Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014

Popular Thug Drink posted:

When my dog is outside barking in my yard for no reason, I don't let him bark. I put him inside, for the comfort of my neighbors. This is not an unfair violation of the dog's rights.

The analogy makes -10 sense. Like, it goes out of it's way to be completely and utterly non-relatable towards the act of silencing someone for disagreeing with the majority.

Nobody is saying that being banned for wrongthink is a violation of anyone's rights. The mods can ban anyone, at any time, for any reason and it's their product/their right to do so, if they please. The only point people are trying to make is that banning anyone, at any time, for any reason might not be a good idea if you're looking to keep the customer base consistent.

liquorlanche fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

When my dog is outside barking in my yard for no reason, I don't let him bark. I put him inside, for the comfort of my neighbors. This is not an unfair violation of the dog's rights.

Where were you going with this, exactly?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

liquorlanche posted:

Hahahaha! You just wanna keep this place lovely, don't you?

Why would I want to? Am I a crypto-SJW just looking for an echo chamber?

nickutz posted:

Where were you going with this, exactly?

The metaphor is that not everything someone has to say is worth hearing or worth protecting. It's easy to say that you're being unfairly muzzled for unpopular speech but the very person saying this is unlikely to consider that they're being a horses' rear end.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
I honestly never really see probations for *just* lovely opinions. I see a lot of dog piling, but not probations. Especially in GBS.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shelf Adventure posted:

I honestly never really see probations for *just* lovely opinions. I see a lot of dog piling, but not probations. Especially in GBS.

Yeah, I most often see unpopular opinions get 'punished' via red titles. Having an unpopular opinion isn't against the rules, as much as the unpopular opinion haver would like to claim so. It seems to me a way to deflect criticism as to the repercussions of one's own idiocy.

Another question - Why have an account on SA and SS at the same time? Isn't that a bit hypocritical, if SA is such a hellscape of political correctness and worthless posts?

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

The metaphor is that not everything someone has to say is worth hearing or worth protecting.

You've pre-judged some ideas to be valid and some not? Do you not understand how this is contrary to facilitating an open discussion?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dogbrisket posted:

You've pre-judged some ideas to be valid and some not? Do you not understand how this is contrary to facilitating an open discussion?

Where did I prejudge anything? I said it's possible that some opinions aren't worth the breath they took to say. This is not an assault on free speech, it's a statement that sometimes people talk without saying anything of value. Have you never heard someone speak and realized they weren't saying anything useful at all?

What opinions have I prejudged to be invalid?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Weird, normally comparing people I don't like with subhuman animals is something I do over at SS

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014

it's possible that some opinions aren't worth the breath they took to say.

Who makes this judgement? You? A real life pedophile? The mentally insane? Because it's certainly not the general SA userbase as evidenced by the massive decline in numbers.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

liquorlanche posted:

Who makes this judgement? You? A real life pedophile? The mentally insane? Because it's certainly not the general SA userbase as evidenced by the massive decline in numbers.

So why do you still post here, if the moderation is so insufferable? Doesn't it undercut your argument that you continue to pay for new accounts? Is your voluntary payment for an account on an internet forum a statement in support of free speech?

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

I'm not exactly a fan of SS but lol if you think that's even remotely equivalent.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

So why do you still post here, if the moderation is so insufferable? Doesn't it undercut your argument that you continue to pay for new accounts? Is your voluntary payment for an account on an internet forum a statement in support of free speech?

Some forums are readable, like PSP-MMA because FatherDog probates/bans like one person a year

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014

Making arguments on how I think this place could be better doesn't mean I actively hate it here. I just think it's not as fun as it used to be and I'm sure I'm not the only one, with that opinion.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

liquorlanche posted:

Making arguments on why something could be better doesn't mean I actively hate it or don't wanna be around.

Sure, but it does at least indicate you're not willing to back up your words with actions. Complaining about a service but continuing to purchase that service just empowers the people you dislike to ignore you. It renders the whole point impotent, which is especially funny given that a big complaint of the SSers is how SA is just a fading echo chamber where people complain fruitlessly on the internet, about the internet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What is the status of relations between SS and night crew

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014

Sure, but it does at least indicate you're not willing to back up your words with actions.

What words with what actions? It's like I dropped my suggestion in the comment's box and you're reply is "Well, if you don't like it, don't use the product!"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

liquorlanche posted:

What words with what actions? It's like I dropped my suggestion in the comment's box and you're reply is "Well, if you don't like it, don't use the product!"

Well yeah. SA can't be that bad if even the people who whine about how bad it is keep posting here. Especially when you have to go out of your way and spend money to post here.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Nessus posted:

What is the status of relations between SS and night crew

We don't like the animes, ironic or otherwise

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
Has the site always been racist and reactionary or did it originally start out as just a forum complaining about bad mods and admins? I don't remember poo poo like this on the old SASS, but it's pretty much universal on your site.

I guess my second question is if you understand that it is necessary for people to be able to criticize bad/crazy mods and admins but that has absolutely nothing to do with not being allowed to call the President's wife a friend of the family? Having a forum dedicated to making fun of SA that's full of white supremacist weirdos is kind of like having an Angelina Jolie fan site where everyone really hates Chinese people. What does one have to do with the other?

