Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Uthorrad is a strange place. Last stop on the Radiance line that connects all of New Blackmoor, it is at once quaint to those coming from the cities of the south and fantastically modern to those from the once-barbarian northlands. The crusades propelled it from a tiny boomtown to a bustling city in just a few short years, and it still shows the signs of colliding cultures.

The North is where the action is, and Uthorrad is the gateway to the North. Whether by Radiance line or airship, on foot or aboard one of the giant Bohlinia, giraffe-like pack animals of the permafrost, you have come here to meet your fellow like-minded adventurers. Maybe you heard of each other from a friend of a friend, maybe you go way back, but whatever the reason, you are all meeting up at the intersection of Bridge and Market Streets.

Newsboys call out to the crowds, hawking the latest edition of The Redfen Times. Sales seem to be good, too, since Uthorrad is front page news. Of course, the news is not good news. But who cares about dragons? You have friends to meet and adventures to go on!

Things will be open ended until you run into something, so go into the world and hexcrawl!

Giant Map

Averaging speeds and whatnot, I'm going to say you can cover 3 hexes per day (until you get into forests and hills and stuff) with plenty of rest (no need to worry about Fatigue). You can also see into the next hex over. Mounts will get you more (see DerD table 12-1, pg 149. We are using 6 mile hexes).
Picking some far off location and going until you run into something interesting is encouraged.

Oh and post your sheets in your first post and link back to them in your character name or whatever so I can be lazy and reference them easy and don't have to worry about keeping the recruit thread alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Lenore Vallancis

Lenore gave two judges to the newsboy and thumbed through the paper as she walked towards the intersection of Bridge and Market. As always, war loomed between the Draconic Empire and New Blackmoor. Her travels had taught her that peace was ever an illusion in New Blackmoor; it was a time for armies to regroup and resupply, but not stand down.

Of greater import was the Classifieds, and it was quickly evident that the posting she'd noted in the previous weeks' edition was still there. Her last exploration in the Adris Desert had been an abject failure. At one point, she'd believed she had found an undocumented line of watering holes, only to finally realize she was simply circling back to the same watering hole over and over from different angles. There was no sign of the Lost Tomb of Adris she'd sought, and she was now out of money to mount another expedition.

Her father had often told her that adventurers were at once an archaeologist's greatest asset and biggest danger. They're willing to brave dangers most would shy from, and signing on with a group brings protection from dangers both natural and artificial. Scholar Vallancis often worked as an adventurer to secure money and access to the hidden areas of the world in his youth. But once adventurers find those hidden places, they pillage. Things of pure monetary value are taken to sell, and historical artifacts that look worthless to the untrained eye are broken.

It was a balancing act, one Lenore would have to endure herself now. She was short of crowns, and so would need to work herself as an adventurer like her father used to. Which brought her back to the posting. It was at Bridge and Market that she'd meet the folks she hoped would soon be her traveling companions. Please, let them not be brutes, she thought.

OOC: Dagon, quick question, how much would it cost to have a physical copy of the map you provided? If it's not too much, I'd like to retcon that into Lenore's inventory, since it makes a lot of sense, especially for an explorer like Lenore. I also added in a few pieces of chalk because I'm an idiot for not listing it before.

pre:
Name: 
Lenore Vallancis

Class:
Thief

Ability Scores:
Strength		11 (+0)
Intelligence		16 (+2)
Wisdom			13 (+1)
Dexterity		14 (+1)
Constitution		 9 (+0)
Charisma		12 (+0)

Secondary Statistics:
HP			04/04
AC			7 (Leathers) - 2 (Dex) = 5
BAB			+1
Movement		30'
Experience		0

Saves:
vs Death Ray/Poison	+7
vs Magic Wands		+6
vs Paralysis/Petrify	+7
vs Breath Weapons	+4
vs Rod/Staff/Spell	+5

Thief Abilities:
Open Locks		+2
Find Traps		+1
Remove Traps		+1
Climb Walls		+17
Move Silently		+3
Hide in Shadows		+1
Pick Pockets		+3
Hear Noise		+5

Skills: 4 + 2 (Int) = 6
First Aid	+1
Geography	+2
History		+2
Navigating	+1

Weapon Feats: 2
Radiance Pistol
To Hit 1 (BAB) + 1 (Dex), 1d6 + 1 damage, 100/150/200 Range
Sword, Short
To Hit 1 (BAB) + 0 (Str), 1d6 damage

Equipment:
Name			Cost (GP)	Weight (LB)
Leathers (L. Armor)	20		20
Sword, Short		7		3
Radiance Pistol		200		2
Power Cell (x3)		30		0.5
Binoculars		20		1
Glowbug (x3)		15		-
Thermal Flare (x2)	10		-
Backpack		5		2
Belt			0.2		0.5
Boots (Plain)		2		1
Cloak (Long)		1		1.5
Clothes (Peasant)	0.5		2
Purse			0.5		0.2
Rations (1 week's, dry)	15		7
Rope (50')		1		5
Sack, Small		1		0.1
Thieves' Tools		25		1
Tinder Box		3		0.5
Chalk, 5 pieces		0.05		-
Waterskin, Full (x3)	3		9
Newspaper		0.02		-
- Redfen Times, Tsalmir 30, 12 Ning
Map of Area (In OP)	-		-

Totals			359.27		56.3

Coins:
0 gp, 3 sp, 13 cp

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 9, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Thyrin, Soldier of Fortune

Times should be good for a tried and proven man-at-arms like Thyrin. The threat of war in the air, people were hiring. Travelers and merchants want safety in times like this. Maybe it was the insignia on his armor and cloak and nobody wants a former member of a failed mercenary company. Had the news of their demise spread so far and wide so quickly, though?

