Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Blue Star posted:

Bunch of whiny white boys who are mad that they can't make sexist, racist, and homophobic jokes anymore. That's the vibe I got when I lurked there, anyway. Yeah, I'm sure the OP and others are going to say "Nuh uh we just cracking jokes, we don't care", but if you were to actually go onto those forums and read their posts, you can tell that they care deeply. Really really venomous anger towards feminists, LGBT people (especially the T), "Social Justice Warriors", etc.

We're not all white

Or all that angry

There are stickied polls on site that paint a more accurate picture of the user base.

GAPO fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Do y'all actually hate trannies or is that just like what you talk about for giggles all day every day?

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Bip Roberts posted:

Do y'all actually hate trannies or is that just like what you talk about for giggles all day every day?

Some do, some don't.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

GAPO posted:

Some do, some don't.

that's pretty sick indeed op.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
Would you say the forums have improved since last year or not, and why?

ChthonicLlama
May 15, 2007

Blue Star posted:

Bunch of whiny white boys who are mad that they can't make sexist, racist, and homophobic jokes anymore. That's the vibe I got when I lurked there, anyway. Yeah, I'm sure the OP and others are going to say "Nuh uh we just cracking jokes, we don't care", but if you were to actually go onto those forums and read their posts, you can tell that they care deeply. Really really venomous anger towards feminists, LGBT people (especially the T), "Social Justice Warriors", etc.

Qft

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

EasternBronze posted:

Would you say the forums have improved since last year or not, and why?

Yeah, I'd say so. Relaxing the rules in GBS has been good. And a lot of the worst offenders in terms of heavy handed/SJW moderation are gone. Traffic is still declining, though.

There is definitely disagreement on SoSe about this, but I give Lowtax credit for GBS 2.1, and for refusing to be bullied in the troon thread.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

TouchyMcFeely posted:

As someone who has no idea about what something sensitive is, can you give a brief rundown of where it came from and why there is apparently so much beef between there and here?

Something Sensitive is one of the many iterations of SASS, AKA the Something Awful Sycophant Squad. It was started by Weev. Not sure why, but it seems that almost since the inception of SA, there has been an offsite that mocked it.

Weev deleted in in I think 2008 in a fit of probably drugs.

SASS poster and former goon Hangly Man then started The New Effort. He envisioned it as a SASS like forum, but also as a place for serious discussion of politics and religious thought. TNE was jokingly referred to as Hangly's Orthodox Tea Room. Still, there were several OG SASSers there.

Hangly deleted TNE in a fit of...something. When he did, I started a forum at Lefora where we could regroup until we found permanent digs.

When SoSe was launched, there were about 25 SASS drifters and TNE expats.

I don't know why the original SASS was started, I wasn't around then. Ask Weev. One of the original SASS admins, Hightax, said that SASS was intended to be a supplement to SA, rather than a reolacement. I try to ensure that such is the case. And as easy as it is to laugh off the gross oversimplification of "white boys mad that they can't tell friend of the family jokes", it's somewhat true in that SoSe is a place where users can comment on SA threads, posters and even mods in a lightly moderated environment.

Keep the questions coming. I'm gonna spend some time with my wife now. I'll answer some more questions in the morning.

GAPO fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 4, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Which forum is mentally unhealthier?

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Which forum is mentally unhealthier?

We mock the insane, SA encourages them to take a trip to the Thai province of Lop Dong. Also, our mental illness is cheaper and more efficient. You be the judge!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So is SA too extreme, or not extreme enough in its abuse of others?

Bondage
Jun 9, 2008

by Ralp

Are you implying that Something Sensitive went to far when it outed Aatrek?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

How do you folks feel about Anita Sarkeesian?

e: What is Something Sensitive's favorite anime?

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Bip Roberts posted:

Yeah, this strikes me as odd too. Do you guys see them as a symptom/symbol of social decay or something? Because all in all, they're a pretty obscure & harmless minority to have such strong feelings about.

e: I realize that you can't speak for everyone, but p much everything I've read on your site (badly addicted to forums drama, of all things :( ) seems to indicate that the general consensus over there is trans=bad. Do you have any insight into why that is?

Faux-Ass Nonsense fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 4, 2014

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
Do you have any agents, active mods who feed you inside scoops?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
What is the point of doxxing?

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Why is it called "something sensitive"

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Bit of both- too extreme in its abuse of "wrongthinkers", not extreme enough in its abuse of mockable nut jobs.

