Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

GAPO posted:

Maybe that one went too far. Some people wanted to hold Finn to account because they knew he wasn't with all the skeleton poo poo, but did nothing to stop it.

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

As an admin he could have told the cat lady mods to chill out when he had the chance.

This is what I meant by prevailing ideology. Of course your site has one, it would be very difficult for any forum to be actually 'moderate' and downright impossible for one like SS to be.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

What impact does it have on the world if the moderation of Something Awful improves? Whose lives are made better, and how? Or are we still stuck it "it's internet funny/it's a good deed" conflict?

Pokemons don't have any impact or point either but if people want to make forums dedicated to talking about them I don't think they need to explain themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Better post his home address and phone number!

ya we dont really do that, crazy dude

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

The fact that this thread went six pages without being gassed and now a mod shows up to say it's a bad thread: is this an example of excessive moderation?

So in fighting groupthink, you shame someone's real life for having a different opinion?

1. I dunno. It lasted longer than I thought, but if it devolves into stupid back and forth bullsgit instead of ask/tell, maybe it deserves to be shot behind the chemical shed.

2. In my opinion, we could have done without the personal life stuff on Finn. That's just my opinion, maybe not the opinion of SS or Doxxnet.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Maarek posted:

This is what I meant by prevailing ideology. Of course your site has one, it would be very difficult for any forum to be actually 'moderate' and downright impossible for one like SS to be.

Pokemons don't have any impact or point either but if people want to make forums dedicated to talking about them I don't think they need to explain themselves.

our "ideology" is that people should be able to just post without some deviant running up slapping tape over your mouth and take ten bucks. You need to free your mind to the possibility that people shouldnt be punished for typing poo poo on the internet. like you really cant frame it as anything other than strict moderation at all times and its weird to me.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

our "ideology" is that people should be able to just post without some deviant running up slapping tape over your mouth and take ten bucks. You need to free your mind to the possibility that people shouldnt be punished for typing poo poo on the internet.

Except when we post your personal details for having opinions we don't like. This whole 'free speech' thing falls flat when you make exceptions left and right for people who made you angry.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

GAPO posted:

2. In my opinion, we could have done without the personal life stuff on Finn. That's just my opinion, maybe not the opinion of SS or Doxxnet.

I agree plus it was just a weak doxx period, his life is just sad not like hilarious

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Yuriy posted:

You have probated dozens of people funnier and more productive than you for not using the shift key and you are one of the less bad mods

Maybe your discretion of what is lovely and isn't is flawed imo

this is a lovely thread

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
Hmm well to actually ask a question instead of rise up and proclaim how beneath me all of this is :smug:

Gapo, do you ever see SS branching out from a "forum about a forum" into its own little platform, or would you be directly opposed to that?

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Better post his home address and phone number!

Neither of those things happened. Finn did advocate the doxxing of Honda Rider, though.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Yuriy posted:

You have probated dozens of people funnier and more productive than you for not using the shift key and you are one of the less bad mods

Maybe your discretion of what is lovely and isn't is flawed imo

you also reported people so much that you actually got probated for generating so many reports

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014

our "ideology" is that people should be able to just post without some deviant running up slapping tape over your mouth and take ten bucks. You need to free your mind to the possibility that people shouldnt be punished for typing poo poo on the internet. like you really cant frame it as anything other than strict moderation at all times and its weird to me.

This is what I've been getting at.

GAPO posted:

1. I dunno. It lasted longer than I thought, but if it devolves into stupid back and forth bullsgit instead of ask/tell, maybe it deserves to be shot behind the chemical shed.

Why would this thread deserve to be gassed? It's provided quite a bit of insight, sparked controversy/debate and generated views/attention. That's the mark of a successful internet thread. This is the issue with SA. They're willing to gas perfectly successful threads over personal reasons.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

EasternBronze posted:

Hmm well to actually ask a question instead of rise up and proclaim how beneath me all of this is :smug:

Gapo, do you ever see SS branching out from a "forum about a forum" into its own little platform, or would you be directly opposed to that?

As I said previously, I think this SS lives and dies with SA. Not everyone on SS thinks so. I don't know if I'd be willing to put the time and effort in to redirect the site. But if someone else wanted to do it, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

liquorlanche posted:

They're willing to gas perfectly successful threads over personal reasons.

Too bad this thread got gassed before we could post in it.

EasternBronze posted:

Is your goal here to have the most posts about a pointless topic in a thread you don't care about?

