Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Reading is for nerds. Luckily, so is baseball. This means that there are a lot of books about baseball to read.

This thread exists to:
  • Determine what book we should pretend to read in the next two months or so (if this doesn't die we'll do it monthly through March afterwards).
  • Discuss the book in question, bring up any questions, etc.

I'd like to have the book selected by Friday, and be fake democratic so I'm open to suggestions. I'll make a poll once we have 10? Or less than that, depending on how it goes. This is the first try, afterall!

My suggestions (things I own and want to read):

Wally Yonamine: The Man Who Changed Japanese Baseball http://www.amazon.com/Wally-Yonamine-Changed-Japanese-Baseball/dp/0803213816

Jackie and Campy: The Untold Story of Their Rocky Relationship and the Breaking of Baseball's Color Line - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IFSV08A/

The Lords of the Realm - http://www.amazon.com/dp/0345465245

--

EDITED TO ADD

Cool Kids Vote Machine: http://teamnerdrage.com/2014/11/03/sas-book-club-novemberdecember-2014-book-voting/

Password is "goonygoon".

e: Voting is set to end Friday 11/7 at 11:45PM ET so if you want to think it over you have time

leokitty fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Lords of the Realm might be a good one to start with.

I assume most of the people who would be interested in such a thing have already read Glory of Their Times, but maybe make it an option anyway?

Beyond that - I guess three suggestions to throw in:

Veeck as in Wreck, if people want to read a fun autobiography by a seminal baseball figure.

Up, Up and Away, if people want to read about the Expos and line Jonah Keri's pockets.

Baseball in the Garden of Eden, because John Thorn is cool and good and the book reveals a hell of a lot about early baseball that most people had no clue about.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I am into this idea, I've really only read Baseball as a Road to God and Fair Ball, which I think 90% of other SAS baseball folks have already gotten to.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
"You Gotta Have Wa" and "The Samurai Way of Baseball" by Robert Whiting are both good overviews of Japanese baseball, if a bit dated at this point.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Prop.

I loved this dang book.

Dollar Sign On The Muscle

Great book about scouting

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Prop.
Wally Yonamine: The Man Who Changed Japanese Baseball http://www.amazon.com/Wally-Yonamine-Changed-Japanese-Baseball/dp/0803213816
The Lords of the Realm - http://www.amazon.com/dp/0345465245

These are three books I'd really like to read in this order. Thanks for coming up with this idea.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Are we limiting this book club to non-fiction? Because I have been looking for an excuse to read The Art of Fielding.

I mean, there are obviously other fiction baseball books too like The Natural or The Universal Baseball Association Inc. or whatever the hell it is called.

Edit: Wow, I was slow to the fiction. I like fiction, I would like to do at least some fiction book if we do this all off-season.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I ain't got an opinion but I'll be glad to play along with whatever the hive mind comes up with.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I picked up A Well-Paid Slave (Curt Flood fighting for free agency) a while ago, but I haven't read it, didn't see any mentions of it in previous book threads either.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I ain't got an opinion but I'll be glad to play along with whatever the hive mind comes up with.

Yep, same for me. I just want an excuse to post some SMG style analysis of some baseball literature.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I've had my eye on this book for a while: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8192391-changing-the-game

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
I'll second Wally Yonamine and throw in a book I know nothing about but am interested in: Raceball, about the history of minorities in baseball and their future.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I'm going to put everything into a SurveyMonkey thing we can put a password on and vote on. I'll post a link once Tavarin weighs in because I know he is a baseball book nerd like me and the Olives.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I keep trying to find excuses to read Lords of the Realm again so that's probably my A choice, but the Yonamine book is pretty high on my reading list too.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

This is what we should read.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
I'm pretty sure I've read everything but Jackie and Campy (And Changing the Game), but everything listed is definitely worth reading.

The Wally Yonamine book is a good option, since it's a story not many people know.

The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Prop. is also a ton of fun.

Veeck as in Wreck is something everyone should read at some point, as Bill Veeck is awesome, while Jonah Keri did a really good job with Up Up and Away.

One book not mentioned that I really like is If I Never Get Back, which is a fun fiction novel.

And it might not be book club worthy, but Flip Flop Fly Ball is awesome.

But clearly this book club is just waiting for the 3rd book of Norman Macht's giant Connie Mack biography so we can read all of it at once. :haw:

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I'm not sure playing baseball in no shirt and jeans is the best idea there :rolleyes:

I'm glad this thread came around when it did, hopefully it will encourage me to do more nighttime reading instead of playing Civilization until 3 in the morning.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

same

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Not sure if I'll actually do this yet as im The Worst at doing things on time, but if I do You Gotta Have Wa and The Universal Baseball Assosiation (both of which have already been mentioned but shut up) have both been at the top of my to-do list for a while.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Cool Kids Vote Machine: http://teamnerdrage.com/2014/11/03/sas-book-club-novemberdecember-2014-book-voting/

Password is "goonygoon".

e: Voting is set to end Friday at 11:45PM ET so if you want to think it over you have time ;)

leokitty fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 4, 2014

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

One book that I feel gets overlooked far too much is A Pitcher's Story: Innings with David Cone by Roger Angell. It has some stylistic flourishes that aggravate the hell out of me (mostly Angell's insistence of using an article when naming a position player -- so instead of "the ball went to second baseman Chuck Knoblauch," he writes "the ball went to the second baseman, Chuck Knoblauch"), but it's such a well-written book and really illustrates life as a pitcher who was very good, occasionally great, and was always so frustrated by failure.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I picked up The Numbers Game Baseball's Lifelong Fascination with Statistics awhile back but just haven't given it time yet. A history of statistics and how they evolved over the life of the game.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!
I'll join in reading whatever gets selected, but this also seems a good place to ask a request.