GAPO fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 4, 2014

BUTT PIPE
Oct 11, 2012

GAPO posted:

We're not all white

Or all that angry

There are stickied polls on site that paint a more accurate picture of the user base.

How can you be sure? It's pretty pathetic to imagine somebody actually doing it, but it's not like it would be difficult to lie about your race on the Internet.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Morkyz posted:

Why is it called "something sensitive"

I wanted to call it "Something Wonderful" or simply SASS, but both are taken. "Something Sensitive" is a joke people used to make around here when people complained about non-PC jokes or statements. They'd say, "Welcome to Something Sensitive". So, as "Something Awful" became PC, I thought it would be funny to call the non-PC version "Something Sensitive". It made sense and has a bit of SA history to it.

I've been answering most of these myself, but I shouldn't speak for the forums as a whole, so I am soliciting further answers from the site. SS, I mean.

GAPO fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 4, 2014

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

BUTT PIPE posted:

How can you be sure? It's pretty pathetic to imagine somebody actually doing it, but it's not like it would be difficult to lie about your race on the Internet.

Of course it would, and people have, on SS as well as SA (I heard SedanChair just got outed as a white guy pretending to be black). The main reason I believe most of them so far is I haven't had any one pretending to be black/gay/female in an obvious attempt to get a rise out of us. We have a couple of Hispanic posters (from the old SASS days, their race is well established). We have a couple of black posters. I think one split though. We had a transwoman who was well liked. Haven't seen him around in a while though. And while it may seem callow to "misgender" him, he really didn't seem to get hung up on it. And it wasn't a topic of conversation after his first few visits. He just became one of the guys. One of the guys who wanted to become a woman, but one of the guys nonetheless. One of our admins is Asian. There's a Pacific Islander running around somewhere.

I know we have at least one male poster who pretends ro be a female. I dunno why.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Anyone is allowed to go post there if you like. It might not be for you and people are allowed to call you names. I post there because its fun to make fun of some goons without getting probated or banned and its definitely way more relaxed. You also dont have to be banned or probated to post there which apparently a lot of people seem to believe.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp
Answers from SSers:

[quote author="Cantankerous Old friend of the family"]

Nessus posted:

How do you folks feel about Anita Sarkeesian?
About the same way I feel about PT Barnum. I admire a good scam artist when I see one. :reagan:

quote:

e: What is Something Sensitive's favorite anime?
I am an adult that already plays video games; I draw my line at cartoons. Though, growing up I really did like Fist of the North Star.

Lord Windy posted:

Ask yourselves that. It's not as if SA Goons have been above this either, even recently.

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

Yeah, this strikes me as odd too. Do you guys see them as a symptom/symbol of social decay or something? Because all in all, they're a pretty obscure & harmless minority to have such strong feelings about.

e: I realize that you can't speak for everyone, but p much everything I've read on your site (badly addicted to forums drama, of all things :( ) seems to indicate that the general consensus over there is trans=bad. Do you have any insight into why that is?
I'm cool with transgendered individuals, totally. An old friend of mine turned out that way and "she" is a dearly close individual to me. I still keep in contact with her. I actually met her in the Army when she still responded to "He" as a pronoun. He was the most hooah-hooah bad rear end motherfucker you'd ever met. We were both 11-Mikes and we were good buddies for that first contract.

We stayed in contact and even started gaming together until he finally worked up the courage to tell me how he felt about his own self image. She told me I didn't need to refer to her by female pronouns, but I do so because she's/he's never done anything to slight me and was always there when I needed him/her.

The larger "problem" SS'rs have with the transgendered individuals on SA (at least from my observations, I could be wrong of course) has nothing really to do with them being transgendered; it has everything to do with them being complete loving losers looking to drop their baggage on others. Everyone else is at fault except for them. We could be posting with the most non-threatening newspeak babble that is in vogue for SA'rs and any dissent would still be strawmanned into oblivion by these retards.

Some people don't like shut-in know-it-alls preaching on how to lead the world into the light while having absolutely no experience, not recognizing the shortcomings of their ideas, and even being complete hypocrites.
[/quote]

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp
I dunno what is up with multi quote here but here is another SSer's answer:

[quote author="Shmorky In Seoul"]

Lord Windy posted:

I personally don't doxx people, but I do read all of them. I just find it funny, honestly. It's like, these people try to be so cool and they try to present this carefully crafted image online, and it's just kind of funny to see that these people don't have a lot going for them in real life. It wouldn't be as funny if 99% of the mods weren't so smug about their e-persona.

