Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Swags
Dec 9, 2006


Rhul; Horgenhold Fort; The Cauldron; The Third Barracks

To call the training grueling would be an insult to the sheer, mind-numbing fatigue that carries the Irregulars to sleep and the ear-splitting shouts that rock them awake only a few hours later. The first month is spent entirely underground in a massive amphitheater Commando Bejen "Huffer" Steelshank calls 'the Cauldron,' and is a terrifying experience for those unaccustomed to being so completely enveloped by stone. A massive crevasse runs the whole of the cavern, and through it runs a glowing, white-hot lava tube. There below, the Irregulars can occasionally witness members of the Brand of Odom being trained by the Tactical Arcanist Corps. Across the cavern are newly-sworn Ogrun korune are practicing with pole-arms and cannons, and the clang of pneumatic hammers against shield-rifles echoes from the chamber in all hours.

Only five buildings, each a barracks, are in the entirety of the cavern. The Irregulars have the third barracks, surrounded to each of the cardinal directions by those belonging to the Tactical Arcanist Corps, the Horgenhold Forge Guard, the Ogrun Assault Corps, and the Horgenhold Artillery Corps. There is no mistake what this is: surround the criminals and the foreigners with devout loyalists in case of any second thoughts. The artillerists are likely the worst of the lot in terms of hazing, the majority of them being of high-housed noble blood, looking to prove themselves while simultaneously staying as far away from the front lines as possible. It is the ogrun who come around to treating the Irregulars like actual soldiers first, and by the time training is up, the ragtag band has gained enough clout with the massive cannoneers that eventually everyone else started to leave the Auxilliaries alone. One might say that it helped the Irregulars' reputation quite a bit when seven of the artillerist shooters were held, ankles-up, over the crevasse, with a growling threat of, "Ya'll boys leave dem be." One probably wouldn't say that aloud, though.

The second month was training in the forest a mile north of Horgenhold. A small copse of trees by Iosan standards, the forest is known to hold a clutch of Dregs, a few tatzylwurms, and the occasional dire troll. It passes quickly, but not without incident. There was the lost of two Nyss sisters, one into a massive tatzylwurm, and the other attempting to cut the first out of its stomach. A month later, when the group was given their first patrol route, filling in for a wounded Ogrun group, on the roads from Horgenhold to the Armsdeep, a tentacled horror emerged from the swamps a few miles south of the landmark lake and tore apart three of their Ogrun escort before finally being put down.

"But now," says Huffer, angrilly chuffing away on a cigar, "now yer proven. You've done yer time, you've got yer colors, and, as far as I'm concerned, you -- all'a you, even the drat gob -- are worthy of bein' Searforge. And me being a generous sort, with a down right overabundance of things what need doin' and an underabundance of people what can do 'em, have got a choice for you lot."

"Folks've been goin' missing in the mounts west of Drotuhn. Not the passes, rightly, but the mountains themselfs. We need a capable crew out there to find out what's doin' it, fill it with our finely made Rhulic ammunition, and make sure it ain't ta happen again." He outlines where on the map the disappearances have been happening, surface mining villages, mostly, and moves on.

"Second, we got us a bit of a drat mystery over in Brunder. Seems there's corruption in the ranks of the guard. Plain fact is, we -- we being upstanding young Rhuls like meself, not you fern'er trash -- we can't trust our own there." Huffer calls you all trash with a smile and a chuckle. The rumor is, he wasn't born a Steelshank, but was actually birthed as a Cryx slave nearly eighty years ago. It's a rumor that isn't brought up much, but it's still brought up from time to time. "We send in you lot, you figure out what's what, and report to yer superiors about what needs ta be done. Note what I'm sayin': There ain't no takin' the law inta yer own hands here. Law and Rhul are not two separate concepts, and people breakin' the laws is what's got Brunder where it is. You investigate, and then you report."

"Or, last thing what needs doin': Ya'll remember them sisters what died a few months back? Rumor is a pack of them pale blighters are on their way from the north, tainted by the dragon's blood, but hopefully not fully crazed and murderous and covered in tentacles. We don't want no troubles with refugees of the dragon, but if they ain't swearin' up, and they ain't here to trade, they ain't welcome. You take this one, you head up north of Groddenguard, inta the frozen wilds, find 'em, and escort 'em to Brunder, and then to the Gate of Storms. Their people will hopefully pick 'em up there, and have a nice lil' knife-ear reunion."

He looks to the group, "So, ask what ye need ta, and discuss. Which one are ya doin'?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swags
Dec 9, 2006


Greetings everyone, and welcome to Auxiliary Irregulars: The Forgeborn Tales!

I'll try to gussy up the above post when I can, but I realized I'd spent literally an hour looking for a good map of Rhul that had both the forts and the cities on it, and eventually just gave up and posted. I'll find one when I can. You guys have three mission choices to pick from. Please pick one of them. Discuss amongst yourselves, ask Commando Huffer, whatever you need to do. You can only take one at this time, as they're fairly well separate from each other.



Posting conventions are as follows!
1) Firstly, you should post your character's name, bold and underlined. This is just helpful for me. It lets me know who that post is about.
2) Then, if your character's location is different from everyone else, you post your location underlined. I usually go largest location to smallest location, separated by semi-colons. You don't necessarily have to do that, but you can.
3) Then you post your character's post in regular text. You don't have to bold what you say 'just so that people know what you said.' People should be reading your whole post. gently caress 'em if they're that lazy.
4) Finally, if you have to post stuff out of character in that post, make it italics. If your entire post is out of character, you can post it in this thread, or you can post it in the recruitment thread.
5) Additionally, in your first post, either post your sheet, or a link to your sheet. If it had errors (Moglok's missing one Int, Tannis has gifted and Virtuoso, for example) correct those please. Thank you.


An example:

Commando Benjen 'Huffer' Steelshank
Rhul; Horgenhold; The Cauldron; Third Barracks

"Hey guys. How about them bears?" asks Huffer, chomping on a cigar in a chompy manner.


Guys, I don't know if you knew this, but Huffer really likes his cigars.


Good? Good.


I don't have a combat block set up yet, but I'll set one up for you guys before combat starts so we can use it. There has been a question raised of whether or not everyone would like to do combat as a live thing using Vassal instead of doing PbP. I'm down with that, but I'm also living in Seattle and don't know everyone else would be able to attend at an hour I consider normal. So let me know. You can just make that known in your first post.


Handy Dandy Map of Western Immoren, supplied by Kurieg:



Statblock for Alexei:
pre:
Hedwig
Def: 10         Arm: 14(16)    Feat Points: 3
Init: 11        CMD RNG: 7"    CNTRL RNG: 0"
Detection: 4
Physique        Agility        Spirit
 1   2           3   4          5   6
    [ ]                            [ ]
[ ] [ ]             [ ]        [ ] [ ]  
  [ ]             [ ]            [ ]    
  [ ]             [ ]            [ ]   

Armor Hit Points: [][][][][][][][][][]

Stat Note: Alexei's's ARM is normally 14. From the front his shield raises it to 16.

Melee: Weapon               MAT      POW      P+S       Special
       Annihilator Blade     7        5       14        Reach. STR 7 required.
       Shield                6        0       9        

Ranged: Weapon              RAT      POW      RNG       Special    
       Shield Cannon         6       14       6         1gc per bullet.


Useful Combat Abilities:
Intellectual Archetype -- Friendlies in this character's CMD RNG get +1 hit/damage. page 115
Load Bearing -- Character reduces penalties to SPD and DEF from armor by 1. pg 164
Defensive Line -- While this character is B2B with a friendly character he gets +1 ARM.
                         If they have this ability, he gets +2 ARM. page 160
Shield Guard -- Once per turn, when a friendly character within 2" is directly hit by an attack
                       this character can choose to be hit instead. 167
Statblock for Hedwig
pre:
Hedwig
Def: 12(10)     Arm: 12        Feat Points: 3
Init: 12        CMD RNG: 4"    CNTRL RNG: 8"
Detection: 3
Physique        Agility        Spirit
 1   2           3   4          5   6
[ ] [ ]   
[ ] [ ]         [ ] [ ]        [ ] [ ]  
  [ ]             [ ]            [ ]    
  [ ]             [ ]            [ ]   

Stat Note: Hedwig's DEF is normally 12. When mounted, it drops to DEF 10. 

