Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Is "halloween" censored or something? I've been trying to add stuff to my shopping list through voice and the app and

"halloween candy" -> "candy"
"candy for halloween" -> "candy for"
"candy for trick or treat" -> "candy for trick or treat"

I feel like I'm going crazy.

"Alexa add Halloween Candy to shopping list" => "Halloween candy added to shopping list."
"Alexa what's on my shopping list" => "Blah items on shopping list. Halloween Candy..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wonder if it's some en-CA bullshit. AAaaaahhhh

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm thinking about adding a Dot (or buying a Show) for the kitchen, but it looks like there's no way to set a "global" timer. Is that right? I'd love to be able to set a timer for an hour in the kitchen and then be notified in the office when it's going off.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Lester Shy posted:

I'm thinking about adding a Dot (or buying a Show) for the kitchen, but it looks like there's no way to set a "global" timer. Is that right? I'd love to be able to set a timer for an hour in the kitchen and then be notified in the office when it's going off.

The other day when I asked Alexa to start a timer in the kitchen she asked if I wanted to be notified on all my devices, so presumably that is also presented as a setting in the app.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
i have four Echo devices in my apartment. A first-gen full size Echo in the living room, two 2nd generation Echo Dots in the kitchen and bedroom, and a 3rd generation echo dot in the bathroom.

Since about a month or a month and half ago, the two 2nd gen Echo dots have been nearly useless. They never respond anymore. Even if i'm standing right next to them, there's a better-than-50% chance that the Echo in the living room or the bathroom will respond. And other times they do respond, just like 15-seconds after the incorrect Echo responded. For example, I can be in the kitchen and ask Alexa to set a 15 minute timer. I'll hear from the bathroom "Timer set for 15 minutes" and then while I'm in the bathroom telling her to cancel the timer, I'll hear from the kitchen "Timer set for 15 minutes"

Anyone else notice the performance of their 2nd generation Echo dots crater in the past couple months?

EDIT: Huh - I didn't even know that there's an even cheaper level of Echo below the Dot - The Echo Flex. Both of my malfunctioning Dots are connected to external speakers, so I guess if they are just broke, :10bux: each to replace them aint bad.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 25, 2020

Ebenezer
Mar 21, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Anyone else notice the performance of their 2nd generation Echo dots crater in the past couple months?

I’ve been having similar problems. Things went from great to poor rather quickly. It’s infuriating to try and issue commands now.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

OldSenileGuy posted:

EDIT: Huh - I didn't even know that there's an even cheaper level of Echo below the Dot - The Echo Flex. Both of my malfunctioning Dots are connected to external speakers, so I guess if they are just broke, :10bux: each to replace them aint bad.

Don't do it! They're deaf pieces of poo poo! I got one and hate it.

Also I just got a stereo set of 4th den dots and a echo sub for my office for Christmas. Pretty cool TBH. That sub is way better than I expected.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the home automation thread or the Amazon Echo thread, so I'm putting it in both.
I got a new modem today, got it activated by my ISP, and now none of my smart bulbs are responding via Alexa. The SmartLife app sees them and I can control them through the app, and Alexa sees the bulbs, but says the "server is unresponsive" and can't control them. I tried restarting the router, removing every bulb from the Alexa app, disabling the SmartLife skill, re-enabling it and re-linking my account, and having Alexa re-discover all of the devices (which it did), and it says they're "ready to be controlled" but they're still unresponsive.

All the other "smart" stuff in my house works just fine (Amazon smart plug, smart microwave, Google Nest thermostat).

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 3, 2021

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yeah so I bought a 2nd gen Echo Frames. They're pretty neat but I gotta wait until my lenses come to me so I can pop them in. I ordered them online, Costco said they can't do it and Lenscrafters wanted to charge me like $400.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did Amazon make it extremely hard to set a smart plug up to turn on and off on a schedule or something?

We moved a few months ago and I'm finally getting around to setting up a plug in our living room and i keep hitting a brick wall trying to make this loving lamp turn on at night.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Did Amazon make it extremely hard to set a smart plug up to turn on and off on a schedule or something?

We moved a few months ago and I'm finally getting around to setting up a plug in our living room and i keep hitting a brick wall trying to make this loving lamp turn on at night.

