Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Yeah, according to the email I just got, now it can voice control Spotify, iTunes and Pandora. Also it will now parrot everything you say if you preface it with "Simon Says". They even recommend using the remote from another room to surprise people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

One of the features I suggested in the big survey they sent was to make it a hands-free telephone hub. It seems perfect for it, I wonder why they don't implement it.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Just got this thing in. Just having an easy way to stream music and start a timer in the kitchen is fantastic.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

This thing seemed gimmicky as gently caress at first but now I'm intrigued

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Since ordering received two emails advising of newer faster ship dates. Today received a delayed notification and a $10 amazon credit for the trouble.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Echo arrived!

Have had it up for 15 minutes and so far I am impressed. I'm not much of an audiophile but sounds good to me and is pretty loud for the size.

We'll see if the novelty wears off but I think it's definitely worth the $99 I paid. I plan to have it in my bedroom as part of my morning get ready routine. If I had the option I'd be tempted to get another one for the living room.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Stugazi posted:

Echo arrived!

Have had it up for 15 minutes and so far I am impressed. I'm not much of an audiophile but sounds good to me and is pretty loud for the size.

We'll see if the novelty wears off but I think it's definitely worth the $99 I paid. I plan to have it in my bedroom as part of my morning get ready routine. If I had the option I'd be tempted to get another one for the living room.

I'm sure you could convince someone else to use their reservation to get you one. Mine's already expired or I'd offer.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Stugazi posted:

Echo arrived!

I've got one that I just can't seem to work into my life, if you want it, hit me a PM.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Since last night my echo has just decided to have a red ring and it says "I can't understand you right now" to everything. Anyone else having this issue?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
New update

quote:

Echo has new updates to help get you through the work week...

Traffic—Last week you asked for traffic reports (Thanks, @nutschell!). We're happy to let you know that they are now available. Enable them in your Amazon Echo app by entering your starting and ending addresses under Settings/Traffic. Then, ask Alexa "How is traffic?" to hear the report.

St. Patrick's Day—And once you've finished that commute home on Tuesday, celebrate the holiday by asking "Alexa, play the Prime Playlist 'Celtic Music'." You can also enjoy a little Irish wit by asking "Alexa, tell me a St. Patrick's Day joke" or "Alexa, where are you from?"

As always, the Amazon Echo team looks forward to your feedback via the Amazon Echo App, and be sure to tag your social media posts with #AmazonEcho!

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
New update, Pandora is now fully accessible on the echo, you can tell it play particular stations, create a station for a particular band and thumbs up/down songs by voice, baseball and soccer scores are also available.

In other news this whole 'invitation to try out Amazon's weird products' thing seems to be working out for them, cuz they have a new weird product. The Amazon dash button, which is basically a button connected to wifi that is tethered to a specific brand (such as tide), just connect the button, tell it through the phone which product you wanna have it order. And when ever you need more, push butan and more gets shipped your way. Need mo diapers? Push the Huggies butan, need mo trash bags? Push the glad butan, and so forth. Unlike the echo, the various companies participating in this will pay for you button for you, tethering you to their product makes it a easy price to pay.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm pretty stoked about adding Pandora, I have to say. My main complaint about the Echo is that playing classical music is pretty much impossible. "Play Carlo Gesualdo" is completely outside the voice parser's expertise.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Out of the box, "Alexa, play music by Michael Jackson" results in the Free Willy song 100% of the time. I feel this is useful knowledge.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

KS posted:

Out of the box, "Alexa, play music by Michael Jackson" results in the Free Willy song 100% of the time. I feel this is useful knowledge.

It's the only Michael Jackson song on Prime.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i got one of these contraptions in. pretty cool, speakers are surprisingly loud, and the voice recognition is slick.

it cant understand how to play paradise city, a song i own, though

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Another update, you can now use Echo to control Phillips Hue bulbs and WeMo devices, just tell it to discover appliances and you can tell echo to turn stuff off and on at your leisure.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Amazon Echo: now connecting to more things I don't want but feel I must have.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm delighted that it integrates with WeMo now. That's not because I have either, but it's because that's one more thing to gently caress with when I go to my friend's house who does.

He gets so many things added to his shopping list every time he leaves the room, so many things.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mikemil828 posted:

Another update, you can now use Echo to control Phillips Hue bulbs and WeMo devices, just tell it to discover appliances and you can tell echo to turn stuff off and on at your leisure.

How do you get it to actually discover these? The first time I tried it managed to discover my Hue bulbs and WeMo switches, but after a few hours it couldn't find them anymore. I reset the Connected Home section so it forgot everything, and now it can't find anything.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

news: alexa has a profound difficulty pronouncing native american words

views: this thing rules

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ours finally showed up after ordering it in January. I like the music playing, since it's very easy and no fiddling required.

Is it really possible to use it as a normal Bluetooth speaker too?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

smackfu posted:

Ours finally showed up after ordering it in January. I like the music playing, since it's very easy and no fiddling required.

Is it really possible to use it as a normal Bluetooth speaker too?