Melee: Weapon               MAT      POW      P+S       Special
       Horseman's Axe.       5        5       10        Reach. +2 Charge when mounted. -1 Mat/POW 3 when on foot.

Ranged: Weapon              RAT      POW      RNG       Special    
       Repeating Pistol      6       10       8/40       2gc for 5 rounds. 15gc for ammo wheels.

Spells:			COST	RNG	AOE	POW	UP	OFF
Arcane Bolt		2	12	-	11	N	Y
Aura of Protection	2	S	C	-	Y	N
	+2 Arm to allies in CTRL
Light in the Darkness	1	S	C	-	Y	N
	See in Darkness to Allies in CTRL

Useful Combat Abilities:
Combat Caster -- Gain one additional die for magic attack rolls. Discard lowest die. pg 115
Load Bearing -- Character reduces penalties to SPD and DEF from armor by 1. pg 164
Great Power -- Can upkeep one spell without gaining fatigue. pg 163
Ambush -- Character gains boosted attack and damage rolls during first round of an encounter against enemies who have not activated yet. pg 157
Saddle Shot -- Character does not suffer from ranged attack penalties while firing from a mount. pg 166
Statblock for Vengeant
pre:
Vengeant
Def: 12         Arm: 12        Feat Points: 3
Init: 13        CMD RNG: 6"    CNTRL RNG: 8"
Detection: 4
Physique        Agility        Spirit
 1   2           3   4          5   6
    [ ]                            [ ]
[ ] [ ]         [ ] [ ]        [ ] [ ]  
  [ ]             [ ]            [ ]    
  [ ]             [ ]            [ ]   

Stat Note: None. 

Melee: Weapon               MAT      POW      P+S       Special
       Sword                 4        3       7         

Ranged: Weapon              RAT      POW      RNG       Special    
       Hand Cannon           5       12       12/30      3gc for 5 bullets.

Spells:			COST	RNG	AOE	POW	UP	OFF
Arcane Bolt		2	12	-	11	N	Y
Aura of Protection	2	S	C	-	Y	N
	+2 Arm to allies in CTRL
Light in the Darkness	1	S	C	-	Y	N
	See in Darkness to Allies in CTRL

Useful Combat Abilities:
Combat Caster -- Gain one additional die for magic attack rolls. Discard lowest die. pg 115
Great Power -- Can upkeep one spell without gaining fatigue. pg 163
Rune Reader -- Identify all spells cast in LOS. 115
Battle Plan: Shadow -- Spend feat point to give friendlies in Prowl. Characters with Prowl
                              gain Stealth in areas of concealment or cloud effects. pg 158/165
Statblock for Moglok
pre:
Moglok
Def: 13         Arm: 10        Feat Points: 3
Init: 13        CMD RNG: 8"    CNTRL RNG: 0"
Detection: 3
Physique        Agility        Spirit
 1   2           3   4          5   6
    [ ]   
[ ] [ ]         [ ] [ ]        [ ] [ ]  
  [ ]             [ ]            [ ]    
  [ ]             [ ]            [ ]   

Stat Note: None. 

Melee: Weapon               MAT      POW      P+S       Special
       Bayonet               4        2       5         
       'Jack Wrench          3        3       6         Critical hit on a living enemy may knock out.
                                                        Willpower against TN STR+9

Ranged: Weapon              RAT      POW      RNG       Special    
       Repeating Pistol      7       10       8/40       2gc for 5 rounds. 15gc for ammo wheels.
       Slug Gun              6       14       4          1gc per slug.

Useful Combat Abilities:
Intellect Archetype -- Friendlies in this character's CMD RNG get +1 hit/damage. page 115
'Jack Marshal -- The character is skilled in instructing steamjacks to act. pg 157/322.
Bodge -- The character can make temporary 'Jack repairs during combat. pg 158/299.
Hit the Deck! -- While prone you do not take AOE damage unless directly hit. If hit by an AOE
                        blast damage immediately go Prone without taking damage. pg 164.
Battle Plan: Call to Action -- Spend 1 feat point as a quick action. Friendlies in CMD RNG
                                      immediately stand up or go prone. pg 157.
Team Leader -- When this character gains a feat point, instead of keeping it himself he can give
                      it to another character currentlv in his command range. pg 168.
Statblock for Ruhk
pre:
Ruhk
Def: 9          Arm: 14(15)    Feat Points: 3
Init: 14        CMD RNG: 5"    CNTRL RNG: 0"
Detection: 5
Physique        Agility        Spirit
 1   2           3   4          5   6
[ ] [ ]   
[ ] [ ]             [ ]        [ ] [ ]  
  [ ]             [ ]            [ ]    
  [ ]             [ ]            [ ]   

Stat Note: Ruhk's ARM is normally 14. From the front arc his shield raises this to 15. 

Melee: Weapon               MAT      POW      P+S       Special
       Firebrand             6       7        12         Causes Fire continuous effect. Requires STR 5 to use one-handed.
       Shield                5       0        

Ranged: Weapon              RAT      POW      RNG       Special    
       Repeating Pistol      5       10       8/40       2gc for 5 rounds. 15gc for ammo wheels.

Useful Combat Abilities:
Mighty -- Gain an additional die on melee damage rolls. pg 116.
Feat: revitalize -- Can spend 1 feat point during turn to regain a number of vitality points equal to PHY.
                       Must be done during their turn. Incapacitated characters cannot use it. pg 116.
Hyper Perception -- PER rolls are boosted. pg 116.
Astute -- Can reroll failed Detection rolls.  Each failed roll can be rerolled only once as a result of Astute. pg 157.
Specialization (Firebrand) -- No attack penalties using Firebrand. pg 167.
Stone-and-Mortar Stance -- During turn, can forfeit movement to gain +3 ARM and cannot be knocked down. pg 362.
Statblock for Tannis
pre:
Tannis
Def: 11(9)      Arm: 11        Feat Points: 3
Init: 13        CMD RNG: 3"    CNTRL RNG: 0"
Detection: 4
Physique        Agility        Spirit
 1   2           3   4          5   6
[ ] [ ]   
[ ] [ ]             [ ]            [ ]  
  [ ]             [ ]            [ ]    
  [ ]             [ ]            [ ]   

Stat Note: Tannis's DEF is normally 11. When mounted, it drops to DEF 9. 
                  Tannis's ARM is +3 vs. elemental.

Melee: Weapon               MAT      POW      P+S       Special
       Horseman's Axe.       5        5       10        Reach. +2 Charge when mounted. -1 Mat/POW 3 when on foot.

Ranged: Weapon              RAT      POW      RNG       Special    
       Hand Cannon           5       12       12/30     3gc for 5 rounds.

Useful Combat Abilities:
Bull Rush -- When riding a bison, may perform Slams. A slammed character suffers a damage roll equal to the mount's
                    STR. After resolving the slam, the rider may make one normal melee attack. NQ 45, pg 28.
Cavalry Charge -- The rider may make a Cavalry Charge while riding a mount designated as a warhorse. pg 159/214.
Trained Rider: Bison -- May treat Bisons as though they were warhorses. NQ 25, pg 28.
Tough -- When out of life points, roll 1d6. On 5-6, gain 1 hp and knocked prone. pg 116.
Ambush -- Character gains boosted attack and damage rolls during first round of an encounter against enemies who have not activated yet. pg 157
Saddle Shot -- Character does not suffer from ranged attack penalties while firing from a mount. pg 166
Feat: Revitalize -- Can spend 1 feat point during turn to regain a number of vitality points equal to PHY.
                       Must be done during their turn. Incapacitated characters cannot use it. pg 116.
Statblock for Gunnar
pre:
Gunnar
Def: 11         Arm: 13(14-17) Feat Points: 3
Init: 12        CMD RNG: 4"    CNTRL RNG: 8"
Detection: 5
Physique        Agility        Spirit
 1   2           3   4          5   6
[ ] [ ]   
[ ] [ ]             [ ]        [ ] [ ]  
  [ ]             [ ]            [ ]    
  [ ]             [ ]            [ ]   

Stat Note: None.

