Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
http://www.amazon.com/oc/echo/ref_=ods_dp_ae

I just saw this a few minutes ago. I have zero need for this. But I want to see it work.
Will Google Now and Alexa have to fight it out in my home. Can I make that happen. That would be cool.

I mean, yeah it's just a fancy bluetooth speak that can answer questions. I don't know why I'm so intrigued.

Edit: goddamn stupid not picking tag self!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
It's kinda weird but at the same time interesting. Basically 0.1 version of "Computer" (Star Trek) or "Jarvis" (Iron Man). Competitors like Siri/Ok Google/Cortana are all tied to your phone/peripherals which are single user whereas this is targeted towards a multi-user setup. I signed up, but we'll see if I actually order if I get an invite.

Not a big fan of the lack of Spotify/Pandora integration. Having to use Bluetooth for those is pretty lame.

Fatal fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 6, 2014

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

I signed up because I am looking for a speaker for my room and because this seems like a pretty neat idea.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
"Echo, play a song by Calvin Harris"

*Bleep Bloorp* "You're google play account has been charged $16.95 for I Invented Disco by Calvin Harris"

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I can envision SOMETHING like this in the future littered throughout the house doing our bidding. Controlling lights, sound, tv, news, weather, etc. I'm happy that someone is putting something in the market and it has my curiosity, but not my full attention. I'll be watching what 2.0 brings and hope that in ten years we have some sweet competition in this space.

I especially like the idea of de-tethering all of these types of things from our phones/mobiles/tablets. The 1:1 nature of smartphones/tablets to people really disconnects the communal usage of the devices.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm intrigued, registered for an invite so we'll see what happens. I was also weirdly happy that a company was able to keep a completely brand new product a secret until they launched it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
The price for prime is reasonable and not outrageous like I would have imagined. I am an early adopter (read: idiot) of most things tech and if I get an invite I might pull the trigger.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I'll definitely be picking this up for $100.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those who signed up for an invite, did you receive any notice to your email? I signed up through my phone but haven't received any sort of notification stating I want an invite.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

For those who signed up for an invite, did you receive any notice to your email? I signed up through my phone but haven't received any sort of notification stating I want an invite.

Nope. I have no email confirmation.
But if I go back to the amazon page and click on echo, it thanks me for signing up.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
So it's siri, but maybe better, but also stuck in my house instead of mobile in my pocket? idgi

That said, I requested an invite because a fool and his money :shepspends:

Dyslex1c
Jun 15, 2012

topenga posted:

Nope. I have no email confirmation.
But if I go back to the amazon page and click on echo, it thanks me for signing up.

Same here. So we will see. Yeah I easily just throw my wallet at crap like this. Especially for the Amazon Prime price.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I signed up for it since I hate money but my phone can do everything that can do. This will fail harder than their phone. Are we watching Amazons demise because of dumb expensive tech production choices?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

jabro posted:

I signed up for it since I hate money but my phone can do everything that can do. This will fail harder than their phone. Are we watching Amazons demise because of dumb expensive tech production choices?

Amazon makes its money selling everything under the sun to people, not from the handful of hardware devices they throw out there. The money lost from these devices doesn't mean much to them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The voice recognition and just about everything else it does would be server side, it won't cost them much at all. It's a Bluetooth speaker with wifi.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Aphrodite posted:

The voice recognition and just about everything else it does would be server side, it won't cost them much at all. It's a Bluetooth speaker with wifi.

R&D costs money. Their other devices aren't this simple either.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Cool, I've been feeling like not enough devices are designed to pick up things I say in my home and send it across the Internet to stay in cloud storage.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
The product video looks neat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GijLoiVkmYI

I "applied" (lol) for the $99 dealie. Let's see if Bezos thinks I am cool enough.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I was actually just looking for a bluetooth or wifi speaker the other day, and now this thing exists. For Prime price, I feel like it deserves a shot.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
It looks kind of like a less interesting Jibo, without any of the webcam functionality. With that said, it's pretty cheap (especially with Prime) and coming from Amazon it has a better chance of launching with all the promised functionality. I may grab one, for $100 at least it's probably worth it as another bluetooth speaker at the very least.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I don't think it has a battery of any kind. Could be where they're cutting some costs.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TraderStav posted:

I don't think it has a battery of any kind. Could be where they're cutting some costs.

