Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Atahualpa posted:

I read that you can apply for business credit cards as a sole proprietor using your SSN in lieu of an EIN if you've got something you can claim as income (e.g., Ebay sales). How legitimate is that and would the IRS frown on it in any way? I'm eyeing that $900 SUB on the Chase Ink Business Cash card.

I've only done it with Amex. I'm technically a landlord since I own my house and my cousin pays me rent, but they never even asked what my business did. They only cared how much money it made. I put $6K and the instantly approved me.

I've heard Chase can be a little more stringent. You might need to do a phone interview and have answers about your business ready.

The IRS isn't going to care about any of it. Chase isn't sending them a 1099 or whatever saying how much you spent on your "business" card.

smackfu posted:

One weird thing is that they will often put both the business name and your name on the card, so for a sole prop it will have your name twice.

I filed for a DBA witht he state for like $50 and now I can put my "real" business name there. Still a sole prop and no EIN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Shroomie posted:

I've only done it with Amex. I'm technically a landlord since I own my house and my cousin pays me rent, but they never even asked what my business did. They only cared how much money it made. I put $6K and the instantly approved me.

I've heard Chase can be a little more stringent. You might need to do a phone interview and have answers about your business ready.

The IRS isn't going to care about any of it. Chase isn't sending them a 1099 or whatever saying how much you spent on your "business" card.

Yep, I’ve applied for chase, Amex, Barclays and citi business cards and received all after instant approval without an actual “traditional” business. Chase did call to confirm info as you’ve indicated above.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

All of the recent chat is extremely relevant to me right now as someone with one side hustle looking to start a second in the new year and pondering an Ink Business Cash for the 5% back on phone bill, internet, and office supplies - glad to see that includes everything at Staples, OfficeMax, etc. so I can get the 5% for copies and printing (or get my own printer and load up on paper and ink).

Both gigs are small-time enough that I will stick with operating under my legal name, but this is all good info nonetheless.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

I've gotten multiple Inks with a LLC I formed a month earlier, but you don't even need to do that much.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Small White Dragon posted:

I actually did this recently, apparently they call the OG Freedom "Freedom with Ultimate Rewards" fyi.

Quoting this one cus I'm gonna need it in about 9 months, and will hopefully remember "Freedom with Ultimate Rewards" as a product switch from the CSR.

So I've got the 5/24 decks nearly cleaned for wife and I. Can get 8 offers here over the next 2 years. I just got an ink and a CSR, what else should I be eyeballing? Was kind of thinking load up on Chase.

we also have:
2% fidelity for day to day
old school blue cash to max out every year on groceries (although my gas purchases are way down, so I've kind of lost utility on this)
amazon card
2 hyatts and 2 ihgs I maintain just for the "free" nights
got rid of the old starwood (rip, westins are my favorite chain, but goddamn those points got devalued into the ground, forget marriott).

And hey, we have a new year BFC feedback thread up here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020879

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hmmm, CSP pay yourself back categories through the end of 2023 are still AirBnB and select charities. I guess next time I travel I'll cash out my points and then downgrade to a plain Sapphire. I have the CFU and CFF, so restaurant/drugstore/Chase portal perks will all survive.

Tempted to apply for a Discover It, but it and the CFF have grocery stores covered for Jan-Mar, so I'll wait til at least April to dive in.

As of May, I'll be under Chase's 5/24 rule and can apply for an Ink Business Cash. SUBs plus more 5% back categories plus no annual fees.

Happy New Year y'all, let's stretch our narrow credit benefits further than ever in 2023!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Starting with a fresh start and currently 0/24 but approved for a Chase Business card last month. How long should I wait before I apply for a regular Chase personal card? I heard anywhere from minimum of 30 days to 90 days.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Busy Bee posted:

Starting with a fresh start and currently 0/24 but approved for a Chase Business card last month. How long should I wait before I apply for a regular Chase personal card? I heard anywhere from minimum of 30 days to 90 days.

There's some good guidelines here: https://imgur.com/a/J44pRyS#cBx9bfc

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Space Fish posted:

Hmmm, CSP pay yourself back categories through the end of 2023 are still AirBnB and select charities.

Disappointed. Hoping we'd get restaurants or something back since I'm done with Airbnb.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I'm done with Airbnb.

