Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mine's due tomorrow. USELESS TECHNOLOGY FTW!

I actually have a use for it: I sew in the living room and am currently streaming sound to an Oontz Curve from my laptop. Being able to stream my enormous library directly from the Echo will be good. Amazon's retroactively adding free MP3s of everything I'd ever bought means I have an enormous sound library. I can hardly wait to start saying "Open the pod bay doors, Dave HAL." and "I have learned to love Big Brother."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Echo arrived. The Amazon lovingly-crafted unboxing experience is very, very silly. The matte black box has three tiny arrowed pull strips. Everything inside the box is lovingly banded in clear plastic, including items like the power brick?!?!?!. The Then you get this big black cylinder.

So, yeah, it's a mono speaker, the sound is FM-radio adequate but not spectacular. I'd call it as good as a kitchen radio or a typical manufacturer-installed car radio. That's good enough for me, for what I'm using it for (mood music away from the main sound system.) It's been doing a fine job on recognizing my and my daughter's voices, even when music is playing. However:

The word recognizer is *terrible* for classical music. "Alexa, Play Beethoven" told me that I didn't have any Beethoven in my Amazon music library. Ha. It did recognize Beethoven, but something glitched in its searching my library "Alexa, Play i by Magnetic Fields" was also a dead loss. In general, it responds by shuffling music far too often. If it doesn't know that you own an album (for instance, because Amazon's autorip service was blocked), and the album isn't on Prime Music, it plays samples from that album, which is outright annoying. I'd rather that when it doesn't match, it just said "No match". We created an iHeartRadio account for it (it doesn't support Pandora right now) and that works acceptably. In particular, "Alexa, skip" works beautifully. I notice that after 4 or 5 songs it stops playing; I'm not sure if that's an iHeartRadio feature or an Echo bug or what.

The suggested queries like "Alexa, what time is it" and "Alexa, what's the weather forecast" worked correctly. I can't see me using "Alexa, Wikipedia" very often; I'd much rather read it myself.

The Echo is exactly what I need for situations where I have my hands full and want to listen to music: cooking, sewing, knitting, things like that. I'm keeping mine, and I look forward to see if it's enough of a success that Amazon adds interesting-to-me features.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Call Me Charlie posted:

It could be because your Beethoven was under another artist name. A lot of his stuff from the Amazon store is under his full name or the conductor/orchestra that performed it. You can change that on the web player through your browser but it also changes the cloud files.
No, it correctly expanded it to "Beethoven, Ludwig van"... which actually might be the problem, depending on whether the album indexed it correctly as "van Beethoven, Ludwig". In any case, automatic indexing of classical records sucks in general, judging by my Olive Symphony.

quote:

The sample thing is in there because it either has or will have the ability to buy music directly from the store. I'm not sure because I have no desire to test that out. Last thing I want is for it to spaz out and charge me for something I don't want.

Excellent point, and I agree with you. Alexa just correctly answered "How many teaspoons are in a tablespoon?", which was fun. I also successfully paired the Echo with my Chromebook, so it's now streaming Pandora. No voice controls, obviously.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

Like if it's paired to my phone can I do like a normal bluetooth speaker and play from my device to it?

Yup.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

Fantastic, no spending an extra $25 for Amazon Music on top of the $25 I already pay for iTunes match.
I tested it out with Pandora.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The hilarious thing is talking about Alexa in the room with her.
Me to daughter: "Alexa is really stupid about playlists."
Alexa: blinks and points an arrow toward me.
Daughter: "Sorry, Alexa"
Alexa: blinks and points an arrow toward my daughter.

I mean, we both feel guilty about being rude to a crudely-implemented imaginary personification of speech recognition.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm pretty stoked about adding Pandora, I have to say. My main complaint about the Echo is that playing classical music is pretty much impossible. "Play Carlo Gesualdo" is completely outside the voice parser's expertise.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Now that the Echo supports Pandora you will pry it from my cold dead hands. I use the app, start up my favorite channel, and have multiple hours of happy soundtrack with no effort at all.

The only problem is that twice now it has heard "Alexa" even though nobody said that, and everybody in the room freaked out at the sound of her voice. Amazon hears all...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

topenga posted:

When the Echo thinks it heard her name, we just silently stare at it, trying to teach her it's not all about her, hoping to shame her.
I'm trying to keep her happy with us so that we'll be the last up against the wall come the Great Robot Revolution.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

It's fine for me, both in my music library and on Prime Music.

