Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

There is plenty of blood and butchered Vulturehounds for Lazarus to collect a few blood samples, while the others investigate the nest. The construction looks fairly fresh, and if they were menacing travelers, they hadn't collected any of their wealth yet. Using some spare rope from the wagon, you lasso one of the pups, leaving the others to wait for the adult to wake up or fly back. It squaks and barks in complaint at first, but once you are back on the road it trots right along.

Making a compromise with the pets/leave them.

Back on the road, it is smooth sailing for the next day or so. On the morning of the third day of travel, you come across what must have been the site of some kind of battle. The ground is torn up in areas, as if by heavy traffic, and burnt and dead in other spots. The smell of blood lingers, though it has already soaked into the ground. A few broken and unusable weapons, armor, and unidentifiable miscellany lie around, their crudeness leading you to believe this was the work of beastmen or barbarians. Or both.

To your north and south both, you see wisps of smoke and a few tents in the distance, while further ahead along your route, there seems to be a small village, though no roads, trails, or farms are around it.

@36.43, (N)orth, (S)outh, or (C)ontinue?

Current Date: Thajhur, Andrumir 3rd, Ning XII

Dagon fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Matilda Blackthorn

"Foul things," Matilda says nudging one with the toe of her sandal. "Better for them that they are no more."

As the day passes, she finds herself enjoying the travel.

"Hey, a village! We should go see if they have any parcels for us to carry onwards. At the least we might rest up for the night."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Thyrin

"Yes, better than resting in the wilderness for sure.", Thyrin agrees with Matilda, "If they have more work for us and can pay for it, all the better!"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Simeon

"I agree as well. Let's see if we can get a real roof over our heads."

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Lazarus

"Agreed. The village has more opportunities for us, and considering the sight we came across recently, I'm more than a little wary of the campsite nearby. Perhaps the villagers would have more information for us on what transpired there."

He looked to Peregrine.

"Might want to try to cover up your appearance if possible, Peregrine. These backwater villages aren't as welcoming as us to outsiders, and it's likely they would be downright hostile to you."

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Lenore

Lenore shook her head at Lazarus's advice. "Might not be a good idea to go in disguised, though; if the problems here are caused by beastmen and we try to sneak Peregrine in, they might think we're working with the perpetrators of all this." Her hands waved vaguely at the destruction around.

"Secrets always out, and it's worse to have this come out later than sooner. Let's walk in with pride, as we all are, and let the dice lie."

Voting go to the village as well.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Simeon

"And if there is trouble, never fear. I'm sure I can talk our way out of anything."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Thyrin

"And even if that doesn't help, we know how to help ourselves out of that situation", Thyrin adds with a grin.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

The village is small, perhaps only being home to a few dozen inhabitants when it was populated. The buildings are still intact structurally, though any useful contents are gone, replaced with a layer of dust and dirt. Cloth awnings and curtains are faded, but still flutter in the wind. It doesn't look like anyone has lived here for months.

@35.44, (I)nvestigate or (C)ontinue?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Lenore

Lenore walked in doubt. She was used to living places, or long-dead places. Not this, not recently dead, recently abandoned. Not just abandoned, but shunned.

"Why wouldn't whomever is in the tents have come into the village to stay?" She glanced again at the stripped, deserted homes. "There's something strange here, something that might be more important than mail. I think we at least need to take a day, see what has happened here."

Investigate

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Simeon

Simeon frowns at Thyrin's comment. "I don't think we should be so eager to fight. It sets a bad precedent."

He nods at Lenore's observation. "It's worth giving at least a cursory look, in case there's anything important to know. I'd rather not spend longer than we need to here. It's rather unnerving."

Let's check it out.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Thyrin

"I'm not as eager as you seem to think I am. I'm just saying we shouldn't worry about not being able to defend ourselves if we come across people who don't like us", he replies to Simeon.

"It's a harsh land - and a dangerous one. The people probably realized they were too few to really defend themselves if someone came for them, packed their things, and moved to a bigger town", Thyrin declares. "Whatever happened, though, means we have a free room and a roof over our heads tonight."

Investigate

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 24, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Peregrine

"If plan to sleep here, will need to check carefully." Peregrine adjusts her rifle to hang so she can hold it with one hand, ready to fire, and pulls out a glowbug with the other. "In case of cellars. Should we split up into pairs?"

Investigate!

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Miranda Hurfendurf

"Interesting," the young scholar monk says. "Why would everyone have left? We should have a lookie loo."

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Lazarus

Lazarus nodded at Lenore. "You're right. We shouldn't have to cover up our teammates to try and fit in."

As they entered the abandoned village, a chill crept up his spine. Where did these people go? And why? He idly wondered if the camp nearby had something to do with it.

"I agree with Peregrine, it might be good to split up into pairs. One melee and one ranged per group."

Investigate!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Philo Nimblefingers

Philo raises an eyebrow at Lazarus's words. Yes in a perfect world they shouldn't have to conceal their allies, but in the world they live in they don't have that luxury, after all even Philo would be looked at askance by some. Still one can hope for no conflict, and besides there is a mystery afoot it seems.