Hanging out in taverns waiting for some weird old guy to hire him and the people sitting at the same table hasn't proven fruitful and neither has hanging around the markets trying to get some merchant's attention. So he's sitting on some stairs of some fancy house, slowly reading through the classifieds in a newspaper from yesterday someone had thrown out.

Table for sale. Stained with gravy and wine, definitely not blood That was the wrong section. Lonely spirit seeks grown man for Ugh! Even worse! Now hiring! Strong men and women of endurance and vigor for mining operation Close, but mining would be a waste for a trained warrior. And it would remind him too much of home.

Even though he's a slow reader, Thyrin eventually found something that sounded like a job for him. So he stands there, at the corner of Bridge and Market, looking out for whoever it is that's hiring. Some sort of help identifying them would have been helpful, but wasn't included in the ad. So Thyrin stands around, looking for someone who's looking for someone or who's looking like they're also here to answer the ad.

pre:
Thyrin Larkeskal (Meetshot)
Level 1 Dwarf

0/2,200 XP

Strength	16 +2
Intelligence	 9 +0
Wisdom		11 +0
Dexterity	14 +1
Constitution	13 +1
Charisma	12 +0

HP		9/9
AC		3 = 4 (Combat Field Uniform) -1 (Dex)
BAB		+1
Initiative	+1
Move		20'(?)

D. Ray/Poison	+12
Magic Wands	+11
Paral./Petrif.	+10
Breath Weapon	 +7
Rod/Staff/Spell	 +8

Skills (4+0)
Intimidate	+1 (Str: +17, Cha: +13)
Etiquette (Dwarven Principalities) +1 (Cha: +13)
Craft (Smithing)+1 (Dex: +15)
Gambling	+1 (Cha: +13)

Weapon Feats (4)
Shield, Normal (Basic)
vs All Opponents: To-Hit: +2(Str), Damage: -, AC Bonus: -1 vs 2, Off-Hand: Y, Delay: -, Deflect: -
Sword, Normal (Basic)
vs Armed Opponents: To-Hit: +2(Str), Damage: 1d8, AC Bonus: -, Deflect: -, Disarm: -, Hurl Range: -
vs Unarmed Opponents: To-Hit: +2(Str), Damage: 1d8, AC Bonus: -, Deflect: -, Disarm: -, Hurl Range: -
Stun Baton (Basic)
vs All Opponents: To-Hit: +2(Str), Damage: 1d8 non-lethal, Knockout: +0
Thermal Pistol (Basic)
vs All Opponents: To-Hit: +2(Str), Damage: 2d6, Delay: -, Range: 30/50/-

Special Abilities
Heatvision
Stonelore

Equipment
			Weight	Cost
Stun Baton		  2	 50
Shield, Normal		  5	 10
Sword, Normal		  6	 15
Combat Field Uniform	  5	100
2 Lazarus Patches	  2	 60
Telescoping Pole	  1	 10
Backpack		  2	  5
Purse			  0.2     0.5
Belt			  0.5	  0.2
Cloak (long)		  1.5	  1
Clothes (merchant)	  2	  5
Boots (fancy)		  1.5	  5
Hat			  0.3	  0.2
Grappling hook		  8	 25
Rope (50')		  5	  1
Waterskin (full)	  3	  1
Ration (1 week's, dried)  7	 15
2 Sacks (Large)		  1	  2
TOTAL			 53	305.9

Coins: 54 gp, 1 sp

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Lenore

Lenore saw a dwarf standing on one of the corners of the intersection, looking like... well, much like she'd expected to be looking when she got here. He carried the filled backpack and assorted weaponry that is all but an unofficial uniform for adventurers. He was in the right place, he was at the right time, he was probably here for the same posting, if not the one who posted it.

And he looks brutish, more's the pity, she thought as she walked up to him. She gave a short half-bow. "Lenore Vallancis. Am I right in thinking you're either answering the posted notice or the one who posted it in the first place?"

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Lazarus

Lazarus was a new man. Quite literally, in fact, considering he had been created by an unholy mix of magic and science and grown in a vat merely a month prior. Of course, he didn't remember that part. He felt like a stranger in his own skin, still trying to figure out how his own body worked as his brain ached to remember his lost past. Adventuring was part of that, for some reason. As he used his abilities and evaded danger, he began to recall bits of himself. Or, the person he was, at least. Lazarus was still unsure if he could consider Andarious to be part of himself.