It occurs to me that Amazon hates me as a customer, because I'm not buying music through Alexa.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This morning I got up to mail saying that Echo now supports the scripting service IfThisThenThat, Ifttt.com. After about ten minutes work, most of that used to figure out the site's annoying visual interface, I'd written a script such that any item I add to Echo's shopping list automatically propagates to my RememberTheMilk shopping list. That's really cool, and makes the built-in shopping list useful to me for the first time. (Four people in my family use RTM as a shared grocery list, so I had no interest in switching to the Amazon list.) I'm really looking forward to exploring what other triggers the Echo IfTTT offers.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

New Leaf posted:

We are new Prime subscribers and this thing looked pretty neat.

There is a *lot* of popular music on Prime; I've been having a happy time with just "Play the Lumineers" or "Play Regina Spektor". With Pandora integration, I can have the 'radio' on for hours. It's also great for streaming your laptop or MP3 player or phone or whatever.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Call Me Charlie posted:

You can pay $25 a year to upload all of your music into Amazon's cloud. It's worth it if you have a large collection and want it where you can access it with voice commands (otherwise, you can just pair a different device to it via Bluetooth and stream them from there - like Arsenic said)
All the music you've ever bought from Amazon is already in your personal cloud. Since I usually buy CDs from Amazon, and have since Amazon began to exist, that has worked out very well for me. The major gap is that Alexa is *terrible* at understanding classical music titles and composers. Forget saying "Play Gesualdo".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Oh, and it has party tricks like "Alexa, will I need an umbrella tomorrow?"

New Leaf posted:

So it isn't pulling 80's music from things you've uploaded, it's just playing random songs from Amazon's library?
It's a cascade. If I say "Play Leonard Cohen" it's going to first see if I have any LC in my own Amazon cloud; if so, it'll shuffle that. If I don't, it'll shuffle from the Prime Music cloud. You can also specifically request Amazon's Leonard Cohen playlist [assuming there is one; I haven't checked], or your personal Pandora Leonard Cohen channel.

e: I tend to look for artists rather than genres.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That's the thing. I bought it as an "oh, why not" and as an early adopter didn't get Pandora or ITTT or any of the new cool stuff, but even then, the instant I started using it for easy music I was hooked. You can have my Echo when you invade my house with machine guns.

I do wonder if Amazon is happy with the experiment, and when they'll broaden it. I'd like a second Echo for the bedroom because I am lazy.

e: I was just dancing around the kitchen to "I can see clearly now" and paused to have Alexa add bread flour and baker's sugar to the shopping list. Soon there will be coconut-lime bread rising. Life is good.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 7, 2015

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

New Leaf posted:

Is there a noticeable delay between asking a question or asking for music and getting a response, or is it just as quick as it seems in the commercials?

Define "noticeable"? The slowest thing is waiting for Alexa to say "Playing the Lumineers from Amazon Prime" -- the music is instantaneous after that.

e: waiting for the voice to finish, not waiting for it to start.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

How is this my life: Repeatedly shouting at Echo, "Alexa, play 'Your poo poo's hosed Up' by Warren Zevon" and getting back "I can't find 'Your bleep's bleeped up.'" Eventually sorted out that I was saying "Your" instead of "My".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

There is no native iTunes support in Echo. Apple wants you to buy their devices, and they aren't interested in adding value to Amazon's device. If you don't have your music on something that can stream to the Echo, it's not the device for you.

Bluetooth just means that you can use Echo as a Bluetooth speaker. It doesn't mean you can control iTunes with voice commands.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

While you're not wrong about Apple, don't act like Amazon isn't just as guilty. You don't see strong integration with Google Music or Spotify, either, and I really wouldn't expect us to, since they're direct competitors to Amazon Prime Music in a way Pandora isn't.

TOTALLY in agreement. I'm extremely annoyed that I can't stream some of the stuff I bought from Amazon (on CD) because the streaming rights are locked up at Google Music or Apple or Spotify or whatever. Basically, all the big vendors are trying to lock us in. I have seen this dance before, and I've never liked it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Super Dude posted:

Building those hooks into their software isn't a 5 minute project. The extremely small user-base of the Echo probably doesn't justify the cost of the development. Maybe when the Echo is more common in households you will see better integration with those services (I wouldn't hold my breath for iTunes though).
It absolutely takes time, money, and effort to expose an interface (not least, securitizing the interface so it can't be used to break in. That said, I think that (at least) Google, Amazon, and Apple want to be walled gardens, to varying degrees on varying projects.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ETB posted:

Goons, getting a $50 off offer for this device. Should I get it, and why?