Right, it needs to be plugged in.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

TraderStav posted:

Oh

Well, that sucks.

I was looking at it as a large bluetooth speaker that I could argue with when I'm drinking. It's not a bad price if there is any kind of sound quality there, but no battery? poo poo.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ZombieParts posted:

Oh

Well, that sucks.

I was looking at it as a large bluetooth speaker that I could argue with when I'm drinking. It's not a bad price if there is any kind of sound quality there, but no battery? poo poo.

For what it is though, I'd rather they put the money into sound quality / processing than a battery.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even if it had a battery, it connects to wifi itself, not through a tether. So it wouldn't work for travel anyway.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
After seeing Interstellar last night I feel like this is the first step to TARS (since it has a decent voice, unlike Siri & Google Now)

Folly
May 26, 2010
Moto Hint seems generally more useful, and it's only $150.

Plus, I really don't like the idea of letting Amazon, of all companies, put an always-on microphone in my house. They're probably the only company that would be more likely to abuse that than Google is. I'm half tempted to buy one just so I can say "I need to buy socks" over and over again without the activation word, just to see if it pops up on my recommended purchases.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
See, you guys post the very logical reasons not to buy this thing (price, it's just a speaker, etc) and I'm all on board. Then you start with the ridiculous poo poo that just makes me want it even more.

I mean, hell yeah I'd start randomly saying I needed socks or pudding just to see what kind of recommendations I'd get.Or if a random Prime Pantry box just appeared.
Argue with it drunk? HELL. YES.

Stop making me want things!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ZombieParts posted:

Oh

Well, that sucks.

Um excuse me, I think you'll find that Dad really likes that Echo just plugs in, so we never have to charge it. It's a feature

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Folly posted:

Moto Hint seems generally more useful, and it's only $150.

$150 and can't even do stereo.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
I got this gadget yesterday, it's actually a pretty nice device and it works very well actually, as for the battery thing the thing is considerably bigger and heavier than your typical Bluetooth speaker, if you are looking for a portable speaker, you should be looking somewhere else.

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 21, 2014

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

$150 and can't even do stereo.

Why would you want something that goes in one ear to do Stereo? How many eardrums do you have in each ear?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

mikemil828 posted:

I got this gadget yesterday, it's actually a pretty nice device and it works very well actually, as for the battery thing the thing is considerably bigger and heavier than your typical Bluetooth speaker, if you are looking for a portable speaker, you should be looking somewhere else.

How's the sound out of it? Comparable to any other bluetooth speaker?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Why would you want something that goes in one ear to do Stereo? How many eardrums do you have in each ear?

Why would you ever want mono music?

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

suddenlyissoon posted:

How's the sound out of it? Comparable to any other bluetooth speaker?

I'm not (really) an audiophile but I find the sound compares quite favorably to speakers of similar price, if given a choice between a Logitech UE Boom and this, Unless I had a serious need to take a speaker with me wherever I go, I'd go with this.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

mikemil828 posted:

I'm not (really) an audiophile but I find the sound compares quite favorably to speakers of similar price, if given a choice between a Logitech UE Boom and this, Unless I had a serious need to take a speaker with me wherever I go, I'd go with this.

Did you get an invite to buy one? I haven't heard anything from Amazon yet. :(

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Why would you ever want mono music?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Stereo is the separation of sound so that you can have a distinct left and right in our Binaural hearing due to having two ears. If you have only one ear being used for sound, that effect is completely wasted as you will not be able to detect the separation of the sound, having only one eardrum. Thus, the inclusion of Stereo has no value.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

Super Dude posted:

Did you get an invite to buy one? I haven't heard anything from Amazon yet. :(

Yes, apparently the first batch of invites was on the 18th.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Stereo is the separation of sound so that you can have a distinct left and right in our Binaural hearing due to having two ears. If you have only one ear being used for sound, that effect is completely wasted as you will not be able to detect the separation of the sound, having only one eardrum. Thus, the inclusion of Stereo has no value.

Yes, and the guy's suggestion was that a silly overpriced Bluetooth headset is better than what's intended primarily as a speaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, and the guy's suggestion was that a silly overpriced Bluetooth headset is better than what's intended primarily as a speaker.

Does the echo only do mono?