Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I'll definitely be picking this up for $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

jabro posted:

I signed up for it since I hate money but my phone can do everything that can do. This will fail harder than their phone. Are we watching Amazons demise because of dumb expensive tech production choices?

Amazon makes its money selling everything under the sun to people, not from the handful of hardware devices they throw out there. The money lost from these devices doesn't mean much to them.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Aphrodite posted:

The voice recognition and just about everything else it does would be server side, it won't cost them much at all. It's a Bluetooth speaker with wifi.

R&D costs money. Their other devices aren't this simple either.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

mikemil828 posted:

I'm not (really) an audiophile but I find the sound compares quite favorably to speakers of similar price, if given a choice between a Logitech UE Boom and this, Unless I had a serious need to take a speaker with me wherever I go, I'd go with this.

Did you get an invite to buy one? I haven't heard anything from Amazon yet. :(

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Anyone looking to sell theirs? I'm still waiting for an invite.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Mortified_Cow posted:

I've had mine for a week now. I have to say I prefer my current bluetooth speaker a little bit more when it comes to music or podcasts played from my phone but the echo doesn't sound bad IMO. I do enjoy the news feature and the ease of just asking for some music. Its nice to get a quick news briefing while I get ready in the morning and to not bother with my phone when I just want some quick music. Not sure if ill replace my current speaker or if I drop this off on my parents (My Dad got a kick out of the voice controls). Just wish I didn't have to say "Alexa" or "Amazon".

What are your current speakers? I need some new ones and I'm getting impatient with Amazon.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

TheJoker138 posted:

If it's anything like Siri, it will constantly pick up things that don't even sound remotely similar to "Alexa" as you saying "Alexa."

Siri is really, really bad at almost everything it does.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Literally minutes after I set up some new bluetooth speakers, I get my invite for Echo. I'm debating whether to return the speakers and get the Echo for 2x the price. Just a heads up to everyone, the invitation email says "Due to strong customer response, new orders may take several months to ship."

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

TheJoker138 posted:

Figured. Not a dealbreaker, but would have been cool. But seeing as I'll just be playing off an iPhone I can probably coerce Siri into actually playing what I'm saying at least half of the time, so not a huge problem.

I have way over the 250 song limit you can have uploaded to Amazon without paying for Prime Music.

You can get prime for cheap ($15 I think?) if you split it with people.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's probably worth clarifying.

Prime Music = free music service tied to Amazon Prime. big draw (besides the free music) is the curated playlists.
Amazon Music = not only their MP3 store and purchases from there/autorip but also a $25 a year service where you can upload your own music into the cloud

Why would someone pay $25 for the Amazon Music service instead of $15 for Prime (which includes Music, Instant Video, Kindle Library, and shipping)?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Call Me Charlie posted:

:thejoke:?

Prime doesn't include the $25 a year subscription to upload your own music into the cloud.

Oops, I thought the limit restriction was lifted with Prime as well. Doesn't really matter since I use Google Play Music.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There is a *lot* of popular music on Prime; I've been having a happy time with just "Play the Lumineers" or "Play Regina Spektor". With Pandora integration, I can have the 'radio' on for hours. It's also great for streaming your laptop or MP3 player or phone or whatever.

If the phone app for Prime music didn't suck so much I would cancel my Google Music subscription. :(

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Legdiian posted:

I am ready to strangle my brand new black plastic friend. My girlfriend's name is Kaylee and I thought it would be cool to make her a Pandora station that I could activate magically with my voice. After 15 minutes of frustration I see that it's hearing "Kaylea" no matter how I say "KAY-LEEEE" and it's making me look like an rear end in a top hat.

Does this thing learn? Can I teach it words or do I need a new girlfriend?

Just make your girlfriend change her name. Problem solved.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Arsenic Lupin posted:

TOTALLY in agreement. I'm extremely annoyed that I can't stream some of the stuff I bought from Amazon (on CD) because the streaming rights are locked up at Google Music or Apple or Spotify or whatever. Basically, all the big vendors are trying to lock us in. I have seen this dance before, and I've never liked it.

Building those hooks into their software isn't a 5 minute project. The extremely small user-base of the Echo probably doesn't justify the cost of the development. Maybe when the Echo is more common in households you will see better integration with those services (I wouldn't hold my breath for iTunes though).

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Rolo posted:

I stumbled into this while shopping for a Bluetooth speaker for a one bedroom apartment I'm moving into next month.

If what I'm mostly shopping for is a speaker, is the quality of this thing worth it? I'm debating between this and a Bose something or other for ~200 bucks.

If literally the only thing you are looking for is a bluetooth speaker, I suggest you look at something other than the Echo. While the Echo is good, it isn't worth its price as a speaker.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Maneki Neko posted:

Echo people, what are you doing for podcasts? Just streaming them from a phone? I can't find much useful information about what podcast support the Echo has outside of tunein or iheartradio, which both look terrible.

Podcasts and Google Music I stream from my phone or tablet, but I do most of my music on Pandora directly through the echo.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Dr. Habibi posted:

Well I'll be goddamned, you're right.

About the lights, at least.

Girls find you demanding things of your electronic slave with a female voice hot. It shows what you expect of them in the future!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Call Me Charlie posted:

Prime Music will continue to exist alongside this new program.

What would be different about it?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

BigFactory posted:

Still too big then

In my small New York studio, it can hear me from any room. :)

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Call Me Charlie posted:

Plus you can listen to any recording it makes online and delete them from Amazon's servers.

Awesome, I never knew that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Endless Mike posted:

My concern would be how they charge for music. I don't subscribe to Google Music and have no intentions of doing so, being primarily an Apple user, however, I have a Prime account, anyway, so taking advantage of their service isn't a big deal. There's some rumors swirling of Apple making a Siri-enabled device, though (along with finally opening up the Siri API), and I would probably get rid of my Echos for one of those.

For someone else, it would still matter how the music part works.

See, I have the exact opposite problem. I own almost no music, and subscribe to Google Music as well as Prime Music. Amazon's streaming selection is pretty poo poo compared to Google's.

I love my Echo, but after talking to Google's engineers last week at I/O about Home, I'm much more excited about it. One really neat feature is Home's ability to connect to my Chromecast and Chromecast Audio to automatically start up movies, tv shows, and music. Also, Google's natural language processing is quite a bit better than Alexa.