Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Star citizen is never gonna come out, kairo isn't letting me throw tons of money at him for enemy starfighter and I have a fever that can only be cured after I fill the skies with the burned out scrap of my enemies. Is FS2Open w/mods still the best space shooty game out there or should I grab x-wing and finally play that? I've already wasted my life beating tie-fighter and FS2 multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Galaga and Space Invaders both let you shoot spaceships and have unlimited replay ability if you try to beat your high score!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANy-Cz3KBuQ

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Try World of Warcraft, it has something for everyone. Warlords of Draenor out 11.13.14.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
but what if I don't have enough quarters for galaga?

Wormskull posted:

Try World of Warcraft, it has something for everyone. Warlords of Draenor out 11.13.14.

never again. 4 years was long enough.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

If you're good at epic trolling try Eve

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Can I join EVE even if I'm not autistic?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Don Gato posted:

Several people without mental disorders play that game, it's just fashionable among some to call them things like "retard" "sperg" and "epic troll and not a childfucker".

Tyrian is also a very good game and what I am playing to scratch the space laser itch.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

"Thinking about the game your playing" needs to stop being called being autistic. Fucktards. Your all the reason good games don't come out anymore.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Don Gato posted:

I grab x-wing and finally play that? I've already wasted my life beating tie-fighter and FS2 multiple times.

The common consensus seems to be that X-Wing is an inferior game to Tie-Fighter in many ways.

Starscape is a top down space shooty game that's pretty fun and has ship upgrading and customization.

Another top-down that I love is Raptor: Call of the Shadows, but it's not exactly space shooty, but it's in the realm of Tyrian and Galaga?

Also, don't play EVE because it's not really a space shooty game.

E: Also, Rogue Squadron & Rogue Squadron 2. Those are fun space shooty games.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 4, 2014

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I saw a few Elite Dangerous vids that looked cool and the heat mechanic seems p cool. It also exists, but still technically in beta

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Starlancer might be on classic game retailers like GoG by now, give it a shot OP

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Arbitrary Coin posted:

I saw a few Elite Dangerous vids that looked cool and the heat mechanic seems p cool. It also exists, but still technically in beta

Supposedly they've added a lot but I would stay wary

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The X series is pretty good if you ignore X: Rebirth, but it's more of a 4X game in space than a space shooter (although you can get into a fighter and blow poo poo up if you want)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ikaruga is pretty cool and you can get it on steam for ten bucks

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Silver Striker posted:

ignore X: Rebirth

this is extremely important to follow. There's a lure that something might be there but it's just nothing absolutely nothing.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
if you want to shoot anime space ships, try Crimzon Clover

if you want to shoot not-anime space ships, RefleX is fantastic

if you want to shoot not-anime space ships with animal people and depressing unnecessary story, Sine Mora is p. good

if you want to shoot robot fish with adorable cat submarines, Aqua-Kitty is also very good

I like shooting space ships

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Starsector isn't finished but has a decent amount to it and is basically mount and blade with top down spaceship, lots of mods too but I haven't played with any of that

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
FTL, nigga.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

oh yeah I sure love a dice roll dragged out over four hours

I bet you want to stick your dick in an RNG

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

bathroomrage posted:

oh yeah I sure love a dice roll dragged out over four hours

I bet you want to stick your dick in an RNG

Quoting a retard.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Thug Lessons posted:

Quoting a retard.

oh man you sure told me

you sure got me there

lol!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

bathroomrage posted:

oh man you sure told me

you sure got me there

lol!

:cripes:

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

ever gently caress an RNG?

it's a lot like my retard posting!!!

hey OP star conflict is a free-to-play steam game thats about shooting spaceships maybe it isnt complete garbage

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

bathroomrage posted:

oh man you sure told me

you sure got me there

lol!

Quoting a retard again.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Whoa a f2p competitive multiplayer with unlock treadmills??? Where the gently caress do I sign up!

-a giant retard

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Oh wait he's actually suggesting you should play a f2p MMO instead of FTL, lmao.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

bathroomrage posted:

hey OP star conflict is a free-to-play steam game thats about shooting spaceships maybe it isnt complete garbage

yeesh *coughs* i uh think you need to leave

Dec 26, 2012

bathroomrage posted:

stop flailing all over the place when someone says anything against you dude

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

01011001 posted:

stop flailing all over the place when someone says anything against you dude

gently caress YOU

I'LL FLAIL AROUND ALL I WANT *sprains ankle, dies alone on kitchen floor*

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Silver Striker posted:

The X series is pretty good if you ignore X: Rebirth, but it's more of a 4X game in space than a space shooter (although you can get into a fighter and blow poo poo up if you want)

i dont know about this. i like the x games, but i feel it should really be designed around managing your fleet/empire effectively. instead, the core is a space dogfighting game with all the large scale stuff really awkwardly tacked on

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

depends on how you play it really. If you were looking for a homeworld esque kind of experience I'd look elseware. Speaking of which Homeworld is pretty good too if you want more of an RTS type game with spaceships

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
so x: rebirth is an exception? 'cause that's the only one in the series I played and it kinda sucked donkey dicks.

BERGfu posted:

depends on how you play it really. If you were looking for a homeworld esque kind of experience I'd look elseware. Speaking of which Homeworld is pretty good too if you want more of an RTS type game with spaceships

Is it still hard as balls to get working properly on a modern OS? i failed at saving all of the survivors of Kharak when i was a kid because i was both young and stupid and it's one of my biggest gaming failures.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Don Gato posted:

yes but you won't like it then.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
op if your having trouble finding spaceships to shoot in the godamn video game universe might i suggest taking a bath with all your systems plugged in??

bathroomrage posted:

gently caress YOU

I'LL FLAIL AROUND ALL I WANT *sprains ankle, dies alone on kitchen floor*

that isnt funny or cute or whatever you think it is.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

FTL is a good game but it is not a space shooter

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Seconding Starsector

Also go play Escape Velocity: Nova, plus mods

Edit: and Trascendence

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Thug Lessons posted:

Oh wait he's actually suggesting you should play a f2p MMO instead of FTL, lmao.

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES
Might I recommend Strike Suit Infinity, if you like an arcade-style shooter, or Freelancer if you prefer a more structured campaign, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008
Xwing and tie fighter are out on GOG, just play those

• Locked thread