To be honest I know the SS folks are reading this thread and getting upset over things I'm saying, while I'll never visit their forum. They're going out of their way to find things to get upset about on the internet. That's funny.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

You need to free your mind to the possibility that people shouldnt be punished for typing poo poo on the internet.

Despite being a free speech haven that allows people to say almost whatever they want, your forum is full of a lot of like minded people. You don't seem to get that what I am saying is that your forum does have an ideology even if it isn't enforced by the people running it. What is weird to me, and why I keep bringing it up, is that I think it seems super obvious to an outside person but that the people who post there don't seem to realize/believe it.

It would be like if someone in D&D said that it was forum of moderate people without any prevailing ideology. That would be total horse poo poo, D&D is liberal as hell.

Kewpuh posted:

you also reported people so much that you actually got probated for generating so many reports

A shameful poster.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

liquorlanche posted:

Why would this thread deserve to be gassed? It's provided quite a bit of insight, sparked controversy/debate and generated views/attention. That's the mark of a successful internet thread. This is the issue with SA. They're willing to gas perfectly successful threads over personal reasons.

Yeah I had a mod tell me once when they were thinking of gassing a promising thread, "This isn't a meritocracy." Um, if you're not going to let a thread's merit or popularity decide it's fate, what metric do you use? Whether some friendless power tripping nerd likes it?

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Too bad this thread got gassed before we could post in it.

To be honest I know the SS folks are reading this thread and getting upset over things I'm saying, while I'll never visit their forum. They're going out of their way to find things to get upset about on the internet. That's funny.

You really do think everything revolves around you...your self - centeredness is glaringly obvious.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Maarek posted:

It would be like if someone in D&D said that it was forum of moderate people without any prevailing ideology. That would be total horse poo poo, D&D is liberal as hell.

What makes D&D better than SS is that D&D is aware of its biases and revels in them. SS is how D&D was in the 2005 McCaine era, only they make a point of not filtering out dumb posts and hold that up as an advantage.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

You won't visit SS yet you have very strong opinions about it?

ryan8723
May 18, 2004

Trust me, I read it on TexAgs.
Also, SS is full of people who constantly workout so twinks and hambeasts are probably not going to fit in there well either. The quota has already been met for those roles.

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014

Maarek posted:

Despite being a free speech haven that allows people to say almost whatever they want, your forum is full of a lot of like minded people. You don't seem to get that what I am saying is that your forum does have an ideology even if it isn't enforced by the people running it. What is weird to me, and why I keep bringing it up, is that I think it seems super obvious to an outside person but that the people who post there don't seem to realize/believe it.

A shameful poster.

Literally the only reason I defend their site is because they don't ban/probate people for going against their ideology. I think their ideology is absolute poo poo. I've been in disagreement with everything I've seen there, but I'm annoyed by the fact that we're denied the opportunity to poo poo all over it, because they can't post here, without getting banned/probated for voicing their lovely opinions.

We need to make fun of lovely opinions, not ban them. It's the fun/funny thing to do.

Bondage
Jun 9, 2008

by Ralp
This is a shameful thread for allowing the supercilious, indignant posts of Thug Drink and Effectronica derail it. Thug you have proven how much SS is hypocritical and everything by posting 20x in this thread. We get your point. Thank you for your service.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp
You can report posts on SS, buy I ignore every report. I always have. Sometimes a user will PM me about NWS, or someone disrupting chat, so I'll do something about it, but I just can't imagine seeing that someone has reported a post or a thread and giving a poo poo about it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dogbrisket posted:

You won't visit SS yet you have very strong opinions about it?

If it's anything similar to it's predecessors I've been mentioned multiple times over there and probably even quoted, just for talking bad about them, despite having no presence or notoriety here at all worthy of being taken down a peg. It's just a secret obscure club for people who hate losing arguments on the internet.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Kewpuh posted:

Yea, I did 3 years ago when I still played vidya games and gave a poo poo about what autists on the internet had to say about them

People change, just like how you became a more tolerable moderator when you stopped probating for stupid poo poo

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Maarek posted:

A shameful poster.

I think what you're observing is that a large portion of those who have been either 1) outright banned or 2) left due to the...inhospitality..of the "discussion" are generally moderate to right of center with corresponding political/cultural leanings. The ideology you're observing is probably more due to the reality that those with an axe to grind have been selected by the SA community from a relatively specific pool of posters in the first place. That there'd be a fair amount of shared opinion between them is not surprising.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

liquorlanche posted:

But no-one gassed this thread :confused:

What are you even complaining about?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

treeboy posted:

The ideology you're observing is probably more due to the reality that those with an axe to grind have been selected by the SA community from a relatively specific pool of posters in the first place. That there'd be a fair amount of shared opinion between them is not surprising.

