Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I got my Discover It Miles card back in 2019, after a year the accumulated miles doubled, and this month I spent literally all of them (269k) on a major trip. So, what now? Product change to something else to get another bonus in a year? Close this one and start fresh with a new one? All I care about is miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I have a garbage Citibank card that I haven't used since 2020 and they just sent me a polite letter saying that they're going to close it due to inactivity if I don't make at least one purchase by 6/30/23. That's good service! I'm not being sarcastic

I try to make a point to use any of my non-active cards once a year or so to buy a cup of coffee or something just to generate a statement.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
If you do a lot of shopping on Amazon, buying gift cards there can be useful too.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Busy Bee posted:

If you do a lot of shopping on Amazon, buying gift cards there can be useful too.

You can set Amazon to buy a gift card on a specific payment card every 6 months or a year.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Space Fish posted:

New Amazon Rewards Visa opt-in bonus arrived:

"Activate this special offer by March 31, 2023 and you’ll earn a total of:

5% back at gas stations
5% back on internet, cable and phone services
3% back at grocery stores

This offer is valid for every $1 you spend on up to $1,500 in combined purchases made with your Amazon Rewards Visa Card."

This card has really woken the gently caress up lately after years of slumber.

Edit: Huh, "this promotion is not available for the account you entered," okay. Prime only? Not for my zip code, perhaps?

Thanks, I didn't see this promoted anywhere, but it did activate for my Amazon card. Should be nice for gas. Discover IT already grocery stores as their 5% category for this quarter though.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

good news, folks

i FINALLY managed to pass the 800 mark on my credit score. took loving FOREVER for some dumb reason, but at least we're finally there

so what fun/hopefully profitable things can i do with my newfound status?

pseudanonymous posted:

I started a thread in C&D to talk specifically about churning since that seems to be at cross purposes to this threads focus on solid all around long-term cards:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017817

sweet. i wanted to know more about this sort of thing, actually

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Mr Interweb posted:

sweet. i wanted to know more about this sort of thing, actually

Conveniently, it is also the answer to your first question

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m confused why I’ve been charged an interest fee on my BOA card, and want to make sure it doesn’t happen again. I’ve had cards for 15 years or whatever and I’m pretty sure I’ve never paid a penny in interest so I’m kinda bugged even if it’s not a huge amount of money (like $50).

My 0% APR period closed on 12/19, and as I had a fair chunky balance from a bunch of stuff that had come up at the end of last year I arranged a balance transfer to a new 0% card with another provider. This totaled around $4,800 or so and by Jan 11th this was complete and I paid off the rest of the balance as well, around $1,200 or so. The due date was 1/16 so to my mind that should be all fine. The app confirms I had a balance of 0.

The $50 charge says it’s against a purchase balance of $3,000 but I cannot see where this figure comes from. Since the 0% cutoff in December id charged $350 or so in online bills and that’s it and they were part of the balance I zeroed.

From the newest statement a few days ago:
Previous Balance $5,786.71
Payments and Other Credits -$6,018.58
Purchases and Adjustments $350.53
Fees Charged $0.00
Interest Charged $56.95

I called and asked and essentially got the runaround from a lady who couldn’t explain why and then said I needed to zero my balance two months in a row which I’ve never heard of before. They declined to cancel the charge as a goodwill thing that my gf said I should request.

I feel like I now need to pay off this card the second any charges land on it to avoid any charges which is ridiculous, I’ve never had a situation where I’ve paid off the bill that was sent in the time period requested and still gotten charged.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've always taken the "promotional rate ends on X" as "this balance must be paid in full by X or we start assessing interest immediately without any grace period".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that’s the only thing I can think of and kinda expected the person on the phone to say as such, but then she didn’t. Maybe just lack of training? Still a weird amount to run it against as doesn’t match my spending and I guess I’ve always closed these things off before the date comes up for finals so never been an issue before. Thanks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah that’s the only thing I can think of and kinda expected the person on the phone to say as such, but then she didn’t. Maybe just lack of training? Still a weird amount to run it against as doesn’t match my spending and I guess I’ve always closed these things off before the date comes up for finals so never been an issue before. Thanks.

Yeah generally the fine print in any 0% APR promotion is that you have to have it fully paid off by the time of the promo ending or you're charged all of the interest you would have acquired from all purchases during that period. I worked at Best Buy for a long time and it was a huge gotcha that led to a ton of pissed off people.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

E: whoops, wrong CC thread

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
My GF and I are trying to help her younger sister get her debt under control. First step has been to apply to Citi Simplicity to do a balance transfer to help keep interest under control while she pays down her card. She got approved but only for a $2k limit (she has around $4.5k total she needs to pay down). Her credit score was still decent (~720), but her usage was already high (IIRC her limit on the 4.5k card is 6k). That combined with a low income is why I'm guessing she was only approved for $2k.