I'll try to put it in terms anyone can understand. Look at Abe. He acted like a total dickbag to users on the forum and basically had the mentality of a middle school bully. You know how the bully singles one kid out and goes, "Let's all laugh at this guy!" that's sort of how Abe moderated something awful with his wacky mod challanges and poo poo like that. It's just kind of funny to know that he doesn't have a lot going on in his life and gets in internet slapfights with 12-year-olds on Twitter the same way it's funny to see that middle-school bully slip and fall on his rear end on some ice or something. Even if you're not the one getting bullied, I don't think Abe ever said two words to me on SA, you're still going to laugh because you know this guy is a dick head. You know how the audience likes to see the movie villain get knocked off his high horse? It's kind of like that.

That being said, I 100% do not believe in interfering with people's real life off the internet, and I think most people here feel the same way.
[/quote]

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Lord Windy posted:

For me, it's the ultimate form of mod sass. It's a way of saying that the people who moderate SA will themselves be held to certain standards by the paying customer base of this site. And if we can't do it here, we can do it from over there.

It's a way of rebelling against the idea that someone who maintains a blog that no one reads is the arbiter of funny on a comedy website.

Not picking on Woodchuck, but he is a good example. Who looked at his unread blog and thought, " now this guy knows funny"?

Doxxing is a way for users to say, "If you're going to watch over us, deciding what is and isn't funny, or looking for misogyny and racism in our posts, we'd prefer you don't write rape and incest fiction, or have a child rape conviction on your record, or at the very least that you be funny or interesting yourself."

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp
I think that because doxxing is what we have a rep for, it deserves a more thorough explanation.

We have rules against irl contact or harassment. As a site, we think letting the internet bleed over into real life is retarded.

We arrived at the current "look but don't touch" doxxing rules through a series of internal conflicts. There is always going to be a contingent if people who think there should be no limits. But one of the things we rail against as a site is people's political, religious or social opinions being used to wreck their personal and/or professional lives by SJWs. Our goal is to torpedo people's e-cred, not their jobs or lives. This is partly because e-cred is so ridiculously important to many of these people, and partly because, as I already stated, letting the internet bleed over I to real life is loving retarded.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp
More answers from SS:

[quote author="Slacktivist"]
I first found SS during the Calietron thing where if you questioned the authenticity of her "gangster asian teenager enforcer who skipped 6 grades and double-majored in college while reluctantly accepting her parole officer as a father figure also we assassinated people with loving poison-filled syringes" you earned a month probate or a ban. Here it is part of the laughapalooza.

There you go. That is the main difference. You can call a spade a spade and have an honest discussion without worrying that you're offending a gas station attendant or a sperg with an internet forum vendetta list.

quote:

Anita Sarkeesian

Professional scam artist and "victim." I think there are problems in most popular media where "woman character" is shorthand for plot victim, romance option or fan wank material, pick one. I also think that things gradually get better, were never that bad in the first place and the best cure is to just put more solid characters in good games out there. Instead SJWs gave 6 digits of free money and then some to a snake oil salesman. And surprise surprise, she gave you snake oil.

"Name 3 videogames."

"Lol no thanks"

Beyond Good and Evil, Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness. Wowzers three games staring strong independent women who aren't Tomb Raider'd. From 10 years ago even. W-woah is this guy a sperg with memorization autism? No I actually played those games casually for recreation. More than can be said for Anita who was given money to buy games to review for her grand thesis... and she decided, you know what? Too much effort. I mean I want to change videogames but who has time to play them?

That strawman of the feminist who is mad about comics/videogames, gets them changed and then shrugs and says "I DIDN'T PLAY/READ THEM ANYWAY!"? Anita is that by her own admission. And hell I'm not even some nerd with his hand in for gamergate. I outright admire what an amazing con it is.

quote:

Really really venomous anger towards feminists, LGBT people (especially the T), "Social Justice Warriors", etc.

I think feminists and SJWs at their core are correct. It's a big part of why the message spreads at all. Who hears "hey racism is wrong so be less racist and we'll be a more enlightened society" or "be a decent dude to women" and disagrees with that in a void?