Melee: Weapon               MAT      POW      P+S       Special
       ???                   ?       ?        ??         ??

Ranged: Weapon              RAT      POW      RNG       Special    
       ???                   ?       ??       ??         ??

Spells:			COST	RNG	AOE	POW	UP	OFF
Fire Starter             1       8       --      --      N       *
   If this spell targets an enemy, on hit the enemy suffers the Fire continuous effect.
Howling Flames           2       SP8     --      10      N       Y
   Causes fire damage. On Critical hit, the enemy suffers the Fire continuous effect.
Wall of Fire             2       CTRL    WALL    --      Y       N 
   Place a Wall template anywhere it does not touch a character's base, obstruction, or obstacle.
   When entering or ending activation in Wall, character suffers a POW 12 fire damage roll
   and the Fire continuous effect.
Battering Ram            2       6       --      12      N       Y
   A character hit can be pushed 3" directly away.
Molten Metal             2       10      --      --      N       Y
   Target Warjack suffers 1 point of Fire damage to each column on its damage grid.

Useful Combat Abilities:
Combat Caster -- Gain one additional die for magic attack rolls. Discard lowest die. pg 115
Load Bearing -- Character reduces penalties to SPD and DEF from armor by 1. pg 164
Immunity: Fire -- Character is immune to Fire damage and Fire continuous effect. pg 164
Rhulic Warcaster -- Can bond to Rhulic warjacks. NQ 49, pg 64
Bond -- Bond spent on Warcaster Armor. Gain Power Field and Overboosting. pg 158.

Swags fucked around with this message at Nov 13, 2014 around 16:59

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Alexsei

Folks could be forgiven if they mistook the big Khadoran for just another Ogrun; he's certainly built like one, but then, the Man-O-War armor he's been hauling through training only comes in one size: Extra large. "So an unknown beast in the mountains, crooked officials abusing their power, or Nyss fleeing the dragon. It is like I never left Khador." He looks thoughtful. "By the sound of it, we may wind up doing more than one of these, depending on which we choose- we would be escorting the Nyss through the very same town we are to investigate the guard in, for example, and coming through with a pack of tainted refugees might well give us a look at what sort of business the guards are up to, da?"

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010


Moglok

The Gobber sergeant made a crooked-fanged little smirk at ol' Huffer's jab. Oh ya, them drat sneaky Gobbers. Scum of Immoren, all of them. Well, Moglok didn't take it much to heart. The Rulic commando had made him the leader of this little squad of misfits, so whether he really thought all Gobs were liars and sneaks or not, he at least recognized Mog's ability to lead. The squad leader, unlike most of his kin, was the quiet type. He often listened more than he spoke, at least until the fighting started. The Khadoran was first to speak, and Mog liked what he heard. "Alexsei has the way of it. We can do two missions at once. Grab the Nyss, lay over in Brunder for a few days until we figure out who is buying the guard, and then move along. We can even get the Nyss to be couriers for us as payment for their protected passage." The Gobber nodded and spit in the dirt. His mind was made up for now. The others could have their say, and if they made a good argument he might change his tune. But if not, he was the Sarge, this was a proper mercenary corps, and he'd be making the final call.

I'm not sure why you think I'm missing an INT. Gobbers start with 3 and I only added one of my initial advancement to that stat, so I should only have 4. Am I missing something?

ilootthecorpse fucked around with this message at Nov 5, 2014 around 04:25

Swags
Dec 9, 2006


Rhul; Horgenhold Fort; The Cauldron; The Third Barracks


"I'm gonna cut ya drat sparks off here, 'afore ya think yer britches are the biggest drat britches in all the land, 'cause I've met the Great Kal'muta, and trust me, they ain't." Huffer rolls out a small map, and from one of the many pouches on his belt produces a few sticks of chalk. They were often used in those moments when Huffer himself was filling in as the melee drill sergeant, when he'd leap into battle covering a recruit's body in chalk to show them exactly all of the many ways he could have killed them. The least chalked tended to get extra rations that night. This may be one of the reasons for Huffer's grudging respect of Moglok: the drat gob was hard as nails to get a handle on, and tougher to chalk up.

"Here, next to Drotuhn, is the problem in the mountains. Here's Brunder. And here, way up north, is where we've been seein' the fleeing Nyss. Good folk, maybe. Spies and saboteurs, maybe." He grabs another color of chalk, this one bright green, and draws a line from above Groddenguard down along the Armsdeep, through Brunder and then out to the Gate of Storms. "Now, for all the smoke the Khad over here," he says, pronouncing the word like 'cade' and thumbing towards Alexsei, "is blowin' up my own beautiful bum, I've had better blowers and far finer smoke. This ain't a matter of you little turds proving yourself by getting it all done. It's a matter of you picking one of them, getting it done as well as you possibly can, and taking your licks to the chin, and then coming back to ask for me."

"Drotuhn's about a week out, and I don't know how long you'll be there. Cave-tram most of the way. Same with Groddenguard, but then another week or so up, and then however many months it takes to get the palefolk outta our drat country." He pauses, saying, "Sorry. My drat country. Heh." Smirking, he continues, "I figure maybe a month or two of walking and boating. We'll be providing rafts to make it go as fast as possible, but it depends on how many you bring, how the rivers are. We can't have those types of people getting close to the capital. Just can't. Innocent? Yes. Refugees? Yes. Trust 'em? Ain't a chance in Urcaen. The Brunder job, well, I don't know how long it'd take, maybe a week or two, but it's a week out there, at least. Tram-tunnel's collapsed, so it's mostly walking until they get it rebuilt. Found a goddamn earthborn in a tunnel and fought it in the tunnel instead of luring it out. Idiots."

"Anyway, this ain't you gobs and gobbettes doin' it all. It's doin' it right."


Basically, it is impossible to do what you guys are suggesting. The Brunder job is going to take time, infiltration, etc. Not really possible with 20-200 Nyss on your coat tails. So I wanted to cut that off before you guys totally decided on that.

ilootthecorpse: My bad. I really thought your Int was one lower than it should have been.

Swags fucked around with this message at Nov 5, 2014 around 05:19

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010


Moglok

The Gobber wasn't so familiar with the dwarf lands, and once the commando brought out the map it was abundantly clear that the current plan was an impossibility. The Sarge thought for a moment, and behind him Domm mimicked a thoughtful posture, though the 'jack was much more concerned with the clump of glowing cave moss it had plucked off of the wall. After a moment Mog kicked a rock and nodded. "Right. NO doubling up. Way I see it: Drotuhn isn't a thing. Put out a cry to the herald, tell folks do not go that way until somebody can deal with the thing what's snatching folks up. As far as the Nyss go, they's cold mountain folks as it is. Give them rations, draw them a route through the Skybridge mountains, and schedule a resupply along the way. They'll make it. Well, some of them will. I says we deal with Brunder. We all want Rhul to be our new home. We protect home first,"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012




Vengeant

Hrm... stopping a beast, rooting out corruption, or saving the Nyss from themselves. The elf in him would love to see some semblance of hope brought back to those lost to the Fane of Winter... but the last Nyss envoys to grace the doors of Ios were turned away. And that was before the Retribution ruled. He'd keep that last bit to himself, of course. Whoever sent these orders down the line had to know this. They were probably giving the Iosan's a chance to save some face. Who knows, maybe for once his kinsmen can do the right thing, even if it has to be shoved down their throat with the spectra of diplomacy and a gun.

He sipped his watered down ale and spoke up.

"Not to sound biased, but I think we're well suited to just escorting the Nyss back home. We aren't exactly the stealthiest of groups and I'm the only one here with any kind of training in subterfuge."

InViolentAgreement
Sep 26, 2014


Hedwig

Hedwig was doing his best to stay could composed. Despite having trained in The Cauldron for all this time, he still wasn't used to the heat. On top of that, the occasional sighting of a Brand of Odom also made his hair stand on end. This was the only place where Hedwig had ever thought to himself "Please, let me get out of this cave and under the sky." Now that he was being given a mission he just wanted it to start already, preferably somewhere cool.

