Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Place to discuss the merit/shortfalls of various digital painting and vectoring programs.
I currently use Sai and I love it for freehand drawing, but am often frustrated by its lack of guides and preset shapes.
I've been looking at Manga Studio 5 EX, but I'd like to hear from other art goons whether it's worth the hefty price tag or not. How does it stack up against Photoshop or Sai (or OpenCanvas, for that matter)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I picked up regular Manga studio 5 while it was on sale for something like $35. People swear by it's linework (mostly the smoothing) but you can get the same thing in PS with the Lazy Nagumi plugin. It does have some really neat quality of life things if you're making comics, like super easy panel layout\word baloons\ben-day dots though. If you don't have PS it would be worth getting but honestly I haven't touched it since installing it and dicking around for a few days in it months ago.

starr
May 5, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I love Manga Studio personally. I just got Manga Studio 5, there isn't that much different between 5 and 5 EX and 5 is about 100 dollars cheaper. They go on sale a lot too so you should be able to snag 5 for about 50 dollars. I use Frenden's brush set and it's fantastic, has everything you'd need including tools for penciling, inking and painting. To be honest I'm mostly using manga studio because I really dislike the cloud subscription model Adobe is pushing, else wise I would probably have gotten CS6. I think it's a pretty good alternative though!

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
The $50 version of Clip Studio will do everything Sai can and more. Clip Studio is Manga Studio straight from the developer. No idea why the same software is sold under differnt names, but I figure at least buying it from the dev gives them more of your money. I'm also reading that it's updated more often. You can set it up to look exactly like Sai, the only issue is it's not as snappy as Sai when using the same brushes and canvas sizes.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
Clip Studio Pro is just $15 right now, EX is $87. That's 70 percent off, and I don't even wish I'd waited because it's excellent for illustration and I love them for making it.

http://www.clipstudio.net/en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Forgive me for bumping an old thread, but this seems to be the place for Manga Studio talk.

I'm trying to get comfortable in MS 5 after working with SAI. Is there a way to get Manga Studio to pan my view using the arrow keys? Google is turning up nothing.

• Locked thread