But these days SJWs and a lot of feminists are cowards. They want to slay paper tigers while ignoring the real ones. They want to police videogames instead of helping women living as literal cattle in 3rd world countries. You can "raise awareness" by reading blogs and retweeting poo poo all day. If you wanted to tangle with Islam not only will you be dealing with people who might send things your way that aren't angry words but you'll even be eaten alive by other SJWs for it. You don't even have to go that hard. I notice the vast majority of SJW types on SA are afraid to leave their house, let alone get out there and volunteer at a soup kitchen or something.

888 why SJWs suck: I think it's really hosed up that you can organize an internet wide black-out and black list for gamergate to defend a lazy liar or drop 6 digits on some con artist but the idea of putting in real time and effort to actually improve somebody's life for even an afternoon is too much trouble.

As for trannies I don't care but you see stuff like the SA tranny thread and it's a really harmful group mentality that tries to assimilate anyone who comes in on the fence instead of offering them real help. There's probably a crazy percentage of trans folks who would've started enjoying life again if they took control of their life instead of trusting that growing a pair of bad tits and putting on a dollar store wig would magically reinvent themselves. poo poo, the thing that bothered me the most about the DoubtFire reveal was that dude blew off a chance at happiness to play princess.

Here's what I said about it in the thread itself, as you can see I laughed my rear end off but then considered Fire as a human being for a second.

quote:

I'd legit have preferred that dude stayed a dude and got married. This thread is full of hearty and well-deserved lols and I've had a few myself but at the end of the day it's just tragic idiocy.

Fire you weren't some hopeless gamma male sitting on the internet trying to bridge the gap between 350 and 400 lbs while hugging your anime waifu pillow. You were engaged to a real girl who was as excited as you were to put those final fantasy character sprite tiles on the wall. SS isn't some hive of sinister sneering racists rubbing their hands together and cackling as they watch you suffer like a bunch of dick dastardlies. We're laughing our asses off because you did all of this to yourself. And you deserved to marry that girl and be goofy goony fucks together and you'd be silly fucks we'd make fun of but that's OK because you'd be happy with her. It's sad that it sounds like poo poo is too late though, if there was any possibility you could drop the wigs, cut off the couple that pushed you down this path and get that girl back I'd scream at you do to it.

You know, there's a million fine looking women in the world, dude. But they don't all bring you lasagna at work.
[/quote]

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
How do you justify doxing? I don't see how doxing Woodchuck for a stupid, unread blog with insane opinions would justify harassment. It might be a waste of time, but how is it hurting anyone if SASS members are the only ones reading it? I mean, I just don't see how one person's internet paragraphs, on a completely different website effects Something Awful. Sorta one of those situations where he's just over there yelling at a wall. If you just ignore him, he won't even turn around to look at you.

Abe was a given. He took part in mocking a 13 year old on Twitter by creeping his Facebook, posting his picture and either him or the crazy "look at me!" rape victim he was teaming up with made a comment about his prepubescent penis. (I forget which one of them made the dick comment but either way, gently caress anyone who associates with anyone who makes comments about a child's penis.) I know you guys have rules about not crossing the line into "real life" but that poo poo was completely hosed up and I wouldn't have batted an eyelash had you called the police, his employer, his family, etc. There's no excuse for grown man to be making comments about a child's penis over an internet slapfight.

But basically, when do you say "That's it, this rear end in a top hat is getting doxxed!" or decide that "no, they aren't enough of a prick to warrant a doxing."

liquorlanche fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 4, 2014

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

jalopybrown posted:

Do you have any agents, active mods who feed you inside scoops?

Well if we did, we couldn't really talk about it.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

liquorlanche posted:

How do you justify doxing? I don't see how doxing Woodchuck for a stupid, unread blog with insane opinions would justify harassment. It might be a waste of time, but how is it hurting anyone if SASS members are the only ones reading it?

Abe was a given. He took part in mocking a 13 year old on Twitter by creeping his Facebook, posting his picture and either him or the crazy "look at me!" rape victim he was teaming up with made a comment about his prepubescent penis. I know you guys have rules about not crossing the line into "real life" but that poo poo was completely hosed up and I wouldn't have batted an eyelash had you called the police, his employer, his family, etc. There's no excuse for grown man to be making comments about a child's penis over an internet slapfight.

Well, for one thing, the harassment of Abe, as far as we can tell, was spearheaded by 4chan after raspy, a goon, signal boosted it over there (he has admitted it).