Hedwig wiped some sweat off his brow, only to feel it come back a few seconds later.

"I'm inclined to agree with the elf. Besides, do you really want to come back here after a few weeks? I'd be glad to be rid of this place for a month or two. It's not like we won't see any action over there either, I'm sure we'll run into at least one idiot who thinks a bunch of refugees would make a good mark for robbery."

He coughed a bit and took a swig of water from his canteen.

"Of course, that's assuming we get a vote at all. The gob's in charge, like it or not."

InViolentAgreement fucked around with this message at Nov 5, 2014 around 06:14

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...




Tannis

"There's different ways to get information, loosening up somebody's tongue with rum is just as good as sneaking through their smallclothes. But I think you're right, a nice simple escort sound enjoyable. We'll be well equipped for it, between Willow here and Alexsei's steam britches." Tannis leans against Willow, her large bison with light tack on it.

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam

Gunnar

Gunnar scowls. Or is scowling. Perhaps he has never ceased scowling since he was sentenced. They put the Gobber in charge. It would be less of a problem if Moglok understood the Rhulic ways, but he had just dipped his toes into their world. He had not been raised in it, tempered by it. Yet he is their leader. It had been said, it will be.

Even so, if they insist on running this like a democracy, Gunnar would have his input. "I would prefer to head to Drotuhn. Good and proven Rhulfolk are disappearing. That said, I can see I am in the minority," he speaks clearly, but not loudly. "If we are not headed there, I should think we are more equipped to deal with the Nyss." He looks pointedly at those around him, "This group seems ill-fitted to intrigue, and there is nary a law scholar among us. I fail to see how useful we would be rooting out corruption."

LizardBeam fucked around with this message at Nov 5, 2014 around 13:34

zephyr42
Apr 19, 2012


Ruhk

Rubs his chin in thought and listens in silence to the others. Once Gunnar has finished his say taps his nose and starts to speak. "I agree with Gunnar, Helping the people of our new home," He glances at the two other dwarves and coughs, "would help us integrate easier I think. And in any case if there is some monster or bandits I would want to stop them there." He nods his head and leans back in his chair, his arms crossed against his chest.

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010


Moglok

The gobber sucked on his top fang for a moment and thought. His crew was right about the intrigue. They just weren't equip correctly for it. He could scheme and ploy ten ways in every direction to root out the corruption, but so matter which way you cut it having such an eclectic group roll into town all at once asking questions would raise flags. That left the Nyss and Drotuhn. He still believed that the Nyss could make their way south without a guide, and if they really needed one it didn't have to be a full Searforge squad. "Alright, home still comes first. Brunder is better handled by a covert asset, and the Nyss aren't our kin. We're going to Drotuhn," he said with finality. "No more Rhul-folk going missing."

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...




Tannis

"Sounds good, we'll need a full load of supplies though. Looking at the map it seems that we're going into the middle of no where, with no major trade routes, and being told that people are going missing off of what little trails there are."

Tannis points to the isolated Drotuhn region on the map.

"Supply lines won't exist for us, I recommend we requisition a wagon and some oxen to haul it. Hegwig and I can ride our mounts, the rest of you might need something to break the wind and hold feed."

Couple of questions. We're starting in Horgenhold now? What season is it? Also, after I typed this I realized that I might be turning the campaign into some Rhulic Oregon Trail. That wasn't my intention, but it could actually be kinda awesome.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006


Rhul; Horgenhold Fort; The Cauldron; The Third Barracks

Huffer grins. "Oh, aye, but yer a bloody softie, Moglok." He spits onto the map, which the party notices now is covered with some kind of shiny, clear substance that doesn't allow that spit to soak in, and wipes away the chalk and the liquid with a dirty rag from his belt. "Ye'll be movin' tomorrow, then, first light. Onto the road from Horgenhold to Hammerfall. Nice city, good sized castle and a fine history of getting their noses inta poo poo what ain't theirs ta sniff, but ya can save such an experience fer another time. Ye'll never be entering the city. Commission has an enclave on the north side of the city, so just go around. Ye'll be able ta get yer supplies there."

He draws a line from Hammerfall a bit further north and circles it. "Here's a small pack of huts, mostly Ogrun. If ye need a guide through the valleys, here's where ya hire. Winter clothes, too. Might be a hard few months." It's true. Horgenhold is the southern-most of the major Rhulic settlements. And the Irregulars, having spent the majority of their time in the Cauldron, have yet to truly experience a far northern Rhulic winter in the mountains. "Ye'll be going around Moraklammur, the God's Tooth, by way of the north valley and then to Drotuhn. From there, it's up to you. As members of the Commission under writ of a mission from the crown, you'll get a lot of cooperation. Well, hopefully. Some of you are trolls and Khads and crazed fire-people and knife-ears, so it's a roll of the dice," he says, laughing. But he sobers once he circles another portion of the map. "Here's where the disappearances have been happening. Miner-folk, independents mostly. Priests that run local shrines. A few mush-farmers, at least three tater-farmers, and the meanest, snaggletoothiest, wartiest group of hops wenches ye've ever met in yer life. Three patrols have gone out already, and they've found naught but naught."

He looks at the group with a serious eye and says, "I'm countin' on ye lot ta prove me a grand ol' trainer. Rhul tends to hyperspecialize. All the ogrun? Same training. All them artillerists? Same trainin'. They're military folk, and this is what they'll do 'til they die. But not you scabs." He swings out with both fists to spread his arms wide, managing to thump both Alexsi and Ruhk in their massive breastplates. "Easy to hit, aye? Bit tough as even Rhulic steel. I could try the same move on the gob, and I'd smear him across the pavement, but only if I managed to hit the wee, jumpy bogger-bugger. Ye've got two horsemen -- horsetroll? bufftroll? -- within ya, two 'Jacks, and three magicians. Overspecialized ye ain't." He pokes a forefinger into his temple, saying, "Use yer drat heads. Rhul's a drat nice country. Ye could all do well here, ye survive long enough ta get sworn inta a house."

"Tomorrow, for you foreigners -- I know how the time seems to meld when you spend too much time underground -- is Gorim 2, Doloven, 607 AR. It is the first day of your first year in service for Rhul." He holds up his hands to quell any protest -- apparently used to such -- and says, "Read the fine print next time. Rhuls love their drat fine print. Fact of it is, the twelfth line of the seventh paragraph of the fortieth page of your contracts stated quite clearly that your tenure here didn't actually start until yer crew was less motley, more trained, painted, and officially released from training to serve the Commission and the country of Rhul. Tonight's yer last night as trainees. I'm thinkin' the Ogrun from the Assault Corps have made ye a pie or somethin', and the beer's sure ta flow. Ask what questions ye got, and then get the hell outta my barracks and enjoy yer last night as forn'ers."


Today's date is Gorim 1, Dolovan, 607AR. To those that don't know the Iron Kingdoms Calendar that means it's the 2nd day of the 4th week (Gorim) of the first month of Fall (Dolovan). But considering you're going to be in what is essentially Edmonton or Calgary in November in October in terms of temperature, the environment should be a concern.

Let me know if you have any other questions, let me know.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Alexei

The big Khadoran nods in agreement with Tannis. "Da. Not just fodder, either- between me and the jacks we'll be needing all the coal and water we can get our hands on." A pause as Huffer mentions that patrols have already gone out. "And none of the patrols have gone missing, then? It sounds like whatever it is may be smart enough to avoid armed groups. Something to keep in mind on the hunt, at least."

Swags
Dec 9, 2006


Rhul; Horgenhold Fort; The Cauldron; The Third Barracks

Huffer nods to Alexei. "Ye can have a wagon if ye needs it ta get ta Hammerfell, and we can load it up fer ya with the ol' coal an' quench." He thinks a moment and then decides, "Ahh, might be best ta give yer jacks more efficient boiler. I'll 'ave the Odom lads come in an hour or two, get them crawlin' around inside Domm and Gunnulf, hookin' up the new burners. Don't want ya running out of yer fuel halfway out with only the tatzyls and the dreggs fer company."