Yeah Investigate.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Lenore

Lenore nodded. "Splitting up will let us work faster; if we go in pairs, that's four groups. We can start in the four cardinal directions and work towards the village center. Simeon, this is your show, what's the pairings?"

Ahh, yeah, split the party. Dagon is so happy right now.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Ada Bonnet

"If the rest of you want to split up I will, but I think all it does is make us smaller, easier meals."

(I)!

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

A few of you split off in pairs while the rest of you stick together. Luckily, the village is relatively tiny, and you are confident that any screams of terror would be heard by all. Fortunately, depending on your outlook, there isn't much to find. What little food you can find is spoiled, but oddly untouched by vermin or other scavengers. The whole thing is a little spooky, and the wind that howls and echoes through the buildings isn't helping. There don't seem to be any signs of a struggle, either.

Whoever lived here did manage to take their valuables when they left. While there is probably some money to be made in scrapping the whole place for building materials, it would take a lot of time and effort, not to mention more wagons, to take it anywhere useful.

Nothing to see here (or is there?!?).

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Lenore

"This makes no sense." Lenore pointed out at where they'd seen the campfires. "There's signs of battle out there, and people camping out in the elements. In here, there's perfectly serviceable shelter and abandoned food that even the bugs are avoiding. Something is making every living thing except us avoid this village.

"I'd say we either go out and ask one of the people at the campfires what in all of the Hells is going on in this village, or put it out of our minds and continue on. But at this point, staying here gains us nothing except possibly being effected by whatever is going on here."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Simeon

"If we go to the camps, then we had best be ready to defend ourselves. I'm not sure that the inhabitants are exactly the sociable sort. Remember the remains of that battle on our way in?" He idly toes a scrap of cloth on the ground. "I'd just as soon move on to our destination, to be honest."

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

By the time you gather up and head back out of town to look for the others that you passed by, they are gone. It is unclear what might have happened here, but clear that there is nothing of value left to find. Maybe someone in Kola Kosar knows, or needs to know.

Executive Decision here, the village is dumb and you are better off moving through it. There are a bunch of flavored random encounters that are just adding up to bullshit red herrings and stuff.
PS: It was radiation.

Early on the fifth day, you hear the noise of hooves to the north. Riders kick up dirt, headed in the direction of a large outcropping of rock. If they see you, they pay no mind.

@33.41, (I)nvestigate or (C)ontinue?

Current Date: Sejhur, Andrumir 5th, Ning XII

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Simeon

Simeon considers their journey so far. It had been five days since they'd left Uthorrad, and it would be another three or four until they got to Kola Kosar. The abandoned village was still fresh in his mind; They'd already wasted enough time on their journey, hadn't they?

"It's probably just hunters chasing down prey. We should get a move on and deliver these letters promptly. Emphasis should. I can't exactly stop you all from wandering off, but some of us have business to manage!"

(C)ontinue!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Thyrin

"They're not coming for us, so best leave them alone. We're not in search of trouble. It will be enough when trouble comes for us."

(C)ontinue

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Lenore

"I'd agree; if they needed help, they'd ask. They're going about their business, we should go about ours."

Continue. Also, we almost party wiped from radiation sickness!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

We're probably all sterile now

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Green Intern posted:

We're probably all sterile now

"Don't we need protection?"

"Nah, baby, it's cool, I spent time in this radiation-filled village. Growing the third ball was worth it!"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Did someone buy some RadAway or should I change my character's name to Thyroid?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Take a page from STALKER and drink vodka until the radiation goes away.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Sorry, Thanksgiving and then a rough work week kicked my rear end for a bit. Back at it now, though.

Later on on the fifth day, another rock outcropping is spotted. This one appears to have some sort of structure built on top of it. But at this point you are getting sick of the road and should be reaching your destination soon ("soon"), so it is ignored.

A few more days on the road, and early on your 8th day of travel you spot Kola Kosar on the horizon. It doesn't seem particularly well defended, just a short wooden palisade with a few squad watchtowers around a collection of stone buildings with thatched roofs. A few hundred people, perhaps, live here. What they lack in walls, they must make up for in manpower, as a squad of five guards meets you at the gate. You can see even more patrolling nearby and hear the sounds of drills from inside.

"Halt! State your business here." One guard, presumably the leader of this bunch, says, stopping you a few yards away from the gate. Most of their gear is shabby, giving them away as an inexperienced militia, but the leader wears a modern armored vest with a prominent patch on the chest, a pair of vermilion wings sprouting from a eye.

Current Date: Tijhur, Andrumir 8th, Ning XII

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Simeon

Finally. Kola Kosar! It wasn't particularly impressive, but welcome enough after the week of travel. Simeon steps forward.

"My good man, we are couriers from Uthorrad, carrying correspondence and parcels for Kola Kosar. If you could be so good as to take us to the magister - Seebius, I believe? - we will distribute our cargo to its rightful owners."

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

"Come to deliver the mail, eh?" The guard sneers. "Seems like an awful lot of you for a simple haul. We'll just have to take a look around your cart here." He motions, and a couple of nervous looking recruits to to peek in, around, and under the wagon, stopping with a yelp when they reach the rear, where your pet vulturehound is tied up.