He looked back at the newspaper, at the ad staring back at him. He was a bit wary--he'd had a couple of run-ins with would-be recruiters that ended up with him fleeced out of what little money he had--but the newspaper had been generally trustworthy. So he wandered over to Bridge and Market.

There, while the thin crowd swirled around him, he spied two conspicuous people. While everyone else seemed to be in a hurry to get wherever they were going, these two seemed like they were waiting for something to come to them. Unsure of who it was that actually placed the ad, Lazarus tried to grab their attention.

"Excuse me," he called out. He held up the newspaper and pointed to the ad in question. "Did one of you, er, happen to leave this ad? I'm here to answer it."

pre:
Name: 
Lazarus

Class:
Technomage

Ability Scores:
Strength		 9 (+0)
Intelligence		16 (+2)
Wisdom			11 (+0)
Dexterity		14 (+1)
Constitution		13 (+1)
Charisma		12 (+0)

Secondary Statistics:
HP			05/05
AC			5 (Woven Body Armor) - 1 (Dex) = 4
BAB			+1
Movement		30'

Saves:
vs Death Ray/Poison	+7
vs Magic Wands		+6
vs Paralysis/Petrify	+7
vs Breath Weapons	+4
vs Rod/Staff/Spell	+5

Skills: 4 + 2 (Int) = 6
Arcane Lore +2
Engineering +1
History     +1
Magical Engineering +2

Radiance Pistol
To Hit 1 (BAB) + 1 (Dex), 1d6 + 1 damage, 100/150/200 Range
Sword, Short
To Hit 1 (BAB) + 0 (Str), 1d6 damage

Spells: 1

Sleep Dust (prepared Sleep spell, lasts for 2 days)

Equipment:
Woven Body Armor	40		10
Sword, Short		7		3
Radiance Pistol		200		2
Power Cell (x3)		30		0.5
Backpack		5		2
Belt			0.2		0.5
Boots (Plain)		2		1
Rope (50')		1		5

Totals			303.2		40

Coins:
57 gp, 8 sp, 0 cp

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Simeon Saint-Cloud

Wanted: Brave and Noble Companions for Adventure and Profit. Interested parties please inquire at Bridge and Market streets. Serious interest only!

Simeon smiled knowlingly. The news ad was a brilliant stroke, if he did say so himself. What better way to find those seriously interested in the sort of work looming ahead of them than the classifieds? And they'd be guaranteed literate, which was another plus. He could feel the excitement in his blood. Living so close to the frontier, how could he not!?

The last month had been nothing but preparation for this little venture. Montblanc had argued at first, saying that he could use more help keeping inventory and hunting out buyers. Eventually he relented; the shop was just no fit place for a distracted young man with aspirations of grandeur. Anyone could tell that was a terrible idea after Simeon misfiled the same silica dust parcels three times in only an hour.

So here he was, sitting on a bench at Market and Bridge, fully loaded pack at his side. He had started to wonder if anyone was going to show up. It had already been quite a while, and waiting was never fun. Then he saw her, a bright and inquisitive-looking young woman, glancing around as if she was waiting for someone. She had a newspaper in her hand. Simeon shouldered his pack, and walked up to the young woman.

"Greetings, ma'am. Please excuse me if I am being too bold, but are you perhaps here inquiring about this ad?" Simeon holds up the newspaper, and jabs a finger at the listing. "If so, I am extremely pleased to announce that you are in the right place." He bows low. "Simeon Saint-Cloud. Happy to make your acquaintance."

When Lazarus speaks, Simeon smiles broadly. "Ah yes indeed! Come closer, man!"

pre:
Name: Simeon Saint-Cloud

Class:
Mountebank

Ability Scores:
Strength		11 (+0)
Intelligence		12 (+0)
Wisdom			13 (+1)
Dexterity		16 (+2)
Constitution		 9 (+0)
Charisma		14 (+1)

Secondary Statistics:
HP			04/04
BAB			+1
Movement		30'

Saves:
vs Death Ray/Poison	+7
vs Magic Wands		+6
vs Paralysis/Petrify	+7
vs Breath Weapons	+4
vs Rod/Staff/Spell	+5

Mountebank Abilities:
Climb Walls		+17
Move Silently		+3
Hide in Shadows		+1
Pick Pockets		+3

Skills: 4 = 4
Bluff    	+1
Sense Motive	+1
Lip Reading     +1
Diplomacy       +1

Radiance Pistol
To Hit 1 (BAB) + 2 (Dex), 1d6 damage, 100/150/200 Range
Monoblade
To Hit 1 (BAB) + 0/2 (Str/Dex), 1d6+1 damage