:same:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Did CSR keep restaurants for 2023 for pay-yourself-back or get rid of it? I closed mine so just curious.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

smackfu posted:

Did CSR keep restaurants for 2023 for pay-yourself-back or get rid of it? I closed mine so just curious.

I take back my earlier comment, Pay Yourself Back got even worse, and for both Sapphires:

https://thriftytraveler.com/news/credit-card/chase-pay-yourself-back-devaluation/

Preferred:
-Points can be redeemed at 1:1 value for purchases at gas stations and at grocery stores through March 31, 2023
-Points can be redeemed at 25% more for qualifying charities through Dec. 31, 2023

Reserve:
-Points can be redeemed at 25% more value for purchases at gas stations, and grocery stores, as well as towards the card’s $550 annual fee through March 31, 2023. That means you can cover a $500 grocery bill with 40,000 points – or wipe out the entire annual fee with 44,000 points.
-Points can be redeemed at 50% more for qualifying charities through Dec. 31, 2023

Also, just for an easy Airbnb dunk:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Small White Dragon posted:

Alright, just want to point out there is an advantage to having multiple Freedoms if you can take advantage of the 5x categories, since they are capped at $1500 per quarter per card.

I actually did this recently, apparently they call the OG Freedom "Freedom with Ultimate Rewards" fyi.

Space Fish posted:

Hmmm, CSP pay yourself back categories through the end of 2023 are still AirBnB and select charities. I guess next time I travel I'll cash out my points and then downgrade to a plain Sapphire. I have the CFU and CFF, so restaurant/drugstore/Chase portal perks will all survive.

Tempted to apply for a Discover It, but it and the CFF have grocery stores covered for Jan-Mar, so I'll wait til at least April to dive in.

Worth quoting this old point SWD made to me, that during quarters with high spend categories like PayPal or groceries it can be worth it to have both Freedom versions, or a Freedom and a Discover It, even when they overlap.

That said, I can definitely relate. I've never gotten around to getting the Discover or new Freedom either. 5/24 is a harsh mistress and there's always something more profitable up first.

Out of curiosity, why product change down to a plain Sapphire (I didn't even know you could still do this) instead of the older Freedom version you don't already have? Is there any benefit to keeping travel portal access even when you no longer get a 25%/50% bonus for using it?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Space Fish posted:

I take back my earlier comment, Pay Yourself Back got even worse, and for both Sapphires:

Preferred:
-Points can be redeemed at 1:1 value for purchases at gas stations and at grocery stores through March 31, 2023

I thought you could always redeem points 1:1 for cash which makes this part meaningless.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

smackfu posted:

I thought you could always redeem points 1:1 for cash which makes this part meaningless.

You can, and it is. :argh:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Unsinkabear posted:

Worth quoting this old point SWD made to me, that during quarters with high spend categories like PayPal or groceries it can be worth it to have both Freedom versions, or a Freedom and a Discover It, even when they overlap.

That said, I can definitely relate. I've never gotten around to getting the Discover or new Freedom either. 5/24 is a harsh mistress and there's always something more profitable up first.

Out of curiosity, why product change down to a plain Sapphire (I didn't even know you could still do this) instead of the older Freedom version you don't already have? Is there any benefit to keeping travel portal access even when you no longer get a 25%/50% bonus for using it?

Thanks for reminding me about the basic Freedom option, I will probably choose that instead of the basic Sapphire when the time comes. Having a backup card in the same categories as the Flex could be useful someday (not currently batting over $1,500 per quarter in groceries or Paypal but you never know...).

Travel portal access in general is still good for my level of spend, since the CFU and CFF get 5% through it. Sometimes a different site or airline will represent a better travel deal, and other times Chase comes out even, in which case I gladly take the 5% rebate.

On top of all this Sapphire/Freedom/Discover It chat is how Fidelity Rewards and the Chase Amazon card have been bribing customers to use them more often with their own rotating categories. Fidelity's got a promotion going on that enhances their 2% Visa Rewards card with an additional 2% restaurant/theaters benefit through the end of January. Amazon's card recently had promotions for 5% at restaurants (fall 2022) and 10% at gas stations (just ended), looking forward to see which deal is next.

smackfu posted:

"Our premium card benefits are bleeding us dry, someone get these nerds to either cash out at a lower rate or continue propping up the travel industry!"
-some Chase suit

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 1, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Amazon promos make sense to me because we have that card and never carry it. It’s just a permanent 5% discount at Amazon from our perspective.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

smackfu posted:

The Amazon promos make sense to me because we have that card and never carry it. It’s just a permanent 5% discount at Amazon from our perspective.