Extremely easy. I use it to play audible books. Which is irritating as it won't play them natively from my amazon account, but the Bluetooth is easy.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I was going to cancel my order for this thing trying to cut back on useless spending but then it shipped earlier. I have to say its pretty drat fun device. I wasn't aware it had a way to do streaming radio so that is a bonus. I have been using it to listen to WFMU a bit since I got it. It will tell you the time if you ask it, which would be neat if you used it in the bedroom. You wouldn't even have to open your eyes in the morning to check if you should go back to sleep or not. I have been waiting for a device that did that a while (but I am using it on my desk in the living room instead)

It is easy to pair with bluetooth just say "Alexa pair bluetooth" and it enters pairing mode. Paired easily with my phone and my computer.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, that was extremely easy. Every product should have voice recognition.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

smackfu posted:

Wow, that was extremely easy. Every product should have voice recognition that works.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Some developer got this to work with Nest and Wink devices.

quote:

After Amazon gave select developers access to an SDK for its Echo wireless speaker last month, we now have a few examples of what you can do with it. Developer Jeffrey Bachand has built apps allowing Echo to control his smart lights, which are connected to Quirky's Wink hub, as well as his Nest smart thermostat. In the video below, you can see the apps in action. Unfortunately, there's still no way for developers to publish apps to the Echo platform, but you can be sure Amazon will fix that soon once there are more apps lined up. Bachand also notes that the NDA for SDK testers has just ended, which means you can expect to see more Echo apps soon. Amazon added support for Belkin WeMo and Philips Hue devices to the Echo earlier this month, but the addition of third-party developers should dramatically increase the amount of devices it works with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS6dNFpGbfs

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/23/amazon-echo-nest-wink/?ncid=rss_truncated

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Got mine a few days ago. I've been using it to keep up on the news and related things (weather, sports, etc.) Being able to request a wake-up alarm is nice as it's so quick & easy.

The only thing that's odd about it is that, for a voice-recognition device, it can only use two specific wake words. And why wasn't one of them "Echo" in the first place? I would think that if you were talking to your "Amazon Echo" you would be able to refer to it as "Echo" rather than "Alexa" or "Amazon." :iiam:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I just want it to have audible capability. For gods sake, it's just audio and it's an Amazon company. "Alexa, play audible, a long line of dead men."

Thunderhowl
Apr 24, 2015

Derp Lizard, Derp, Derp
The Amazon Echo is pretty neat to have around. Alexa knows some good jokes and has some neat responses. She's useful if you need to google something random such as.. liter to cup conversion, or if you want to show your friend this new song you found. My favorite thing to ask her is "How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?". Totally worth getting in my opinion.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Mine will finally be here Tuesday, but I'll be out of town for work. Excited to finally get to tinker with it though, after ordering in January.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Mine will finally be here Tuesday, but I'll be out of town for work. Excited to finally get to tinker with it though, after ordering in January.

poo poo, I ordered Jan 13 and my ship date is May 21.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

jabro posted:

poo poo, I ordered Jan 13 and my ship date is May 21.

I ordered jan 9th and my ship date is May 28! Amazon's handling of this has been poo poo.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

It took a few months to receive mine, but they were upfront about the time and I actually received it sooner than the original estimate. Remember, this isn't a "regular" product, they're probably making tweaks to it between batches. You shouldn't expect to receive it two days after you order it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Atomizer posted:

It took a few months to receive mine, but they were upfront about the time and I actually received it sooner than the original estimate. Remember, this isn't a "regular" product, they're probably making tweaks to it between batches. You shouldn't expect to receive it two days after you order it.

Where does anyone say that? If someone orders something before someone else they shouldn't be receiving it after them.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Well, to put it in perspective I ordered it on 1/9 and received it on 4/18, with the original estimate being 5/31 IIRC. It's odd that some people are getting theirs sooner than others, but I figure that even though that's bizarre, if you get it sooner than expected that's all that matters.

I don't know why you would receive yours after someone who ordered it later, unless maybe Amazon is prioritizing shipments based on customer loyalty or whatever (i.e. shipping sooner to customers that spend more money.) I know that doesn't sound fair, but keep in mind, a customer's orders don't have anything to do with any other customer's orders, so however Amazon is doing this is its own business.

To be perfectly honest though, have you tried asking them? Amazon CS, the couple of times I've actually had to speak to somebody, has been very polite and personal. You could ask why customers are apparently receiving their Echos out-of-order, and they might very well tell you exactly why.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Mine arrived shortly after I bought a firetv and started uploading music to Amazon.

Makes sense to me that Amazon music users would get priority.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Mine was originally supposed to ship 5/21 I think. It arrived today and I think it is really neat. I wish it could control the smart bulbs that are connected to my Wemo Link but for now it works fine.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The disparities between ship dates is pretty bizarre, too. I ordered mine 1/21, and it's set for 6/19 (up from 7/17). It's a pretty outrageous backlog that for a product that's already on the shelves.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

The disparities between ship dates is pretty bizarre, too. I ordered mine 1/21, and it's set for 6/19 (up from 7/17). It's a pretty outrageous backlog that for a product that's already on the shelves.

It's not already on the shelves. It's an invite only early access product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Now that the Echo supports Pandora you will pry it from my cold dead hands. I use the app, start up my favorite channel, and have multiple hours of happy soundtrack with no effort at all.

The only problem is that twice now it has heard "Alexa" even though nobody said that, and everybody in the room freaked out at the sound of her voice. Amazon hears all...