Spells 
Casts as 1/2 Level Magic User
Level 1: 1/day
Read Magic
Sleep

Other Abilities:
Weak Magic (as above)
Item Use

Equipment:
Monoblade               50              2
Radiance Pistol         200             2
Glowbug x2              10              -
Power Cell x2           20              .3
Cloak (Long)            1               1.5
Clothes (Merchant)      5               2
Belt                    2(sp)           .5
Boots (Fancy)           5               1.5
Backpack                5               2
Hat                     2(sp)           .3
Red Powder Flask x2     10              2
Waterskin, Full x2      2               6
Rations (1w, Dry)       15              7
Purse                   5(sp)           .2
Tinderbox               3               .5
Telescoping Pole        10              1
Thermal Flare           5               -

Totals			359.9		45.8

Coins:
1sp

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 1, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Thyrin

"Looks like the answer to your question just arrived, Mrs. Vallancis", replies to Lenore when Simeon made his introduction, "but he happens to be the one I've been looking for, too." He acknowledges Lazarus' arrival with a nod and waits for Saint-Cloud to explain what his plans are.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Simeon

"Yes, I am indeed the originator of that listing. I'm a very ambitious sort, They say, and what They say is generally true. Now, I'd like to propose to you all a certain arrangement. Profitable, of course." Simeon grins, and his eyebrows start going all cocked almost unbidden. "There's treasure out there. Opportunity. Things which need doing and people who need them done. Now there's plenty of so called adventurers and Problem-Solvers, Explorers and Archaologists out there, but I don't want to be just some nameless face in the crowd. I want to be the one at the top of the heap! But, I can't do it alone. So I though I'd gather up some like-minded individuals and we could all get a stake in the glory! There's certainly plenty to go around." He snaps his fingers excitedly. "So! Who's with me!?"

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

pre:
Name: Matilda Blackthorn

Class:
Lupine Mystic

Ability Scores:
Strength		14 (+1)
Intelligence		12 (+0)
Wisdom			11 (+0)
Dexterity		16 (+2)
Constitution		13 (+0)
Charisma		 9 (+0)

Secondary Statistics:
HP			6/6
AC			7
BAB			+1
Movement		40'

Saves:
vs Death Ray/Poison	+8
vs Magic Wands		+7
vs Paralysis/Petrify	+6
vs Breath Weapons	+5
vs Rod/Staff/Spell	+4

Lupine Mystic Abilities:
Find Traps		+1
Remove Traps		+1
Climb Walls		+17
Move Silently		+3
Hide in Shadows		+1

Fistpunching Damage	1d4
Fistpunching Attacks	1/r

Skills: 4 
Magical Engineering (Int) +1
Religious Lore (Int) +1
Balance (Dex) +1
Cooking (Wis) +1

Basic: Radiance Rifle
Basic: Unarmed Strikes

Equipment:
Radiance Rifle		300
Power Cell (x3)		30		0.5
Backpack		5		2
Belt			0.2		0.5
Boots (Plain)		2		1
Cloak (Long)		1		1.5
Clothes (Peasant)	0.5		2
Purse			0.5		0.2
Rope (50')		1		5
Sack, Small		1		0.1
Tinder Box		3		0.5
Pants (None)            0               0

Coins: 0
Matilda Blackthorn

Drawn on by adventure, fueled by her natural badassity, the mystic Matilda knows this is where she belongs. Then she hears someone going on about adventure and the like, and smiles.

"I am with you!"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Thyrin

"So am I!", Thyrin exclaims. After a short beat, he adds: "Wait, do you even know where to start?" This question is aimed at Simeon, the next at Matilda: "Wait, who are you?"

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Lazarus

Lazarus nodded, arms crossed, as he listened to Simeon. The dwarf spoke up, asking of a plan. "Yes, do you have a plan beyond merely the idea of making money?"

"Also, I suppose introductions are in order. Lazarus, at your service." He bowed slightly.

"Plan or not, I might as well throw in my lot with you, sir. I don't expect much happening if I sit around here."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Simeon

"A plan? Of course I have a plan!"

Simeon's brain races. He barely had an inkling of where to start. In his experience, things usually just sort of fell into place. He clears his throat.

"Yes, well. First! We get ourselves a name. Some kind of trademark. It can be a work in progress, but we'd better make sure that people know who we are." His hands start moving faster as he gesticulates in the air. "Then, we figure out where the most likely place for a big score is - bodyguarding, merchant caravans, perhaps a bit of honest mercenary work? Regardless, we keep our ears open for news as we go. Play the field. Keep our collective noses to the ground on the search for the scent of adventure!" Simeon punches the air now and again as he punctuates his words. "I raised myself up from simple roots to the man you see here today, and I never forgot Rule Number 1!" Simeon leans forward conspiratorially. "No matter what you do in your life, you're always working for yourself! Never forget that, and success will fall into your lap!"

He nods his head, satisfied that this emphatic display will have his new companions (employees? perhaps that bears consideration.) satisfied.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Matilda Blackthorn

"I am Matilda Blackthorn, Novice of the Temple of Khoronus. I seek the treasures of the past, the future, and to know the world by experience." She considers a moment. "I have been trained in many kinds of technology and the ways of stealth. I can also kick things very hard and have a large gun."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Philo Nimblefingers

As the others begin talking about what they hope to accomplish, the possibilities of treasure, and their names they slowly notice some smoke coming from below. Once they look down they spot a short figure, somewhat like a barefoot child, but most children have don't have quite such a smug look upon their face, don't smoke quite so much, or have quite that ample of a belly, though the belly looks like it has seen some lean times.