What's the best move going forward for limiting interest? I assume immediately applying for another balance transfer card (e.g. WF Reflect as BankAmericard isn't an option since the balance needs to be transferred from a BoA card) would be a bad idea as that would be an additional credit hit and possibly wouldn't even be approved after the Citi application. I'm thinking she should transfer the $2k to the new card and pay the minimum while paying as much as possible on the existing card in the meantime. Then after her usage is down and credit score recovered from the new account, either a) right before the 120 day intro balance transfer period ends apply for a credit limit increase to potentially transfer more balance off the original card, or b) after 4-6 months apply for a new balance transfer card (e.g. WF Reflect) to transfer the remaining balance on the original card.

Does that seem like a good approach, or are there better options?

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I stopped using my BOA card because the autopay setting was horrendous. I finally canceled all of my cards with them because it was such a pain in the rear end to automate paying the statement balance each month. Im convinced they make the interface so terrible to try to force folks to carry a balance and miss payments.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Splinter posted:

My GF and I are trying to help her younger sister get her debt under control. First step has been to apply to Citi Simplicity to do a balance transfer to help keep interest under control while she pays down her card. She got approved but only for a $2k limit (she has around $4.5k total she needs to pay down). Her credit score was still decent (~720), but her usage was already high (IIRC her limit on the 4.5k card is 6k). That combined with a low income is why I'm guessing she was only approved for $2k.

What's the best move going forward for limiting interest? I assume immediately applying for another balance transfer card (e.g. WF Reflect as BankAmericard isn't an option since the balance needs to be transferred from a BoA card) would be a bad idea as that would be an additional credit hit and possibly wouldn't even be approved after the Citi application. I'm thinking she should transfer the $2k to the new card and pay the minimum while paying as much as possible on the existing card in the meantime. Then after her usage is down and credit score recovered from the new account, either a) right before the 120 day intro balance transfer period ends apply for a credit limit increase to potentially transfer more balance off the original card, or b) after 4-6 months apply for a new balance transfer card (e.g. WF Reflect) to transfer the remaining balance on the original card.

Does that seem like a good approach, or are there better options?

I'd post in the BFC newbie thread for general advice on this one.

The number one question that will always be asked is "is the spending under control?". The common trap people fall into is doing balance transfers onto cards and turn building the balance back up on the original

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Medullah posted:

I'd post in the BFC newbie thread for general advice on this one.

The number one question that will always be asked is "is the spending under control?". The common trap people fall into is doing balance transfers onto cards and turn building the balance back up on the original

She seems to have, but ultimately we'll have to wait and see whether she's able to stick with it. Main problem seemed to be lack of financial education and she seems committed to getting this handled now. The big light bulb moment was showing her the spot on her CC statement where it says something alone the lines of "if you only pay the minimum payment it will take you 20 years to pay off your balance and you'll have paid a total of eleventy billion dollars by the time you're finished". I'll try the other thread though thanks.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
In reality how long does a referral take to get processed on a chase card? I used a friend's referral code about 2 weeks ago and it still hasn't processed on their end.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Alliant Credit Union has some bonuses up now for its checking/savings/certificate accounts. $400 total possible for new members, $300 for existing (Maybe $200?, might be worth waiting a bit for details to be clearer). The checking account is a requirement for their excellent 2.5% cashback card.
Bank account bonuses are taxable unlike credit card ones, so keep that in mind.
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/alliant-credit-union-400-checking-savings-cd-bonus-for-new-or-existing-members-code-fastpass/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Medullah posted:

Yeah generally the fine print in any 0% APR promotion is that you have to have it fully paid off by the time of the promo ending or you're charged all of the interest you would have acquired from all purchases during that period. I worked at Best Buy for a long time and it was a huge gotcha that led to a ton of pissed off people.

This is not always the case and I would expect it not to be the case with an actual 0% interest offer from a BofA/Chase type bank. But the minute that 0% ends, the interest starts billing, even if that's in the middle of your billing cycle.

The deals you're thinking of will have "deferred interest" somewhere in too-small print and in my experience I've only seen them from store-associated cards like the Synchrony one that Discount Tire uses. On those, yes, the interest starts adding up at the moment you make the purchase, but doesn't actually get billed to you unless you still have any portion of the balance outstanding after the promo period ends.