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Well yeah. SA can't be that bad if even the people who whine about how bad it is keep posting here. Especially when you have to go out of your way and spend money to post here.

To be fair, lost of SA members have old accounts that predate the serious decline of the forums. There's no ongoing cost to use the forums unless you get yourself banned, and there are a few bright spots here and there if you can avoid the bullshit.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Maarek posted:

I guess my second question is if you understand that it is necessary for people to be able to criticize bad/crazy mods and admins but that has absolutely nothing to do with not being allowed to call the President's wife a friend of the family? Having a forum dedicated to making fun of SA that's full of white supremacist weirdos is kind of like having an Angelina Jolie fan site where everyone really hates Chinese people. What does one have to do with the other?

It's about ethics in forums moderation.

Dogbrisket posted:

To be fair, lost of SA members have old accounts that predate the serious decline of the forums. There's no ongoing cost to use the forums unless you get yourself banned, and there are a few bright spots here and there if you can avoid the bullshit.

Yeah but I was asking a guy who registered less than two months ago. Honestly this forum's been all downhill since 2004, but that may be because I was a decade younger in this forum's heydey and easily confuse personal change with the changing environment around me.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Some people give feedback about goods and services they've bought, whether they are satisfied or dissatisfied. Also let me repeat: we find it funny.

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014

But you're only talking about the people who DO keep posting here. The user-base has been in decline, so clearly there are plenty of people who consider it bad enough to stop paying/posting. Just because I'm not one of those people doesn't mean they don't exist.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

I'll just assume SS just disagrees with the Fundamental Concept of Moderation as it applies to Something Awful.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yuriy posted:

We don't like the animes, ironic or otherwise
How can you be sure that your brethren are not secretly backsliding into anime ways?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Nessus posted:

How can you be sure that your brethren are not secretly backsliding into anime ways?

It's really hard to find time to watch anime between things like "jobs" and "families" and "responsibilities" and "penning essays on niggerdeath"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yuriy posted:

It's really hard to find time to watch anime between things like "jobs" and "families" and "responsibilities" and "penning essays on niggerdeath"

Is it really that likely that people who post on a forum about a forum are more busy with real life responsibility than people who just post on a forum? Kind of a weak argument.

liquorlanche posted:

But you're only talking about the people who DO keep posting here. The user-base has been in decline, so clearly there are plenty of people who consider it bad enough to stop paying/posting. Just because I'm not one of those people doesn't mean they don't exist.

That's true, but I don't think it's that likely that heavy moderation is the cause of declining userbase when the people who register that complaint continue to post on the excessively moderated forum. It makes me think other factors are more plausible, such as a general increase in the number of places where people who like to post on the internet can post.

Like if heavy moderation doesn't drive you away, and that's your specific complaint about SA, then how can you attribute that cause to others?

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 4, 2014

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Is it really that likely that people who post on a forum about a forum are more busy with real life responsibility than people who just post on a forum?

Based on the amount of hours ya'll put into steam "yes"

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

You mentioned most of SA not being suitable for SS, so what would you consider SS's target audience?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Is it really that likely that people who post on a forum about a forum are more busy with real life responsibility than people who just post on a forum? Kind of a weak argument.

It's pretty likely when you adjust for differences in anxiety and fibromyalgia disability cases between the two forums.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nickutz posted:

It's pretty likely when you adjust for differences in anxiety and fibromyalgia disability cases between the two forums.

Again not sure if you're talking about SA or SS.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Boy, you've never read e/n have you?

Sleepflower posted:

You mentioned most of SA not being suitable for SS, so what would you consider SS's target audience?

18-35 moderates who enjoy good laughs and cracking jokes without a gas station attendant or child rapist telling you what is and isn't funny via the probate button

Yuriy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 4, 2014

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Sleepflower posted:

I was more trying to drive home the point that this isn't a recruitment drive. Ideally, SS membership is made up of SA members who don't dig what has become the dominant paradigm of SA. But we do have members who have come from other places, never having posted on/read SA.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Yes you do.

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Yuriy posted:

18-35 moderates who enjoy good laughs and cracking jokes without a gas station attendant or child rapist telling you what is and isn't funny via the probate button

Well said.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yuriy posted:

Boy, you've never read e/n have you?

The forum where people are regularly mocked for their dumb life choices? I'm not sure you have an accurate perception of the current userbase of SA.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
In what way is your forum 'moderate'?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Thank you for stating a firm policy against real life harassment of people, that is really good and something people here aren't all that quick to condemn when it's someone they personally don't like instead of a forum moderator. I'm skeptical that all your users follow that guideline but I'm glad that you as an admin do what you can.

While I don't care for it when I think negativity is sowed for the sake of it, thank you for being Malcolm X to the onsite complainers' MLK Jr.

PS Your forum isn't that funny, but hell, most aren't.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 4, 2014

GAPO
Apr 24, 2014

by Ralp

Maarek posted:

In what way is your forum 'moderate'?

The forum itself leans conservative by about a two thirds majority. Some of us like myself are moderate, and some are liberal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
Do you guys think there's a significant overlap between people who have uncharitable views about minority groups and people who are successful, hard-working & well-adjusted?

• Locked thread