Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Croatoan posted:

So they're gonna have Samuel L. Jackson's voice available for Alexa by the end of the year. I don't really want to pay for that although it'd be funny. What I really want is for her to sound like Robby The Robot, drat it!

pls to give jarvis from iron man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

I want Wheatley from Portal 2.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Jar jar

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Are there other decent video doorbells that work with Alexa devices?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Rhyno posted:

Are there other decent video doorbells that work with Alexa devices?

The one made by amazon would be a good bet.

Ring Video Doorbell 2 with HD Video, Motion Activated Alerts, Easy Installation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072QLXK2T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YId4DbCHEWA6Q

Wyze is planning one in 2020, and alexa integration is part of their plan

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ring requires a sub to access the history otherwise it's real time only. Unless I missed something.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ring also shares your data with the police, no opt-out available.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is also lovely. Not that it would them any good as you can't really see the street from my front door.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
they also offered to use the ring to build a face recognition database for local police - this poo poo makes me want to get off the amazon platform completely

e:
Amazon’s Ring Planned Neighborhood “Watch Lists” Built on Facial Recognition

https://theintercept.com/2019/11/26/amazon-ring-home-security-facial-recognition/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Haha, so it sounds like I should just install a camera system and when the doorbell rings que up the video feed manually.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The article you linked explicitly says you can opt out of any request.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sorry, no opt-out unavailable was imprecise. " opt out or decline any request," Meaning that every time a request comes up, you individually decline it.

My error regarding opt-out notwithstanding, putting a device on my home that the police use to surveill everybody passing by, without their consent, is pretty gross.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Anyone know if you can get power usage data out of Amazon Smart Plugs?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Can anyone else buy the Samuel L. Jackson voice? Everytime I try "Buy now with 1-Click" , it says the page isn't found.

Apparently you can also do it by asking "Alexa, introduce me to Samuel L. Jackson" , but this doesn't work either. Granted, I'm in Canada, so that often explains most of these anomolies.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Can anyone else buy the Samuel L. Jackson voice? Everytime I try "Buy now with 1-Click" , it says the page isn't found.

Apparently you can also do it by asking "Alexa, introduce me to Samuel L. Jackson" , but this doesn't work either. Granted, I'm in Canada, so that often explains most of these anomolies.

Literally just did this because of your post, now he’s telling me the weather. So it works, but I imagine the Canada thing may have something to do with your issue.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'd be totally down for a Sam Jackson voice, but the implementation is really dumb. Instead of replacing the original Alexa voice, you have to preface everything with "Alexa, ask Sam" which would get extremely annoying after the first five minutes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Holy cow, that's inane.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yeah I read on Reddit that it's not available for Canada. Don't know why. Also I thought it'd be cool and a dollar is whatever but yeah it's dumb. Had it been a replacement for Alexa's voice a dollar would seem like a real value. This way it's pretty dumb. I set mine to explicit and it still won't curse. It's a really dumb novelty that does indeed get old after like 5 requests.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Sounds like we're not missing out on much. I don't know why in 2019 Amazon still disadvantages Canadians on prices and/or regional distribution. I guess it's our fault.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Croatoan posted:

It's a really dumb novelty that does indeed get old after like 5 requests.

Agreed; absolutely would have been pissed if I hadn’t used free credit on my account.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Heads up for any fellow Canadians who have been subscribed to Google Music or YouTube Premium since before Dec 4th, 2019 - have a free Google Nest Mini!

It's legit as I just used it to get our third one. Free shipping, too.

:canada:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Croatoan posted:

Anyone know if you can get power usage data out of Amazon Smart Plugs?

Almost certainly not, they’re just simple switches.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

MrYenko posted:

Almost certainly not, they’re just simple switches.

Yeah I never figured it out. What sucks is I have two cheap rear end Eufy plugs that are half the price that do it.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Not really sure if this is the place to ask but I cannot find any other smart home hub threads.

Basically I am looking into starting to automate my home, smart lights, music, etc. Most of my media ecosystem actually lives on google (google play music etc). Because of this I am leaning towards google home/nest. But I know Alexa seems to be dominating the market. Is Alexa just better at everything?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Skyarb posted:

Not really sure if this is the place to ask but I cannot find any other smart home hub threads.

Basically I am looking into starting to automate my home, smart lights, music, etc. Most of my media ecosystem actually lives on google (google play music etc). Because of this I am leaning towards google home/nest. But I know Alexa seems to be dominating the market. Is Alexa just better at everything?

I'm an Android/Google Music/Nest mini user, whereas my in-laws have Alexa. Granted, they don't have much else hooked up to it (if anything at all / EDIT: Just remembered they now have a Fire stick), but I know that I prefer the interactivity, just in terms of the timing of the responses and weird little things like that, of Google than I do with Alexa, and we had used their Alexa first, before deciding to try out a smart home hub. In other words, using Alexa, even in a limited capacity at the time, while we were visiting them, turned us on to having a smart home speaker, and made the plunge into a Google Home Mini (now Nest Mini), and love it even more.