Either way, the safe move is to pay the promo balance in full before the promo period ends. My own paranoia makes me do it at least one billing cycle in advance so I've got at least one bill generated by their system that shows no more charges subject to interest.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

This won't be relevant to most of us, but Chase is running a record-setting bonus right now for checking + savings as well. Everyone's trying to pad those Q1 books, I guess.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/targeted-chase-900-checking-savings-bonus/

I'm kicking myself because I just got around to closing my chase checking account a couple of weeks ago, when I could have done so almost a year prior. I would be eligible for this if I had.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Posting this to the more appropriate credit card thread:

I'm about to embark on a major kitchen remodel and I'm thinking about how I'm going to pay for it. I originally assumed I would take out a HELOC, and right now rates are pretty high. Now I'm thinking about grabbing a 0% APR credit card, charging as many items as I can on it, and paying it off before the promo period ends (seems like 18 or 21 months is available right now). If for some reason I haven't paid off the balance before the interest kicks in, I could open another 0% APR credit card and do a balance transfer. I likely would also have to open a HELOC because I doubt every contractor I'll work with will take a credit card, and it would also give me an out in case I don't qualify for another 0% APR card for some reason. I do know that balance transfers on credit cards usually carry a 3% fee. This is still preferable to the 8% rates I'm seeing on HELOCs at the moment and ofc those are variable and could continue to increase.

Where is the flaw in this plan?? I have excellent credit, lots of open lines of credit because I used to churn on the regular (but haven't for a couple years), will absolutely be diligent enough not to miss deadlines that would cause me to pay interest in the credit card once the promo period ends, etc. I kinda assume I'm gonna need maybe $20-30k on top of what I've got available in cash, so the only issue I can think of right now is I might not get a high enough limit on the card to cover everything involved with the project.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Sirotan posted:

I'm about to embark on a major kitchen remodel and I'm thinking about how I'm going to pay for it. I originally assumed I would take out a HELOC, and right now rates are pretty high. Now I'm thinking about grabbing a 0% APR credit card, charging as many items as I can on it, and paying it off before the promo period ends (seems like 18 or 21 months is available right now). If for some reason I haven't paid off the balance before the interest kicks in, I could open another 0% APR credit card and do a balance transfer. I likely would also have to open a HELOC because I doubt every contractor I'll work with will take a credit card, and it would also give me an out in case I don't qualify for another 0% APR card for some reason. I do know that balance transfers on credit cards usually carry a 3% fee. This is still preferable to the 8% rates I'm seeing on HELOCs at the moment and ofc those are variable and could continue to increase.

Where is the flaw in this plan?? I have excellent credit, lots of open lines of credit because I used to churn on the regular (but haven't for a couple years), will absolutely be diligent enough not to miss deadlines that would cause me to pay interest in the credit card once the promo period ends, etc. I kinda assume I'm gonna need maybe $20-30k on top of what I've got available in cash, so the only issue I can think of right now is I might not get a high enough limit on the card to cover everything involved with the project.

Contractors unlikely to take cards (or will add a surcharge), like you've said. Risk of not being able to get a HELOC or other balance transfer later when you'd need it. Balance transfer fees. Risk of cost overruns.

Overall though, not a terrible option? Other ideas: margin loan from (for example) IBKR which comes with its own pros/cons, or *gasp* waiting until you have all the funds in cash.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Sirotan posted:

The flaw in this plan is that it is a literal trap. Credit card companies push these offers because the majority of people who use them will not pay the entire balance back before the promotion rate ends.
You do have enough credit and a good plan to potentially avoid the trap and still walk away with the 0% cheese, but just know what you're walking into.

More seriously, the risks are mostly something unexpected happening. Something like losing your job, car getting totaled, or an unexpected injury that prevents you from having the money to pay off in full and on time. Or multiple incidents happening at the same time which many people don't account for. (A car accident which causes an injury that prevents you from working).
Some other details to keep in mind.
  • Some lovely credit cards will retroactively charge you interest for the entire promotion period if you have even $0.01 balance remaining at the end. This is usually seen in the lovely store credit cards they push on people in checkout, not credit cards from major banks. But it's something to check the terms for.
  • 0% APR doesn't mean 0 payments, you need to make sure to at least make the minimum payment each month on time. Missing a payment will cause all the normal headaches, but will also immediately end the 0% APR promotion period.
  • You won't be able to do a 0% APR balance transfer to a 2nd credit card offered from the same bank. So if your planning on transferring the balance from your first card to a Chase Slate, the first card should not be with Chase.
  • Having a card with a high utilization rate will have a significant impact on your credit score, so the 2nd balance transfer card you apply for you might not qualify for as high a credit limit as you might expect.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I have fallen for a gift card scam at my local WalMart. I used a Chase Freedom Flex to buy a gift card for a friend in need to help with their groceries. When they went to spend it, they were told the card had a $0 balance and was already spent in another state. The friend scratched off the PIN label, so there's no visual evidence left of if/how it was replaced. The scammer would have recorded the barcode and PIN in advance and tested the numbers each day online to see if any money landed in the account.

I have the gift card and my receipt showing I purchased and activated the card roughly a week ago. Is there any chance of:
1) WalMart spotting me a new gift card or refunding me? (haha no)
2) Chase letting me reverse the charge?

