Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I used to be part of the glorious PC master race a few years ago, and switched mostly because I fell behind on upgrades. I've stayed mostly because of the simplicity. On console, you buy the game if it's on your system, you take it home, you play it, usually in the comfort of your own couch in front of the big TV.

On PC, you memorise your current specs (not easy for most people - I used to build computers and I have absolutely no idea how fast the rig my cousin is giving me will be) so you can figure out how many of the superior features you'll actually be able to use. You research if it has restrictive / borderline malware DRM it wants to install, or yet another Origin / Uplay client it needs you to install. Eventually you get the game home (or wait for it to finish downloading) and then go make yourself a coffee while it installs. Maybe multitask and find out if you need to update or roll back your drivers to get it to work. Then when it's done installing and patching, you spend the first hour or so quitting back to the menu and fiddling with the graphics settings until you've reached an acceptable trade-off between graphics and speed. Finally, when all that is done, you can play the game, trying to ignore the hitching as some OS process keeps starting itself in the background. In the bedroom or the office on a small monitor.

Yes PC has mods, but in counterpoint I cite r vs anyone who's tried to get Skyrim to run stable for more than an hour.

I'm just trying to demonstrate that there are valid reasons to play on console and not PC. Not everyone has the time or money to run through all of that, or even the right living situation to make the best of PC gaming. If you do, great; you shine on you crazy diamond.

e: I'm not trying to say consoles are better - they're not. I'm just saying PC gaming is not as flawless as everyone makes out and for many, consoles are a far more accessible compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I agree there's something to be said for the accessibility and hassle free nature of a console. PC gaming offers superior quality but you have to put work into actually playing a game and maintaining and tweaking stuff. I use mine as a console via steam big picture hooked up to the tv, but playing ini tweaking or "find out why the game crashes on startup" or "better exit and force x graphics feature in the control panel" sometimes reminds me why i played on consoles for so long to begin with

but then the sales rule and the games look and run totally awesome and i learn cool tech savvy in the process

also consoles are basically just static spec PCs these days that all share the same library so i'd rather get the hot new games cheaper and run them better

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

:staredog:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
you're right and i think most adults think that anyway.

the correct choice is not: pc or console.

it is: game with friends or without. who gives a poo poo what you game on if you're not gaming with friends or cannot enjoy the social aspect of it?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

VideoGames posted:

you're right and i think most adults think that anyway.

the correct choice is not: pc or console.

it is: game with friends or without. who gives a poo poo what you game on if you're not gaming with friends or cannot enjoy the social aspect of it?

entertaining a room full of people with mario party running at 1080p is pretty boss

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I haven't had to check specs for a game in years. I saved all my bucks to make sure I didn't have to think about that for a long time. Besides there's very few games at this point that are not available on Steam and installation with Steam is easy.

I still play on console though since there are just some games on console only.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I used to think that consoles were simpler.

Then I bought Skyrim on the PS3 on launch day :negative: and learned what happens on a console when the game gets hosed. Once I got it on the pc on sale a year later for 7 bucks I was able to console command anything else that needed fixing.

I enjoy lots of stuff on my consoles but after that experience and a few others like it I only want to buy console games that aren't available on PC, don't have a large modding community there or which are really fun and unique.

The patching process for some of the consoles needs to be adjusted. I hope they've done so with the current Gen because the "certification" process from last Gen really hosed some stuff up.

Consoles are a hell of a lot of fun and no platform is perfect. Most of the trouble with consoles seems to be rooted in retarded business practices these days.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The PC

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Cyra posted:

I agree there's something to be said for the accessibility and hassle free nature of a console. PC gaming offers superior quality but you have to put work into actually playing a game and maintaining and tweaking stuff. I use mine as a console via steam big picture hooked up to the tv, but playing ini tweaking or "find out why the game crashes on startup" or "better exit and force x graphics feature in the control panel" sometimes reminds me why i played on consoles for so long to begin with

but then the sales rule and the games look and run totally awesome and i learn cool tech savvy in the process

also consoles are basically just static spec PCs these days that all share the same library so i'd rather get the hot new games cheaper and run them better

Wii U

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

agreed

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

when it comes to pc gaming, it's the little things... being able to bind everything how i want, being able to do those tweaks that remove the god drat intro videos that you certainly can't skip on a console, being able to easily share screenshots n' poo poo, and if something is out for both consoles and pc, it's cheaper on the pc, period. i can buy cd keys from some russian dude for 15% off at the minimum for a new release. got the new call of duty for $45.

that said, i've been a lot happier with console gaming than i used to be ever since i got a CronusMax, those things are fuckin awesome. i can rebind all the buttons however i want and i can use a wii u pro controller on my PS3 :cool:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Dexters Secret posted:

i can buy cd keys from some russian dude for 15% off at the minimum for a new release. got the new call of duty for $45.

I hope you monitor your account balances regularly.

VVVVVVVVV

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Widestancer posted:

I hope you monitor your account balances regularly.

paypal

G2A is legit

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've probably spent more times trying to get Dark Souls working well on my PC than actually playing the game.

