Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I keep trying to find excuses to read Lords of the Realm again so that's probably my A choice, but the Yonamine book is pretty high on my reading list too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
In addition to everything else leo and Groucho already said, just like in football, the NCAA allows disability insurance to protect high dollar value players from severe injury or loss of skill while playing in college. And Cole's family is well off to begin with.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Kundus posted:

I concede! I used a bad example!

So, help me out here. Are there any players who turned down a big signing bonus where it failed? Appel did it, but it worked out fine for him. And I didn't know about the insurance, interesting.

Matt Harrington is the typical cautionary tale, but that's a really weird case because it wasn't an issue of "turned down" per se as "team and player disagreed on what they agreed to," and because there was an agreement that at one point he agreed, he ended up in indy ball instead of college and it all went to hell.

Nearly all of the players who have turned down big money have gotten similar or more money by going into a future draft cycle. A few exceptions I can think of: the aforementioned Whitson turned down $2.1m, got hurt in college, and ended up signing for $100k. Alan Horne turned down $1.6m from the Indians, got hurt in college, and ended up signing for $300k. I don't know whether either of them were insured for loss of value.

• Locked thread