Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also, unless they've changed it in the last year, the "sharees" of Prime only get the benefit of Prime Shipping. Only the person paying Amazon for it gets the video, kindle stuff, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Anyone have any luck getting Alexa to switch scenes with Philips Hue bulbs and a bridge? I'm kind of out of ideas.

I got Alexa to recognize the scenes as devices, and I can use her to control individual lights and turn them all on and off, but any attempt to trigger a scene results in the "that command cannot be used with device ..." I've tried lots of combos of room settings in Hue and groups in the Alexa app, but no dice. If anyone can offer some details on how to get it to work, I'd really appreciate it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
2nd gen hub. 2nd (I guess) gen iOS app. Am linked with my hue account. Scenes show up in the Alexa Smart Home section as devices. Am using "Alexa, turn on relax in living room" (also tried "the living room"). Hue skill is enabled. Scenes work fine through the Hue app.

Frustrating thing is, after about an hour of fiddling with it yesterday, it worked. But today I decided the 2nd gen color bulbs I had wouldn't cut it (they have terrible greens and poor blues IMO) so I exchanged it for a kit with 3rd gen bulbs, and now all I get is "that command won't work".

Housefly, since it seems to work for you, do you have "living room" as the name of a room (of type living room) set in the Hue app (sounds like it), and do you have any groups set in the Alexa app?

And since I'm grasping at straws, would it matter if my Hue bridge is only a foot or two from my router?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks for the info, guys. Still not working, but I have it kind of fudged with YonomI for now.

From everything I've found, it looks like I have everything set up correctly, and am "working" it correctly, but no dice. Seems like it's a glitch somehow connected to the Hue"skill" (since all the other non-scene commands work without the skill enabled).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also in smarthome deals, one of the Alexa deals today is a "works with Alexa" TP Link smart plug for $17.50 instead of $30.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Pissflaps posted:

Does the amazon music subscription that is a cheap one for a single echo include increased upload space for your own music?
No, none of the Amazon Music subscriptions include that.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Heck, I don't think even the Unlimited Storage plan includes music.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Subjunctive posted:

If you get a "works with Alexa" plug and have some lights through a hub, say, can you build a scene that controls all of them at once?
I assume so, through Alexa groups. You can put multiple devices into groups, so you should be able to, say, make a group called Goon that includes your lights and the plug, then tell Alexa "turn on Goon" and it'll turn them all on.

If you read the last page I'm not having luck with hue scenes and Alexa, but I assume if scenes work for you, you can put a scene into the group (since Alexa sees scenes as devices).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So this morning, with no changes or actions on my part, no power cycles or reboots or anything, using Alexa to control Hue scenes just started working. Go figure.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Subjunctive posted:

Firmware update?
No idea. Those are silent, I assume? The Alexa app tells me the Dot software version is 564186420 and the Amazon web page says the current version is 561179520. No idea what version it was yesterday.

On a different note, in my Alexa app under devices it now shows "<name>'s 2nd Echo Dot". They just shipped my second one today, so I guess they automatically link it by default? That would be handy, except this new one is going to be a Christmas gift (I see the "Deregister" button).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Can someone confirm/deny that you can now use Alexa and a Harmony hub without a Smartthings hub in between? I'm pretty sure you guys used to say you needed the ST, but it seems they may have changed that about a month ago?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Alright, thanks for the confirmation. Was hoping to avoid an extra hub, but figured I'd check before the ST $50 sale ended.

On a side note, my wife is absolutely giddy about the Dot/speaker/Hue setup we installed last week (and even went from "Who needs to listen to music" to "sign me up for Amazon Music Unlimited"). Tonight she's going to flip when (hopefully) the TP Link plug lets her say "Alexa, turn on the Christmas tree". And next week if she can just say "Alexa turn on/off the TV" my standing as Awesome Man will be cemented. For a while, at least.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Almost a good idea.

Three Olives posted:

The only place this makes sense is a bedroom nightstand
Basement or garage spring to mind, but for those you'd probably want a decent speaker also built in (which I'm guessing that won't have judging by the size of the base). Like an Echolamp instead of a Dotlamp.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Dots are back down to $40 at both Amazon and Best Buy this week.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Pissflaps posted:

Like, can she tell me what album a song is from? Spotify only tells me the song title.
No. You can ask about the album, but it only replies with the Title and Artist.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
For a short while, probably. Then the shine will wear off (HAH!) and you'll with live with a few neat tools or go off the deep end into That Guy territory.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

bobfather posted:

Considering the way Apple has completely screwed up HomeKit, I wouldn't hold my breath for any sort of Echo competitor.
This is my thinking, too. After HealthKit and HomeKit, I have no confidence in their "put out the framework and let independent suppliers/developers make it useful for us" thing.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

GobiasIndustries posted:

My dad got a Dot for Christmas. Can you pair it with a speaker & iPhone via bluetooth at the same time? I know nothing about these things but will probably end up being his go-to person for issues regardless.
As far as I can tell, you cannot pair an iPhone to a dot via Bluetooth. Maybe if you use a phone app that makes the phone look like a speaker.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oh I see, if you start the pairing from the phone you can.

So how do you get the Dot audio output to play through the phone (or vice versa)? I'm paired and connected, but no dice.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I quit trying to figure out why people want to do stuff, especially when it's requests from parents.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
In any case, it appears to me that what GlobiasDad wants to do works with a *wired* speaker connected to the Dot, but the Dot can only connect to one BT device at a time. I see no "Connect" option on the second device (in the Alexa app) until I disconnect the first one.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Probably best to just directly connect, but with one very small downside -- you would lose Alexa using the speaker while music is playing from the phone (unless you pause the music before using Alexa*). Most likely wouldn't be a problem very often.