In the Alexa app new routine...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus. On a lark I swapped the plug out and it works fine. The plug worked fine on all verbal commands spoken to the nearby dot but it would not accept the routine.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Rhyno posted:

Jesus. On a lark I swapped the plug out and it works fine. The plug worked fine on all verbal commands spoken to the nearby dot but it would not accept the routine.

I had a thing where it just straight up stopped recognizing a switch's name "fan". I uninstalled it and everything. The only loving fix I could do was calling it "the little fan" and the thing works again. If I switch it back, it just won't do it. damndest thing. Not worth sitting on the phone with Amazon trying to fix it but still, annoying as gently caress.

Croatoan posted:

Yeah so I bought a 2nd gen Echo Frames. They're pretty neat but I gotta wait until my lenses come to me so I can pop them in. I ordered them online, Costco said they can't do it and Lenscrafters wanted to charge me like $400.

Ok these are great but there could be huge improvements.

1. You can't buy them with your FSA if you have one. This is apparently a YMMV thing but mine wouldn't. The catch is, you have to get them with a RX lenses at the same time to qualify so I just bought them and then got my lenses separately on my FSA.
2. Buying lenses can be a bitch. I went to Costco because that's cheap but they refused. Amazon tells you to go to any Lenscrafters and so I did. They gave me a ton of poo poo and said if they even could the lenses would be around $400 (I guess it's expensive because I have transitions because I'm cool) so I said gently caress it and bought them online. You can get them as cheap as $50 if they're just plain simple lenses but again, I wanted upgrades so it was another $160.
3. As for use, they're pretty great EXCEPT I have 2 dots and a echo sub for my office. I have to turn the frames off to play Spotify verbally in my office because it's on my face and defaults to just playing on my frames.
4. Getting in the car and using my echo auto is fine, it seems to default to that rather than my frames. According to the reviews it used to be a pain in the rear end so YMMV.
5. Big pain is charging them. They have a case however they have to sit out of the case with the charging cable (it's magnetic) stuck to it to charge. It would have been pretty easy to engineer a case that fits them when folded and clicks the charging port but whatever. I think these are from the "throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks" part of Amazon's Echo line. Kind of like their silly Alexa enabled microwave that flopped. I think these will probably last a bit longer though.
6. Ultimately they're great for just walking around. For example I was able to grocery shop without headphones and because they don't plug up your ear you can hear people around you so you can avoid them in this pandemic.
7. They have zero bass so if you're an audiophile you'll hate these.

Overall, pretty cool if you have an extra $250 to burn on a nifty toy. It'd probably be smarter to wait until a 3rd gen.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 8, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Croatoan posted:

I had a thing where it just straight up stopped recognizing a switch's name "fan". I uninstalled it and everything. The only loving fix I could do was calling it "the little fan" and the thing works again. If I switch it back, it just won't do it. damndest thing. Not worth sitting on the phone with Amazon trying to fix it but still, annoying as gently caress.

My echo dots don’t recognize the word “fan” either, I had to call it “ceiling fan”.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Croatoan posted:

3. As for use, they're pretty great EXCEPT I have 2 dots and a echo sub for my office. I have to turn the frames off to play Spotify verbally in my office because it's on my face and defaults to just playing on my frames.
Can you not say “play Spotify in office” or whatever you’ve called the room/device, to get it play out of another echo?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Croatoan posted:

this worked. I renamed the first plug and it's accepting the routine.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Slash posted:

Can you not say “play Spotify in office” or whatever you’ve called the room/device, to get it play out of another echo?

Yeah that worked don't know why I didn't think of that. Operator error on that one I guess.

One other thing about the Echo Frames, since it goes through your cell phone rather than having what onboard chips the regular Echos have there is a small delay. I find it best to say "Alexa" then wait 2 seconds and then say what I want her to do.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
The Alexa app on Android has had a rather frustrating update. It now sorts alarms based on hour, rather than date/hour.