As far as Woodchuck, I don't know of anyone "harassing" him beyond maybe putting some comments on his blog(finally). I do feel bad because he is mistakenly credited with writing that huge, perverse Duck Tales fanfiction. I did contact the actual author and encourage him to take credit for it on both SA and SS, which he did, but most people actually think Woodchuck wrote that. Sorry, man, I tried.

We do have "rules" concerning doxxing and it's limits on the site. Are there times when we overstepped boundaries? Sure. The rules we have implemented are an attempt to prevent that from happening again, to whatever extent that is possible. For a couple of reasons. One, it's not right to harass people IRL, and two, I want to maintain as unassailable a position if possible, because SA is already primed to believe the party line that we just love to get people fired or threaten to rape and murder them. SS has become kind of a boogeyman, a "Keyser SoSe",if you will, which is sometimes hilarious and sometimes frustrating.

As far as deciding who gets doxxed, it's kind of a group concensus. In general, if you have a lot of bans and probation given out for stupid poo poo, or if you have an obvious SJW agenda which you shoehorn into every thread, you are at risk. Oh, and hypocrites are a favorite target.

One thing that might surprise people is that we actually don't use a lot of the info we are given or that we find. Either it's too personal and creepy(we usually can't use someone's exact GPS coordinates but thanks I guess) or doesn't really have any sex appeal. We recently we given a ton of info anonymously by one goon about a GBS superstar. But we don't have any particular beef with the goon in question, so we thanked the tipster and left it alone.

GAPO fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 4, 2014

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

GAPO posted:

Well if we did, we couldn't really talk about it.

Sure you couldn't outright state that kewpuh or whoever was your inside man but you could just confirm one exists, stir up a little fear and distrust in the mods

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

When are you gonna drop a new dox.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

jalopybrown posted:

Sure you couldn't outright state that kewpuh or whoever was your inside man but you could just confirm one exists, stir up a little fear and distrust in the mods

We have posted screen caps from the mod forum in the past.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Nessus posted:

What is Something Sensitive's favorite anime?

My favorite anime is one that I can watch without being put on a special government list.

I'm off to work, see y'all later. There are some great responses coming from our side, I'll post some more on my lunch hour or something.

Hats off to Slo-Tek and Grand Frommage for allowing this thread.

GAPO fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 4, 2014

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
These badges y'all have seem kinda nifty. If, hypothetically, a person was to join SS and drive another poster to suicide - we'll call this hypothetical dead poster "Missile" - would there be any kind of badge available for such a feat?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Which forum do you think is more generally delusional?

As someone who really does not care about internet drama at all or getting off by feeling like I'm thumbing my nose at imaginary PC police, what would compel me to post on SS?

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Disgusting Coward posted:

These badges y'all have seem kinda nifty. If, hypothetically, a person was to join SS and drive another poster to suicide - we'll call this hypothetical dead poster "Missile" - would there be any kind of badge available for such a feat?

That made me laugh. Also, Missile please come back.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Which forum do you think is more generally delusional?

As someone who really does not care about internet drama at all or getting off by feeling like I'm thumbing my nose at imaginary PC police, what would compel me to post on SS?

Depends. As one of the more moderate SSers, I find white supremacists who shout about the Zionist Conspiracy as laughable as most troons (but not as pitiable). As far as what would compel anyone to post on SS, I hope it would be the humor. Racial and social politics aside, one of the funniest things I ever read on SS....This had me literally crying...was in our chat box. The subject of people born with extra limbs and even heads was being discussed. There were the obligatory sex jokes, then someone, I don't remember who, said, "If I had a second head I would mess with it by pretending to drink bleach then when it fell asleep I would actually drink it because why even live"....

GAPO fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 4, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Can you articulate any other reason I may want to post there or even lurk once in a while? Last time I saw any incarnation of the site it was just posters with massive avatars and signatures posting racial slurs at each other rapid fire which didn't distinguish it in my mind from hundreds of other low traffic forums.

Is it really just as simple as "I think low effort schoolyard insults are funny"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Can you articulate any other reason I may want to post there or even lurk once in a while? Last time I saw any incarnation of the site it was just posters with massive avatars and signatures posting racial slurs at each other rapid fire which didn't distinguish it in my mind from hundreds of other low traffic forums.

Is it really just as simple as "I think low effort schoolyard insults are funny"?

Like I said in the OP, most goons should not post or lurk there. Sounds like you're no exception.

I mean, if you want me to justify for you why you should read a site that doesn't appeal to you, I cant.

GAPO fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 4, 2014

• Locked thread