Either way, be cautious about physical gift cards, y'all.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Contact Walmart first and then if they're no help reverse the charge through Chase. That's why I use credit cards whenever I can, it's on them to research the fraud.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Space Fish posted:

I have fallen for a gift card scam at my local WalMart. I used a Chase Freedom Flex to buy a gift card for a friend in need to help with their groceries. When they went to spend it, they were told the card had a $0 balance and was already spent in another state. The friend scratched off the PIN label, so there's no visual evidence left of if/how it was replaced. The scammer would have recorded the barcode and PIN in advance and tested the numbers each day online to see if any money landed in the account.

I have the gift card and my receipt showing I purchased and activated the card roughly a week ago. Is there any chance of:
1) WalMart spotting me a new gift card or refunding me? (haha no)
2) Chase letting me reverse the charge?

Either way, be cautious about physical gift cards, y'all.
i'm still trying to figure out how they do this since all the explanations online don't make much sense (scammers print their own barcodes and placed them on the card.. scammers buy the card and return it ???)

be prepared to wait a long time assuming they give you a refund. i would show provide the receipt and also the fact that it was spent in another state.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
There's a way you can remove the scratch off covering the PIN code and put it back to make it seem like nothing happened.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Busy Bee posted:

There's a way you can remove the scratch off covering the PIN code and put it back to make it seem like nothing happened.

This seems to be getting pretty endemic.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

pzy posted:

Has anyone tried Bilt for rent payments? Seems too good to be true - they'll mail a check to your landlord (like Plastiq), no fees (unlike Plastiq), and you earn points for rent payments which could be like $500/yr in cash back. You also need 5 non-rent transactions per statement period to earn points, no minimums

I signed up and was instantly approved for their MasterCard, but trying to setup automatic rent payments requires "BiltProtect" which immediately debits your checking account for the amount of your rent right when the payment goes through. You still earn points but lose the "benefit" of carrying rent as unpaid balance for up to a month (or longer if you loving love interest payments)

They apparently don't require BiltProtect if you manually pay every month, but you can't schedule that, so I can't actually try it until the end of April.

Anyway here's my referral link in case anyone wants to try it out: https://bilt.page/r/LUKE-I08DR

Are you still using Bilt? Have you had any issues with it? I’m thinking about signing up basically just to use for rent, but I was looking for some reviews of it from actual users, as opposed to a site like TPG. Anyone else using it?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

Are you still using Bilt? Have you had any issues with it? I’m thinking about signing up basically just to use for rent, but I was looking for some reviews of it from actual users, as opposed to a site like TPG. Anyone else using it?

I’ve heard a lot of people having fraud issues with Bilt.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah it seems like maybe their pool of card numbers isn’t big enough and the expiration dates are too similar so people are getting fraud charges on their cards as soon as they are activated. Big mess.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

OldSenileGuy posted:

I have been using it as my main card since I got it, saving all that money on rent is nice. I just use the points monthly towards my rent and save about $50 just thanks to regular purchases. Not having to worry about checks or mailing it is great too.

I did get hit with a fraudulent charge (a test one for 99¢) about 2 weeks ago, but to Bilt's credit they overnighted a new card to me and there hasn't been a problem since. They also gave me 1000 points (about $10) for my troubles, and acknowledged that Bilt specifically was dealing with fraud issues that they're addressing.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Thanks for the info, I never would have seen all that about the fraud stuff unless I specifically searched for "Bilt Fraud"

I was gonna sign up today to try to use it for rent tomorrow, but I'll probably wait a month or so until all this fraud stuff dies down and hopefully goes away.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Unsinkabear posted:

This won't be relevant to most of us, but Chase is running a record-setting bonus right now for checking + savings as well. Everyone's trying to pad those Q1 books, I guess.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/targeted-chase-900-checking-savings-bonus/

I'm kicking myself because I just got around to closing my chase checking account a couple of weeks ago, when I could have done so almost a year prior. I would be eligible for this if I had.

This seems legit. I put my email in to get the coupon and all the links seem real. If I do it I might go to a branch just to make sure...

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

truavatar posted:

This seems legit. I put my email in to get the coupon and all the links seem real. If I do it I might go to a branch just to make sure...

I got a $600 bonus last year. Chase does this, and it's "churnable" if you open the account then close it and wait 2 years they will do another one.l

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

truavatar posted:

I had the $300 deposit into my checking account today.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Keep in mind that you do have to pay taxes on bank bonuses though, it’s treated exactly like interest.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Can a direct deposit be something I initiated myself to my Chase account? For example, a Wise transfer or a transfer from a different bank account.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 1, 2023

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

Can a direct deposit be something I initiated myself to my Chase account? For example, a Wise transfer or a transfer from a different bank account.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/knowledge-base/list-methods-banks-count-direct-deposits/

Basically, sometimes, it varies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Thanks for sharing!

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Feb 1, 2023