Other than that, I enjoy gaming on PC. I mainly go the cheap game route, so between steam sales and PS+ I get a lot of games for cheap (or free) and enjoy them. Then for Nintendo games I pony up and buy them on Wii U.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
PC gaming is fun.

Console gaming is fun.

Buy a Wii U.

muddream
Oct 13, 2014

Console to play multiplayer games (even playing field in terms of hardware, hardly any cheating, couch coop/vs) and real exclusives.

PC for catching up on $10 Steam sale GOTY versions of all the games I missed and am now able to play in 1080p/60fps on a laptop.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
You're right OP in that PC games on a bargain is certainly more work than consoles. I bought a modern, "good" pc (North of 2,000$) about 3 years ago and games are all happy to just automatically set themselves to high-quality-everything and not worry about performance. Except Shadows of Mordor, that sucker drinks. Anyway, pc games had been targeting the old gen consoles for years so your pc hardware could get away with stagnancy for a while without worrying about performance.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

PC is like enjoying fine wine and quality dining.

consoles are like getting plastered and loving a fat chick.

they both have their place, but one is obviously better than the other

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
pconsole

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I easily spent 3k on my rig from 5 years ago, and this Christmas probably about 1000 on it

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I mostly play on the PC now. I got a PS4 when Destiny came out and I burnt out on that game insanely fast and I have nothing else to play for it but PS+ games. Thankfully the new Binding of Isaac is one of them now so I'll actually have something to do after I hook the PS4 back up.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

I easily spent 3k on my rig from 5 years ago, and this Christmas probably about 1000 on it

that sounds like an extremely sick rig

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Where do handhelds fit in OP. I play my 3DS and Vita a lot too.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

zen death robot posted:

True gamers play where the gaming just seems right for that moment in time.

:greencube:

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Tossing my hat in the "I spent $2000 on a pc" ring

i have mixed feelings

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zen death robot posted:

How? I'm not trying to be nosy, but I seriously don't get how.

2 monitors ,mechanical keyboard, nice mouse, nice mouse pad, solid state drives, SLI cards, i7, custom case, I mean poo poo adds up quick. The water cooling set up was a bitch in itself. Now I'm thinking 2 980s for Xmas and a 4k monitor since new games support 4k

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
all paid for on welfare dollars

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zen death robot posted:

Oh yeah I'm like the one PC gamer that doesn't do dual monitors.

I just have one 4GB GTX770SC and with one monitor it runs everything really well, but the fans get kinda loud sometimes. I might have to break down and put a side fan into the case, but the way I have it now the inside stays totally dust-free. :\

Keeping the temp low is crucial for running games better and having stuff last longer

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I have three monitors so I can watch anime, play games and browse the forums all at once. All my consoles hook up to my main game monitor too. I highly recommend this setup to anyone who can do so.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
i have never understood the purpose of more than one monitor

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Cyra posted:

i have never understood the purpose of more than one monitor

you get to have two screens

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

zen death robot posted:

Oh yeah I'm like the one PC gamer that doesn't do dual monitors.

I just have one 4GB GTX770SC and with one monitor it runs everything really well, but the fans get kinda loud sometimes. I might have to break down and put a side fan into the case, but the way I have it now the inside stays totally dust-free. :\

Do you have a fan controller? I put one in an available slot and it's worked wonders.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

zen death robot posted:

You spent $2000 on a PC man, what the gently caress.

E: Oh wait, you have that loving VAT Tax loving you over in Canada...I forget :911:

That, plus I needed the thing to be able to quickly render terrible and ugly 3d shorts

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I've been playing on both for 13+ years. Over the past year I've put about $1000 into upgrading my PC, and I'll be getting a PS4 pretty soon. I prefer the PC but a lot of good games are console exclusive. I don't get people who pick one or the other, unless you can't afford a good computer.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I use a second monitor for non-gaming stuff. Gaming? Just use the primary monitor.

Earlier this year I spent $1100 on a PC, getting an i5 (you don't need an i7 for gaming), a GTX760 (so far I haven't had any issues with slowdowns in games) 8GB of RAM, and a 250GB SSHD. That's really all you need to spend.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i only game with one monitor, but having two is great for when i'm trying to work or write

if i had a choice, i'd rather play most games on my wii U but between lovely bundles and steam sales, and exclusives i game on PC a lot more

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 6, 2014

Dec 26, 2012

the only reason i dont have 2 monitors is because i have a laptop that i use for poo poo id use a 2nd for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Well nowadays consoles are just low grade PCs anyway so the only deal draw card is exclusive titles

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I mostly play on the PC now. I got a PS4 when Destiny came out and I burnt out on that game insanely fast and I have nothing else to play for it but PS+ games. Thankfully the new Binding of Isaac is one of them now so I'll actually have something to do after I hook the PS4 back up.
Uncharted 4 as well coming next year *woop woop woop*

• Locked thread