"I'll be needin' yer boots piled in the corner a'fore ye go to sleep tonight." He sketches out a quick hexagonal grid in chalk on his map and draws a small picture of 13 mountains inside one of the hexes. "Ye'll see these hex cobbles as yer walkin'. Ye all need to make sure to step on one of 'em every half hour minutes or so. It'll keep ye invigorated, able ta march more without restin'. But if ye miss yer tiles, fatigue'll hit ye like a ton of airborne troll with a hunger pang."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012




Vengeant

Well, they weren't helping the elves. Vengeant wasn't sure if he could feel too torn up about that, not even the Iosans seemed too concerned with them. But Khador ground them into dust and provided the impetus for all of this trouble... Unfortunately there was nothing he could do about it now, he was only one man and his current livelyhood required him to be a good little soldier and obey his orders.

Instead he busied himself looking at the hex runes.

"Intriguing magic, I've not seen its like before."

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam

Gunnar

Gunnar gives a curt nod and an "Aye, sir" to Huffer. He is somewhat familiar with the runes, if not precisely how they function. Magic theory has never been his strong suit. It comes more naturally - something he sees and feels, within and without. He then looks to the elf, his scowl becoming slightly less severe, "It's not something widely known outside of Rhul, but good to have. Having a mobile army helps us stay neutral, and we've not all strides as long as yours." There is some small measure of pride in his tone, even though he had naught to do with their creation.

He is glad to finally be getting to the real work of this. It will not be easy work, but little worth doing is.

InViolentAgreement
Sep 26, 2014


Hedwig

Hedwig wiped the never ending sweat off his brow as he listened intently to Huffer's instructions. "Wish I had known those runes were there while I was on my own, probably could have come in handy. In any case, I'll go check on my horse's tack. She probably got a bit fatter being in a military establishment. Sorry Alexsei, won't be drinking tonight. Riding while hung over isn't exactly safe."

Swags
Dec 9, 2006


Rhul; Horgenhold Fort; The Cauldron; The Third Barracks

Huffer nods to Vengeant. "Short legs need a bit of a push now and again. Helps, with the mounts, too, providing ye can steer 'em onta the drat things, and they've got proper shoes attached." He winks to the elf saying, "Helps, too, that any time one house goes ta war with another, ye can pull up the tiles to keep armies from moving too quickly. Gives them what's likely caused the problem, the holy nobles in the cushy chairs, time to get their rumps together and bargain, maybe save a few lives." The Commando could tell something was bothering the arcanist, however, and said, "Word is the Great Kal'Muta is recruiting a few new ogrun up near where yer blue bloods are coming through. Don't worry naught about them. I'll be sendin' him up ta do what you lot ain't doin'. He'll have a nice talk with 'em about things like trespassing and proper permissions and which roads and routes and rivers they're ta take. Nice-like."

To Hedwig, the dwarf nods. "Ain't proper knowledge, rightly. Them of the Brand, them of the Crown, and them of the Cobblers are all what knows, but on this mission ye're of the Crown, so ye're allowed ta know. Mostly, visitors ain't told, and Cobblers want people thinkin' its their boots, not the link their boots have ta the roads. Aye? Classified-like. Considerin' what ye was, ain't no way ye could'a known."

Huffer starts gathering his chalks and refolding his oft-folded map, beginning to pack and head out. "I've got mail and letters to see to. Paper, yes, but slates, too." Slates, of course, indicating the 'letters' came from the capital, where all official notices are engraved rather than written. A haughty and idiotic tradition, according to Huffer, but not one he's interested in speaking of now. "I'll see to ye jumpin' sparks tomorrow when I send ye flying outta my fire. Until then, don't do nothin' too dumb. Or too, bright, really. Just as dangerous." With that, Huffer heads toward the door.

zephyr42
Apr 19, 2012


Ruhk

Ruhk let out an intreagued and somewhat approving grunt at the talk about the runes. He has been constantly surprised at the ingenuity of the Dwarves since he arrived in Rhul. He stood up from the table and turned to go back to the barracks. "I won't be drinking tonight either," he said. This was his idea of a rather dry joke, seeing as he hadn't drunk any of the nights he had spent in training. He planned on spending the night cleaning and preparing his armor and weapons before meditating and praying.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Alexsei

Aleksei claps his hands together once as it seems they are being dismissed. "I, for one, do not plan to disappoint our ogrun friends in their never-ending quest to outdrink me and feed me somewhat questionable pies! But I believe that once they are all safely under the table I shall go watch the engineers working on the Jacks. Perhaps it will give me ideas for tweaks to make to my armor."

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010


Moglok

There was lots to prepare for. The would be spending hard weeks on the road and then no telling how long in the wilds trying to figure out what was causing the disappearances. A lot of logistics went into a movement like this, and Moglok was determined to make sure his company had everything they needed on the road. "I'm off to the quartermaster and loading bays to make sure we have a sturdy wagon and enough tuck to make us up to Hammerfall. Don't forget your boots, mercs. Alexsei, don't get so drunk you can't aim a wrench. I'll take another set of eyes for checks and inspections on the 'jacks before movement tomorrow."

I imagine that the 'jacks will be inactive and loaded on wagons until we really need them. Yes?

ilootthecorpse fucked around with this message at Nov 9, 2014 around 18:36

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...




Tannis

"I'm not sure my mount can be shod in this manner, but if you think it's possible then I'm game to try this kind of magic. Moglok, I'll join you to the Quartermaster, I'm going to be in need of ammunition and feed for Willow. Lets make sure we have oxen to pull the cart instead of horses. Horses tend to spook too easily, and we don't know if we're going up against hill trolls, the blighted, or just highwaymen."

Swags
Dec 9, 2006


Rhul; Road to Hammerfell

Huffer says naught else and leaves, allowing the almost-rookies their last night in the Cauldron and with their brethren. When as he gathers his supplies, he leaves the Third Barracks and the Irregulars notice for the first time that the clanging sound of the forges and the roar of the gouts of channeled flames have stopped. All is eerily quiet within the Cauldron. Until, of course, they hear the whisper of Huffer speaking to someone they can't see as he vanishes around the corner, saying, "All yers."

There's the toot of some sort of honking brass instrument and the sudden tromping of Ogrun boots as the massive humanoids burst in through the door faster than anyone can react and begin to lift everyone above them. One manhandles the Gobber and each of the Dwarves, two each on the Humans, three on Tannis, and, incredibly, six manage to lift up Willow herself and haul even the angrily mooing bison out of the barracks. The walk is a jolly tromp all the way around the Third Barracks, the Ogrun laughing and chanting old korune songs of victory and congratulations, while a few of the Forgeguard bang drums and the Arcanist Corps shoot small, handheld rockets that explode into bright colors into the cavern's ceiling. While the Ogrun won't actually force anyone to participate, obvious effort when into acquiring what appears to be nearly three dozen pies and cakes, a few kegs of genuine Barleybrew ale. Those that don't drink (the Ogrun have long been aware of Ruhk's religious intolerance of alcohol) are just given more and more food, with quips of, "This gods of yours is eternal, yes? Then they will be around in a few hours. Eat pie, pray later."

Moglok and Tannis eventually break away and begin the long trek surfaceward, traversing through many tunnels and turns and no less than six elevators before reaching ground level. Reaching the quartermaster's office, they find the Commission's assistant already preparing the wagon. It looks sizable, with a long, low falling tongue and a neck yoke meant to hold two of the stout, burly aurochs the dwarves favor so much. The wagon itself is uncovered, and currently being loaded by two 'Jacks directed by the assistant, a lovely, short dwarf of middling years. It's front-loaded with tuck enough for a three week trip, more than three times what should be needed to reach Hammerfell. A ton or two of the ol' coal-and-quench is attached to the undercarriage and the outside of the wagon in steel drums. There's space enough for a few people to sit, resting space for two light (or one heavy) 'Jack, and a jockey box that could conceivably fit two people. Attached to the back of the wagon is a hand-operated gear crane. The assistant makes enough pleasant small talk to get the Trollkin and the Gobber to leave, letting them inspect her work if they wish, and answers any additional requests with the phrase, "Oh, I'll take that under advisement," which is her nicest way of saying that something wasn't authorized. She does this all with a kind enough smile that always fails to reach her eyes.

