spoiled by the ones for 3 and 4. It was just.. there. Nothing really to commend it. (Arguably like the rest of the game.)

I hope Syndicate does better, but the main theme doesn't inspire confidence in me, as much as I love Wintory's other work.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

kinmik posted:

the whole game seems to be cribbing off those movies.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I think the only one that was genuinely memorable to me (outside of the ACIV Shanties) was the AC:Brotherhood 'Master Assassin' track. I think that's a pretty good track in it's own right.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Do you think they'll do a game based on the movie based on the games??

Assassin's Creed: The Creed: Creed of Assassin

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Shockeh posted:

I think the only one that was genuinely memorable to me (outside of the ACIV Shanties) was the AC:Brotherhood 'Master Assassin' track. I think that's a pretty good track in it's own right.

I thought Venice Rooftops in AC2 was an amazing track.

The AC3 main theme is also pretty memorable I think.

Pretty much all of AC4's soundtrack was top-notch too.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah actually, barring Unity the soundtrack in the major games usually have at least a couple of memorable tracks. Unity's soundtrack, like pretty much everything else in that game, is pretty forgettable.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

zer0spunk posted:

Do you think they'll do a game based on the movie based on the games??

Assassin's Creed: The Creed: Creed of Assassin

I'm a little curious what kind of in-game content will be locked out unless you go see the movie in theaters. Unlock Michael Fassbender's assassin outfit if you see it once opening weekend, or unlock special assassin goggles if you see in IMAX 3-D. I don't even know how they'd do it, but you know there's a team at Ubisoft trying to figure it out.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I can't wait to see Michael Fassbender drop the main plot to go fetch collectibles on the roofs.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

It would kick rear end if there was a scene where the Mentor is like "how could you have missed this pertinent assassination information, the Council made a big announcement and everything" and then smash-cut to a montage of him opening chests

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

season pass stuff staring jack the ripper and Duleep Singh.

seems ok maybe.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Maybe this year they won't end up having to give it out for free.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

macnbc posted:

Maybe this year they won't end up having to give it out for free.

Ha.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Darwin, Dickens, and Jack the Ripper, yawn. Assassin's Creed used to be about the historical deep cuts.

Like if Spring-heeled Jack, the urban-legendary figure in a crazy costume and "metal claws" running around London rooftops and making superhuman leaps, doesn't factor into the game, just fire everyone.

And I'm still waiting on Karl Marx

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh boy. Two high-end gear slots.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Interesting how this time they do not bundle it with the Chronicles gane even though the two stories are more connected.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Darwin, Dickens, and Jack the Ripper, yawn. Assassin's Creed used to be about the historical deep cuts.

Like the Borgia?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like if Spring-heeled Jack, the urban-legendary figure in a crazy costume and "metal claws" running around London rooftops and making superhuman leaps, doesn't factor into the game, just fire everyone.

You possibly might not have to wait forever. On either of those historical figures. Hypothetically.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Leonardo Da Vinci. A historical footnote.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I had sort of assumed Marx went without saying given the time period, the Euro setting, and Jacob straight up mentioning capitalism as a bad thing in one of the trailers, so hopefully Yohalem makes explicit-er what his glyphs in 2 and Brotherhood already made explicit (putting aside the weirdness of large videogame corporation Ubisoft critiquing capitalism in their microtransactions annualized-franchise game)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I had sort of assumed Marx went without saying given the time period, the Euro setting, and Jacob straight up mentioning capitalism as a bad thing in one of the trailers, so hopefully Yohalem makes explicit-er what his glyphs in 2 and Brotherhood already made explicit (putting aside the weirdness of large videogame corporation Ubisoft critiquing capitalism in their microtransactions annualized-franchise game)

AC has always been socially/somewhat fiscally leftish, so i am sure they will mention him in someway. plus ubisoft is canadian/french, so i assume they are more left leaning (at least outwardly) then many american companies.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ayn rand hand job posted:

Leonardo Da Vinci. A historical footnote.

Honestly I'll be happy if they bring back historical broseidons. The fact that the only time you ever got to interact with Benjamin Franklin was as Haytham, and the only thing he did was quote his all cats are grey bit, was a travesty. Like seriously he could've hanged out at your homestead and been all,

"Ah, Connor! There you are. Have we ever spoken at length about the benefits of"
:350:
"vegetarianism?"

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

The White Dragon posted:

Honestly I'll be happy if they bring back historical broseidons. The fact that the only time you ever got to interact with Benjamin Franklin was as Haytham, and the only thing he did was quote his all cats are grey bit, was a travesty. Like seriously he could've hanged out at your homestead and been all,

"Ah, Connor! There you are. Have we ever spoken at length about the benefits of"
:350:
"vegetarianism?"

Don't forget the awkwardly long sequence where Franklin monologues about French women in an uncomfortably sleazy way!

I know it's historical:ssh:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Also a reminder that you're an absolute sucker if you pre-order any AAA game, especially an Assassin's Creed game

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

webmeister posted:

Also a reminder that you're an absolute sucker if you pre-order any AAA game, especially an Assassin's Creed game

Well they delayed it on the PC anyways, so us PC-players have time to hear how awful a game Syndicate is before preordering. :v:

...and then get hosed doubly so when the port comes out and is awful a month later. :suicide:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The White Dragon posted:

The fact that the only time you ever got to interact with Benjamin Franklin was as Haytham
I guess you haven't played Rogue then? Yeah, Benjamin is in it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

webmeister posted:

MGSV restored my faith in preorders after Arkham Knight killed it

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

If it works on your system Arkham Knight is crazy good though, better than most AC games that's for sure. It's true however that you shouldn't pre-order anyway because who gives a poo poo if a game is great when it doesn't run.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah, there were famous people in AC2, but the House of Sforza, the Pazzi conspiracy, and Savonarola aren't exactly household names.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I have no hype for this AC. All of my hype went to MGS5. Sorry Ubisoft

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I've preordered 1 AC title per year since Brotherhood (last year I preordered Rogue but waited on Unity, which turned out to be the correct order.)

There is absolutely nothing that Ubisoft could say or do that would make me preorder Syndicate this year, after watching the Unity mess unfold last year.
The absolute earliest I'll get it is launch week if all the reviews come out and it's absolutely incredible, serious GOTY contender, etc. etc.
Otherwise I'll just wait a month because AC titles tend to be discounted already by Black Friday.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The name-dropping game is taken a bit too far in Syndicate though. It's true that AC series always made you the Forest Gump of the time period but looking at those Season Pass graphics I'm almost expecting to read that Darwin, Jack The Ripper, a random maharaja and the king of England all boarded the same Orient Express and you're the freaking train conductor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some guns and camo you never use?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Some guns and camo you never use?

More like the game is legit good compared to the steaming pile of unplayable garbage that was the PC version of AK.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Preordering contributes nothing to that though.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I'm surprised they haven't tried to fudge the numbers and include Isambard Kingdom Brunel and his secret steampunk warmachine.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Palpek posted:

The name-dropping game is taken a bit too far in Syndicate though. It's true that AC series always made you the Forest Gump of the time period but looking at those Season Pass graphics I'm almost expecting to read that Darwin, Jack The Ripper, a random maharaja and the king of England all boarded the same Orient Express and you're the freaking train conductor.

would play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

I take it you've not finished it then :v:

• Locked thread