Once he is sure that he has their attention the figure removes the pipe, points it at Simeon and speaks. "Name is Nimblefingers, Philo Nimblefingers. I understand you got some sort of treasure seeking expedition, and you need some friends. Well I am willing to be your friend for some of this treasure."

He replaces the pipe and puffs on it a bit, his piece said.

pre:
Name: 
Philo Nimblefingers

Class:
Halfling

Ability Scores:
Strength		09 (+0)
Intelligence		13 (+1)
Wisdom			12 (+0)
Dexterity		16 (+2)
Constitution		14 (+1)
Charisma		11 (+0)

Secondary Statistics:
HP			07/07
BAB			+1
Movement		30'

Saves:
vs Death Ray/Poison	+12
vs Magic Wands		+11
vs Paralysis/Petrify	+10
vs Breath Weapons	+7
vs Rod/Staff/Spell	+8

Halfling Abilities:
Small       - -2 bonus to ac against attacks form things bigger than humans.
Nimble      - +1 to attack rolls when using missile weapons, +2 to initiative. 
Unobtrusive - when staying still behind bushes, rocks or trees gain +17 bonus to hide.
              Or a +6 bonus indoors if there is cover or shadows to hide in.

Skills: 4 + 1 (Int) = 5
Balance		+1
Cooking		+2
Escape Artist	+1
Navigating	+1

Radiance Pistol
To Hit 1 (BAB) + 2 (Dex) +1 Nimble, 1d6 + 1 damage, 100/150/200 Range
Dagger
To Hit 1 (BAB) + 0 (Str), 1d4 damage

Equipment:
Dagger			3		1
Radiance Pistol		200		2
Power Cell (x3)		30		0.5
Binoculars		20		1
Glowbug (x3)		15		-
Thermal Flare (x2)	10		-
Backpack		5		2
Belt			0.2		0.5
Boots (Plain)		2		1
Cloak (Long)		1		1.5
Clothes (Peasant)	0.5		2
Purse			0.5		0.2
Rope (50')		1		5
Sack, Small		1		0.1
Tinder Box		3		0.5

Totals			330.2		53.3

Coins:
25 gp, 6 sp, 20 cp

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Peregrine, Cyber-beastwoman Scout

"Excuse me," a heavily accented voice breaks in after the halfling. A very tall woman in armor approaches the group, a crumpled, dirty paper held out in one hand. As she comes closer, it becomes clear it's not actually armor. This is one of cyborg beastmen rumors claim live in the northern wastes, in the flesh - well, flesh and metal. "You are being the one who made this?" She holds out the ad, glancing around at the group.

"I am called Peregrine. I am looking for adventures. You say that you will find adventures. So I will go with you." Peregrine nods, as if this is a given. "I am a scout. I am a good shot, a fast runner, strong swimmer. I will be helpful to you."

quote:

Peregrine
Level 1 Lupine

0/2000 XP

Ability Scores
pre:
Str     14     +1
Int     11     +0
Wis     13     +1
Dex     16     +2
Con     12     +0
Cha     09     +0
Stats
HP: 6/6
AC: 7
BAB: +1
Init: +2
Move: 40'

Natural Attacks
Claw/Bite Atks: 1
Claw/Bite Dmg: 1d4
Unarmed Atk As: -

Thief Abilities
Find Traps: +1
Remove Traps: +1
Climb Walls: +17
Move Silently: +3
Hide In Shadows: +1

Saving Throws
Death Ray/Poison: +8
Magic Wands: +7
Paralyis/Petrify: +6
Breath Weapon: +5
Rod/Staff/Spell: +4

Combat
pre:
Claw/Bite   +2     1d4+1      
R. Rifle    +3     1d10        300/500/700
Weapon Feats
Radiance Rifle [B]
Unarmed Strike [B]

Skills
Jumping (Str)
Navigating (Wis)
Swimming (Str)
Tracking (Wis)

Equipment (1gp)
Radiance Rifle
Power Cell
Glowbug (2)
Thermal Flare (2)
Telescoping Pole
Backpack
Rations (1wk, dried)

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Lenore

Lenore leans out of the way of Simeon's fists punch the air quite near her head. It'd be embarrassing if she were knocked unconscious so early in her adventuring career.

"With all due respect, that sounds less like a true plan than a fond wish." She pulled a map (that I really hope Dagon's ok with me having) from her pack; it was rather empty, but at least showed towns, farmlands, roads, and other major features of the land. "I don't know about anyone else, but in my experience you can't wait for the big break, you have to make it. If we're short on ideas, perhaps we could start small and look for opportunity while we make enough to maintain day-to-day living?"