The next day, after the party, the crew awakens in their beds even if they can't remember actually falling asleep in them. Atop the chest in front of each of their bunks are their own personal boots, along with large enough backpacks to fit everything they might have arrived with aside from arms and armor. After they pack, as they begin walking up the tunnels, they see Commando Kuupa Steelshank, Huffer's adopted sister, leading a contingent of nineteen mismatched souls past them. Ogrun, gobbers, nyss, humans, iosans, and an the odd pairing of an identically dressed anura and satyxis walk past them, wide-eyed, still dripping beige and green paint. No barracks in the Cauldron goes unmanned for long. It's about this time the crew notices the weight of their new boots, each suddenly weighing more than a pound more that they did before. It's likely because a few of them trip on the more hazardous stairs up, but it could also be the glowing chains attached near the top of Willow's hooves.

Reaching the surface, the crew finds their wagon waiting, with two massive aurochs yoked to a sturdy wagon. Huffer stands next to the wagon, inspecting the contents with a clipboard and pen, while behind him an irate quartermaster stands with a slate and chisel. Clearly, one of them expects it to be done the traditional way, and the other one is Huffer. Domm and Gunnulf sit in the back of the cart, with Domm currently attached to the crane with the apparent thought being that the one with all the melee weapons should be the first one down. Eventually, Huffer hands the board to the quartermaster, who grimances and curses at the old Commando before she runs off to transcribe all of his writing to the slate. "Get on and get out. Remember, Commission HQ north of Hammerfell. Maybe we'll get ye a holiday in the city in the future, but Drotuhn's yer problem at the moment." He says his goodbyes personally, insulting practically everyone as a loving older brother might, and then disappears back into the tunnel. Rumor was he never watches his men leave because he cries and doesn't want them to see that, but it isn't a rumor one would speak to aloud.

With a crack of a small horseman's whip over the head of aurochs, the lumbering beasts release a rumbling bellow and then trot out onto the road and the mission begins!






And we're off!

Everyone gets 1 XP for getting to this point without being a Loser McLoserton who bows out in the first week! Everyone who posted their Impressions of the other characters in the Recruitment thread BY THIS POINT gets an additional 1 XP. That's a stunning total of 2 XP possible! Wowie! If you spend your XP now, please let me know what you're spending it on, and update your sheets. If you've posted your sheet in this thread, update that one. If you've linked to it from elsewhere, update that one. Just make sure I have access to the updated one. XP tables are on page 154 of the Core Rule Book.

Things I need to know: 1) Who is driving. 2) Who is mounted. 3) Who is riding in the wagon. 4) Who is walking alongside the wagon.

Things I need from you: A quick vote on whether you'd rather roll your own rolls or have me do it. Not that there's going to be combat a few posts from now. Nope. Definitely not likely.

Additionally, I've been asked to put in prayer/religion type rolls into the game since that's a thing in IK, so this is what I've come up with. Hopefully it won't skew the balance too hard, and if it does I will surely change it, but since units like the Choir, the Farrow Brigands, Kriel Warriors, the Gatormen Posse, etc., all have a bunch of prayers that legitimately buff them even though they aren't really 'magical' units, I figured this wasn't too terrible.


pre:
Praying:

Characters can make a Lore: Religion check to pray, where 'Religion' is a stand in for that character's faith. Doing this check takes the
character's entire action for that round, or any time they might otherwise spend prepping the pre-combat. This is an INT-based Lore roll
and the results vary based on the table below:

Target Number      Effect
  10 or less            Warm and fuzzy feelings. Your deity is watching you, but either does not approve of your actions or does not wish
                        to assist you at this time. You gain no effect.
  11-14                 By harnessing your deity's guidance, you gain a +1 to your next roll. 
  15-19                 By harnessing your deity's guidance, you can gain one of the following effects: you personally get a +2 to your
                        next roll, or all faithful within your Command Area get a +1 to their next roll.
  20+                   By harnessing your deity's guidance, you can gain one of the following effects: you personally get a +3 to your
                        next roll, or all faithful within your Command Area get a +2 to their next roll, or you can reroll your next
                        action, or all allies (faithful or not) within your Command Area get a +1 to their next roll.

Note: The Gods of the Iron Kingdoms are ever-present, but are also fickle and feel that their followers should rely on their own innate
strength as much as divine assistance. The Target Number of the check goes up by 1 for each additional time after the first that a 
character attempts this check each day.

Depending on the deity, other benefits to prayer may be unlocked by higher ranks of the Lore skill and devout service. What exactly is
detailed in 'devout service' is up to the GM.

Swags fucked around with this message at Nov 10, 2014 around 09:39

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...




Tannis


Tannis is mounted, forward scouting, but within eye or earshot whichever is farther and coming back to eat with the group.


I don't care either way about rolls. I like the agency of rolling myself but GM rolling makes more sense online. I still propose that we at least attempt to schedule a Vassal combat but it'll inevitably turn into scheduling hell and we can not do it.

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010


Moglok

The little Gobber groaned and climbed up into the driver's position on the wagon. After eating three whole slices of pie, drinking more than he cared to admit, and putting on the heavy, enchanted boots he didn't have it in him to walk for another minute. Besides, he'd always liked to be in the front of the wagon and see what is going on down the road. Not to mention that he was no slouch as a driver. He just had one more thing to cover, and then they could all be on their way. Moglok stood up on the driver's seat to be seen and raised his uncommonly deep voice, for a gobber, above the rattle and clang of Domm being loaded onto the back of the wagon.

"Alright! First mission is about to be underway. Keep your head about you, keep your discipline up, and keep an ear to the ground. Lotsa trouble we could get into out there, so I'm going to organize some teams. Alexsei, you're in charge of team one. Ruhk, Vengeant, and yourself are in charge of defending the wagon. Gunnar, you're in charge of team two. Hedwig, Tannis, and yourself are in charge of scouting ahead, and if any baddies pop up you'll be providing fire support and flanking maneuvers. I'll be moving about where I'm needed, so you two," he says, pointing out Alexsei and Gunnar, "make sure to report up any problems. Unless there is anything else, let's get going."

I don't mind you rolling for us. I am still a novice at this system, so I wouldn't want to mess anything up. Moglok will drive the wagon, and I used my XP to get another level in Mechanikal Engineering and pick up one level in Driving.

ilootthecorpse fucked around with this message at Nov 10, 2014 around 19:41

InViolentAgreement
Sep 26, 2014


Hedwig

Hedwig was about to suggest that he be up front with the trollkin when the gobber reached into this thoughts and plucked the words from them. He probably would have been surprised if his head didn't feel like it had an axe going through it.

"Aye boss, scout ahead and provide fire support. If we're lucky nothing will happen along the way and we can ride off this hangover. If we're unlucky, nothing will happen along the way and this hangover will persist. In any case we can say goodbye to this forsaken stewpot in the ground, if only for a little while. I think the only things I will miss are those pies. Maybe having a stone bed, but I will gladly trade that for having the stars above my head again."

I think GM rolling makes the most sense, and scheduling hell sounds mildly unpleasant. Hedwig will increase his Riding and Animal Handling. On a side note, I discovered that when I saved my character sheet, it didn't save as an editable file. So I'll be posting the pre in a few minutes like an hour later today right loving now.

pre:
Hedgwig
Race: Dwarf 
Archetype: Gifted
Careers:  Arcanist / Highwayman
Level 1/ Xp Earned:   1/ 2
Faith: Rhulic
Player Name: InViolentAgreement


Height / Weight:  
Defining Characteristics: 


Damage Capacity
 [ ] [ ]   
 [ ] [ ]   [ ] [ ]   [ ] [ ]  
   [ ]       [ ]       [ ]    
   [ ]       [ ]       [ ]    
   PHYS      AGI       INT
Current Feat Points:  3


Stats:
Phyisique [SPD/STR]: 6 [5/5]
Agility [PRW/POI]: 4 [4/3]
Intellect [ARC/PER]: 4 [4/3]
Willpower (PHY + INT): 10


Weapons:
Horseman's Axe | MAT 5 | POW 5
Special: When on foot -1 to MAT and POW 3

Ranged:
Repeating Pistol | RAT 6 | POW: 10 | Effective Range:  48 Ft (SP 8) | Extreme Range:  240 feet
Special: It costs 2gc for blasting powder, bullets, and casing for five lights rounds. 15 gc for addition ammo wheels.