"Who does that belong to?"

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Lenore

Lenore grinned at the question. "Right now? Us. But if you're looking for a brand new family pet and you have the coin, I'm sure that we can come to an arrangement.

"Just don't put your hands too close; she nips."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Thyrin

While letting the others handle the talking, Thyrin keeps wondering about the patch on the guard leader's vest. He's seen it before when he was working as a mercenary, but can't quite place it...

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Ada Bonnet

I'm alive! I swear!

"What you're looking at is a rare, exclusive, upcoming trend in noble pets!"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Peregrine

Peregrine hangs back at first as they reach the settlement. Past experience has shown her kind is not always welcome. She studies the militia men. So many in arms - there must be some threat. She nudges the dwarf and speaks quietly. "Maybe is work here. Red work. Small place should not have so many soldiers, be training so many soldiers more. Must be reason they get ready for a fight."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Philo Nimblefingers

Philo keeps quiet, hoping the others can explain the animal they decided to bring along.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

The guard gives long, suspicious looks at the beast, and your group, and the beast again. "As long as you keep it on a leash and clean up after it. But if it causes any trouble or anything, if I hear one report of some bird-dog-thing eating someone's goat, I'll know its you." He pauses, to clear his throat and try to regain some composure. "The magistrate's office is the big building at the corner, just take a right after the gate and follow the wall."

Thyrin does, in fact, recognize the symbol, but it is not of any mercenary band. A cult once spread in the dwarven holds, speaking of a winged eye from which all wisdom flowed that was said to defeat a serpent-like goddess of magic in a great quest. The cult had a streak of collectivism that resonated with the clannish dwarves, but eventually the fad past and they were run out.

Heading there, it is, in fact, a rather large building, at least for a village of this size. Looks like a converted warehouse, which is confirmed when you step inside and into a small office area, walled off from the rest of the interior. A handsome middle aged man reclines in a chair, reading a book, while a younger woman sorts some papers. Both wear ornate and semi-functional armor. They notice, but don't seem to pay much attention to, your arrival, until the man pipes up. "You look new here. Hargrove Seebius, what can I do for you?"

Sorry, work sucks, hopefully we can get back on track now.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Simeon

This was one of those moments where the right first impression made all the difference. Simeon dusts off his coat and straightens the lapels. Bowing smoothly at the waist towards the magister, he launches wholeheartedly into a greeting.

"Mr. Seebius, it is a pleasure to meet you. My name is Simeon Saint Cloud. My compatriots and I have a large delivery of mail and parcels from Uthorrad, and we hope that such pains as we have taken to transport such items will not go unnoticed. The roads are ever full of danger, as you know. Should you have any further work to be done, we are your men, so to speak." He clears his throat. "That, however, is only part of the reason that I am here."

Simeon slips a hand into his coat and pulls out a letter. Carefully unfolding it, he reads in a clear voice. "Claims must be filed no later than two weeks from the date of this notice, and the provisions of the will fulfilled within 30 days." He smiles broadly. "I trust I am not too late to lay claim to my dearly departed Uncle's estate?"

--------------------
I too have been getting my rear end kicked at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

"Mail?" The Magister laughs. "Are things so dire in the colonies that we have taken to employing couriers for delivery again?" He pauses to regain composure. "I'm sure its recipients will be delighted. Maria, do you mind?" The woman stops what she is doing and turns to speak. "Would you rather deliver the items personally, or I can have a call for collection put out and distribute the items from here."

Turning from that conversation, Seebius takes a look at Simeon's notice. "Well I'll be. Looks like you made it just in time. "Your uncle's body was brought into town by a group of merchants from the North who discovered it along the Red Larch Road. He apparently died from an arrow wound. The only possessions on his person were a dagger, a pouch with 20 gold pieces, a pen, an empty ink pot, and an old bill of sale." He pauses allowing for any shock at the circumstances of death before continuing. "The merchants found his body sitting against a large rock, where he apparently wrote out his will on the back of the bill of sale. When he ran out of ink, he finished it with his own blood. That makes it a holographic will, one written entirely in the handwriting of the deceased, and it is legally acceptable even though it is not witnessed. The will's conditions are somewhat unusual, but they are legally binding on the heirs of the estate. If the conditions are not fulfilled, the keep and all its possessions become forfeit to Kola Kosar. You have only thirty days before I must make my final judgment on the estate. I will now read the will. Please listen carefully to ensure you understand what must be done."

LAST WILL OF THURSTON IRVINE WAKEFIELD
I, Thurston Wakefield, lie dying from a foul arrow. Invaders came in the night, assaulted my keep by surprise, and killed all my retainers. These beastmen fought more fiercely and had in their service a large, red-eyed beast that threw my men-at-arms about like toys . I barely got out my secret door, but not before one of the creatures shot me in the back.
I leave all my property, both real and personal, to any living heir who avenges me by ridding my wonderful home of these foul creatures no later than 60 days after my death. It is my direction that this be done by my heir without help from any but his or her closest companions, so that my heir may prove worthy of the treasure I leave behind and which I trust the monsters have not found.
Avenge me!

• Locked thread