I want to learn more about the early baseball leagues in the late 1800s. I'm planning to read "When Johnny Came Sliding Home: The Post-Civil War Baseball Boom 1865-1870" as well as "The National Association of Base Ball Players: 1857-1870". But if anyone has recommendations for books about the early professionalization of baseball I'd appreciate it.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Capt. Sticl posted:

I'll join in reading whatever gets selected, but this also seems a good place to ask a request.

I want to learn more about the early baseball leagues in the late 1800s. I'm planning to read "When Johnny Came Sliding Home: The Post-Civil War Baseball Boom 1865-1870" as well as "The National Association of Base Ball Players: 1857-1870". But if anyone has recommendations for books about the early professionalization of baseball I'd appreciate it.

Not really about baseball turning professional, but if you're just looking for pre-1900 things, both "Fifty-Nine in '84" and "The Summer of Beer and Whiskey"

http://www.amazon.com/Fifty-nine-84-Radbourn-Barehanded-Baseball/dp/B006TQV350
and
http://www.amazon.com/The-Summer-Beer-Whiskey-Immigrants/dp/1610393775

by Edward Achorn are quite enjoyable.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
SABR has an ebook that's a pretty large compendium of 19th century players. There are lots of all sorts of fun facts, like Robert Addy trying to start an ice skating baseball league.

http://sabr.org/latest/sabr-digital-library-nineteenth-century-stars

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tony Phillips posted:

Not really about baseball turning professional, but if you're just looking for pre-1900 things, both "Fifty-Nine in '84" and "The Summer of Beer and Whiskey"

http://www.amazon.com/Fifty-nine-84-Radbourn-Barehanded-Baseball/dp/B006TQV350

Just ordered this. Love me some old timey baseball.

Rand alPaul fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 4, 2014

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

somehow, I'd never heard about this book before in any capacity whatsoever so I read a brief synopsis and overnighted it immediately. sweet christ it's amazing

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

As much as I want to read Universal Baseball Association, I feel it's only appropriate to read it alone so I voted for Wally Yonamine.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Here's where we stand so far:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

leokitty posted:

Here's where we stand so far:

Lords of the Realm is 640 pages? Did other people know this before voting?

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

tadashi posted:

Lords of the Realm is 640 pages? Did other people know this before voting?
It's very readable given its length. John Helyar is a journalist by trade and writes like one.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
I didn't realize it was quite that long but if we have through December to read it that should be enough time I would think.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
It's also an anthology-type thing so you're not going to get buried in minutiae.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I have a 45 minute commute on the train each way and am a reading machine so I'm up for anything in a month or so except the Connie Mack bios (they are cool but really dense). :c00l:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

leokitty posted:

I have a 45 minute commute on the train each way and am a reading machine so I'm up for anything in a month or so except the Connie Mack bios (they are cool but really dense). :c00l:

Cool. Somebody else said it's an easy read. I was more worried about losing a lot of people who can't keep up. :smugbird:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Bob Shabazz posted:

It's also an anthology-type thing so you're not going to get buried in minutiae.

I just semi-recently finished Baseball Before We Knew It.
http://www.amazon.com/Baseball-before-We-Knew-It/dp/0803262558

What you might call the book portion of it is all of 162 pages. Then a 60 page bibliography that is really interesting, but possibly the slowest reading thing I've ever managed to finish. Then 64 pages of appendixes of varying degrees of interesting. Wrapping up with 36 pages of notes that I just skipped cause Christ I couldn't do it.

Still - I'd recommend that book in a heartbeat.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Voting closes tonight, thread will be updated with final results tomorrow.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tony Phillips posted:

I just semi-recently finished Baseball Before We Knew It.
http://www.amazon.com/Baseball-before-We-Knew-It/dp/0803262558

What you might call the book portion of it is all of 162 pages. Then a 60 page bibliography that is really interesting, but possibly the slowest reading thing I've ever managed to finish. Then 64 pages of appendixes of varying degrees of interesting. Wrapping up with 36 pages of notes that I just skipped cause Christ I couldn't do it.

Still - I'd recommend that book in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I read this one too. It's really good.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The Lords of the Realm is our winner.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
That was my second choice, so that's good. I am also glad the thread got extended until December, because I will be ordering the book used, and it will take a week or two to arrive.

• Locked thread