Really, the only thing I have with Amazon is Prime, whereas as mentioned, I have an Android phone, a subscription to Google Music, and two Chromecasts. Google Nest works perfectly with all of that, which is not surprising in the least. I guess Alexa would work with a Fire stick, but I know that I greatly prefer Chromecast over the Fire stick. (EDIT: to expand on this, I really only used the Fire stick briefly, with the app on my phone, since we couldn't find the remote, but it was clunky and almost entirely unresponsive, and it's like a mini hard drive/OS that has its own app store. With Chromecast, not sure if you know, the device itself doesn't have apps on it, but apps on your devices have the ability to cast whatever (Youtube, Netflix, even Prime video now) to the chromecast with minimal loving around. I like that you don't need a separate app, you're just using extra functionality that's available on the apps you already use. That's a HUUUUUGE selling point for me.)

Honestly, I'm not sure how Google isn't just killing the market with this, if they aren't already; the Nest mini just integrates with everything Google-related. Maps, Music, contacts, calendars, etc. You might be better off with that, though I'm sure Amazon has made Alexa as compatible as possible with those services and apps.

As for ways to start automating, we have so far only really used removable wifi outlets, a wifi powerbar, and one wifi light. All in all, it's great. The devices are primarily controlled through the Geeni app, but that interfaces with Google Assistant, so everything can be controlled via voice, of course. The brand we use is, I believe 'Merkury', but I could be off about that. If that's not the name, it's something very similar; it's been a year since we bought any more, so I might be misremembering as I never look at them.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 8, 2020

ickna
May 19, 2004

Pick whichever ecosystem you are more invested in or has the least friction. Both do the smart home thing pretty well.

FWIW, though; Amazon wants to sell stuff to you, Google wants to sell your information. Google is also notorious for canceling projects and products on a whim.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm an Android/Google Music/Nest mini user, whereas my in-laws have Alexa. Granted, they don't have much else hooked up to it (if anything at all / EDIT: Just remembered they now have a Fire stick), but I know that I prefer the interactivity, just in terms of the timing of the responses and weird little things like that, of Google than I do with Alexa, and we had used their Alexa first, before deciding to try out a smart home hub. In other words, using Alexa, even in a limited capacity at the time, while we were visiting them, turned us on to having a smart home speaker, and made the plunge into a Google Home Mini (now Nest Mini), and love it even more.

Really, the only thing I have with Amazon is Prime, whereas as mentioned, I have an Android phone, a subscription to Google Music, and two Chromecasts. Google Nest works perfectly with all of that, which is not surprising in the least. I guess Alexa would work with a Fire stick, but I know that I greatly prefer Chromecast over the Fire stick. (EDIT: to expand on this, I really only used the Fire stick briefly, with the app on my phone, since we couldn't find the remote, but it was clunky and almost entirely unresponsive, and it's like a mini hard drive/OS that has its own app store. With Chromecast, not sure if you know, the device itself doesn't have apps on it, but apps on your devices have the ability to cast whatever (Youtube, Netflix, even Prime video now) to the chromecast with minimal loving around. I like that you don't need a separate app, you're just using extra functionality that's available on the apps you already use. That's a HUUUUUGE selling point for me.)

Honestly, I'm not sure how Google isn't just killing the market with this, if they aren't already; the Nest mini just integrates with everything Google-related. Maps, Music, contacts, calendars, etc. You might be better off with that, though I'm sure Amazon has made Alexa as compatible as possible with those services and apps.

As for ways to start automating, we have so far only really used removable wifi outlets, a wifi powerbar, and one wifi light. All in all, it's great. The devices are primarily controlled through the Geeni app, but that interfaces with Google Assistant, so everything can be controlled via voice, of course. The brand we use is, I believe 'Merkury', but I could be off about that. If that's not the name, it's something very similar; it's been a year since we bought any more, so I might be misremembering as I never look at them.

Just tried out a google nest and seems cool but gently caress trying to get it to play an actual song I wanted was a pain, it kept thinking I said something else and I cannot for the life of my figure out how to play an album on repeat. It just stops playing at the end of the album and turning repeat on only repeats one song not all.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Skyarb posted:

Alexa is unequivocally worse at everything except having more support for external services because they were first and they pretty much let anyone develop any old crap for it with little oversight.

Google has opened up significantly but they are still not great about supporting external services, like just a few months ago they completely broke their BMW service and BMW was like, eh, whatever, maybe we will get around to fixing it whenever we feel like it, maybe not.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Awesome thanks guys I think a google nest makes the most sense for me then.

I also wanted to finally buy a nice sound bar for my tv in my main room, the room where the nest primarily will be, I have heard of the Google Home Max, no idea if that is good as a TV speaker. If I got a normal sound bar for my tv could I make it so my nest automatically outputs sound through that sound bar instead of its tiny sad speaker?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Three Olives posted:

like just a few months ago they completely broke their BMW service and BMW was like, eh, whatever, maybe we will get around to fixing it whenever we feel like it, maybe not.
This is pretty much the state of most smarthome poo poo.