Because you want a portable music systemette that responds to voice commands. Once you have committed to that, bonus features include controlling household automation, updating your shopping list, creating timers, and getting weather reports by voice, and continuing rapid expansion. In the year (ish) I've owned mine, it's been a Godsend for "Okay, just play everything I've bought from Amazon by Warren Zevon". It has Pandora support.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Magnus Praeda posted:

I really hope they come out with satellite mini-Echos that I can put in other rooms. I want to be able to tell Alexa to play something in the living room and something else in the office or whatever.
Me, too. The remote contains a microphone, so there's no reason you couldn't take the remote into the bedroom, say "Alexa, play Bolero in the bedroom", and have the master device tell the satellite speaker do its thing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

It depends on the song and the licensing. When I tried to play a couple of the Mountain Goats' biggest hits, they weren't available, although less-popular songs were. Over Christmas, Bing Crosby's White Christmas wasn't there, and to add insult to injury the search function found a horrible karaoke version and played that. Many fewer classical performances aren't licensed. Note that actually owning a song and thus having it in your Amazon Prime library doesn't mean it's available for streaming: that's a separate license.

I'd say at least 80% of the time I got the song I wanted; my tastes run to indie. And God, the classical search is horrible, even for things I own.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Buying a new music service would require them to port all of its infrastructure to Amazon and throw away all the effort they've put into Amazon Prime. It's been done before (Google and Youtube), but requires you to admit your existing solution is a failure. Also, it's not clear whether Spotify's licenses will be transferable to any buyer.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Alexa is, however, on Fire TV sticks, which run $40 at the moment, $50 with voice remote.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

Is the speaker quality of Echo any good for music?

It's mono. Makes me happy for pop songs, but would make an audiophile cry.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

That still seems like something that should be on the regular Echo with a software update, at most.
Probably gonna get a Dot.

Thanks for the heads-up, guys. I bought a Dot because I've been dying for Alexa for the bedroom. I'm actually going to move Alexa to the bedroom and connect the Dot to the sitting-room speakers, giving higher sound quality there.

e: Of course I'm on a first-name basis with Alexa. We're friends.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

If I'm loading the dishwasher while my older son is complaining about his iPad's battery being dead and my one year old is screaming for more food while my dog is getting into something she shouldn't....

At least in my kitchen, Alexa won't be able to hear you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mine's March 31. :smugdog:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses personal pronouns to talk about her. Also, I don't call the device the Echo; I tend to call it the Alexa, which of course wakes her up.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The only record will be with the station itself; some stations show their back playlists on the site. Next time it happens, if you pull up Google search on your Android phone -- don't know what the mechanism is on iPhone -- and press the microphone, Google will listen to the song and tell you what it is and, of course, how to buy it on Google.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The Tap costs $129 to the Echo's $179. I would expect that one of the design goals for the Tap would have been "Don't undercut the Echo" -- otherwise they're destroying the market for their highest-end product. Compare how the Dot is available only to Echo owners.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

bull3964 posted:

You don't need to own an echo to order a dot. You can voice order it from the Amazon app.
Oh, okay. When they first released it, you had to have an Echo.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I was way wrong on the Dot; my apologies.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Hook it up to other things using ITTT? Play stuff in your Amazon music library? Those are the things I use it most for. Halfway through making a PB&J I discover we're about to be out. "Alexa, add peanut butter to the shopping list", then I go back to the PB&J. As it happens, my shopping list is in Remember the Milk, but I used ITTT to hook up Amazon's shopping list to RtM.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That's the thing. I don't have pockets in most of my clothes, so my phone lives in my purse or on the nearest flat surface. When I'm in the kitchen up to my elbows in bread dough, Echo is right there, ready to reorder flour, play some music, or set a timer for 30 minutes, all of which I can do in rapid succession while kneading. That's why I use it; it's entirely reasonable to decide that it doesn't work for you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I just discovered I can say "Alexa, play Radio Suisse Classique" and it knows what I'm talking about (courtesy of TuneIn). It also can do All Things Considered and Morning Edition. (Shut up, she explained.) This is handy, because I live in a hilly area that gets terrible FM reception. Dot set up in sitting room, Alexa now in bedroom. Livin' the dream.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Use the Alexa app on your phone. I have forgotten the details, but I've controlled Pandora through that app before.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Huh. I just said "Alexa, play Counting Stars Radio on Pandora", and it worked fine. Furthermore, in the app it opened a card on Home called "Pandora Station" that had a menu item "Browse statements from Pandora". That menu item let me choose any of my other statements.

Alexa and I have had our first disagreement. I moved my Echo to the bedroom when I got a Dot. Then we had a power failure and Alexa rebooted and said "Hello" at 3AM. I dropped a note to support, and they said they'd add a feature request to have a "Do not disturb" period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Having Alexa in the bedroom just came in really handy. I woke up with a migraine and had a contractor coming to the house later. I took medication, said "Alexa, set an alarm for 9:30," and went back to sleep. I didn't really have the concentration to pull out my phone and program in a new alarm; being able to just say a sentence and go back to sleep was great.