Using a nearby tree, she spread out the map to show the western half. "If you look at the surrounding area, every town is connected by waterway, land route, or the Radiance line. Every town... except this one." Her finger pointed to the town (hex 25:37) in question. "It's the better part of a week to get there, and it's not a town likely to get a lot of visitors. It's got farmlands around it so it's self-sufficient; no need for regular food deliveries. They're likely rather cut off from outside communication.

"Say we spend a day collecting correspondence that needs delivered to that town, letters and the like, and set out. We charge half now, half on delivery. We get paid for making the travel, we get closer to the border where there's likely to be more for us to do, and we keep an eye out along the way for opportunity. And if we don't find anything between here and there," here, her finger trails along the road running several days to the west of the town, "well, I'm sure there's other opportunities we can find after that."

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 7, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Simeon

Simeon stares at the map. It was a good enough plan. Lenore definitely had a good head on her shoulders.

"I agree. I'm sure that opportunity will present itself when the time is right."

He looks around at the others as they come forward out of the crowds. It was quite the eclectic mix, to say the least.

"Mr. Nimblefingers, glad to have you aboard. Ms. Blackthorn, I'm sure your talents will serve us well. And um...Ms...Peregrine?" For a moment, he's at a loss for words. "Well, as Montblanc always says: sometimes you have to go looking for something new - Sometimes it comes to you."

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

That is a great start, a good plan, and yes I'm cool with you having the map. Assuming no objections or other ideas by this evening, I'll move you along as mail carriers headed for Kola Kosar.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Dagon posted:

That is a great start, a good plan, and yes I'm cool with you having the map. Assuming no objections or other ideas by this evening, I'll move you along as mail carriers headed for Kola Kosar.

OOC: Cost of the map? Please be less than 6 sp, please be less than 6 sp

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Byers2142 posted:

OOC: Cost of the map? Please be less than 6 sp, please be less than 6 sp

Its a freebie.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Dagon posted:

Its a freebie.

OOC: Dagon is a good mod.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Let's get on the road! Slackers can catch up on the way out the city gates or something.

The search for people needing parcels to go to Kola Kosar isn't too difficult, and by the end of the day, you have a decent selection of parcels and packages, enough to load down a small wagon. Unfortunately, the price of a cart, two mules, feed, and tack eats up any profits you might have had on the front end of this venture. On the upside, there is 200 gold waiting for you in Kola Kosar!

The majority of things you have been given to deliver are large packages. Supplies, gift baskets, and that sort of thing. Smaller items, like letters, would probably be more profitable in a money to weight ratio, but it seems everyone these days is using the Aethernet. Still, you manage to get a few that are presumably too sensitive or to unimportant and need to be delivered by hand.

You also pick up a little information about your destination. Kola Kosar began its existence as a crusader outpost, back when that was a thing. It is, as Lenore figured, mostly self sufficient. Being out on the borders of the Beast Woods like that, it has to be. Beastman raids occur at least weekly, but the people there have persevered, thanks to four-century old fortifications that were built to last and an aggressive town militia draft policy.

Day turns to night, and you are ready to depart with the rising sun on a frosty morning.

Current Date: Tijhur, Andrumir 1st, Ning XII

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Simeon

Simeon sits on the laden cart, idly watching the foot traffic as Uthorrad wakes up. This was his favorite time of day. It gave a man time alone to think. He brings his hands up under his armpits, to ward off the early morning chill; The crinkle of paper makes him exhale sharply.

He pulls the letter out of his breast pocket, and reads the words over again. Was it real? Some kind of joke? Perhaps it didn't matter. Things were already going far better than he could have hoped. With a bit more luck, and a lot of speed, they'd all arrive in Kola Kosar with time enough to spare for whatever lay in wait there.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Matilda Blackthorn

This was the life. The open road. Learning new things under a different sky each day. The monastery was a good place to grow, and a fine place for training. But training was only learning by rotes, old patterns, old schematics. To learn required experience, and meant leaving the bounds of those gray metal walls. She would miss some things, of course. The chanting, the fellowships, and of course the sex. Those had all been wonderful and she was grateful for them. One day she would come pass on what she gathered out here. But for now?

The open road.

"Couriers. A noble profession," she says to no one in particular. "To be trusted with information is a very high honor indeed."

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Lenore

Lenore made her way to the embarking point the next morning, using the last bit of bread crust from her breakfast to scrape her teeth. Her meager funds hadn't let her stay in true comfortable, but it was better than the rough times ahead. She was no stranger to the rough road, but preferred soft pillows and heavy covers when she could get them.

She looked with pride on the cart Simeon sat on; the group had come together well yesterday to put this job together in a day, but this was her idea, and in her heart it was her job. She nodded at Matilda's comment. "Not just information either." Lenore tapped a sealed box near Simeon's feet. "This could be money, payment for the services of a guardsman. Maybe it's a family heirloom, sent to reminder a soldier what he has to come home to. We're being trusted to connect the people of Kola Kosar with the rest of the world. It's not exciting, but it's vital."