Armor:
Custom Battle Armor | SPD +0 | DEF 0(Mitigated by Load Bearing) | ARM +6

Melee:

DEF: 12 = 5(SPD) + 4(AGI) + 3(PER)
ARM: 12 = 6(PHY) + 6(Custom Battle Armor)
INITIATIVE: 12 = 5(SPD) + 4(PRW) + 3(PER)
COMMAND RANGE: 4 = 4(INT)


Skills:
Hand Weapon (PRW): 1
Pistol (POI): 1


Intimidate (Social): 1
Riding (AGI): 2
Animal Handling (INT): 2
Lore (Arcane) (INT): 1
Research (INT): 1

Benefits & Abilities:
Combat Caster -- Gain one additional die for magic attack rolls. Discard lowest die. pg 115
Load Bearing -- Character reduces penalties to SPD and DEF from armor by 1. pg 164
Great Power -- Can upkeep one spell without gaining fatigue. pg 163
Ambush -- Character gains boosted attack and damage rolls during first round of an encounter against enemies who have not activated yet. pg 157
Saddle Shot -- Character does not suffer from ranged attack penalties while firing from a mount. pg 166
Connection: Searforge Commission -- The character has a connection to this organization through employment or other means.
This connection can be used for favors, supplies, etc. These favors must be payed back in some manner.
This can include repayment through favors, coin, or access through influence if the character has any. pg 169-171

InViolentAgreement fucked around with this message at Nov 11, 2014 around 03:07

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012




Vengeant

Vengeant does his best to avoid the heavier ales. He knows full well that what would get an Ogrun drunk would kill an elf. So he's a bit more cogent in the morning. Hopping up next to Moglok on the the wagon.

"I suppose some magic artillery is better placed up here. Maybe take some time to step on the runes there, boss. Or get some hair of the dog."

Unless we know target numbers not much is gained by rolling ourselves. I'll level up Vengeant later when I've got some time to look over the skills again.

zephyr42
Apr 19, 2012


Ruhk

Ruhk Seemed as alert and stoic as always, but those paying attention could see him rubbing his stomach occasionally when no one was looking and occasionally shaking his head, trying to get the sleep out of his eyes. He had actually rather enjoyed last night, He couldn't seem to stop eating the pies and cakes and even found himself quite enjoying his conversations with the Ogrun. It was rather late at night, or early in the morning, when he stumbled his way back to the barracks, said a quick prayer and fell to sleep.

In the morning he was still able to get all his things together, armor strapped on and new boots laced up. He held himself up tall and proud as Huffer sent them on their way, he was eager to prove himself on the first mission.

He listened to Moglock and nodded his head. He should be used to how forceful the gobber is by now but it still occasionally takes him by surprise. "Of course, I will make sure we arrive safely." He takes a position slightly to the front and left of the cart and stomps his boots. He grimaces as he feels their weight on his feet and shifts around in his plate armor. He hopes they aren't just some elaborate prank

As far as rolls I prefer to do my own attack and damage rolls, but I am not really sure how that works in pbp so I would be fine with you doing rolls. I also used the skill points to bump up his Detection and Forensic Science level here is his sheet .

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam

Gunnar

Gunnar walks alongside the wagon, very little evidence of the carousing the previous night apparent in his stride. He had partied, and when he parties he tends to party hard. But as a dwarf he takes pride in his ability to recuperate from such indulgences. He tries not to find amusement in some of the others' discomfort and fails.

Even without slight feelings of superiority, it is a welcome change to be out an about after all of that training - much of it redundant. He looks forward to the good, honest work nearly as much as the end goal of being reintegrated into his clan.

Sheet's still the same, I'll post a thing when I spend XPz.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Alexsei

Added Craft: Metalworking 1 and raised Mechanikal Engineering to 2, sheet edited. I am down with either GM rolling or Orokos as generally preferred.

Aleksei is, as is often the case after a night of drinking with Ogrun, disgustingly chipper and all smiles. loving Khadorans, man. He salutes Moglok, and then fixes his helmet into place, steam venting from the boiler on his back. It's almost like having another jack along for the ride. "Da. We shall be ready, if trouble comes."

Swags
Dec 9, 2006


Rhuk; Highway to Hammerfell

A little less than a day and a half after leaving Horgenhold, the group of Irregulars decides to finally stop to rest once they see Alexei wobbling on his feet. They, and their mounts, have walked without sleeping, eating, or even drinking for thirty-two hours when they pull off to the side of the road at a small campsite that it travelers apparently frequent. They feel fine until about half an hour after stopping, when the fatigue of the day suddenly hits them like a ton of bricks. The oxen, the buffalo, the horse each fall to their stomachs on the ground, struggling even to eat and drink when their food is moved in front of them. Likewise, the spellcasting Irregulars feel their focus becoming unfocused, and their will unweaving, while those without the Gifts of the Gods just slump in their places with full bellies and drift into a sound sleep.

When they awaken hours later, towards the early hours after midnight, they climb back into the wagon, or onto their weary feet, and begin the trudging path toward Hammerfell. As their soles touch the marked hexes, they feel the fatigue of the road suddenly drain from their bodies, and their backs straighten as the continue on. Tannis and Hedwig are returning from the flanks to report the all-clear when the Auxiliaries crest a large hill and see a raging tumult below them. Bodies, some furred and some encased in blue-and-grey armor, clash in open warfare in the middle of the road.

On further examination, Ruhk's keen eyes are able to pick out certain facts: The furred bodies belong to Farrow, sometimes called pig-men. There are nine of them total, six wearing a series of mismatched platemail and wielding what appear to be butcher's cleavers on pole-arm poles. There is another, dressed in a long coat and tossing sticks of dynamite into the mix. Finally, next to the coated Farrow are two boar-beasts of massive size, one bigger even than the Irregular's warjacks, his arms studded with great spiked plates. The other is a smaller, about the size of Moglok's warjack Domm, but carries a massive cannon on its back. Anyone with connections to any sort of mercenary company or underworld group would also know of Rorsh, the warlock, and his heavy warpig Brine. They're a pair of assholes, but are routinely hired by less-discreet merc outfits.


The other group are dwarves and ogrun, that much is obvious, but they all wear armor covered in a checkered blue-grey pattern. Rhulic nationals, or any with underworld connections, would know them as the Ghordic Ghouls, battlefield scavengers, pirates, and highwaymen. They have two warjacks with them, both the small, two-legged type like Gunnar's, and fight with a series of pneumatic hammers and ogrun assault cannons.
Neither side seems to be 'winning' currently.



To calculate how far the group could go without resting, I rolled a number of d6s equal to everyone's Physique and then multipled it by two. Alexei (that weakling) rolled a dismal 16, giving him only 32 hours of walking time. Bad Alexei!

On rolling Perception checks, our two forward scouts got the lowest scores (tying 10s) while Ruhk got an 18. Everyone else rolled a 12.

Currently, there is one Farrow warlock, one heavy warbeast, one light warbeast, and 6 Farrow fighters combating a bandit group consisting of 4 Ogrun Assault Corp troops, 5 Horgenhold Forge Guard troops, and a couple of small Rhulic warjacks.

Edit: Apparently this was missed: The Rhulic combatants are the Ghordic Ghouls, known pirates, scavengers, and highwaymen. The warlock and the heavy warbeast are Rorsh and Brine, a pair of ne'er-do-wells, but occasional hires by upstanding mercenary forces.

Swags fucked around with this message at Nov 15, 2014 around 05:06

zephyr42
Apr 19, 2012


Ruhk

Frowns as he hears the clashing of battle in the distance. As the party crests the hill his eyes widen and he hefts his sword and shield, ready to run to battle. "It's Farrow! they're attacking other Ruhlfolk."

sorry for the delay in posting. my computer crapped itself and I'll have to get a new motherboard and processor for it. In the meantime I borrowed a laptop.

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010


Moglok

A battle suddenly loomed on ahead, and Ruhk was right, it appeared to be a foul Warlock harrying good Rhulfolk. The Paladin was still full of fury from his god though, prone to acting rashly, and Moglok knew that even a well intentioned intervention could be a disaster without a proper plan. It could turn a melee with definite sides into a brutal all-out brawl. "Ruhk, wait! You and Alexsei got on line and make a combined front. Vengeant, stay behind them and give them support. Tannis and Hedwig, swing out wide and try to get behind the Farrow. We can crush them with a combined assault at their flank and rear. Gunnar, you and I need to get the 'jacks down. Any luck and this will be over before we need them but if things go south they could swing the fight in our favor."

InViolentAgreement
Sep 26, 2014


Hedwig

"You sure you want to do that boss? I know the uniform might be a bit misleading to outsiders, but those Ghouls there are an unreliable lot. I don't know a lot about the porcine ones, but I know the Ghouls would be just as likely to stab us in the back as we fought the other ones off if they thought they could grab those 'jacks. Had a small run in with em a while back, said something about turf before I pumped one full of lead and magic and hoofed it outta there."

Hedwig wasn't arguing. If the gob wanted to get some man-sized cuts of pork for the road he would do as he was told, but he didn't want to deal with the Ghouls if they turned out to be more than slightly unreasonable that day, or remembered him for some reason.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012




Vengeant

Hrm.. pigmen, fantastic. Well, they can be handled easily enough. And with a little judicious application of magic one can ensure that they don't even get to scratch the green paint on their armor.


Casting Aura of Protection, assigning it to Great Magic.
"Support up boss."

pre:
Vengeant
Def: 12         Arm: 12        Feat Points: 3
Init: 13        CMD RNG: 6"    CNTRL RNG: 8"
Detection: 4
Physique        Agility        Spirit
 1   2           3   4          5   6
    [ ]                            [ ]
[ ] [ ]         [ ] [ ]        [ ] [ ]  
  [ ]             [ ]            [ ]    
  [ ]             [ ]            [ ]   

Stat Note: None. 

Melee: Weapon               MAT      POW      P+S       Special
       Sword                 4        3       7         

Ranged: Weapon              RAT      POW      RNG       Special    
       Hand Cannon           5       12       12/30      3gc for 5 bullets.

Spells:			COST	RNG	AOE	POW	UP	OFF
Arcane Bolt		2	12	-	11	N	Y
Aura of Protection	2	S	C	-	Y	N
	+2 Arm to allies in CTRL
Light in the Darkness	1	S	C	-	Y	N
	See in Darkness to Allies in CTRL

Useful Combat Abilities:
Combat Caster -- Gain one additional die for magic attack rolls. Discard lowest die. pg 115
Great Power -- Can upkeep one spell without gaining fatigue. pg 163
Rune Reader -- Identify all spells cast in LOS. 115
Battle Plan: Shadow -- Spend feat point to give friendlies in Prowl. Characters with Prowl
                              gain Stealth in areas of concealment or cloud effects. pg 158/165

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010


Moglok

The gobber may have worked for the better of Rhul now, but he still didn't know much about the country. He certainly didn't know who the prominent bandit groups were. "They're highwaymen?" he asked incredulously, scowling. "Hold." The gobber took a moment to think about his plan, at the same time trying to get the auroks to move backwards and give them some space from the fight. "Alright, new plan. We fall back a short way until they can't see us and get the 'jacks down. Gunnar, once everything is ready to roll you take your team, swing out far and try to get some high ground above the fight. Alexsei's team is still going to form a front line, but Domm and I will stick with them. We get staged up, and hold until one of them group of brutes beats the other to tar. Then we hit them from two sides, try to catch 'em by surprise and clean up. If it's the Farrow, kill 'em all. Don't want no pig-men plaguing up the roads. If it's the Rhul bandits try to force a surrender and we can deliver them up nice and tidy to Hammerfell and let proper authorities sort it out."

I didn't want to meta-game and assumed Mog wouldn't know who the Ghouls were, so I was waiting for somebody to point out they weren't nice, honest Rholfolk.

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam

Gunnar

"Aye. They might see the smoke from Gunnulf here, but they may be too preoccupied to do much in the way of preparing." It was a reasonable plan, a smart decision from the little gobber. He would likely have called for the same. He issues a mental command to his 'jack to get it out of idle and into a combat burn and begins moving out, the relatively small 'jack moving to catch up.

Getting ready for pincer. Trying to stay out of sight, topping off Gunnulf's fuel before going if I need to, I suspect it'll take a bit for the two groups to finish.No sneak skill, agi 4. Hilariously, the 'jack is sneakier than I am.
pre:
Gunnar
Def: 11         Arm: 13        Feat Points: 3
Init: 12        CMD RNG: 4"    CNTRL RNG: 8"
Detection: 5
Physique        Agility        Spirit
 1   2           3   4          5   6
[ ] [ ]   
[ ] [ ]             [ ]        [ ] [ ]  
  [ ]             [ ]            [ ]    
  [ ]             [ ]            [ ]   

Stat Note: None.

Melee: Weapon               MAT      POW      P+S       Special
       ???                   ?       ?        ??         ??

Ranged: Weapon              RAT      POW      RNG       Special    
       ???                   ?       ??       ??         ??

Spells:			COST	RNG	AOE	POW	UP	OFF
Fire Starter             1       8       --      --      N       *
   If this spell targets an enemy, on hit the enemy suffers the Fire continuous effect.
Howling Flames           2       SP8     --      10      N       Y
   Causes fire damage. On Critical hit, the enemy suffers the Fire continuous effect.
Wall of Fire             2       CTRL    WALL    --      Y       N 
   Place a Wall template anywhere it does not touch a character's base, obstruction, or obstacle.
   When entering or ending activation in Wall, character suffers a POW 12 fire damage roll
   and the Fire continuous effect.
Battering Ram            2       6       --      12      N       Y
   A character hit can be pushed 3" directly away.
Molten Metal             2       10      --      --      N       Y
   Target Warjack suffers 1 point of Fire damage to each column on its damage grid.

Useful Combat Abilities:
Combat Caster -- Gain one additional die for magic attack rolls. Discard lowest die. pg 115
Load Bearing -- Character reduces penalties to SPD and DEF from armor by 1. pg 164
Immunity: Fire -- Character is immune to Fire damage and Fire continuous effect. pg 164
Rhulic Warcaster -- Can bond to Rhulic warjacks. NQ 49, pg 64
Bond -- Bonded with warjack, Gunnulf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Alexsei

"Da. Am just being glad there are no innocents stuck in the middle of their battle, eh?" The big Khadoran falls into line with the others as ordered. "Shall we place bet on who we are to end up fighting?"

If it comes up, Alexsei will play "Look out sir!" and cover Moglok with shield guard. If he's base to base with everyone, total ARM from the front's 17.


pre:
Aleksei
Def: 10         Arm: 14(16)    Feat Points: 3
Init: 11        CMD RNG: 7"    CNTRL RNG: 0"
Detection: 4
Physique        Agility        Spirit
 1   2           3   4          5   6
    [ ]                            [ ]
[ ] [ ]             [ ]        [ ] [ ]  
  [ ]             [ ]            [ ]    
  [ ]             [ ]            [ ]   

Armor Hit Points: [][][][][][][][][][]

Stat Note: Alexei's's ARM is normally 14. From the front his shield raises it to 16.

Melee: Weapon               MAT      POW      P+S       Special
       Annihilator Blade     7        5       14        Reach. STR 7 required.
       Shield                6        0       9        

Ranged: Weapon              RAT      POW      RNG       Special    
       Shield Cannon         6       14       6         1gc per bullet.


Useful Combat Abilities:
Intellectual Archetype -- Friendlies in this character's CMD RNG get +1 hit/damage. page 115
Load Bearing -- Character reduces penalties to SPD and DEF from armor by 1. pg 164
Defensive Line -- While this character is B2B with a friendly character he gets +1 ARM.
                         If they have this ability, he gets +2 ARM. page 160
Shield Guard -- Once per turn, when a friendly character within 2" is directly hit by an attack
                       this character can choose to be hit instead. 167

  • Locked thread
«2 »