My Honeywell thermostat will sometimes drop out of its Wink link and the Alexa can't do anything with it other than tell me the temp readout. I have an older Dropcam that Alexa will just outright ignore even though the skill is linked and supposed to be working. No rush on either developer or Amazon to fix, just buy new poo poo.

Skyarb posted:

If I got a normal sound bar for my tv could I make it so my nest automatically outputs sound through that sound bar instead of its tiny sad speaker?
I linked an Echo to my soundbar via Bluetooth but then it became a shitshow of changing inputs to watch tv.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Skyarb posted:

I also wanted to finally buy a nice sound bar for my tv in my main room, the room where the nest primarily will be, I have heard of the Google Home Max, no idea if that is good as a TV speaker. If I got a normal sound bar for my tv could I make it so my nest automatically outputs sound through that sound bar instead of its tiny sad speaker?

Weird question, but do you have a video game console that'll be using that sound bar? The OP of the Switch thread, as well as a few posters, have been having problems with theirs, while the sound bar itself seems to be acting normally. I'll try and find a link to the post.

Edit: This is, I believe where it started, but either way, it's among the OP's latest posts (like from this week)

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 8, 2020

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Weird question, but do you have a video game console that'll be using that sound bar? The OP of the Switch thread, as well as a few posters, have been having problems with theirs, while the sound bar itself seems to be acting normally. I'll try and find a link to the post.

Edit: This is, I believe where it started, but either way, it's among the OP's latest posts (like from this week)

Not really. I have game consoles I never use and will likely never hook up.

What is the difference between a speaker that is chromecast, google assistant device compatible, or has built in google assistant.

This poo poo is confusing.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Skyarb posted:

So yeah, it's kind of a mess. So I guess in the most analogous room we have this set up in to what you are going for in our house is our den. We have a Google Home Hub sitting on our TV console, it's linked to our TV which is Google Cast enabled and our sound bar which is also Google Cast enabled. Then we have the Hub configured to use an default video output to the TV and a default audio output of the Soundbar.

So if it's trying to play video it will automatically configure the TV (i.e. turn it on, change the input) and play the video on the TV, if it's music it will do the same to the soundbar.

That's the most straightforward way of doing it As Google Intended, it might not be the best case for you.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
God I wish I could get Alexa to just play one of my god-damned playlists from Apple music. I'm not even being picky about asking her to shuffle it!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Skyarb posted:

Further to this, here's an article talking about stuff Google Home does better than the competition

Edit: ok, this is basically a fluff piece, sorry.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 20, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My girlfriend moved in, so I wanted to add her to the household for list sharing (todoist’s integration is terrible and has hosed up more than one shopping expedition). We did the add-to-household flow on my phone, but then she didn’t appear in the list, and she still saw her old shopping list. (She previously had her own Alexa setup at her house, which may be related.) Has anyone made this work?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Subjunctive posted:

My girlfriend moved in, so I wanted to add her to the household for list sharing (todoist’s integration is terrible and has hosed up more than one shopping expedition). We did the add-to-household flow on my phone, but then she didn’t appear in the list, and she still saw her old shopping list. (She previously had her own Alexa setup at her house, which may be related.) Has anyone made this work?

So it turns out that Household doesn't work in Canada, though the UI shows up and it lets you go through the process in the app and never gives an error.

Welp.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Can anyone confirm that the 2nd-gen Amazon Fire Cube will only recognize external storage (via OTG cable, sounds like) that's formatted as FAT32? I wanted to set up a streaming device with an external drive but FAT32's 2GB limitation on file size is a deal breaker for me. This is a birthday present for my daughter, is there a better mainstream option for a) standard streaming services b) easy-to-use external storage, and c) not a colossal bitch to set up or maintain? Fire Cube seems to check a) and c) but I worry that b) is an issue.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

rivetz posted:

Can anyone confirm that the 2nd-gen Amazon Fire Cube will only recognize external storage (via OTG cable, sounds like) that's formatted as FAT32? I wanted to set up a streaming device with an external drive but FAT32's 2GB limitation on file size is a deal breaker for me. This is a birthday present for my daughter, is there a better mainstream option for a) standard streaming services b) easy-to-use external storage, and c) not a colossal bitch to set up or maintain? Fire Cube seems to check a) and c) but I worry that b) is an issue.

FAT32 doesn't have a 32GB limit. That is an artificial limitation on the Windows format utility. FAT32 technically supports volumes up to 16TB in size. To get around the 32GB limit imposed in Windows you need to use a 3rd party formatting utility. Something like this: https://www.howtogeek.com/316977/how-to-format-usb-drives-larger-than-32gb-with-fat32-on-windows/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Last Friday, my routine that uses SiriusXM was not working in the morning. I disabled the skill and logged back in. The routine still would not work but I could verbally command it to work and it did (on a multi room music group)

This morning, it again said that I needed to link my account. This time, when I try, it says Linking Unsuccessful. I have checked my log in stuff, even changed the password in the process. My phone apps and computer browser work just fine but the echo still says that it cannot link the account.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?