So it lists all the alarms for 2pm next week before it will list alarms for 3pm this week.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Anybody had one device suddenly get very stupid? All of my Echos respond correctly to "Alexa turn on X" except for the Echo Show in the kitchen. "Alexa turn on the lamp" is met with "Sorry, I don't know that one." I check the voice history in the app and it's hearing me correctly, so I don't know what's going on.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’ve had a couple devices do that, with one specific phrase “turn off ceiling fan light”. But if I tell Alexa to turn on the lights (despite being on) she’ll acknowledge it, and then telling her to turn them off will work.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

will adding an echo dot in my living room, which currently only has a Fire TV cube, improve the voice recognition of the Fire TV Cube?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

If i can't get my echos to stop saying 'by the way', i'm going to rip the entire system out. I give you commands and you shut the hell up, that is how this works.

I've already turned off 'Things to Try'.

Any solution?

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Try turning on Brief Mode.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Nope, even brief mode doesn't stop the incessant "by the way" horseshit. It's extra frustrating because I got all this poo poo to help my elderly and nearly-deaf parents turn on a light or check the weather, but every third request just ends up confusing them.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I feel the same way. I'm tempted to just switch over to Siri/HomePod full stop, except:

- In my experience, Siri is by far the worst option between Alexa, Siri, and Google Home
- As far as I know, HomePod still doesn't support Spotify

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I know it probably won't change anything but every time after she does her BTW spiel , I tell her to send feedback and complain about it. Maybe if enough people do that they will change course (not likely).

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");

Deviant posted:

If i can't get my echos to stop saying 'by the way'

It's been a long time since I've studied UI/human factors, but this is such a counter-productive thing for them to do in HF terms. I ask the thing for specific information and by the time I've used the mental resources to process the extra info, I've forgotten the answer I actually wanted.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

somethingawful bf posted:

I know it probably won't change anything but every time after she does her BTW spiel , I tell her to send feedback and complain about it. Maybe if enough people do that they will change course (not likely).

I just interrupt her in the middle of her BTW spiel with "ALEXA SHUT THE gently caress UP" and hope that Amazon is savvy enough to flag whenever Alexa gets a response like that and look into what elicited the response.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nine16thsdago posted:

It's been a long time since I've studied UI/human factors, but this is such a counter-productive thing for them to do in HF terms. I ask the thing for specific information and by the time I've used the mental resources to process the extra info, I've forgotten the answer I actually wanted.

A friend of mine runs a chunk of the human factors work for Alexa and I give her a hard time about this periodically. Definitely the ecosystem growth team elbowing their way into the experience.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Can the clock on a 4th Gen Echo Dot dimmed to a low level? I'm wondering if it would make a good replacement for my Echo Show 5, which is in the process of dying.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Subjunctive posted:

A friend of mine runs a chunk of the human factors work for Alexa and I give her a hard time about this periodically. Definitely the ecosystem growth team elbowing their way into the experience.

Please keep doing the lords work, it's bad enough to motivate me to look elsewhere.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

yeah I literally decommed 3 echos over this poo poo

No by the way, do what I asked and shut the gently caress up

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");

Deviant posted:

yeah I literally decommed 3 echos over this poo poo

No by the way, do what I asked and shut the gently caress up

have you found a more palatable system, or are you moving away from voice assistants altogether?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Subjunctive posted:

Tell her to add routine widgets to ios/android.

Navigating through the app or any echo/fire device to push one button is a clusterfuck.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Wrong thread

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone get the Show 15? It looked interesting but reviews basically seem to boil down to “interesting idea but execution is meh and needs more widgets”, which is kinda what I was expecting from the launch version.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone get the Show 15? It looked interesting but reviews basically seem to boil down to “interesting idea but execution is meh and needs more widgets”, which is kinda what I was expecting from the launch version.

Everything I have seen is build a Magic Mirror or Dakboard unless you are super attached to limited touch control and apparent not great working user recognition at the expense of basically unlimited widgets.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

If i can't get my echos to stop saying 'by the way', i'm going to rip the entire system out. I give you commands and you shut the hell up, that is how this works.

I've already turned off 'Things to Try'.

Any solution?

Came to this thread looking for an answer to this. WTF No, I don't want to be woken up by Shaq, I was to set a timer for my oven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs
my echo plus behaves for like four hours and then the audio starts cutting out temperamentally, always accompanied by an audible click.

I'm throwing myself at ur mercy gadget crew. this is driving me cray

:baduk:

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot