Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Anand Win a Game?
This poll is closed.
Yes 11 22.45%
No 4 8.16%
Hell No 1 2.04%
Hahaha No 11 22.45%
Putin has managed to become a threat to both Russia and World Peace because Obama is not a strong leader like Ronald Reagan 22 44.90%
Total: 49 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

V for Vegas posted:

All hail our new champion - Quackamura!

Magnus wishes he could play as well as Quackamura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Interesting post from Magnus on reforming the WC

https://www.facebook.com/magnuschess/posts/716100188495958

quote:

In advance of travelling to the US to prepare for the Sinquefield Cup, I felt it important to share with you something I have been thinking about a great deal: the World Championship cycle format.
I want to preface what I’m about to say with the notion that I have great respect and reverence for all the World Champions that have come before me, and for those that have contributed to the professionalization of chess. The Chennai match against V. Anand and our subsequent match in Sochi were both equally powerful and wonderful experiences. I was amazed by the intensity of the match format, as well as the massive interest from both the media and the public. I know people are working diligently to organize the 2014-2016 World Championship cycle, and I very much look forward to the match in November 2016 against the winner of the spring 2016 Candidates tournament.
Despite this, I have, for a long time believed - and voiced publicly - that there should be a new World Championship cycle system, which is both balanced and fair. Those of you who have followed top level chess closely for years will remember that I openly raised the issue of the privileges held by the World Champion on several occasions, prior to qualifying for the match in 2013.
In short, I strongly believe the chess world should evolve to a more just system. What does that look like? I have long thought that moving to an annual knock-out event, similar to the World Cup, would be more equitable. This change would in effect improve the odds of becoming World Champion for nearly every chess player, with the exception of the reigning World Champion, and potentially a few other top players who would no longer be favoured by the current format. Creating regional qualifying events combined with rating spots, the participation of all the top players in the world and the undisputed World Championship title at stake, I truly believe this would make the World Championship cycle more accessible to everyone.
In conclusion, I strongly recommend FIDE look into modernizing the World Championship cycle format.
What are your thoughts? Do you agree that the Chess World Championship cycle would benefit from a new system?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Not that I'm against the general logic of reforming the championship system, but I don't like the motivation he's giving. If a knockout system makes it less likely that the strongest players will both challenge for and win the title, that to me is a negative.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How do you deal with Russia in a 'regional' competition that is at all fair?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

V for Vegas posted:

How do you deal with Russia in a 'regional' competition that is at all fair?

I imagine that that would be covered by the rating spots.

And, as odd as it is to say, it's actually the US that risks losing more now. With fed switches, they're the only country with three top 10 players (although Russia has five in the top 14).

I actually really like the current GP system in concept, but are there criticisms that it shuts out non-European players? Maybe an expanded GP system would help accommodate the fact that China now has 8 >2700 players.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Sinquefield Cup is just kicking off now. Chess24 continues to have the best interface burdened by a Jen Shahade/Yasser Seirawan/Maurice Ashley crew.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

So Caruana-Carlsen just played an extended sequence with under a minute on the clock (no increment), which ended with Caruana punting an equal position on move 40.

With Topalov-Nakamura still going, Anand and Caruana are 0/2, and if Topalov (or Nakamura, I guess, but he ain't looking so good) wins he'll be the only person with 2/2.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
If you want some chess to watch this afternoon, there's a lot of post-championship silliness happening in St. Louis now as part of the "Ultimate Moves" day. You get to hear grandmasters accuse each other of ruining positions in team games, and then Magnus say "no, that's bullshit!"

http://www.twitch.tv/saintlouischessclub

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

LOL Naka plays Randy Sinquefield with rook odds, and Randy hangs his extra rook on move 2.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

gret posted:

LOL Naka plays Randy Sinquefield with rook odds, and Randy hangs his extra rook on move 2.

Naka then benefits again in the next blitz game against Carlsen: the rules require Randy and Rex to take over for their GM teammates for 5 moves at move 21, and Randy again blunders a rook.

Edit: This is all very silly and fun. I might have to try to get out to the Sinquefield Cup for at least the final few days next year.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

OrangeKing posted:

Naka then benefits again in the next blitz game against Carlsen: the rules require Randy and Rex to take over for their GM teammates for 5 moves at move 21, and Randy again blunders a rook.

Edit: This is all very silly and fun. I might have to try to get out to the Sinquefield Cup for at least the final few days next year.

I went last year (hey, I live here and wanted to see what all the Caruana fuss was about) and it's great: $10 for admission, you get free access to the Chess Museum, free food and drink in the viewing/commentary rooms, plus there's a bar attached to the Chess Club with games always going on and $4 pints of good local beer.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Yasser ragging Kasparov might be the hardest I've ever laughed at anything chess related.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
haha, another one. Jesus, what's the top prize for a tournament like this - a thousand euro? As if you're not going to get caught beating GMs.

quote:

An Italian chess player has been expelled from one of Italy’s most important tournaments after he allegedly used Morse code and a spy pendant containing a hidden camera to communicate with an accomplice.

Arcangelo Ricciardi entered the International Chess Festival of Imperia ranked 51,366 in the world, but astonished rivals as he breezed through the early stages of the competition to reach the eighth and penultimate round.

Jean Coqueraut, who refereed the tournament in Liguria, northern Italy, said he began to suspect something was wrong early on in the competition.

“In chess, performances like that are impossible,” he told La Stampa newspaper. “I didn’t think he was a genius, I knew he had to be a cheat.

“I kept on looking at him. He was always sitting down, he never got up. It was very strange; we are taking about hours and hours of playing. But most suspicious of all, he always had his arms folded with his thumb under his armpit. He never took it out.”

Mr Coqueraut said he was also “batting his eyelids in the most unnatural way”.

“Then I understood it,” he said. “He was deciphering signals in Morse code.”

The referee attempted to expose Mr Ricciardi by asking him to empty his pockets, but nothing was found. When the Italian was asked to open his shirt, he refused.

Tournament organisers then asked the 37-year old to pass through a metal detector and a sophisticated pendant was found hanging around his neck underneath a shirt. The pendant contained a tiny video camera as well as a mass of wires attached to his body and a 4cm box under his armpit. Mr Ricciardi claimed they were good luck charms.

It is thought the camera was used to transmit the chess game in real time to an accomplice or sophisticated computer, which then suggested moves for Mr Ricciardi through a series of signals received in the box under his arm.

Mr Coqueraut said Mr Ricciardi constantly drank from a glass of water and wiped his face with a handkerchief to conceal the pendant around his neck. An investigation has been launched and the Italian Chess Federation is deciding whether to press charges for sports fraud.

Allegations of cheating are rare at the top level of chess but increasingly sophisticated technology is being used among those who break the rules.
In April, a disgraced Georgian Grandmaster Gaioz Nigalidze was expelled from the Dubai Open after being caught pretending to be desperate for the loo so he could use a mobile phone to cheat. The device was found to be logged into Nigalidze's social networking account and had one of his games being analysed by a smartphone chess app.

The Imperia Chess Festival is the longest running open event in Italy and attracts some of the biggest names in the sport.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Anyone doing the London Classic this year? I'm definitely going, but haven't decided on which events just yet.

By the way, if you're a UK resident and under 25 then all the tournaments are free, which is an absolutely insane deal.

fe: link

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

V for Vegas posted:

haha, another one. Jesus, what's the top prize for a tournament like this - a thousand euro? As if you're not going to get caught beating GMs.

It's one of those things that makes you wonder "why don't people cheat more subtly?" and then sadly note that while people don't talk about it much, there must be some who are cheating without making it so blindingly obvious.

Hand Knit posted:

Anyone doing the London Classic this year? I'm definitely going, but haven't decided on which events just yet.

By the way, if you're a UK resident and under 25 then all the tournaments are free, which is an absolutely insane deal.

fe: link

That's an amazing deal. I'd love to go, but I can't make it happen this year.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

World Cup starts tomorrow. Who you got? Very strong field this year.

Bracket winners:
1 - Svidler
2 - Ding
3 - Tomashevsky? Probably the toughest since So hasn't been playing very well.
4 - Giri
5 - Caruana
6 - Yu
7 - Ivanchuk
8 - Nakamura

Overall winner - Giri

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Is anyone reading this? Anyway, actual bracket winners:

1 - Svidler
2 - Yi
3 - Vachier-Lagrave
4 - Giri
5 - Mamedyarov
6 - Karjakin
7 - Eljanov
8 - Nakamura

Top 8 is Svidler - Yi, Mamedyarov-Karjakin, Eljanov-Nakamura, and MVL-Giri. Looks like Eljanov and Mamedyarov are going to win with white game 1, and the other two have already drawn.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Course we're reading this.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Hand Knit posted:

Is anyone reading this? Anyway, actual bracket winners:

1 - Svidler
2 - Yi
3 - Vachier-Lagrave
4 - Giri
5 - Mamedyarov
6 - Karjakin
7 - Eljanov
8 - Nakamura

Top 8 is Svidler - Yi, Mamedyarov-Karjakin, Eljanov-Nakamura, and MVL-Giri. Looks like Eljanov and Mamedyarov are going to win with white game 1, and the other two have already drawn.

Do you only post when Nakamura loses?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

gret posted:

Do you only post when Nakamura loses?

Can't post without inspiration.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Top 4 is set, with Giri-Svidler and Eljanov-Karjakin.

The top 8 was decently interesting. Giri and Eljanov both advanced in the classical section. Karjakin, meanwhile, had to save a losing position to make tiebreakers where he beat Mamedyarov in the short rapid game. Svidler punted strong advantages against Wei Yi like four different times before finally winning in blitz, in a game where he was ironically quite a bit worse out of the opening.

Svidler won in 2011, and were he to win he would follow Anand as the second player to win multiple world cups. This is Karjakin's third time in the semifinals, though he's never made the finals. Giri would be the youngest player to win by quite a bit, passing however old Aronian was when he won.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Svidler-Eljanov final would be OK.

Rather see Giri though

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Svidler-Karjakin it is! Interesting set of players lining up for the Candidates, for sure. Looks like Topalov and Giri are the favorites to get the rating-based spots, though that could change if there were dramatic shifts in the last three months of the year (Giri is more vulnerable, but even he is well ahead of Kramnik/Grischuk/Aronian in the monthly averages for 2015 right now). It will be really interesting to see who the wild card selection might be, seeing as how Kramnik and Aronian would be very attractive alternatives to a local favorite. Unless they are the local favorite - I still haven't read anything about a site for the Candidates yet.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've always found it kind of awesome that Svidler was such a huge cricket nerd.

(case in point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAjaeGMB51c)

I love his chess commentary, so now I'm hugely excited this actually happened! (TMS - Test Match Special, the BBC cricket commentary show with the legendary Aggers)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Big shock today as Karjakin blundered a very good position and is suddenly down 2-0 in the finals. Svidler now only needs one draw over the last two games to win.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Go Svidler!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

So this continues to be the weirdest final. In a position where Svidler could win a rook, he instead hung a rook and lost. So now Karjakin goes into the last classical game with white needing a win.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

GM Dan King thinks that the real prize for the tournament is the 2 contenders berths they already have, so there was less preparation for the final.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

GM Dan King thinks that the real prize for the tournament is the 2 contenders berths they already have, so there was less preparation for the final.

Possible. I'd bet that fatigue is playing a part as well.

Also, after 15 1/2 moves Karjakin has a healthy lead. We might actually get a tiebreak out of this :psyduck:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

All I know about what's happening is that Svidler was a pretty good co-host for Sochi 2014.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Random stuff just mentioned on air:

(1) The next title match will be in the US
(2) The candidates will be in either the US or Baku
(3) If Baku, the organizers nominees will be Mamedyarov and Radjabov
(4) The Women's title match will be in Monaco

Also, while the computer eval is still ugly, Svidler's position is looking more and more savable.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Hand Knit posted:

Random stuff just mentioned on air:

(1) The next title match will be in the US
(2) The candidates will be in either the US or Baku
(3) If Baku, the organizers nominees will be Mamedyarov and Radjabov
(4) The Women's title match will be in Monaco

Also, while the computer eval is still ugly, Svidler's position is looking more and more savable.

If the title match really does come to the US, and it's at a time I can travel, and I can afford it, and...

Well, basically, I'll go if I can.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

OrangeKing posted:

If the title match really does come to the US, and it's at a time I can travel, and I can afford it, and...

Well, basically, I'll go if I can.

It would have to be in St Louis, right? Like, if it's not Sinquefield/Polgar putting up the money then who?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

If you guys aren't watching (and shame on you if you aren't), we're headed into the fifth game of the tiebreaker. There have been no draws yet, and the last two games featured black winning in inexplicable fashions. This is already the best WC final ever.

e: So, yeah. Karjakin won both of the blitz games and, consequently, the World Cup. The first blitz was pretty amazing. Svidler got a winning position out of the opening in the black side of a Marshall and promptly flubbed it into a strong advantage for white. Against all odds he managed to win an exchange and was soundly winning when he hung his rook. Karjakin then carried the next game into easy equality, which led to Svidler losing when he was forced to overpress in an attempt to equalize.

So Karjakin wins the final 6-4, with zero draws. Amazing.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 5, 2015

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Hand Knit posted:

It would have to be in St Louis, right? Like, if it's not Sinquefield/Polgar putting up the money then who?

I would assume that it will be in St. Louis, yeah. You never know about a surprise bid coming in from somewhere, but...no, it's gotta be St. Louis, and it's almost certainly Sinquefield putting up the money.

And yeah, that World Cup final was amazing. Sorry if you missed it, because it was thrilling!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Just incredible that Karjakin managed to win after being down 2-0, although I'm sure fatigue really affected the play of both players. Not that you needed another clear sign that having the World Cup winner being declare the World Champion was a horrible idea.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

The 4-play Millionaire Chess final is today and can be followed on https://millionairechess.com. Le Quang Liem, Yu Yangyi, Hikaru Nakamura, and Alex Lenderman are the four finalists.

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010
From a Zurich Chess Challenge press release:

quote:

The oldest chess club in the world and its honorable member Oleg Skvortsov suggest a most important innovation for the future of new classical chess with a new time control of 40 minutes per game with additional 10 seconds for each move. We think that in the future classical chess could pass to one hour control for each player. We have come to the conclusion that the game needs to become faster.

There has to be some point where they stop shortening the time control for classical chess, right??

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

vyshka posted:

From a Zurich Chess Challenge press release:

There has to be some point where they stop shortening the time control for classical chess, right??

God drat it, no. If you want people to pay more attention to chess, make it so the best players have time to make the best moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010
Now Greg Shahade is arguing for the death of slow chess:

https://gregshahade.wordpress.com/2015/11/02/slow-chess-should-die-a-fast-death/

• Locked thread