Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I can envision SOMETHING like this in the future littered throughout the house doing our bidding. Controlling lights, sound, tv, news, weather, etc. I'm happy that someone is putting something in the market and it has my curiosity, but not my full attention. I'll be watching what 2.0 brings and hope that in ten years we have some sweet competition in this space.

I especially like the idea of de-tethering all of these types of things from our phones/mobiles/tablets. The 1:1 nature of smartphones/tablets to people really disconnects the communal usage of the devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I don't think it has a battery of any kind. Could be where they're cutting some costs.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ZombieParts posted:

Oh

Well, that sucks.

I was looking at it as a large bluetooth speaker that I could argue with when I'm drinking. It's not a bad price if there is any kind of sound quality there, but no battery? poo poo.

For what it is though, I'd rather they put the money into sound quality / processing than a battery.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

$150 and can't even do stereo.

Why would you want something that goes in one ear to do Stereo? How many eardrums do you have in each ear?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Why would you ever want mono music?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Stereo is the separation of sound so that you can have a distinct left and right in our Binaural hearing due to having two ears. If you have only one ear being used for sound, that effect is completely wasted as you will not be able to detect the separation of the sound, having only one eardrum. Thus, the inclusion of Stereo has no value.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, and the guy's suggestion was that a silly overpriced Bluetooth headset is better than what's intended primarily as a speaker.

Does the echo only do mono?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

mikemil828 posted:

Yes, it's mono, instead of two small speakers it has one big downfiring speaker.

Oh, that's poo poo. I thought the complaint was they the Moto hint was mono. I withdraw my comments!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah, they must be selling like crazy. I just got my invite a few minutes ago and when I placed the order, it gave me a ship date in late April.

I also got my invite and was going to pick one up for profit on eBay but who knows what the market will be like in April. I'll take a strong look at Echo v2.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nice, good idea actually.

Alexa, play booty music.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Three Olives posted:

This is a dumb product and I don't know how it made it this far. The only place this makes sense is a bedroom nightstand and you don't need two Alexa devices and who buys a super unique table lamp and doesn't want a matched pair?

And the thing is, it doesn't have to be bad, it could have been a fully integrated Alexa device, color temps for reading or simulated sunrise wake up, instead it is a big giant dumb expensive Echo for no apparent reason.

Good point about wanting matching lights. If this thing is cheap enough it may be a good product. Especially if they sell a matching one that doesn't have Alexa.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I won't have my Alexa until Christmas but I was curious about how Alexa integrated with other music eco systems. If I set up Spotify do I have to specify to use Spotify each time or can I just say 'play X song/album/artist/genre' and it'll pull from Spotify by default?

Also, no compatibility with Apple Music I imagine? Probably need to switch over to Spotify it seems.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

JHVH-1 posted:

Would be nice, but with how Apple music works I am not sure if it is possible. Sonos has support for apple music, and you can control Sonos using Alexa. At that point though you would be using the Sonos speakers and probably just throw a dot in the room. Kinda convoluted, and I would just be using the apps to control the music instead.

It's $15 here or $15 there. Sounds like Spotify will be the best for my mixed-use family. Wife and I have iOS, kids have Android tablets, and now Alexa and FireTV.

From what I hear it's mostly the same between services anyway. At least I'm not a power user.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Likely can get some better sound than a dot also due to using the gangbox for resonance.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Keystoned posted:

Why do you need one? Is the current weather it gives you not good enough?

Alexa,

Tell me about the outside world please.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Do you need Plex Pass?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

JHVH-1 posted:

Doesn't look like it, but haven't fully tested yet. I added the skill and then it prompted me to pick which library. I asked it what is on deck and it told me the next title and asked what I wanted to do. Will have to try the rest later when I am done working.

Does it only allow one Library? I have my Movies split into A-M, and N-Z. Or is that not considered a library?

Pissflaps posted:

How does it know which playback device to use?

I would also like to know this.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Is there a way to get my Google Music library on the echo? Guessing not, but usually some clever programmer developed a way.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Great, thanks! Will check it out.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'd like it if they replaced Alexa's voice with Sir Anthony Hopkins.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

$2 Echo Dot newest generation: https://slickdeals.net/f/12292636-a...nly#commentsBox

Can get more than one on multiple accounts (wife) if you ship it elsewhere.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

We added five dots this holiday season, one in each of my three kids rooms, my bathroom, and my office. It's getting a little out of hand with a six echo house. The kids can't stop dropping in on each other and every room is a dance party.

By out of hand, it's really great. We had to make rules though about turning off lights in rooms you're not in and dropping in on each other after bedtime.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

My kids are hooked on Mom jokes.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I hope this isn't too niche of a request, but am having trouble setting this up. I have a number of Alexa devices in my home and am trying to integrate both Apple Music and Freetime for managing the kids echos. In the past, I had set up every echo in the house to my Amazon login, which meant that if anyone tried to play music at the same time it'd turn the other off (including while I was listening outside the home from my phone!). Recently, I found out my kids were messing with Alexa too late and set up the Freetime for each of my three kids so it'd shut off at a certain time.

I was able to get Apple Music to work under one of my sons profiles, but it doesn't associate with his Apple ID and he can't manage his playlists/etc from his iPod. It seems like it's working off of my main Apple Music ID and allowing multiple users, but not ones with separate Apple IDs. I also have an issue with adding skills. Below are my bullets of what I need:

- He used to be able to use skills like "question of the day" and now Alexa just responds with "I'm sorry, I can't do that". I cannot see anyway to allow him adding skills. Is this just an outright restriction?

- With Freetime Unlimited, is there a way to connect HIS Apple Music Apple ID account to his child account, or will it only allow playing of music and playlists associated with the main account?

- Barring the above two working, I could set up individual Amazon accounts for each of the kids and associate those with their family Apple Music accounts, enabling skills, but will I lose the ability to Drop in on the other echo devices in the household? Is there any way to restrict waking hours on a non-freetime account?

Thanks in advance!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Well, more likely set visibility to 0. Don't think any of these companies are actually deleting anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

God I wish I could get Alexa to just play one of my god-damned playlists from Apple music. I'm not even being picky about asking her to shuffle it!