OOC: Spend 3 sp for one last, cheap stay in civilization before we set out.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Peregrine

Peregrine lopes up to the cart, having spent the night sleeping in a barn loft as few are willing to sell a room to a beastwoman. She waves at the others as she gets close. "Is good day for travels. Clear skies. Cold weather, with walking to keep us warm."

She walks around the cart, looking it over so she remembers what it looks like and what it holds, then crouches down on her haunches to wait for everyone else to arrive. "We bring all this to other town? Maybe we find other adventure on the way."

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Lazarus

It had been a good idea. A simple job that would let the group gauge each other's abilities before they tackled something more dangerous. Lazarus didn't think of delivering packages and letters as the height of excitement, but it was true that they all needed the money. Lazarus did his part as he could, asking around to see if anyone needed anything delivered to the small, isolated village. He was surprised at the amount of items the group had collected, however. It was more than he anticipated.

"Quite a collection! I am pleased. Hopefully the villagers are as well." He heard the beastwoman's words. "Yes, we should be careful, I think. Such an assortment may draw bandits if they stalk the roads. Although, our group is rather..." He looks to the beastwoman. "...unorthodox and..." Next, he looks at the halfling. "...eclectic. So, perhaps our number and arms will insure that they do not bother us. We should definitely make sure to protect the cart. Losing all of these items would make for a very irate group of villagers there and townspeople here!"

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

The horns of a military unit calling out for a muster are a good a sign as any for you to get on your way. Luckily, they are going the other direction, or else the west gates would be very crowded. No need to register your destination or anything, the North is a wild place and the guards are more concerned about what is trying to get in, rather than getting out. Still, the more non-human members of your party get some suspicious glares. Tensions are clearly high when it comes to anyone who might be an outsider.

The first day of the trip is uneventful, as you pass through the farmlands around Uthorrad, and begin on the long journey across the plains.

In the morning of the second day of your journey, you come across a campsite. A thoroughly doused firepit is ringed by still-warm stones that looked to have been dragged into place. Not much further away, the grass and brush is flattened in places, probably by tents and bedrolls, three or so in number. Clearly, other travelers, probably hunters or trappers, have made camp here and recently too. There are no tracks or other trace of them as far as the eye can see though.

A bit later in the same day, off to the north of your route, you spot some quite large vultures circling and occasionally dropping to the ground. It looks like they might be carrying something? You also can hear an odd baying call, like that of a dog that yowls rather than barking, coming from the same direction.

Stragglers can still feel free to insert themselves like they were always there. It might get a little harder the longer you wait, though.

Current Date: Wojhur, Andrumir 2nd, Ning XII

@38.44, (I)nvestigate or (C)ontinue?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Thyrin

He's seen this before. Carrion is part of the life in the wilderness, no need to concern oneself with it. At worst you make a beast that wants to eat it think you want its food. Best just stay away.

Continue

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Lenore

Lenore paused as she walked in front of the mules, and has to quickly sidestep as one of them, a nasty biter she'd quickly dubbed as rear end in a top hat, tried to run her over. As he passed, rear end in a top hat snapped at her in annoyance. She didn't really notice, as her attention was to the north.

Her experience is more in getting from point A to point B, and she doesn't have a lot of experience with the animals that exist in areas in between civilized point A and forgotten/ruined point B. Still, vultures and howling would point to something just over there, right? Her nerves were already a little on edge after the camp they passed in the morning; people don't just disappear, but Peregrine had been sure that there were no tracks leading away from that campsite.

"We're getting close to lunch, yes? Maybe we can stop here, and a few of us could check to see what's going on just over the hill there before we move on?"

Vote Investigate; this mail run was a means to get us moving, maybe we're fated to find something exciting?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Simeon

It had been a good start to the journey. Reasonably quick, and nobody had left in disgust or started any unnecessary fights. Even the odd movements of the one called Peregrine had started to seem almost familiar after such a short time. People, it seemed, were people, no matter what shape they took.

As the group pauses to look at the odd scene in the skies, Simeon considers their options. There's really only one conclusion to him, though.

"We'll, that's interesting, but we might as well just keep moving. It's probably just some animals doing animal things. I don't want to fall behind schedule if I can help it."

Continue

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Peregrine

"Maybe is nothing."

Peregrine appears up on the cart, using the height to get a better view around. She'd been ranging away from it, not so far as to be out of sight if one had sharp eyes, but the sounds drew her back to the rest of the group.

She turns her cybernetic eyes towards the others. "Maybe is something. I say look, and know. Go quietly, go unseen, can decide with knowledge if is kind of trouble we want."

Voting to Investigate.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Ada Bonnet

Ada, who has absolutely been here the entire time, gives an exaggerated sigh.