* I'm assuming the Bose speaker in question is one of the ones that stays connected to the last two devices that streamed to it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Also, I have been using the free trial of amazon music unlimited. I have thought about signing up for it especially for the Echo price but then I saw that I can only access the unlimited content from the echo itself and I am not able to access it from any tablet. I thought that was a weird set up.
Their music service isn't the best, discovery is kind of clunky among other things, but just for info the Individual plan is 7.99/mo or $79/yr ($6.59/mo) for Prime members. It allows access on all kinds of devices, but only one stream at a time.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Just wanted to mention that an Anker Sound Core plus a Dot makes a drat good quasi-Echo for a lot less money than an actual Echo. We've got an Echo and now two Dots and put the new Dot in our bathroom with the Anker. Wife loves using it while she gets ready, showers, etc. The Anker sounds way better than any $30 speaker has a right to sound.
Does that speaker shut off after X minutes of nothing being streamed to it (and require a button press to turn on again)? It seems a lot of Bluetooth speakers do that, and that kind of ruins the whole Xtreme Laziness thing the Dot is all about.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Scrapez posted:

I really wish Amazon would come out with a wall dot. A single gang unit would be excellent.
I'm gonna go anti-Grover* for a second and say it doesn't sound like it would be up to code to mount a transformer of the size you'd need (which gets warm) in a gangbox, crammed up against other electronics and not "easily accessible".

*def: only having a slight idea of what the hell I'm talking about, but erring on the side of caution.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 31, 2016

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I just ran up and looked and it's on. It hadn't been used since last night. Also, it hasn't been plugged in since the day before yesterday.
Thanks for the info, looking for a second speaker and Amazon comments were contradictory on that point.

Edit: there are multiple versions of the soundcore, do you mean this one?

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 31, 2016

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Leaving it plugged in is fine. Rechargeable battery circuitry is smart nowadays.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks for the confirmation, ordered one. I got a Logitech X300 as a gift, and while it had really impressive sound for its size, the auto off thing made it a no-go for pairing with a Dot.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

housefly posted:

Home IPs change often for some ISPs so this might get unwieldy for users.

And no to security based on IP address. But you have a purchase authorization pin that you have to say when you make a purchase but it's complete. I don't know that it's mandatory, but it's a damned good idea.
The purchase code is optional. Default on mine was "off".

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
At first I chuckled at the Alexa deals when I heard about them, but somehow ended up buying four or five things they offered in December.

On the off chance people don't know, Alexa Deals are only for Prime members.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Help me be lazier, goons.

I got this command to work: "Alexa, tell Harmony to set a sleep timer for 60 minutes", which is great. but :effort: that's a lot to say, anyone know of a way I can do that with a shorter command?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I thought of that but I don't see how you can add the sleep timer as a step inside an activity in the Harmony app.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Scrapez posted:

It works well.
And for info it's the skill called Harmony with the red icon. You can have both the blue icon skill and the red icon skill loaded at the same time (the new one is the one that let me get the sleep timer thing to work).

Shine posted:

Is there a skill/way to give timers a name that Alexa speaks when they go off? I like Alexa as a kitchen timer, but sometimes I'll have like 3 timers going at once and it'd be nice to have them "labeled."
Not that I know of but you can ask things like "what timers do I have set?" and it'll say something like "you have a 10 minute timer with about 8:34 remaining and a 30 minute timer with 24:31 remaining". At that point if you want you can say, e.g., "cancel 10 minute timer".

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 11, 2017

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Now if you have a Smart TeaPot (if they exist, but of course they do) and a shirt that keeps riding up, you can go Full Picard.

E: bonus points if you make a Hue group called "phasers" for "set phasers to full".

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 15, 2017

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hue bulbs have a built in scene called "color loop" but as far as I know it's a canned routine and not customizable. It seems like random colors, but I never paid enough attention to it to see if there was a pattern.

You're going to need their hub (called a Hue bridge) to use their colored lights.

Something in the back of my mind makes me think you may need a (size) adapter to get Hue bulbs to work in ceiling fans, too.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
In a typical goon non answer I'm going to repeat something said earlier: if you have any interest at all in green or blue lights, do not get gen2 colored bulbs. Gen3 are way, way better. Not joking, you could almost argue the gen2 bulbs don't even have green, it's greenish-yellow at best.

I don't know of any sales at the moment, but since we only wanted 2 rather than 3 color bulbs, it was a better deal to get a white starter kit and then just buy two colored bulbs. If you're looking to get it/them locally, don't forget to check Bed, Bath, and Beyond, oddly enough.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The Gen3 bulb and starter kit boxes will have a little picture of a light bulb in the upper right with "Richer colors" written over it. Like on this page that shows the gen3 kit next to the gen2 kit: http://www2.meethue.com/en-us/products/?subcategories=58389

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Scrapez posted:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/162105406698

I'm sure these are not gen 3 but pretty cheap.
Two things about that:

If a person thinks it might matter at some point, that's a gen1 hub which isn't Apple HomeKit compatible.
BR30 is a recessed light, iirc.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

eyebeem posted:

So much loving money.
Sounds like a prime example of a case to use smart switches instead of smart bulbs.

E: plus I'm fairly sure a Hue hub can only control 50 bulbs.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

TraderStav posted:

Do you need Plex Pass?
There is no mention of Plex Pass in the Plex web site article or in the Alexa skill description (in the Alexa app).