Kinda shoots that whole 'groupthink' argument in the face.

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014

Shelf Adventure posted:

But no-one gassed this thread :confused:

What are you even complaining about?

The other funny/successful threads that get gassed because mods have personal feelings about the topics of discussion.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Yuriy posted:

Yea, I did 3 years ago when I still played vidya games and gave a poo poo about what autists on the internet had to say about them

People change, just like how you became a more tolerable moderator when you stopped probating for stupid poo poo

you got so angry that you reported people dozens of times a day and now you get so angry that you post on a forum about a forum

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Yuriy posted:

Haha you reporting human being please PM me your SS user name so I can ban you

Bondage
Jun 9, 2008

by Ralp

The difference being that on SS you can argue whichever side you like without fear of being banned or probated (unlike D&D) as long as you stand by your guns. Also as long as you don't criticize Reagan or Evola, but that's just common sense

Bondage fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 4, 2014

Mercykiller
Oct 22, 2009

The problem is I don't care about who mods this forum that I choose to post on. It's just not a thing that I think about really ever. So why do you care so much?

And yet you've got almost a page worth of ad hominem arguments about it in this thread alone.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Except one group has to enforce its ideology with increasingly severe punitive measures while the other welcomes dissent but reserves the right to vociferously mock stupid ideas.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bondage posted:

The difference being that on SS you can argue whichever side you like without fear of being banned or probated (unlike D&D) as long as you stand by your guns.

Yes, now we can truly live without fear of being temporarily prohibited from posting, on an internet forum. This is what Soldiers died for.

lol

treeboy posted:

Except one group has to enforce its ideology with increasingly severe punitive measures while the other welcomes dissent but reserves the right to vociferously mock stupid ideas.

I'd rather be banned than doxxed.

I dont think SA has an ideology except 'don't be a giant rear end in a top hat to other people'.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Bondage posted:

This is a shameful thread for allowing the supercilious, indignant posts of Thug Drink and Effectronica derail it. Thug you have proven how much SS is hypocritical and everything by posting 20x in this thread. We get your point. Thank you for your service.

This really speaks to how little people really value "free speech". What SS, or people sympathetic to it want is about identical to what LF offsites want for free speech- you can post freely about the right topics, get dogpiled for having the wrong opinions or talking about the wrong topics, and eventually get banned for being the wrong person. This is hardly much of an improvement over where things stand if you value free speech.

YourHealthyColon
Nov 21, 2013
are yuriy et al typical somethingsensitive members because they make the place seem incredibly unchill and unfun

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Effectronica posted:

This really speaks to how little people really value "free speech". What SS, or people sympathetic to it want is about identical to what LF offsites want for free speech- you can post freely about the right topics, get dogpiled for having the wrong opinions or talking about the wrong topics, and eventually get banned for being the wrong person. This is hardly much of an improvement over where things stand if you value free speech.

You obviously haven't seen me argue that the Jews aren't all controlling lizard people on SS, no one has ever been banned for wrongthink on SS. No matter how "liberal". There are plenty of voices of opposition, but to be banned you basically have to be Dr. Casio. Or make fun of my lawn.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

YourHealthyColon posted:

are yuriy et al typical somethingsensitive members because they make the place seem incredibly unchill and unfun

Yuriy is actually one of the most chill and pleasant SSers

ryan8723
May 18, 2004

Trust me, I read it on TexAgs.

YourHealthyColon posted:

Well I guess if you consider a hugbox where no one can say mean things to be fun the sure I guess it's unfun :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

GAPO posted:

You obviously haven't seen me argue that the a Jews aren't all controlling lizard people on SS, no one has ever been banned for wrongthink on SS. No matter how "liberal".

That's not what I said. I'm pretty sure that Zeitguiest or Fire or Ozma or whoever, assuming they were dumb and/or ballsy enough to register over there, would be eventually banned, but what I'm talking about is dogpiling. Certain ideas or beliefs are acceptable to you and the average person who posts there, and certain are too ridiculous to be taken seriously, and no moderation to step in means that the "wrong" ideas would get you dogpiled. Like, if we take what you're saying seriously, we could just remove all mods from D&D and it would immediately become a good forum and completely tolerant to all ideas.

• Locked thread