"Courtier work may be technically good work, but it's so far been decidedly boring. We investigate. maybe it's something EXCITING."

pre:
Ada Bonnet
Level 1 Fighter

0/2,000 XP

Strength	16 +2
Intelligence	11 +0
Wisdom		09 +0
Dexterity	14 +1
Constitution	13 +1
Charisma	12 +0

HP		9/9
AC		4 (-1 vs 2)
BAB		+1
Initiative	+1
Move		30

D. Ray/Poison	+8
Magic Wands	+7
Paral./Petrif.	+6
Breath Weapon	+5
Rod/Staff/Spell	+4

Combat
Stylish Rapier	+3 1d8+2
Dagger		+3 1d4+2
Dagger (thrown)	+2 1d4+2 10/20/30
Radiance Pistol	+2 1d6   100/150/200

Skills
Balance (Dex)
Bluff (Cha)
Jumping (Str)
Performance: Singing (Cha)

Weapon Feats
Dagger
Radiance Pistol
Shield, Buckler
Sword, Normal

Equipment
			Weight	Cost
Backpack		2	5
Belt			.5	.2
Boots (fancy)		1.5	5
Cloak (short)		1	.5
Clothes (noble)		2	20
Dagger (5)		5	15
Mirror (steel)		0.5	5
Power Cell		0	10
Purse			.2	.5
Radiance Pistol		2	200
Rations (dry)		7	15
Shield, Buckler		2	6
Sword, Normal		6	10
Thermal Flare (4)	0	20
Waterskin (full)	3	1 
Woven Body Armor	10	40
TOTAL			42.7	354.2

Coins: 5 gp 8 sv

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Matilda Blackthorn

"There are no coincidences, only oppertunities. Let's go see what happened." It was simple enough. She had not left her dusty confines to not see the world, after all.

Investigate, duh

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

4 votes to 2, with 6 of 8 active players post, calling it a win for Investigate.

As you begin to get close, the birds seem to scatter. They circle high above, a dozen or so in all, but still the baying noise continues from the ground. Closer still, and its source seems to be some kind of large nest on the ground, a small hillock with many large rocks protruding like a crown, and between them, grasses and sticks.

The head of a vulture pokes out, looking at you, then lets out a whimpering dog's cry, and leaps out of the nest with a clumsy stroke of its wings. Four large dog's paws hit the ground, as this bird is equally as much dog as bird! A cacophony of screeches come from above, as the adult Vulturehounds dive to protect their lair!

Roll initiative! Remember, in DerD, it is a d20, plus dex modifier, plus anything else you might have. If you declare what you are going to do, you get another +1. If you don't decide until your turn, you get a -1.

pre:
7 Vulturehounds: AC 5; MV 30, Fl 54; HD 2; BAB +1; Attacks 1d3/1d3/1d4; XP 65
4 Pups: AC 5; MV 30; HD 1(d4); BAB +0; Attack 1d2; XP 10

Dagon fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 11, 2014

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Lazarus

Dogs weren't much to worry about, Lazarus had thought, but vultures...vultures means death, or someone close to it. He hoped they weren't too late as the party went to investigate, but the monsters who attacked were the last thing he expected. He reached for his radiance pistol. Perhaps, he thought, if we manage to take down some of the adults, the gunfire will drive them away.

Initiative: 1d6+1 = 4 Initiative: 1d20+1+2 = 20

(Lazarus is going to shoot at one of the adults, preferably one that's already been hit, on his turn, if that's not clear.)

Spincut fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 11, 2014

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Lenore

"Oh, hells..."

Lenore pulled her pistol and stood still, waiting for the scene to develop ebfore she acted.

Dagon posted:

Roll initiative! Remember, in DerD, it is a d6, plus dex modifier, plus anything else you might have. If you declare what you are going to do, you get another +1. If you don't decide until your turn, you get a -1.

OOC: Dagon, is this a change from the rules? I show d20 for the roll, with +2 if you declare and -2 if you don't. Just want to make sure I roll the right thing.

Lenore's declaring her action on her turn, not before.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Simeon

Simeon had followed along with the others, despite his objections. This was a group venture, and majority ruled.

And now they were being attacked by horrible bird-dog hybrids. What fun! It wasn't as if they needed to be here; the animals were clearly just defending their own young. Maybe they could get out of here without killing too many for no reason. Simeon was glad that Montblanc had taught him what little magic he knew...

-------------

Initiative: 1d6+2+1 9
Initiative (Correct): 1d20+2+2 22

Casting a Sleep spell on the largest concentration of Vulturehounds on the ground. No sense in making them crash and die! Sleep Spell HD: 2d8 3

drat, just one. Also, I'm unclear if my Weak Magic has any effect at level 1.

Edit: Corrected the initiative roll. It's still awesome :coal:

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 11, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Thyrin

Great! Instead of a carrion eater defending its meal, we now have to deal with beasts defending their young. That's even worse.

On the other hand, they could probably just back away. Thyrin raises his shield and draws the stun baton, ready to defend the group, but shows no open aggression.

Thyrin will attack the first vulturehound closing in on the group (not counting any party members moving towards them) with the stun baton. As such I'm waiting for what the monsters declare.

Initiative: 1d20+1-2 11 or 1d6+1-1 2?

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Oops, yes, 1d20 and +/-2 for initiative. I must have been thinking of basic or something.

Weak Magic is half level, rounded up, so no, nothing at level one.

• Locked thread