It had 10% on gas up until yesterday as a special promo. So, thank you for reminding me, I'm taking it out of my wallet.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

On a semi-related note, is there a good app or other process for reminding you which card to use when? I've seen a couple apps that are unnecessarily complicated, require subscriptions, want you to log in to your card accounts... all I'm looking for is a better "given that I have these cards, if I'm making this kind of purchase, I should use this card" solution than my notes app.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If you can't remember them, you could put a little index card in your wallet or put labels on the credit cards themselves.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

disaster pastor posted:

On a semi-related note, is there a good app or other process for reminding you which card to use when? I've seen a couple apps that are unnecessarily complicated, require subscriptions, want you to log in to your card accounts... all I'm looking for is a better "given that I have these cards, if I'm making this kind of purchase, I should use this card" solution than my notes app.

Maxrewards is pretty good, though by far you get the best value if you have Amex and and Citi cards since it will auto add the merchant offers for you. It also tracks subs and the offers you can often get to keep a card. It's a pay what you will. You do have to give the app your log in / password to have it interact with your account.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any decent cards to use in Canada with zero ftf and no annual fee? Planning a road trip in the northeast through the maritime provinces

E: i realized the Costco visa doesn't (iirc) have a ftf, assuming that will work for gas. I also have the quicksilver from. Anything better than those two?

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 2, 2023

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
We are going to make a big purchase (about $7000) in about a month, so I am looking for a decent sign-up bonus to take advantage. My friend is trying to get me to do the Amex Gold for 90k and he'd get 30k for a referral. I already have the Blue Cash Preferred for 6% back on groceries, but I'm ok to sign up for the bonus and to see if we can take advantage of the little extras with the card.

Are there any better sign-up bonuses floating around? Or is 90k Amex points worth the annual fee?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

astral posted:

If you can't remember them, you could put a little index card in your wallet or put labels on the credit cards themselves.

I generally remember, but occasionally I miss edge cases and rotations and get annoyed at myself.

pseudanonymous posted:

Maxrewards is pretty good, though by far you get the best value if you have Amex and and Citi cards since it will auto add the merchant offers for you. It also tracks subs and the offers you can often get to keep a card. It's a pay what you will. You do have to give the app your log in / password to have it interact with your account.

If it's pay-once and not subscription, I'll give it a look. Thanks!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

disaster pastor posted:

I generally remember, but occasionally I miss edge cases and rotations and get annoyed at myself.

If it's pay-once and not subscription, I'll give it a look. Thanks!

No it’s subscription but you can choose to pay 1$ as far as I know.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

VorpalBunny posted:

We are going to make a big purchase (about $7000) in about a month, so I am looking for a decent sign-up bonus to take advantage. My friend is trying to get me to do the Amex Gold for 90k and he'd get 30k for a referral. I already have the Blue Cash Preferred for 6% back on groceries, but I'm ok to sign up for the bonus and to see if we can take advantage of the little extras with the card.

Are there any better sign-up bonuses floating around? Or is 90k Amex points worth the annual fee?

Chase Ink Business Cash has an offer of $900 cash back when you spend $6,000 in the first three months of opening the account. That's a 15% return, plus the established 5% back on phone bill, internet, and office supply stores.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Space Fish posted:

Thanks for reminding me about the basic Freedom option, I will probably choose that instead of the basic Sapphire when the time comes. Having a backup card in the same categories as the Flex could be useful someday (not currently batting over $1,500 per quarter in groceries or Paypal but you never know...).

Travel portal access in general is still good for my level of spend, since the CFU and CFF get 5% through it. Sometimes a different site or airline will represent a better travel deal, and other times Chase comes out even, in which case I gladly take the 5% rebate.

Apparently I misremembered and you can access the portal with any Chase card, no Sapphire required. Which is good, because having an active Sapphire excludes you from re-churning the huge Preferred/Reserve sign-up bonus again (in two years from the date your last one applied). Thanks for reminding me to look into all this as well, I'll be downgrading that Preferred to a Freedom Flex probably around the same time you downgrade to the Freedom OG. :hfive:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a Capital One Quicksilver card that I don't use. I opened it as a Savor back in 2020, downgraded to a Savor One after a year, then did a product change.

According to Credit Karma, it will drop my available credit by 13% but my utilization is usually <2% anyway.

I know that it's often recommend to keep your cards open with periodic purchases to help your credit score, but I'm already 800+ and it doesn't seem like this will hurt much. Should I just let it close so that it's one less account to worry about?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a Capital One Quicksilver card that I don't use. I opened it as a Savor back in 2020, downgraded to a Savor One after a year, then did a product change.

According to Credit Karma, it will drop my available credit by 13% but my utilization is usually <2% anyway.

I know that it's often recommend to keep your cards open with periodic purchases to help your credit score, but I'm already 800+ and it doesn't seem like this will hurt much. Should I just let it close so that it's one less account to worry about?

Yeah, you're fine.

It's only a 2 year old card and you're already at 800+.

Unless that is card is your only line of credit ever, then it won't make a difference long-term.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I have a Quicksilver I got ~20 years ago and it's my oldest card, so I pay one recurring bill with it just to keep it open. It has a relatively low limit and Capital One won't raise it since I don't make much use of the credit line. If I had opened it in 2020 then I wouldn't care at all and just sock drawer it until they close it for inactivity.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SamDabbers posted:

I have a Quicksilver I got ~20 years ago and it's my oldest card, so I pay one recurring bill with it just to keep it open. It has a relatively low limit and Capital One won't raise it since I don't make much use of the credit line.

This is me. I have one card with a $1000 limit which is like, enough to put one or two smaller things like an oil change or a month of groceries but useless for anything else. It's a stalemate, it's too small to use, but they won't raise my limit on it because I don't use it

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

The account will remain as a factor on your credit for 10 years after you close it.

Also they may not close it for a really long time.

If you use amazon you can set up an auto-reload of a 5$ gift card once a year and that will probably keep your account active enough, but closing it also probably won't make any real difference.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Might be worth keeping because of how much Capital One sucks w.r.t. pulling all 3 bureaus for applications, generally being more difficult about approving people for cards when they have good credit, etc.

If you are gonna go that route, make sure you have at least one other no-annual-fee card that has no foreign transaction fees.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Should we go find a different travel agent or is amex the correct solution

Currently on hold with amex rerouting travel for tomorrow to SE Asia to, I guess Spain and Morocco, and then Mexico and our credit got eaten by the system so waiting to hear back on the ticketing being confirmed

Lol I think I've spent cumulatively 10 hours on hold spread over a week getting this resolved; Amex told us the flight credit would apply to any star alliance member, that was not at all true

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Amex customer service has really sucked for me recently.

I cancelled a card recently and the rep told me that I would lose the unspent cashback on the card. I asked if that was the only thing I would lose and they said yes. I said that was fine and they closed the card, but charged me a $350 fee because I closed it one day early and "forfeited" the sign-on bonus + they had to clawback the restaurant credit I spent 353 days ago.

I escalated the problem and said I wanted those fees refunded. They said they could probably refund them if I reactivated my card. I did, but it cost $35 for them to reactivate it because they needed a "new credit check."

It took 3 months.

They kept telling me it was still being reviewed.

Then, I called again and they told me the ticket had been closed 2 months ago and was denied. They said that even though the rep told me that I would not lose it, that it was written in to the card member agreement online when I registered for the card and 364 days is less than 365 days.

They eventually agreed to refund me $100 because they made me wait 3 months to tell me that they closed the ticket a week after my first phone call. But, they still charged me $250 + $35 for the reactivation.

It was extremely annoying and I just cancelled the card for good after that since I was going to eat all the fees regardless.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Holy poo poo, that is infuriating

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Uhhh what Amex card was that? That's garbage.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

KillHour posted:

Uhhh what Amex card was that? That's garbage.

Amex Gold.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I looked up the Delta Gold card I got specifically to churn for the points and haha this poo poo is garbage

quote:

If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with this offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain an offer(s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit, we may freeze, or we may take away bonus miles from your account. We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us.

It's still worth more than the $100 fee to keep it a second year but gently caress you, Amex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

KillHour posted:

I looked up the Delta Gold card I got specifically to churn for the points and haha this poo poo is garbage

It's still worth more than the $100 fee to keep it a second year but gently caress you, Amex.

I assume it was similar language on my Amex Gold card. Apparently, having a customer service rep verbally confirm and confirm in writing on the online chat that you wouldn't lose anything doesn't count if you didn't remember that they added that to their cardholder agreement last year.